Melbourne Football

Aaron Hughes

elieanid

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Still out "1-2 weeks soreness."

Why don't we just cut the bloke loose? He's not going to play for us again.

What's the point? At least he's there as a backup and its not like we have a visa player ready to go - as obvious by Koren's spot not yet being taken up.
From all reports he's a good leader so you can't say he's having a negative influence either.

He's been a massive disappointment, but cutting him loose serves absolutely no purpose.

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

What's the point? At least he's there as a backup and its not like we have a visa player ready to go - as obvious by Koren's spot not yet being taken up.
From all reports he's a good leader so you can't say he's having a negative influence either.

He's been a massive disappointment, but cutting him loose serves absolutely no purpose.

He's not there as a back-up, nor is he a leader when he can't get on the park. All we're doing is pandering to a guy who wants one last shot at being an international in the Euros. What that does is show how soft we are as a club, and don't performances such as we put on versus Newcastle show that we need to emphasise to our players that we're not just here so they can have a good time but that we do actually mean business? And hardening up might win us a few more fans too...

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's not there as a back-up, nor is he a leader when he can't get on the park. All we're doing is pandering to a guy who wants one last shot at being an international in the Euros. What that does is show how soft we are as a club, and don't performances such as we put on versus Newcastle show that we need to emphasise to our players that we're not just here so they can have a good time but that we do actually mean business? And hardening up might win us a few more fans too...

He's been injured, not 'enjoying' himself. That's not pandering to anyone, its just a fact.

If you cut him you have to pay him out - which is dead salary cap money.

Tell me what benefit we would get by terminating his contract?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

He's been injured, not 'enjoying' himself. That's not pandering to anyone, its just a fact.

If you cut him you have to pay him out - which is dead salary cap money.

Tell me what benefit we would get by terminating his contract?

Precisely what I said above. Shows to everyone that we mean business, and don't just mouth words about being the best in Australia and Asia.

15 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Precisely what I said above. Shows to everyone that we mean business, and don't just mouth words about being the best in Australia and Asia.

Yeah, I'm sure cutting an injured veteran, who's apparently a very positive influence behind the scenes, for no purpose other than to 'show we mean business' will endear players to our club and paint a great picture of ourselves to potential future recruits.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Aaron Hughes enjoying Australian barbecue lifestyle, but injury hampers his game

By Steven Beacom

23 March 2016

Aaron Hughes laughed at the memory of it. He was recalling lighting up the barbecue to cook Christmas dinner in baking 35 degree Melbourne heat. It was a first for Northern Ireland's most capped outfield player and his family.

"We still had turkey, but also seafood and other things," said Hughes, talking about his new life in Australia.

After a long career in English football with Newcastle, Aston Villa, Fulham and Brighton, last summer the 36-year-old moved Down Under to take up a fresh challenge with A-League side Melbourne City. Wife Samantha and daughters Keira and Leila went with him.

The first item Hughes bought was the barbecue.

Never easy to move house, let alone move country, the girls have settled in well to their new school.

"They love it," revealed the Cookstown man in a press conference prior to tomorrow night's friendly against Wales in Cardiff when he hopes to move within three caps of a century.

"The kids are doing well in school, my wife seems to be enjoying it and for them to have a guaranteed good summer and a great way of life is fantastic.

"Something simple like being able to eat outdoors virtually every night is a huge change from home. Some days it is actually too hot and you want to get into a nice air conditioned room. It's a good place to live."

Elaborating on his last Christmas Day, Hughes said: "I was asking the other lads what they did for Christmas. They said 'you can have a Christmas dinner if you want, but we guarantee you it will be too hot. You are best off doing seafood and salad'.

"It was actually a good experience, something different and something we enjoyed."

If the Aussie way of life is working for the Hughes family off the pitch, the Northern Ireland star admits that things have not been so good on it.

Going out to Melbourne, he was unfortunate to have a niggly calf injury. After overcoming that he worked his way into the side and showed his worth, only to pick up another injury. Fit again, he has been unable to force his way back into a team riding high in the table.

Should Hughes play in Cardiff tomorrow night, it will be his first game since January.

"The football side of things personally has been a bit frustrating," he said.

"My calf was playing up a little bit over the first half of the season but from Christmas on I was fine and had a run of games. I picked up another irritation for 10 days, so I didn't miss a great deal in terms of training. It's just that I haven't got back in the side.

"I'm trying to work my way back in. With the internationals, this is a nice change of scenery and a chance to get some minutes on the pitch.

"Going out there, I wanted to try something new. I am there to work. It has been frustrating at times and it is not easy to enjoy the good weather and the barbecues all the time because ultimately I am still there to play football and when that is going well I'm happy."

On the standard in Australia, Hughes added: "On the whole it's not bad, the standard is actually quite good. There are a lot of good players out there.

"It's a league that's trying to grow and go the right way and make a name for itself. The MLS has probably taken over as a foreign league to watch, but it's trying to attract bigger players and internationals to help it grow.

"If it keeps going in the right way, it'll get a lot better and be similar to the MLS," said Hughes, who will decide if he wishes to extend his one-year contract with Melbourne in the coming months.

For now though he is delighted to be back with the Northern Ireland squad for the game with Wales and another friendly at home to Slovenia on Monday.

Making it to 100 caps comes up in the conversation. It has been that way for some time when Aaron conducts a press conference.

"I've been edging towards it for about two years! Look, if it comes, it comes. My priorities and thoughts are more on other things and really getting back on the pitch playing. I've missed that a lot," he said.

"We'll see what happens in the next few weeks and months and obviously I have to get on the pitch first. That's my priority, working towards that.

"Over the last couple of years, it has seemed if I played in certain games, I'd reach a certain number of caps by a certain point, but it doesn't always work out that way in football.

"I don't think I'm in a position to pick and choose my games, so I'll take wherever they might come. If it happens I'll be very happy."

Hughes will be the only Northern Ireland player involved tomorrow who played the last time the sides met in Cardiff - a thrilling 2-2 draw in 2004 when David Healy, Michael Hughes and Robbie Savage were sent off.

Hughes was outstanding 12 years ago and won't let the side down if he plays this time around.

And on Euro 2016, Northern Ireland's most experienced campaigner has this to say: "Working hard and preparing well has got us results in the past and through the qualifying campaign, so if we take that same mindset into the group stages there's no reason why we can't surprise a few people."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/aaron-hughes-enjoying-australian-barbecue-lifestyle-but-injury-hampers-his-game-34564404.html

Edited by Murfy1

43 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

"If it keeps going in the right way, it'll get a lot better and be similar to the MLS," said Hughes, who will decide if he wishes to extend his one-year contract with Melbourne in the coming months.

lol. it's comforting to know that i have the same chance of playing for City next season as this dude.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Played from the 81st minute against Wales 10 days ago. And he played from the start of the 2nd half against Slovenia 7 days ago.

And here's some interesting words before these internationals:

Northern Ireland stalwart Aaron Hughes admits he could retire after Euro 2016 this summer

By David Anderson

24 Mar 2016

Hughes hopes to win the 97th cap of his 18-year international career against Wales in the friendly in Cardiff

Northern Ireland’s most-capped outfield player Aaron Hughes admits he could be ready to retire after Euro 2016 .

Hughes hopes to win the 97th cap of his 18-year international career against Wales in the friendly in Cardiff. And he admits finally playing in his first major tournament this summer could be the perfect way to bow out.

“Certainly the Euros would be a nice way to finish,” said the former Newcastle, Aston Villa and Fulham defender, who is now playing with A-League side Melbourne City.

“That said, I enjoy joining up with Northern Ireland and enjoy being an international, so it would be hard to call it a day. I’ll see how a few things pan out, then I’ll make a decision. I wouldn’t want to come here and feel like I couldn’t do a job.

“You need to be doing well at your club. You need to be playing at a high enough level to be able to cope with playing ­international football.”

Hughes , 38, is inching closer to 100 caps, but claims that is not f­oremost in his thoughts. “I have been edging towards it for about two years!” he laughed. “Look, if it comes, it comes. My priorities and thoughts are more on other things and really getting back on the pitch playing. I’ve missed that a lot. We’ll see what happens in the next few weeks and months and obviously I have to get on the pitch first.

“I don’t think I’m in a position to pick and choose my games, so I’ll take wherever they might come. If it happens I’ll be very happy.”

Northern Ireland celebrated in style after boss Michael O’Neill led them to the finals. But Hughes is the only survivor from the side, which drew 2-2 on their last visit to Cardiff in 2004, and says the players must have the right attitude tonight.

“Working hard and preparing well got us results in the qualifying campaign, so if we take that into these friendlies and then the group stages, there’s no reason why we can’t surprise a few people,” he added.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/northern-ireland-stalwart-aaron-hughes-7618983

3 minutes ago, japiedog said:

fit enough for Northern Ireland, but not fit enough for us ????

I think he's actually fit enough to play for us but can't get into the match-day squad. Doesn't say much for the quality of some of these lower-rated European national teams.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Deeming said:

Because he played in the Premier League. No other reason. Same reasoning behind signing Koren. 

Hughes played 350+ premier league games which is very good, the problem was that we signed him when he was way past it.  If he was signed 4 years ago, then he would have made a very big impact.

The 2nd most disappointing signing by CFG since Koren - and nobody will beat the level he set. Hope they are now well aware of what standard of player is required for the A-league.

I know this season is not over (and I am still hopeful of some results) but I am expecting huge things next year.

2 minutes ago, haz said:

Hughes played 350+ premier league games which is very good, the problem was that we signed him when he was way past it.  If he was signed 4 years ago, then he would have made a very big impact.

100% agree.
Both Hughes and Koren would have been decent signings if they had been signed 4 years ago.
But for their last few seasons they were sitting on the bench for low tier PL or Championship teams.
CFG I assume but maybe JvS had it in their heads that just because they'd played PL then they would come to the football backwater of the A-League and would do well. Big mistake. Good foreign signings have been players in their mid-late 20's who were a level or two down from the PL.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deeming said:

100% agree.
Both Hughes and Koren would have been decent signings if they had been signed 4 years ago.
But for their last few seasons they were sitting on the bench for low tier PL or Championship teams.
CFG I assume but maybe JvS had it in their heads that just because they'd played PL then they would come to the football backwater of the A-League and would do well. Big mistake. Good foreign signings have been players in their mid-late 20's who were a level or two down from the PL.

I am optimistic that the lesson has been learnt by CFG. Hopefully we won't see people past their use by date being given contracts by MCFC (Sorenson of course being the exception).

1 hour ago, Deeming said:

100% agree.

I agree.

A big issue with both these guys is that their old legs couldn't cope with hard Australian grounds. Neither could stay on the field.

please CFG remember No more 35 year olds.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Here's the real question: Out of Aaron Hughes or Steven Gray who was the worse signing?

Gray by no contest.

Don't get me wrong, Hughes was as disappointing a signing as you could get but he had a lot of bad luck with injury.

Gray wasn't injured, he was just genuinely shit and not even close to a league standard.