Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

8 hours ago, strider said:

all this talk about midfielders, keepers etc. i'm just sitting here tickling my balls waiting for a decent defender 

OR we can play long balls from the defense to our forwards and bypass our non existent midfield.  I'm sure JVS can muster something up.  

13 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure of your point?

a good keepers not a magic wand.

We had the best striker to ever play in the league and that didn't get us the title either. 

As a rule, You need a good team that knows their roles and plays for each other to win stuff.

Clearly all positions are very important and you want strong players everywhere, that doesn't mean some positions aren't more important than others. Personally from my playing experience I'd order the importance as follows: Central defenders, strikers, midfielders, wingers, full backs and then goal keeper. 

Although a very good winger can jump up a few spots.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Clearly all positions are very important and you want strong players everywhere, that doesn't mean some positions aren't more important than others. Personally from my playing experience I'd order the importance as follows: Central defenders, strikers, midfielders, wingers, full backs and then goal keeper. 

I'm also drawing on experience. In this order.

1 Striker 

2 Goalkeeper

3 central defenders 

4 midfielders 

5 wingers

6 fullbacks. 

Obviously when you have a completely amazing player of any position then at times he can carry a team but worse if you have a really weak player in any position he will cost you games and that's were my feelings of a terrible keeper can condemn the team to struggle. So if I could choose I would always choose a strong keeper.

Edited by Jovan

5 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Well going off of the size of transfer fees, it's pretty clear what the biggest clubs, best managers, directors, etc think and goalkeepers command the smallest transfer fees for a reason. 

True. But the movement of Goalkeepers is less than any other position . I would argue that once a big club gets a quality keeper they basically hang onto him and avoid looking for change. The only times you see change is injury or retirement. Have a look at the 20 biggest clubs and their goalkeepers over the last 7 to 10 seasons. 

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

I'm also drawing on experience. In this order.

1 Striker 

2 Goalkeeper

3 central defenders 

4 midfielders 

5 wingers

6 fullbacks. 

Obviously when you have a completely amazing player of any position then at times he can carry a team but worse if you have a really weak player in any position he will cost you games and that's were my feelings of a terrible keeper can condemn the team to struggle. So if I could choose I would always choose a strong keeper.

This is also my experience 

The most important player to sign cannot be simply reduced to a general list. If you have Fornaroli and Redmayne starting in your team for example, a goal keeper is a much higher priority than a striker. Now if you are talking about where money should be assigned in a salary capped league then I think you probably can start to assign rough dollar values to positions. You would also have positions where you might pay overs given your team. But to suggest x player is always the most important is to promote a fairly 1 dimensional viewpoint of football.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

I wouldn't call Caceras a C grader, we do need to bring someone in though.

B at best but with potential to move into an A. But who ever we get I really doubt will be better than Mooy. We really lucked out getting him at the time of his career we did. Having said all that if we get a quality #10 with Brattan and Caceres/Retre or Melling I'd be happy. With a gun CB we will have a balanced side. 

All I'm really looking for is that most of the squad (that is at least 20) are assembled by the first week of pre season. 

47 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

The fact we have no midfield makes it our number 1 priority.  Who we gonna play there Fitzgerald Caceras Retre and Malik?  C graders.  We'll be lucky to finish out of the bottom 3 with these and Bruno will be lucky to score 10 goals.

Looks like we are going to bring Brattan and a marquee so I wouldn't panic. Looks well in hand. It's defence that has me more worried, everybody out and barely a rumour of a signing (except for a squaddie from one of the bottom teams)

Brattan is high quality a-league (depends how he fares after a season of zero games) butt one of our main problems last year was getting good service to our strikers from midfield. This was even worse when mooy was marked out of the game or playing for Australia. We need someone like Brattan as our second best midfielder, not our main man

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Looks like we are going to bring Brattan and a marquee so I wouldn't panic. Looks well in hand. It's defence that has me more worried, everybody out and barely a rumour of a signing (except for a squaddie from one of the bottom teams)

109 days to our first league match. I'm not panicking yet. Although it would be nice to have a bit more news out of the club I think we've learned by now that this club keeps an incredibly tight lid on everything until it's signed, sealed and delivered.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

Brattan is high quality a-league (depends how he fares after a season of zero games) butt one of our main problems last year was getting good service to our strikers from midfield. This was even worse when mooy was marked out of the game or playing for Australia. We need someone like Brattan as our second best midfielder, not our main man

Quite certain I heard he's been playing for Man Citys under 21's. Not sure if its true though but I wouldn't doubt he's been some form of football and getting game time.

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Quite certain I heard he's been playing for Man Citys under 21's. Not sure if its true though but I wouldn't doubt he's been some form of football and getting game time.

According to transfermarkt he's had no competitive match time whatsoever.

On 20 June 2016 at 10:50 AM, Tesla said:

Well going off of the size of transfer fees, it's pretty clear what the biggest clubs, best managers, directors, etc think and goalkeepers command the smallest transfer fees for a reason. 

On 20 June 2016 at 11:01 AM, Jovan said:

True. But the movement of Goalkeepers is less than any other position . I would argue that once a big club gets a quality keeper they basically hang onto him and avoid looking for change. The only times you see change is injury or retirement. Have a look at the 20 biggest clubs and their goalkeepers over the last 7 to 10 seasons. 

Also the are a lot of keepers looking to move and get game time, so supply is up, which pushes prices down.

5 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Went to the clubs web site and it does not say that JD will depart the club. All it says that he will commence the role in July. What I am getting at is that thsi role may not be full time and he keeps both jobs.

Surely that would be a blatant conflict of interest?

Here it says that he is leaving City.
http://www.espnfc.com/australian-a-league/story/2898618/john-didulica-named-new-professional-footballers-australia-chief-executive

Edited by jw1739

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

B at best but with potential to move into an A. But who ever we get I really doubt will be better than Mooy. We really lucked out getting him at the time of his career we did. Having said all that if we get a quality #10 with Brattan and Caceres/Retre or Melling I'd be happy. With a gun CB we will have a balanced side. 

All I'm really looking for is that most of the squad (that is at least 20) are assembled by the first week of pre season. 

Don't know much about brattan & whether he's any good (is 26 and hasn't played for Australia in an era where ange is trying alot of players), but last year our midfield was weak overall with the best a league player in it.  The players you list won't cut it I'm afraid, need much more talent there.  How many goals would bruno have scored if you take away mooys assists?  Our problem last year was we couldn't control the tempo of games.  Adelaide won it because of their midfield.

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Just guessing, and depending on who his successor is (Petrillo?), that successor might offer less protection to JvS than JD has?

Maybe.

I would have thought the relationship with the masters in Manchester (MiM) would be all that matters now though.

As best I could figure out JD did a good job (getting 2 transfer fees for Babalj for instance) but I'm sure he's replaceable. I'm just not joining in the "lets slag everybody" culture that seems to visit this forum from time to time.

• Like 1

I agree there is some slag off culture on this forum but I think this is a positive move for both the club and JD. Manchester have seemingly been good at allowing us to have people move on at a 'natural' rate than just coming in and sacking everyone. JVS will be gone after another season (max or in a few weeks **I actually want antiscum to be right**) and most of the brains trust that have held us back will have been replaced with other people (who will touchwood help further change the culture of the club).

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic