Melbourne Football

Round 1 | Sydney FC V Melbourne City | Allianz Stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 10th of October 2015

Jimmy

We seem to not mind travelling to Sydney. Beat them last year with a team of:

Velaphi

Clisby-Kisnorbo-Jaliens-Retre

Germano-Mooy-Partaalu

Dugandzic-Koren-Brown (scored the winner)

surely we we still field a team stronger than that.. still a chance for at least a draw. 

It is looking more difficult almost by the minute, but I'd rate Richardson as highly as Chapman. IMO he's a cooler head than Chapman as well. If Chapman doesn't make it, I would think the back line will be:

Retre, Richardson, Kisnorbo and Clisby/Zullo.

And I reckon with a thinner back line than we would have hoped for JvS will go with experience and have Sorensen in goal.

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 27.Callum RICHARDSON, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 29.Stefan ZINNI, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA

**two to be omitted**

Ins: nil

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (international duty), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 5-7 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee - 1-2 weeks), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring - 4-5 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot - TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot - 1-2 weeks), 21.Stefan MAUK (international duty), 26.Marc MARINO (knee - 3 months)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 10.Robert KOREN, 11.Michael ZULLO, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 27.Callum RICHARDSON, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 29.Stefan ZINNI, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA

**two to be omitted**

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (international duty), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 5-7 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee - 1-2 weeks), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring - 4-5 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot - TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot - 1-2 weeks), 21.Stefan MAUK (international duty), 26.Marc MARINO (knee - 3 months)

the two players that we are going to omit .. hope not one of them is Mooy.. :huh:

the two players that we are going to omit .. hope not one of them is Mooy.. :huh:

Think he'll play a part, even if its just as sub. Espindola and one of Chapman/Richardson to miss out depending on whether Chapman gets up or not.

Was under the impression that Williams and Franjic, and possibly even Gameiro will be available for next week.

Edited by bt50

Look at that injury list already and we haven't even played a game yet ffs.

I don't take much notice of these squads TBH. I've seen people named as pretty much certainties who didn't even make the trip, and people be named as injured but take the field.

I don't know really why FFA bothers to announce them. All that really counts is the team sheet handed to the match officials after the warm-up.

It's been a long wait, but happy to see the season upon us.

I do believe we are capable of getting something from this game. We managed a draw last season and I think we are a lot stronger this one.

I am not sure how much Sydney have strengthened. Maybe some of you more informed guys could let me know. However, I do believe there are very good reasons to feel optimistic about this season.

Sydney (aka Scum FC, the self styled "Manchester United of Australia") have had a fair bit of turn over including the departure of top scoring Marquee Mark Janko. On paper their recruitment looks alright but probably their strongest point is their gaffer Arnold, who could seemingly almost get a title challenging team from players recruited solely from this forum.

having said that he has started seasons slowly in the past.

**two to be omitted**

Even with the players missing, that is the best squad we have ever had.

• Like 4

So;

sorenson

retre chapman kisnorbo zullo

paartalu mooy

koren

Kuzi dekker fornaroli

subs;

tando, Richardson, Melling, trifiro, espindola

Barely better than the starting XI from   Last year v Sydney tbh. Difference is novillo, franjic, gameiro, Hughes to come back in. But fuck that is terrible for first week of the season. Will be more than happy with a draw. Expect a 2-1 loss though.