Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

On 1/20/2017 at 8:17 PM, playmaker said:

Although I would prefer Sorenson in goals, if the club refuse to play him then they either give him to Central Coast or put him into a coaching role (as you mentioned above). Then we can sign another "ball playing" CB to be beside Jakobsen and Tonyik in a 3ATB with 2 wingbacks.

-Deleted Image-

BENCH: NPL Keeper, Kamau, Fitzy, Malik, Caceras

RESERVES: Muscat, Rose, Arzani, Retre

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, haz said:

Although I would prefer Sorenson in goals, if the club refuse to play him then they either give him to Central Coast or put him into a coaching role (as you mentioned above). Then we can sign another "ball playing" CB to be beside Jakobsen and Tonyik in a 3ATB with 2 wingbacks.

Melbourne City fc xi.JPG

BENCH: NPL Keeper, Kamau, Fitzy, Malik, Caceras

RESERVES: Muscat, Rose, Arzani, Retre

Nothing wrong with dreams and i like how you've snuck it in without mentioning his name bravo.

• Like 1

Valkanis not looking to strengthen Melbourne City squad in January

Michael Valkanis will not be looking to bolster his squad in the January transfer window. Melbourne City coach Michael Valkanis says his A-League club aren't planning on entering the transfer market during the mid-season window. City have been one of the most-prodigious users of the January transfer window, rejuvenating their squad in previous years to gear up for the title race. Last season, Socceroos defender Alex Wilkinson was most effectively brought in to reshape the club's defence. Osama Malik, Anthony Caceres, Dean Bouzanis and Nick Fitzgerald followed, with Erik Paartalu, Stefan Mauk and dud marquee Robi Koren leaving the club. But this year, Valkanis says there will be no major changes - or perhaps none at all - as they seek a maiden piece of A-League silverware.

Caretaker boss Valkanis dismissed the notion that full-time coach John Van 't Schip's departure had led to inertia around transfer activity. In the Dutchman's absence, the entire football department is working on targets -- just not for January. "The list is something we always talk about every week," he said. "We're always in discussions. We were in discussions, before JVS left, about next year as well. That's ongoing." Asked directly whether the club had any January targets, Valkanis said "at the moment, no". 

http://www.espnfc.com.au/australian-a-league/story/3041542/valkanis-not-looking-to-strengthen-melbourne-city-squad-in-january

Looks like we will continue with mediocre results. Start the season over thread

• Like 1

TBH I don't have a problem with this unless we can pick up a quality defender on a short-term contract (e.g. as we did with Wilkinson last season). I'd much rather we wait until the new manager is appointed before we start signing players.

As for the season - well, with 11 matches to go, 7 of them away, we have to make up 15 points on Sydney, that is in 11 matches we have to have 5 more wins than they do, and I don't believe that we can do that. We are 6 points behind Victory, and IMO we'll know in a couple of weeks time whether we might catch them. In summary I'm certain that the Premiership is out of reach, with the other places in the top six still up for grabs.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I don't have a problem with this unless we can pick up a quality defender on a short-term contract (e.g. as we did with Wilkinson last season). I'd much rather we wait until the new manager is appointed before we start signing players.

As for the season - well, with 11 matches to go, 7 of them away, we have to make up 15 points on Sydney, that is in 11 matches we have to have 5 more wins than they do, and I don't believe that we can do that. We are 6 points behind Victory, and IMO we'll know in a couple of weeks time whether we might catch them. In summary I'm certain that the Premiership is out of reach, with the other places in the top six still up for grabs.

Premiership is definitely out of reach but top 2 is certainly attainable. 2nd is as good as first when it comes to winning the GF. ACL qualification and the toilet seat means there is heaps to play for. I get some people see the Premiership as the main prize and fair enough, but i think CFG and the playing group see the seat as the big one.

On the squad I think we've got the cattle as it is, and unless we can pick up a quality defender there's prob not much point in signing anyone as per what JW said. Our improvement is going to come via our structure and how we play overall, not by injecting anyone new.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Premiership is definitely out of reach but top 2 is certainly attainable. 2nd is as good as first when it comes to winning the GF. ACL qualification and the toilet seat means there is heaps to play for. I get some people see the Premiership as the main prize and fair enough, but i think CFG and the playing group see the seat as the big one.

On the squad I think we've got the cattle as it is, and unless we can pick up a quality defender there's prob not much point in signing anyone as per what JW said. Our improvement is going to come via our structure and how we play overall, not by injecting anyone new.

In terms of the future, as contracts stand we don't have a great deal of room in which to manoeuvre.
The players coming out of contract as of 31st May 2017 are:
Thomas Sorensen;
Josh Rose;
Steve Kuzmanowski;
Corey Gameiro.

Players ending their one-season loan are:
Luke Brattan;
Anthony Caceres;
Nicolas Colazo.

Player believed to be leaving shortly:
Connor Chapman.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In terms of the future, as contracts stand we don't have a great deal of room in which to manoeuvre.
The players coming out of contract as of 31st May 2017 are:
Thomas Sorensen;
Josh Rose;
Steve Kuzmanowski;
Corey Gameiro.

Players ending their one-season loan are:
Luke Brattan;
Anthony Caceres;
Nicolas Colazo.

Player believed to be leaving shortly:
Connor Chapman.

Of the four players that are coming out of contract I would not offer any of them a new contract. Pity about Gameiro but three ACLs is more than enough for me.

The loan players is harder - Colazo definitely has quality but needs to deliver every game; Brattan has not been as effective as expected; Caceres has never established himself in a game - flashes of brilliance but by now I would expect him to have stepped up and sadly he has not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Of the four players that are coming out of contract I would not offer any of them a new contract. Pity about Gameiro but three ACLs is more than enough for me.

The loan players is harder - Colazo definitely has quality but needs to deliver every game; Brattan has not been as effective as expected; Caceres has never established himself in a game - flashes of brilliance but by now I would expect him to have stepped up and sadly he has not.

Agree. I can't find the reference now, but IIRC Colazo's contract with Boca ends this season and he has some sort of pre-contract agreement with another Argentine club. So I don't think he will be with us anyway. Whether we want to take Brattan and/or Caceres for another season on loan remains to be seen (can we refuse if ManC insist anyway?).

I'm ok with Valkanis ending the speculation straight away. We're essentially full strength and the reason that people are disappointed with the season so far is because we've underachieved. We've underachieved because many people think we are capable of much more with this squad.

Unless we were clearing Sorensen off the books and picking up a visa (not sure if that's even allowed, because Sorensen presumably would be retiring, not being transferred), who could we have signed that would have walked into our starting 11? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I'm ok with Valkanis ending the speculation straight away. We're essentially full strength and the reason that people are disappointed with the season so far is because we've underachieved. We've underachieved because many people think we are capable of much more with this squad.

Unless we were clearing Sorensen off the books and picking up a visa (not sure if that's even allowed, because Sorensen presumably would be retiring, not being transferred), who could we have signed that would have walked into our starting 11? 

We could replace Sorensen with another visa either way. We could also take two players as injury replacements for Gameiro and Kuzi, and replace Chapman if he goes. But your point is well made.

Edited by jw1739

6 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm not too concerned if we don't replace chapman. Malik has shown he can go in and play a role should Jakobsen or Tongyik not be available. Obviously everything revolves around Jakobsen playing. 

We've got three central defenders.  And one is a converted midfielder.  Not filled with reassurance... 

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Cant do it anymore. See 'Caceres Rule'

Ok..... Man City to buy Williams and 'sell' him to us. Beat that.

On a serious note I bet that FFA would be that stupid to only put the loaning of players into that rule

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic