Melbourne Football

The Kew Jaliens thread

kingofhearts

Just dont see what we gain. For me id prefer a youth team player get promoted.If they struggle then so be it.

I thought this until I saw Archibald play. There seems to be a pretty big gap between the ability of some of our youth players and what is required in the A League. Because as shit as these injury replacement types are the Youth Players are clearly not up to the standard yet...

Otherwise JVS would be playing them it's a feature of his coaching and PPL on here need to realise that the jump from NYL to A-League is much more sizeable than say from VFL to AFL.

The best illustration of this gap was a while back when Mauk's made his debut against SFC in S3 a while back, the guy was killing it in the NYL but when JA through him into the middle with the clock ticking down in the big time it plain and simple cost us the game.

The NYL side is not this team of ready made talent to draw upon... In fact often some players are picked for NYL Teams because they show more potential than other more complete players.

• Like 1

There is always going to be a gap. What pisses me off is that instead of putting in a youth team player and potentially seeing him struggle we bring in a proven spud for a game or two. Okay it doesn't cost and isn't risky. But it removes the opportunity of fringe player at least being involved in match day squad and what goes on during the week. I maybe wrong about Jaliens but what Ive seen has been very ordinary.

marino didnt look too bad away at Brisbane tho

He is one of the 9-10 on the injured list and has been for some time.

i was mentioning him to say he didnt look out of place in the 1st team with his positioning for the goal he scored in Brisbane so one of the few who looks like he can bridge the gap

Why hasn't anybody bought up the issue of the medical staff? People talking about getting a new coach/players, the medical staff are responsible for keeping the players fit which they have failed misresbaly this season. If anyone should be sacked first it should be them. 

I am certainly leaning towards this point of view BUT I am not sure whether its right to hold them to account. Take for instance Garuccio and Paartalau who according to people on this forum it was Brendan Santalab that crippled both of them; and then of course Duff got done by Krishna. Medical staff can't do much about hitmen coming after our players. However some of the other injuries we are not told specifically what they are and how they happened. As an example Brown, Mate, Velaphi and Wieleart all got injured in the training camp over at Abu Dhabi. But we haven't been told precisely what those injuries are and how they happened.

Just dont see what we gain. For me id prefer a youth team player get promoted.If they struggle then so be it.

I thought this until I saw Archibald play. There seems to be a pretty big gap between the ability of some of our youth players and what is required in the A League.Because as shit as these injury replacement types are the Youth Players are clearly not up to the standard yet...

Otherwise JVS would be playing them it's a feature of his coaching and PPL on here need to realise that the jump from NYL to A-League is much more sizeable than say from VFL to AFL.

The best illustration of this gap was a while back when Mauk's made his debut against SFC in S3 a while back, the guy was killing it in the NYL but when JA through him into the middle with the clock ticking down in the big time it plain and simple cost us the game.

The NYL side is not this team of ready made talent to draw upon... In fact often some players are picked for NYL Teams because they show more potential than other more complete players. The illustration that I draw on is after seeing a few youth games last year I quickly concluded that, of those without senior contracts, Retre and Archibald were clearly the stand outs. Now we see how both have struggled in the A League this year.

Coaching and training is never going to bridge this chasm. Bringing these guys into the NPL though , playing against men, that will help and then maybe coaching can assist in getting them closer.

• Like 1

I thought this until I saw Archibald play. There seems to be a pretty big gap between the ability of some of our youth players and what is required in the A League. Because as shit as these injury replacement types are the Youth Players are clearly not up to the standard yet...

The NYL side is not this team of ready made talent to draw upon... In fact often some players are picked for NYL Teams because they show more potential than other more complete players.

This sums it up right for me.

I was at the pre-season game against Pascoe Vale a few months back where we pretty much fielded our NYL team.

There wasn't that much of a difference between us and them... and the players that stood out that night for me were Brown and I also thought Melling was good too.

I remember watching Dekker and some of the other young lads and thought they were a fair way off playing A-League.

Now of course a few months have gone by and these boys are doing an amazing job in the NYL, but they still have a lot of progression to make and hence I can totally why they wouldn't be considered ready just yet.

anyone remember Marcel Meewuis? Lol. This clubs recruitment is an absolute disgrace.

anyone remember Aaron Mooy? Lol. This clubs recruitment is absolutely awesome.

under the cap I might add. Erik Paartalu? Under the cap. Damien Duff? Under the cap.

Fold the club.

BT, I know that you're forever the optimist, a glass half full kind of guy, but you can't deny our recruiting as a whole has been nothing but sub par.

I can't think of one good international player we've recruited that wasn't over 30.

Yes, our Aussie recruitment has been serviceable, particularly this season, but overall we've been horrendous.

Also, I know some will disagree, but Duff can hardly be considered a success. For the amount of cap space we have invested in a 35+ year old, the return has definitely not been worth it.

• Like 1

I tend to agree that Duff hasn't exactly been amazing, considering his experience.

He has been one of our better players overall, yet has struggled to make the impact many expected from him.

This Jaliens' signing is one that at first look tends to be confusing, yet it may well be important to have an experienced back up leading into this key part of the season for us.

The next priority is to get a replacement for Duff. Hard to get anyone great at this stage, but let's hope Manchester City can help us out :)

BT, I know that you're forever the optimist, a glass half full kind of guy, but you can't deny our recruiting as a whole has been nothing but sub par.

I can't think of one good international player we've recruited that wasn't over 30.

Yes, our Aussie recruitment has been serviceable, particularly this season, but overall we've been horrendous.

Also, I know some will disagree, but Duff can hardly be considered a success. For the amount of cap space we have invested in a 35+ year old, the return has definitely not been worth it.

As a whole yes, this season no.

The international quota has been difficult for CFG to do much about this season with the exception of the marquee due to salary cap restraints and existing contracts (Wielaart, Germano)

Jury is still out on Koren fair enough, but I think Duff was a great pickup, especially at a wage probably a third of what he could have got elsewhere. Duff has been one of our best players, the only real knock on his season thus far is that he only scored the one goal instead of 3-4. People do tend to gloss over the assists tho; they don't come up on the score sheet.

Edited by bt50

anyone remember Marcel Meewuis? Lol. This clubs recruitment is an absolute disgrace.

anyone remember Aaron Mooy? Lol. This clubs recruitment is absolutely awesome. under the cap I might add. Erik Paartalu? Under the cap. Damien Duff? Under the cap.

Fold the club.

As we saw with JA, a manager can have a great impact on getting the most out of a player. Personally I would have liked to see Duff just once start on the left, but now that won't be happenning thank you very much JVS.

After all is said and done I for one am really appreciative of the games Duff played for my team. As years pass and the list of great players (hopefully) increase Duff will be the first big name that turned us into the club we aspire to become. Thanks Damien.

• Like 1

The international quota has been difficult for CFG to do much about this season with the exception of the marquee due to salary cap restraints and existing contracts (Wielaart, Germano)

Jury is still out on Koren fair enough, but I think Duff was a great pickup, especially at a wage probably a third of what he could have got elsewhere. Duff has been one of our best players, the only real knock on his season thus far is that he only scored the one goal instead of 3-4. People do tend to gloss over the assists tho; they don't come up on the score sheet.

They had the opportunity to recruit 3(?) international players this past preseason. We settled on a 35 year old, who took up massive cap space and was only going to be here for one season, and a 34 year old average PL player for our marquee spot.

Salary cap restraints is a poor excuse. Everyone has the same cap to work with, yet the likes of Adelaide, Victory, Brisbane and Perth still manage to attract players of a decent age who will have an impact for their sides for years to come. We have been embarrassingly short sighted in our recruitment.

• Like 1

They had the opportunity to recruit 3(?) international players this past preseason. We settled on a 35 year old, who took up massive cap space and was only going to be here for one season, and a 34 year old average PL player for our marquee spot.

Salary cap restraints is a poor excuse. Everyone has the same cap to work with, yet the likes of Adelaide, Victory, Brisbane and Perth still manage to attract players of a decent age who will have an impact for their sides for years to come. We have been embarrassingly short sighted in our recruitment.

Duff and Koren, with the exception of Del Piero are probably the two best credentialed players to have signed with an a league club, both coming direct from the PL.

Who did the other clubs recruit that wasn't a gamble? Internationals are very hit and miss and require a fair bit of luck.

You can rarely guarantee they'll be stars. Del Pierre, Duff were always going to be good, but were older and got injured.

Keogh, Khalfallah were fairly risky ones that paid off, Kurtishi, Mane, and Saba flopped. Our recruiting this year is no worse than the others, of that im sure.

Broich is an exception to the rule, and has come out numerous times and said he gave up money and higher levels of football for the lifestyle in Australia.

Duff and Koren, with the exception of Del Piero are probably the two best credentialed players to have signed with an a league club, both coming direct from the PL.

Who did the other clubs recruit that wasn't a gamble? Internationals are very hit and miss and require a fair bit of luck.

You can rarely guarantee they'll be stars. Del Pierre, Duff were always going to be good, but were older and got injured.

Keogh, Khalfallah were fairly risky ones that paid off, Kurtishi, Mane, and Saba flopped. Our recruiting this year is no worse than the others, of that im sure.

Broich is an exception to the rule, and has come out numerous times and said he gave up money and higher levels of football for the lifestyle in Australia.

So then our coaching sucks?

Something, somewhere has got to be wrong.

Edited by Melburnian
  • Like 1

You can rarely guarantee they'll be stars. Del Pierre, Duff were always going to be good, but were older and got injured.

Keogh, Khalfallah were fairly risky ones that paid off, Kurtishi, Mane, and Saba flopped. Our recruiting this year is no worse than the others, of that im sure.

Broich is an exception to the rule, and has come out numerous times and said he gave up money and higher levels of football for the lifestyle in Australia. So then our coaching sucks?

Something, somewhere has got to be wrong. Much closer to the mark.

Broich is an exception to the rule, and has come out numerous times and said he gave up money and higher levels of football for the lifestyle in Australia. So then our coaching sucks?

Something, somewhere has got to be wrong.

I'd say it's a combination of many things. Coaching and recruitment being the biggest two.

BT, I don't care how well credentialed a player is tbh. How many titles did Del Piero win for Sydney? The man had his own private locker room FFS. I hate using the word, but he did absolutely nothing for the culture at Sydney.

How well credentialed was Berisha? Carrusca? Flores? Keogh? Cirio? These are guys who were signed in the prime of their careers, who had/have the ability to enhance their respective sides for multiple seasons, and are still desperate for success.

If you do your homework, which most of those "unlucky" sides clearly didn't, then the risk really isn't that great. I'm not a great believer in luck, and I don't think there is much of it at all involved with recruiting successful imports. If that were the case, Adelaide, Victory etc must be some the luckiest sides of all time.

• Like 1

The A-League is the serfdom of World Soccer so its a basic reality that whenever we sign an Player to take up a International Place or a Marquee spot PPL are going to go on here and say usually one of the following things...

Too Old, 

Too Injury Prone,

Who is he?

It def does not make the discussion not warranted or TBF that half the time when such comments are made that they are not often right... but its just reality we are going to have this conversation every time we sign one of these players.

Nick Hornby makes a similar comment in Fever Pitch about how when following Cambridge at Uni he could literally pick out the specific deficiency of each individual Cambridge player that was the reason they were playing in Cambridge and not at Highbury. 

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

The A-League is the serfdom of World Soccer so its a basic reality that whenever we sign an Player to take up a International Place or a Marquee spot PPL are going to go on here and say usually one of the following things...

Too Old,

Too Injury Prone,

Who is he?

It def does not make the discussion not warranted or TBF that half the time when such comments are made that they are not often right... but its just reality we are going to have this conversation every time we sign one of these players.

Nick Hornby makes a similar comment in Fever Pitch about how when following Cambridge at Uni he could literally pick out the specific deficiency of each individual Cambridge player that was the reason they were playing in Cambridge and not at Highbury.

"Who is he" isn't really relevant. Most good international signings are relatively unknown when originally signed.

Too Old,

Too Injury Prone,

Who is he?

"Who is he" isn't really relevant. Most good international signings are relatively unknown when originally signed.

What I mean is the instant reaction to the signing of PPL like Germano or Maycon...

Even when we signed bigger names like Tadic or Gerhardt I am sure the first thing everyone on here did was look them up on Wikipedia.

• Like 2

I'd say it's a combination of many things. Coaching and recruitment being the biggest two.

BT, I don't care how well credentialed a player is tbh. How many titles did Del Piero win for Sydney? The man had his own private locker room FFS. I hate using the word, but he did absolutely nothing for the culture at Sydney.

How well credentialed was Berisha? Carrusca? Flores? Keogh? Cirio? These are guys who were signed in the prime of their careers, who had/have the ability to enhance their respective sides for multiple seasons, and are still desperate for success.

If you do your homework, which most of those "unlucky" sides clearly didn't, then the risk really isn't that great. I'm not a great believer in luck, and I don't think there is much of it at all involved with recruiting successful imports. If that were the case, Adelaide, Victory etc must be some the luckiest sides of all time.

With all due respect, you don't know that.

Berisha was sitting on the bench, behind Tadic in the pecking order before he came here. You can't tell me that before either was signed you'd recruit Berisha over Tadic, considering they were of a similar age profile.

Im not being an apologist for our recruiting over the first four seasons. The fact we repeatedly signed duds cant be blamed on luck. All i'm saying is there is no such thing as a sure bet.

Also, im pretty sure the Del Piero locker thing wasn't true...

Lets wait and see if he is included in this weeks squad.

Would be interested to see - as it may give us an indication on the clubs belief in the current squad - and their belief in our youth structure.

What would it look like if our club decided on 35 y/o Jaliens to play CB, rather than our youth captain Archibald?

Would be interested to see - as it may give us an indication on the clubs belief in the current squad - and their belief in our youth structure.

What would it look like if our club decided on 35 y/o Jaliens to play CB, rather than our youth captain Archibald?

Archibald has been given numerous chances and the last time he was cb he didnt handle it at all.

• Like 1

Archibald has been given numerous chances and the last time he was cb he didnt handle it at all. Correct. I remember when Archibald was first brought in during our 4-0 win against the tards, and he basically looked shit scared to be out there. Thought it would go away with more game time, but he definitely has some psychological problems on the bigger stage. He is a far cry from being involved in the senior squad unfortunately. Edited by n i k o

..well why else would they sign him as a short term replacement, to not play him?

So does that therefore means that Archibalds cards are marked and he plays out his time in the youth team and once he reaches the cut off age he is then released. I know for every Chapman or Goode there are probably 10 Archibalds. Its just disappointing and a little frustrating that we seem to get more duds than guns. Really don't know what the answer is but just thought id put it out there .

Also whats going on its Thursday past 10am.