Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I still think that we're all pretty much agreed. It would really boost us if we had that creative forward who is going to play every match, change the game with the one killer pass, bend in a free-kick or two, and lift the team and lift the crowd. We're a solid team, no doubt, but that's the player I think we lack.

You have just described a multi million dollar player.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I beg to differ. One thing that I did notice when I started following football as opposed to AFL, was how much influence the coach has during the game - far more than the AFL counterpart.

Not when it comes to the talented individuals we are discussing. Most of them are given a free roaming within their preferred areas, the team will play around them. The best example in Australia is Castro and Diamanti both have free roles in their areas. That’s the players we need.

Edited by Mr MO

Has to be Delbridge, right? Even if we could get a better foreigner, I think he has to be the guy this late in preseason as he knows everyone and the system.

Additional thought is that I feel like WIndbichler may have taken up a bit of space so could help us meet Delbridge's demands - leverage is certainly with Delbridge $$$ wise you'd have to think.

7 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Has to be Delbridge, right? Even if we could get a better foreigner, I think he has to be the guy this late in preseason as he knows everyone and the system.

Additional thought is that I feel like WIndbichler may have taken up a bit of space so could help us meet Delbridge's demands - leverage is certainly with Delbridge $$$ wise you'd have to think.

Hopefully we can fit another midfielder in as our midfield is bare only have Luna, Florin who is injury prone, Metcalfe, O’Neill and Gomulka not much flair and creativity. 

need Cb and midfielder 

• Like 1

I think what we're seeing is that with a reduced cap you've got to be as sure as you can that the higher-paid players are going to be on the park every match. And I would guess that visa players are likely to be in that "higher pay" category. If you're going to have to play Scholarship or youth players (e.g. Kerrin Stokes aged 17) in many matches then there's no point in having the visa players around.

• Like 1

So having a quick look at Australian free agent CB options, there are really only 4 options. Delbridge, Mrcela from Perth, Rhys Williams and Spiranovic (if he is even still interested in playing football). Visa players the list is obviously larger, so hopefully we act quick as there is the 2 week quarantine if they are coming from overseas if we want them for Sydney game

24 minutes ago, Nate said:

Delbridge is a good enough player at this level to start alongside Good imo.

Yes, his brain farts were bad but his best performances really were outstanding. If he gets his shit together, we're virtually sorted down back.

He lacks a bit more than just those brain farts in mind but I know the lunge tackles are appreciated among fans. He will just have do as a replacement, he if wants to come back that is.

At the risk of being called an optimist 🙄, i don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, all depends on who they have lined up as a replacement.

WIndy was good, but players that only play 25% of games don't win you premierships and given a pre-season that reportedly he hasnt had a clean bill of health yet again perhaps it might be both parties thinking parting ways is a good thing.
I also think its unlikely we'd let him go unless we have something lined up, or he genuinely didnt want to be here, which i doubt based off my interactions with him.

Speculating, but it also might let us resign Delboi with some change leftover, which potentially could be used to bring Nabbout under the cap and give us a crack at a marquee or another visa etc. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Speculating, but it also might let us resign Delboi with some change leftover, which potentially could be used to bring Nabbout under the cap and give us a crack at a marquee or another visa etc. 

I’m getting excited by the thought of this.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

By the end of February we'll have played 12 league matches and 2 ACL matches. Can't afford anything but minor injuries to the starting XI. 

Well we love keeping the injured visa players JW, that’s what we stand for. We do marquees who only feature 60- 70% of the season too. Tradition.

Edited by Mr MO

• jw1739 pinned this topic