Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

43 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Absolutely amazing to think that what Luis Garcia has done on the Central Coast would be preferred to what Bruno Fornaroli has done for Melbourne City.

I am still absolutely gobsmacked that people think its unfair in any way that the FFA wont give us any money

6 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I am still absolutely gobsmacked that people think its unfair in any way that the FFA wont give us any money

Im the same, well maybe not gobsmacked. The marquee fund should only be there for clubs who wouldnt normally be able to go after a marquee. So that rules out us, visitors, Sydney and WSW 

49 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Absolutely amazing to think that what Luis Garcia has done on the Central Coast would be preferred to what Bruno Fornaroli has done for Melbourne City.

And this is the problem. It just seems to me they've leant nothing from their guest player fiasco (fiasco because it's not used& never will be, as it's impossible to meet the criteria). 

How many scouts do the FFA employ? What capacity do they actually have to know what impact a player will have on the league? Micro managing something you don't know anything about rarely ends well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I doubt that CFG particularly cares about the "marquee fund" or a couple of hundred thousand here or there. 

After speaking to someone at the club I can say that I'm certain that this is a misconception that continues to be associated with CFG. CFG didn't get to where they are by throwing money away.  Every dollar that goes through  Melbourne city must been accounted for.  So when the FFA is providing assistance to bring in big marquee players you better believe that CFG will try to utilise this just as much as any other club in the league.  If of course it fits in with their plans. 

49 minutes ago, n i k o said:

After speaking to someone at the club I can say that I'm certain that this is a misconception that continues to be associated with CFG. CFG didn't get to where they are by throwing money away.  Every dollar that goes through  Melbourne city must been accounted for.  So when the FFA is providing assistance to bring in big marquee players you better believe that CFG will try to utilise this just as much as any other club in the league.  If of course it fits in with their plans. 

Of course CFG is a business and they will endeavour to use it if it fits their plans. But it appears now that it the "marquee fund" isn't for clubs that FFA considers are wealthy enough to do their own thing. Fair enough, but let's have clarity right from the start. FFA never seems to think these things through. The message I get from de Bohun is "Piss off and do your own thing. Except of course, if you want to do something that we suddenly decide isn't what we think we want."

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

My issue isn't with giving us money, the problem is teams are incentivised to go hunt down older players (Luis Garcia hadn't played since 2014), rather than Fornaroli.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Im the same, well maybe not gobsmacked. The marquee fund should only be there for clubs who wouldnt normally be able to go after a marquee. So that rules out us, visitors, Sydney and WSW 

The funny thing is if you look at the past 2 seasons, us, Sydney, victory and WSW haven't signed big name marquees (the type of marquees needed to get Marquee fund money), and instead have signed small name marquees (and, it turned out, mostly very unsuccessful marquees) with the likes of Koren, Holosko and Piovaccari.

So I'd say all A-League clubs could use at least some assistance with signing marquees, because I reckon it would be pretty negative for the league if the next 2 seasons have marquees as unglamorous as the past 2 seasons.

BTW, to be clear, I reckon the ideal marquees for the league is one part small name players ("who become big name players in Australia") like Fornaroli, Berisha and Ono, and one part big name players who put bums on seats, like Del Piero, Villa and Garcia.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

The funny thing is if you look at the past 2 seasons, us, Sydney, victory and WSW haven't signed big name marquees (the type of marquees needed to get Marquee fund money), and instead have signed small name marquees (and, it turned out, mostly very unsuccessful marquees) with the likes of Koren, Holosko and Piovaccari.

So I'd say all A-League clubs could use at least some assistance with signing marquees, because I reckon it would be pretty negative for the league if the next 2 seasons have marquees as unglamorous as the past 2 seasons.

BTW, to be clear, I reckon the ideal marquees for the league is one part small name players ("who become big name players in Australia") like Fornaroli, Berisha and Ono, and one part big name players who put bums on seats, like Del Piero, Villa and Garcia.

I think the clubs not signing 'big name' marquees is not really to do with assistance (given that the assistance that FFA could provide would be minimal) but more because there seems to be a bit of an opinion floating around that the 'marquee' of a no name becoming one, ala Tuna, Berisha etc is seen as more 'pure' and that the club issnt 'selling out'. 

Now that we have two marquee spots. Its clear that we need a big name to replace Mooy, our growth has stagnated. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a Man City player who issnt needed under Guardiola.  I think they still feel a little burnt about Koren

3 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

The marquee fund isn't football centrelink. It's there to subsidise quality marquee players.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

It pretty much is football centrelink. Its there to bring in players to clubs that cant afford them

There's nothing in what I've read that even hints that the fund is directed at "clubs that can't afford them."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-releases-fouryear-plan-in-the-hope-of-securing-major-new-broadcasting-deal-20160308-gnda1y.html

" Most notably, the FFA will form a centralised pool to help those clubs who want to purchase marquee players, with a "seven-figure amount" set aside to help fund the next generation of star players as revealed by Fairfax Media  on February 25."

• Like 2

Just now, KSK_47 said:

It pretty much is football centrelink. Its there to bring in players to clubs that cant afford them

Not at all.

It has nothing to do with whether they can afford them or not, it's about making signing a marquee player a more attractive investment by lowering the cost in light of the league-wide benefits.

For example, the big teams in the league like us, Sydney, and Victory, could afford big names. But given the high cost, the benefits to the individual team aren't enough to justify the cost. It doesn't appear to be a smart investment. The problem is that one team is paying all the costs, but the whole league is reaping the benefit. If you look at it from the perspective of the league as a whole it is a good investment, but if you look at it from the point of view of one club it isn't since they aren't deriving enough benefit to justify the cost. So the FFA is trying to solve this problem by paying for the benefit accrued by the rest of the league, lowering the cost for the individual team, and hopefully making it an attractive investment for the individual team. If that happens, then it's a win for the whole league.

The fact is, even with the marquee fund, and especially given that the FFA appears to be really looking for 'big names', teams like CCM and Newcastle are still not going to be able to afford these players. It's still most likely going to end up going to us, Victory, and Sydney. It's certainly not a measure that is going to help out the less well off clubs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I stand corrected

But I still think its ridiculous that people think we should be given any money at all

Why not? There is a league-wide benefit to us signing marquee players just as there is if any other team signs a marquee player.

Also, I think it's been demonstrated by now that our club is run on a reasonable budget, one that is not significantly higher than what teams like Victory and Sydney would have.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Why not? There is a league-wide benefit to us signing marquee players just as there is if any other team signs a marquee player.

Also, I think it's been demonstrated by now that our club is run on a reasonable budget, one that is not significantly higher than what teams like Victory and Sydney would have.

Because i dont think him being in tge leauge will significantly benifit anyone but us.

Plus regardless of what our budget is CFG dont need any financial help 

Edited by KSK_47

The whole problem I have is the amount allocated is a load of shit - well and truly too small when you consider what Lampard, Pirlo et al are on.

9 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Because i dont think him being in tge leauge will significantly benifit anyone but us.

IIRC attendance for most away Sydney games did rise during del Pierro's first season (particularly early on before people realised Sydney were still shit)

Just now, mattyh001 said:

IIRC attendance for most away Sydney games did rise during del Pierro's first season (particularly early on before people realised Sydney were still shit)

Hesky too.

But the fact is that unless its a huge name it doesnt help anyone but the team they play for. And even then you could put a steong case forward that big names dont actually help anyone at all in the bigger picture.

4 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Hesky too.

But the fact is that unless its a huge name it doesnt help anyone but the team they play for. And even then you could put a steong case forward that big names dont actually help anyone at all in the bigger (longer term) picture.

Agree and unfortunately it's a fair old chicken and egg story when it comes to drawing in the interest of new fans.  I've always found people don't generally like getting out of their comfort zone.  To do so they need something so awesome or gimmicky they feel they are on a winner.

So to bring in a world class player does make people feel in awe in some way shape or form (more so if they already have some football knowledge in terms of marques). To extent you could argue Luis Garcia did this.

The problem is you need quality behind the product or people will feel used.

So how do you keep the balance? After all an expanding supporter base brings new and continuously increasing revenue base, which what helps maintain sustainability and can be reinvested

42 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I didn't realise you were talking about Fornaroli specifically, yes I suppose he isn't a "big name" and going by the spirit of this idea then he shouldn't be subsidised. But the reason I was saying all marquee wages should be subsidised is because otherwise it's a system that is based around subjectivity, and the FFA have shown they can't really be trusted to be unbiased in such decisions. Hence my preference for it to apply to all marquees.

42 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I don't want to keep going on about it as I don't think we'll agree, but I just want to say it's not about 'financial help', it's about providing an increased incentive to sign big name players. If it was a case of 'financial help' then yeah CFG don't need it.

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you're going to spend your money on it. The idea is to encourage clubs to spend their money on big name players. 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Why should we spend a shed load of money, $2-4M, on a 'big' name player when we have the most lethal guy ever to have played in the HAL  - and a hell of a good guy at that?

Lotta man-love for Bruno tonight :up:.

I`ve heard a big named midfielder is close to being finalised for next season.

If this bloke isn't tied down to a 4 year multi-million dollar contract, fold the fucking club. That first goal was one of the best goal's i have ever seen live, lost for words, fucking incredible. Should be the face of this football club for years to come. Amazing

7 hours ago, rass said:

...and what did he say when interviewed by Zappas?

'We haven't won anything yet'

Brilliant.

I fucking love this guy!

We have had players who gave a shit about the club before, but they have been rubbish. We have had some great players at the club but none of them really cared. And we have had some utter shit players who didnt give a fuck either.

But Bruno. Fucking hell. What more can you say about this bloke

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tesla said:

Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you're going to spend your money on it. The idea is to encourage clubs to spend their money on big name players. 

Oh i forgot to reply to this. I completely agree that if its a signing that the FFA want but the club doesnt or they are lukewarm about then, yes i completely agree the FFA should pay for it or at least subsidise the club.

But this all came about because people were complaining that the FFA wont help us pay to keep Bruno here.

And after last night i will say that i was completely wrong about this. The club, the FFA, the fucking state and federal governments need to do everything in their power to make sure he stays.

• jw1739 locked this topic