Melbourne Football

Safuwan Baharudin

GreenSeater

The interesting thing about this guy is how he polarises people, me I seriously rate him, but others keep listing faults I haven't noticed. Proves football is a game of opinions.

I haven't seen any fault listing on this forum but I do know someone who was unimpressed by his signing and keeps on harping on any imagined mistake. I have been having a good laugh since the Adelaide game.There's been a few posts in different threads. Didn't bother to check if it was different people or not. Someone said he was slow.

I didn't notice that, all I saw was 3 games, 2 man of the match performances (or near enough).

for some reason I think some blamed him for the derby loss, well at least two of the goals, which is stupid.

The great irony of here is that people bemone the fact that we apparently only sign old players yet when we sign a young player from somewhere noone has heard of (the very thing people have been asking for) suddenly the opinion changes after one loss where he debuted and start saying why arnt we signing more high profile players, JD and JVS have to go blah blah blah the CFG are a joke etc etc etc

• Like 1

The interesting thing about this guy is how he polarises people, me I seriously rate him, but others keep listing faults I haven't noticed. Proves football is a game of opinions.

I haven't seen any fault listing on this forum but I do know someone who was unimpressed by his signing and keeps on harping on any imagined mistake. I have been having a good laugh since the Adelaide game.There's been a few posts in different threads. Didn't bother to check if it was different people or not. Someone said he was slow.

I didn't notice that, all I saw was 3 games, 2 man of the match performances (or near enough).

for some reason I think some blamed him for the derby loss, well at least two of the goals, which is stupid.

The great irony of here is that people bemone the fact that we apparently only sign old players yet when we sign a young player from somewhere noone has heard of (the very thing people have been asking for) suddenly the opinion changes after one loss where he debuted and start saying why arnt we signing more high profile players, JD and JVS have to go blah blah blah the CFG are a joke etc etc etc

Surely you must have figured this out by now. Just have a look at the responses after a win compared to a loss. One week someone's a hero and should get a ten year contract and the next he needs to be sold off asap.

• Like 2

Has surprised me I'll admit. I thought of him as being signed for the exposure it brings the city brand in Asia. And clearly that is part of it but they obviously did their homework and picked out the best talent available. Looks an excellent find on initial impressions.

Anyone who determines after three games that a player is instantly good enough to make it in Europe doesn't know anything about football imo.

He's had a good start and held his own but let's not get carried away. So many variables determine whether a player can make it at the higher level, been plenty more talented footballers than him that have never made it.

• Like 5

Anyone who determines after three games that a player is instantly good enough to make it in Europe doesn't know anything about football imo.

He's had a good start and held his own but let's not get carried away. So many variables determine whether a player can make it at the higher level, been plenty more talented footballers than him that have never made it.

"Making it in Europe" means nothing to me.

Why?

Because you can "make it in Europe" and be playing at a lower level than the A League, but as there is no salary cap you may be paid more.

"Making it in Europe" means nothing to me.

Why?

Because you can "make it in Europe" and be playing at a lower level than the A League, but as there is no salary cap you may be paid more. If you're playing in a league of lower quality than the a-league you haven't made it in Europe.

Safuwan makes mention he is going back soon to play for his national team. Wonder if he misses a match with us for that.

Saw on his instagram he is taking merchandise back with him and having competitions for people to win City stuff. Great promotion. He's doing his bit.

There's a massive community here that we can obtain. This kid can bring that.

In a match where the players at the club really needed to make a statement, the bloke was earned a yellow for a pretty ordinary tackle and a few minutes later was lucky to avoid being sent off for stupidly handling the ball. I agree he has ability but his attitude seems a bit off - will be lucky to see the season out without a suspension.

Amazing that he didn't get sent off, he picked up the ball!

That was a serious 'Yikes' moment. What on earth was he thinking? Clear as day that his hand had already hit the ground and then he deliberately shifted it to grab the ball. Seems to be avoiding further penalties at this stage, because the officials must be thinking 'Wait, he didn't really just do that, did he?' Needs to get the dumb stuff out of his game quick smart. Still more than happy to re-sign him though.

Apart from the hand ball he actually kept Ferreira quiet all game. I remember one instance where he followed him right across the ground when Ferreira was dribbling and won the ball and then ran right back to his position.

Yes. And the thing that annoys me the most is Ferreira's diving and whingeing.

Amazing that he didn't get sent off, he picked up the ball!

That was a serious 'Yikes' moment. What on earth was he thinking? Clear as day that his hand had already hit the ground and then he deliberately shifted it to grab the ball. Seems to be avoiding further penalties at this stage, because the officials must be thinking 'Wait, he didn't really just do that, did he?' Needs to get the dumb stuff out of his game quick smart. Still more than happy to re-sign him though.

Fair enough I suppose, but let's not forget that here we're discussing someone who is here on an extended trial/work experience trip, from a country that nobody rates on the world football scale. He could not possibly anticipate that he'd get much game time at all, let alone be thrown in the deep end in a Melbourne Derby, smack in the equaliser against Adelaide and go close to being a man-of-the-match. And he's hardly unpacked his suitcase yet.

For me it says heaps about our club that "temporaries" such as Safuwan, Jaliens and Novillo can be an immediate hit on the field and with City supporters. Shows how much we've been starved of quality, excitement and success.

• Like 1

When he was signed I read he had been involved in an on pitch brawl and been fined $2000 when he was younger. I have been keeping that in the back of my mind, and since his first friendly overseas the signs have been there that he is one that can lose his mind during games. Hes still a good signing for us, but that mental instability he has is worrying.

Redders, Willo and The Hoff had their contracts extended to 2016 by JVS. I'm guessing he doesn't think much of Safu so expecting the lad to be terminated in favour of our currents duds. Yeah, that'd be right FFS. JVS OUT.

Wilo and Hoff had their contracts extended by JVS. Redders contract was extended by Aloisi.

• Like 2

IMO Safuwan shows aggression, determination, desire to win, grit - whatever the word is that you want to use. It's been mentioned somewhere else, but I can't find it - so do players such as Velaphi, Melling and Chapman. I'd add Mooy to that list, possibly Clisby although it's perhaps too early to tell with the latter. But too many of our players just don't appear to have the same quality.  When you combine an absence of this quality with the insipid coaching we have you get the sorts of performances and results that we see. Great when everything falls our way, and piss-poor when it doesn't.

So people are worried about his aggress but if it was Melling we'd be singing his praises?

If your directing that at my post, no I'm not worried. Just an observation I noticed prior to his signing that I found interesting to keep track of. Regarding Melling, I think he has toned down a bit from his first few games, one, to save energy and two, to stop getting yellow cards. Safuwans aggression is great and was precisely why he was given man of the match aganst Adelaide, but like Melling he needs to be careful not to overstep the boundary where he costs the team. It 'was' a concern with Melling, and it's now a valid concern with Safuwan.

Redders, Willo and The Hoff had their contracts extended to 2016 by JVS [insert /JA]. I'm guessing he [insert JVS] doesn't think much of Safu so expecting the lad to be terminated in favour of our currents duds. Yeah, that'd be right FFS. JVS OUT.

Wilo and Hoff had their contracts extended by JVS. Redders contract was extended by Aloisi.

JVS to follow JA out the door ASAP  :up:

Edited by HEARTinator