Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

15 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Was falling before he hit Broich and no one touched him before hand, so it was a dive. 

Nah. You can argue he was falling, but you could just as easily argue he was pushing forward to get between players.

In the end,  it was contact with Broich's leg that took him to ground. 

Clear penalty. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rass said:

Nah. You can argue he was falling, but you could just as easily argue he was pushing forward to get between players.

In the end,  it was contact with Broich's leg that took him to ground. 

Clear penalty. 

Its alot easier to argue to he was falling before hand because he intentionally started falling before he hit Broich. As soon as he saw the bunch of players around him he was always going to go down on his own, you can tell by the way he falls (which again, started before Broich when there was no contact before hand) he threw himself onto Broich which I don't really care if he did or not, its apart of the game.

Besides, his reaction on the ground says it all IMO

2 minutes ago, alexli said:

It is valid to argue there is no penalty as he lost control of the ball, but definitely no yellow

He deliberatly lost control. He kicked it out in front and fell down with his leg out toward Broich. 

No penalty, a blatant dive and a justified yellow for same. It might be an unpopular view but IMO Harry had a poor match last night - the only blemish on a great team performance. He's nowhere fit to last 90 minutes and showed a poor work ethic throughout the match. It's very evident that he sulks if things don't go exactly his way.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No penalty, a blatant dive and a justified yellow for same. It might be an unpopular view but IMO Harry had a poor match last night - the only blemish on a great team performance. He's nowhere fit to last 90 minutes and showed a poor work ethic throughout the match. It's very evident that he sulks if things don't go exactly his way.

Really disagree here. Thought he had a good game and if he had scored, people would have been raving about it.

With Bruno shut out and Mooy a bit flat in the first half, he was the only one who looked threatening. They all then switched on after that.

• Like 2

You gotta realise that Novillo always creates space for a shot and gets into good positions using his own skill and pace unlike any other winger in the league. Whenever he wants to cut-in from the left, 9/10 he's able to even though the defenders know exactly what he wants to do. For this reason, I rarely say that he's had a poor game as, even when the defence is happy to sit deep, he creates goal scoring opportunities but more often than not, his shot marginally lets him down.

As for the penalty shout, there's nothing else he could have done there. Broich had his leg fully outstretched, not like he pulled out of the challenge. So there's nothing else Harry could have done in that situation other than go down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

After watching the replay a number of times it wasn't a penalty. He started to fall before contact and it was him that instigated the contact as well by dragging his right foot behind him. 

Really surprised by opinions here. To me Bruno's was a lot more controversial (he went down AFTER he shrugged off Hingert).

Anyway that's football, everyone sees things differently, that's why it's so captivating. 

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Really surprised by opinions here. To me Bruno's was a lot more controversial (he went down AFTER he shrugged off Hingert).

Anyway that's football, everyone sees things differently, that's why it's so captivating. 

You've actually pointed out the difference. Bruno went down after he was fouled. Harry was going down before he was fouled. 

Just now, n i k o said:

You've actually pointed out the difference. Bruno went down after he was fouled. Harry was going down before he was fouled. 

yeah but I don't think Harry did (and like you i've seen it many times), he went down because he was fouled.  Bruno looked to me like he could keep going if he really wanted to.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

yeah but I don't think Harry did (and like you i've seen it many times), he went down because he was fouled.  Bruno looked to me like he could keep going if he really wanted to.

The incident happened in front of me - I don't think he could have gone on but maybe stumbled on. NextGen and I were off our seats before Bruno hit the ground.

IMO Novillo produced a solid game and deserves to be praised alongside Fornaroli and Mooy. I saw a clear pen in the first half--Broich clearly moves across and it's a blocking foul (annoyingly Broich is the best in the comp at reacting to get the decisions he wants from the ref). I don't see the looking-for-contact argument at all; I see lively player quickly running into the box and Broich moving his body and right leg into place to block Novillo's run. And Bowles should have been sent off for a crystal clear second yellow after Novillo skinned him. If the refs makes those 2 correct calls, then Novillo would have been the biggest game-changer last night, more so than Mooy or Fornaroli.

I also agree that Novillo is defending more. He still carries that attitude and swagger of his, which maybe rubs some people (and referees perhaps?) the wrong way, but I see Novillo currently performing in defence and really performing in attack.

One thing I'd like to see from Novillo though is another goal. I reckon Novillo is a confidence player (as seen with his scoring streaks earlier this season), and if he could bag a goal against the Nix then Melbourne City's attack will be white-hot over the remainder of the season and heading into the finals.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Murfy1 said:

IMO Novillo produced a solid game and deserves to be praised alongside Fornaroli and Mooy. I saw a clear pen in the first half--Broich clearly moves across and it's a blocking foul (annoyingly Broich is the best in the comp at reacting to get the decisions he wants from the ref). I don't see the looking-for-contact argument at all; I see lively player quickly running into the box and Broich moving his body and right leg into place to block Novillo's run. And Bowles should have been sent off for a crystal clear second yellow after Novillo skinned him. If the refs makes those 2 correct calls, then Novillo would have been the biggest game-changer last night, more so than Mooy or Fornaroli.

I also agree that Novillo is defending more. He still carries that attitude and swagger of his, which maybe rubs some people (and referees perhaps?) the wrong way, but I see Novillo currently performing in defence and really performing in attack.

One thing I'd like to see from Novillo though is another goal. I reckon Novillo is a confidence player (as seen with his scoring streaks earlier this season), and if he could bag a goal against the Nix then Melbourne City's attack will be white-hot over the remainder of the season and heading into the finals.

Do a TIFO of Novillo like Fornaroli and he will probably beat Tuna to the golden boot

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I don't see the lazy Harry some people are talking about.

Harry is a bit off with his shooting right now though (a few weeks ago he would have scored our 4th in that match for instance), I think Murf is right- it's confidence. Get one in and he'll be right again.

I agree, he defends from the front all the time. It seems some want him to run as far back to the centre backs, be out of position and then find himself  nowhere to be found when we are on the counter. Then will get criticised for being out of position. Cant win 

Edited by Dylan

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I agree, he defends from the front all the time. It seems some want him to run as far back to the centre backs, be out of position and then be nowhere to be found when we are on the counter. Then will get criticised for being out of position. Cant win 

Exactly. 

I think Bruno did exactly this once. Tracked back along way then when we regained the ball charged forward and actually recived ball at the edge of the box but was stuffed and lost it.

I think Harry cops it more for his body language than actual output. IMO he just needs to keep playing exactly how he has. Doing a top job.

11 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Agree a lot here. His body language may not be what people want to see sometimes but on balance he is one of the reasons why we are near the top of the ladder. His unpredictability is an asset because if you have a bunch of robots on the field then you're not going to get that cheeky pass or an audacious shot that can win matches. Love how he is able to hold the ball and barge past 2 or 3 opposition players and then lay it off. He genuinely can break open a defense - literally. He also seems to work well with Mooy and especially Bruno. There aren't many players in the HAL that are definitely exciting to watch but he is one of them.

• Like 4

I understand why the Novillo penalty was not given. But if you knock the ball past a defender and you run in a direct line after the ball and the defender (Broich) just stands with his leg out to block your path to the ball, then if you make contact and/or fall over it, to get a yellow is just ridiculous. If he (Broich) pulls his leg out of the way and you go out of your way to make contact, a yellow is fair enough. But Broich didn't do that, he just stood still in a half crouch as if he was taking a shit. 50/50 penalty-wise so I'm not upset not to get it, but no way known a yellow.   

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Nah he's leaving he told me sorry guys.

When my man @strider tells me I'll believe it!

Why?  well we know Strider now sleeps rough in view of harry's apartment with binoculars and laptop.  Pretty sure he has his phone and apartment bugged etc (and the hidden cameras go without saying).      

• Like 1