Melbourne Football

Melbourne City v Newcastle Jets - Sat 14 March

MHFCROB24

VELAPHI- Easiest game of his career. Didn't make a save all night and got a clean sheet.

RETRE- Wasn't awful, but his positioning left a lot to be desired. Tended to attack up the pitch and when the ball was turned over he forgot he was a defender and didn't drop back.

JALIENS- Gotta be happy with a goal, even if it was as poorly defended as that. Good on him for sticking it up the Jets though.

KISNORBO- Distribution is fucking awful. Wasn't tested defensively at all tonight.

CLISBY- Thought he was decent going forward, loses the ball up the pitch a tad too often for my liking. Wasn't tested defensively.

GERMANO- Thought he was decent, good to see him back on the park! Covered for Paartalu very well too.

MOOY- Same old same old. No one in the Newcastle team is good enough to clean his boots.

KOREN- That assist to Williams shows how brilliant he can be. Everything else shows why that's not good enough.

DUGANDZIC- Looked really poor tonight. It would appear old Mate is dead and gone.

NOVILLO- Another great game tonight, so much spark and creativity going forwadd, exactly what we've been lacking! Nicely taken goal too. Needs to cut the rolling on the floor bullshit. This isn't Europe.

KENNEDY- Really poor tonight. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

WILLIAMS- Finally scored! Showed that he is still a good attacking option on his night, his pressure and pace up front really is awesome.

MURDOCCA- Get ball. Run for 3kms. Pass sideways. Repeat x1000.

RAMSAY- Did more in 10 minutes than Dugandzic did in 80. Actually looked good tonight even though he wasn't on for long. Nice finish for his goal too.

Good win tonight over a disgrace of a team, but don't let it blind you to the bigger picture. 5000 on a Saturday night says all you need to know. Sack the manager and sack the Heart administration.

Flares? Opinions? I must say, put a downer on a good night ...

Flares are stupid, dangerous and make us look like the idiots the tards are. The media love this stuff to show what a rabble football supporters are.

They're not dangerous, that's just a myth pushed by the afl driven media 

VELAPHI- Easiest game of his career. Didn't make a save all night and got a clean sheet.

RETRE- Wasn't awful, but his positioning left a lot to be desired. Tended to attack up the pitch and when the ball was turned over he forgot he was a defender and didn't drop back.

JALIENS- Gotta be happy with a goal, even if it was as poorly defended as that. Good on him for sticking it up the Jets though.

KISNORBO- Distribution is fucking awful. Wasn't tested defensively at all tonight.

CLISBY- Thought he was decent going forward, loses the ball up the pitch a tad too often for my liking. Wasn't tested defensively.

GERMANO- Thought he was decent, good to see him back on the park! Covered for Paartalu very well too.

MOOY- Same old same old. No one in the Newcastle team is good enough to clean his boots.

KOREN- That assist to Williams shows how brilliant he can be. Everything else shows why that's not good enough.

DUGANDZIC- Looked really poor tonight. It would appear old Mate is dead and gone.

NOVILLO- Another great game tonight, so much spark and creativity going forwadd, exactly what we've been lacking! Nicely taken goal too. Needs to cut the rolling on the floor bullshit. This isn't Europe.

KENNEDY- Really poor tonight. Hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

WILLIAMS- Finally scored! Showed that he is still a good attacking option on his night, his pressure and pace up front really is awesome.

MURDOCCA- Get ball. Run for 3kms. Pass sideways. Repeat x1000.

RAMSAY- Did more in 10 minutes than Dugandzic did in 80. Actually looked good tonight even though he wasn't on for long. Nice finish for his goal too.

Good win tonight over a disgrace of a team, but don't let it blind you to the bigger picture. 5000 on a Saturday night says all you need to know. Sack the manager and sack the Heart administration.

I would add that Novillo does have one flaw in his game - he is flat footed. So basically if he is standing still, he is not fast off the mark.

I didn't think that Kennedy had such a bad game as he did a lot more pressing than I thought that he was capable of. Elsewhere I said that the team (perhaps more importantly the coach) has not worked out how to mould the team together.

Williams was good as a sub - once again.

Flares? Opinions? I must say, put a downer on a good night ...

I think they look great, although I also respect why they are banned. Public liability/insurance is a major factor with any public event so its not just the man wanting to ruin peoples fun, and injuries/asthma attacks have occurred from them in Australia. I also don't think ripping them inside a trainstation is a great idea. 

• Like 1

Well some people seem to have forgotten the incident of 2012 when two girls were burned by a flare:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/soccer-fans-silent-on-dangerous-flare-20121031-28l4d.html

Yes, flares are dangerous when they become projectiles, as do most other objects, eg a chair. That doesn't mean they're particularly dangerous in any other state.

• Like 1

All smoke and mirrors for me. Newcastle Jets are well below the A-League standard and it showed as they gave us very little problems going forward.. Koren was played in Mooys position and I have to say he looked very average, did his best not to score..

Overall, to little to late... We needed 7 point minimum from our last 3 games and we got 3.. We have won 7 games in 22 matches which for me is unacceptable for any team in any league..

All smoke and mirrors for me. Newcastle Jets are well below the A-League standard and it showed as they gave us very little problems going forward.. Koren was played in Mooys position and I have to say he looked very average, did his best not to score..

Overall, to little to late... We needed 7 point minimum from our last 3 games and we got 3.. We have won 7 games in 22 matches which for me is unacceptable for any team in any league..

Exactly. We needed at least 7 points. Should have easily got 9 with good coaching. We failed miserably. Got 3.

JVS out.

Well some people seem to have forgotten the incident of 2012 when two girls were burned by a flare:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/soccer-fans-silent-on-dangerous-flare-20121031-28l4d.html

Yes, flares are dangerous when they become projectiles, as do most other objects, eg a chair. That doesn't mean they're particularly dangerous in any other state.

But chairs don't burn at 1,300C, produce dangerous fumes, have the potential to incite panic, obscure the view of other members etc.etc.  Sadly it seems we also have the 15% of people who see no problems with them.

But chairs don't burn at 1,300C, produce dangerous fumes, have the potential to incite panic, obscure the view of other members etc.etc.  Sadly it seems we also have the 15% of people who see no problems with them.

Not too fussed either way. Does have more than a tinge of 'please pay attention to us' though. The sick carnts can knock themselves out; I'm watching the game.

There is one meathead guy, new kit, who faces the terrace - back to the game for the entirety of the match.

This guy makes me laugh.

Yes I saw him, he looked like he was taking whatever he was meant to be doing very seriously. Bit strange though if parts of our active support don't even watch the game though... There were a bunch of kids in black in active doing the same thing (backs to game) at the Adelaide game too.

• Like 1

I will make a comment on the bouncing chant.

Once we finally figured out the words (whose not bouncing, hates Melbourne oi,oi,oi), I still don't think it was effective and not through a lack of bouncing but rather poor words and tune.

To the lad who was promoting it, I really value your work and passion for the terrace as well as your younger brother but I just don't think this is going to work :(

Once we finally figured out the words (whose not bouncing, hates Melbourne oi,oi,oi), I still don't think it was effective and not through a lack of bouncing but rather poor words and tune.

To the lad who was promoting it, I really value your work and passion for the terrace as well as your younger brother but I just don't think this is going to work :(

from the other end of the stadium it looked like everyone was jumping, but just couldn't hear a word you were saying Edited by Demon_Heart
  • Like 1

Yeah, couldn't figure out what we were singing haha.

5687. So only about 25,000 under capacity.

Only half of our season ticket holders, people who have already paid for their seat for this game, had bothered to turn up. If 50% of our own season ticket holders can't be bothered attending a home game then this should be a matter of concern for CFG. How on earth do they expect to attract new fans when the current team is so unentertaining?

5687. So only about 25,000 under capacity.

Only half of our season ticket holders, people who have already paid for their seat for this game, had bothered to turn up. If 50% of our own season ticket holders can't be bothered attending a home game then this should be a matter of concern for CFG. How on earth do they expect to attract new fans when the current team is so unentertaining?

And when the gap between us and our direct competition for supporters in the market is about double figures in points, roughly where it's been for all but one year of our existence?

Newcastle have never been a big drawcard in our home matches, except for the David Villa match this season.

2010/11: Wednesday 2,754 (IIRC an appallingly wet day);

2011/12: Saturday 5,914;

2012/13: Saturday 7,125

Tuesday (New Year's Day) 5,614;

2013/14: Friday 5,046 (lowest home crowd of the season)

2014/15: Sunday (David Villa match) 15,717;

Saturday 5,867.

It really shits me when I hear people on here kick our team when we're down, but then aren't satisfied when we do win.

Yeah Newcastle were awful, but we still had to win and in the end, 4-0 is a commanding victory.

I don't give a toss about the quality of the goals, or who scored them. I'm just happy we came out and won and didn't give up on the season yet.

The fact is Brisbane lost today, which means we're above them for the time being.

That puts the pressure back on them to get above us, even if they have two games in hand.

If we beat them next time we play them, then we're 5 points clear, meaning anything less than two wins will see them not overtake us.

We're still alive, so let's just get behind them. As much as some of these blokes shit us to tears, I still want to see them make the finals.

...and I don't want to hear the: 'want to lose so x or y can fuk off' lines, because nothing pisses me off more than hearing our own supporters wanting us to lose. That other stuff will take care of itself.

Speaking for myself, I've seen it all before. My indifference is directly related to the fact that if we lose on Friday night, yesterday means nothing. Like how three appalling performances against Central Coast have immediately cancelled out great wins against Brisbane, Newcastle and Adelaide this year. Get something away against Sydney, then nothing less than a win against Brisbane and I might start believing in them. Because right now, I'm predicting 0-1 points.

This team is so predictably unpredictable. I knew we'd smash Newcastle last night. Like I said: whoop de doo. I'll be watching with interest over the next fortnight, to see how this team fares against two teams with at least as much to play for.

• Like 2

It really shits me when I hear people on here kick our team when we're down, but then aren't satisfied when we do win.

Yeah Newcastle were awful, but we still had to win and in the end, 4-0 is a commanding victory.

I don't give a toss about the quality of the goals, or who scored them. I'm just happy we came out and won and didn't give up on the season yet.

The fact is Brisbane lost today, which means we're above them for the time being.

That puts the pressure back on them to get above us, even if they have two games in hand.

If we beat them next time we play them, then we're 5 points clear, meaning anything less than two wins will see them not overtake us.

We're still alive, so let's just get behind them. As much as some of these blokes shit us to tears, I still want to see them make the finals.

...and I don't want to hear the: 'want to lose so x or y can fuk off' lines, because nothing pisses me off more than hearing our own supporters wanting us to lose. That other stuff will take care of itself.

Speaking for myself, I've seen it all before. My indifference is directly related to the fact that if we lose on Friday night, yesterday means nothing. Like how three appalling performances against Central Coast have immediately cancelled out great wins against Brisbane, Newcastle and Adelaide this year. Get something away against Sydney, then nothing less than a win against Brisbane and I might start believing in them. Because right now, I'm predicting 0-1 points.

This team is so predictably unpredictable. I knew we'd smash Newcastle last night. Like I said: whoop de doo. I'll be watching with interest over the next fortnight, to see how this team fares against two teams with at least as much to play for.

I am in the same mindset, I think It's a protection mode so that I don't get sucked in again. Having said that I have never had the feeling of it would be better to loose. I am just muddling along hoping things turn but deep down knowing that this season is beyond us. I am hoping more good decisions than bad ones are made in the off season, so that next year we are comfortably in 4 or 5 and really looking forward to finals.

• Like 3

I am in the same mindset, I think It's a protection mode so that I don't get sucked in again. Having said that I have never had the feeling of it would be better to loose. I am just muddling along hoping things turn but deep down knowing that this season is beyond us. I am hoping more good decisions than bad ones are made in the off season, so that next year we are comfortably in 4 or 5 and really looking forward to finals.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. I will admit that in the darkest days of Aloisi, I definitely had a 'if we must lose, let it be an absolute shellacking' mindset, just so he wouldn't be able to keep saying how unlucky we were, but that's the extent of it. But even then, I can't remember thinking I'd rather lose than win, even if a win meant a stay of execution for Aloisi.

Exactly how i feel.

Melbourne city reminds me of that hot chick at school who you always wanted to go out with in school. She would always give you small signs throughout school showing that she likes you back,and you build up your confidence enough to ask her out.... only to find out shes been fucking the biggest douchebag in the school the whole time.

I'm not going to invest anything emotionally in this team unless they can prove their changing their old ways. A good performance on Friday night would suck me back in.

I think i just hate losing a hell of alot more than i like winning

That makes no sense.

But I agree with you.

I remember when I was a little tacker, I heard Charles Barkley say something along those lines in an interview (it went something like: 'I hate losing. I don't really care about winning, but I really, really hate to lose'). I rolled it around in my head for a few seconds and thought 'What a genius! That's exactly how I feel!'

Totally agree with SF. 

Beating Newcastle last night felt hollow after our losses to CCM and WSW because they were the ones we needed. They were the worst losses (as in hardest to take) I've seen in a long time. Particularly WSW as we were up twice.  

It was almost as if the team knew they fucked up, so they put in a decent effort against Newcastle as an apology, knowing full well that they'd blown it.

Of course, with Brisbane's tough schedule, our individual quality and the fact that we have players returning from injury, we might just scrape through. Nothing like an underdog tag to bring the best out of a football team.