Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

'I'VE GOT USED TO WINNING' - CANSDELL-SHERRIFF TARGETING SUCCESSFUL A-LEAGUE SWANSONG
By Michael Huguenin
15:28TRANSFER ZONESHARE
0 Getty
EXCLUSIVE | After 16 years playing in Europe, the versatile defender wants to finish his career at home with a title-winning team

Despite having a contract effectively snatched out of his hands already, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff isn't giving up on his dream of playing in the A-League.

The Australian defender is committed to relocating his wife and four sons to his homeland after 16 years playing in Europe.

Having helped Burton Albion to two straight promotions in England, including this season's unprecedented surge into the Championship, Cansdell-Sherriff reckons he has plenty to offer at A-League level.

The 33-year-old was ready to sign a contract recently only for the club to pull out "last minute" but remains in contact with a couple of other A-League outfits.

After being involved in three promotions in the past five years, Cansdell-Sherriff is targeting silverware in Australia.

"I've got used to winning, I want to win now," he told Goal Australia from his home in England.

"I want to come back. I'd like to play a couple of seasons. I think I'm fit enough to play another two or three seasons, especially back home where they play a lot less games compared to here."

The former Leeds United youth player played a key role in Shrewsbury Town's rise to League One in 2011-12, as well as Burton's League Two title win of 2014-15 and subsequent promotion this season.

But despite having played no fewer than 30 games each season for the past five years, Cansdell-Sherriff has yet to secure an A-League contract.

"I've spoken with a couple of clubs," he said.

"I had something all agreed, terms from both parties only for it to break down last minute for some unknown reason - so I was a little bit disappointed there.

"But there's a couple of other options that I'm exploring at the moment, and it's early doors yet, so we'll see what comes in the future."

Some Australian football fans might turn their noses up at a defender, who has spent the majority of his career in England's third and fourth divisions.

But Cansdell-Sherriff insists he is no 'kick-and-rush' footballer.

"We had a certain style of play at Burton, you know, we were told to get the ball down and play," he said.

"I'm used to that, I'm comfortable with that and I think it's a good way to go forward and it's good for Australian football to adopt that."

Having been born and raised in Sydney, Cansdell-Sherriff concedes it is a long-term goal to call the Harbour City home, but that doesn't mean he's only interested in playing for Sydney FC or Western Sydney Wanderers.

"Anywhere in Australia will feel like home after being so far away," he said.

Feel like kicking myself for the pessimism but if he's used to winning I'm not sure a team led by JVS is the best move. 

None the less he sounds like he would be a solid acquisition although I don't know much about him. 

Edited by n i k o

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

'I'VE GOT USED TO WINNING' - CANSDELL-SHERRIFF TARGETING SUCCESSFUL A-LEAGUE SWANSONG
By Michael Huguenin
15:28TRANSFER ZONESHARE
0 Getty
EXCLUSIVE | After 16 years playing in Europe, the versatile defender wants to finish his career at home with a title-winning team

Despite having a contract effectively snatched out of his hands already, Shane Cansdell-Sherriff isn't giving up on his dream of playing in the A-League.

The Australian defender is committed to relocating his wife and four sons to his homeland after 16 years playing in Europe.

Having helped Burton Albion to two straight promotions in England, including this season's unprecedented surge into the Championship, Cansdell-Sherriff reckons he has plenty to offer at A-League level.

The 33-year-old was ready to sign a contract recently only for the club to pull out "last minute" but remains in contact with a couple of other A-League outfits.

After being involved in three promotions in the past five years, Cansdell-Sherriff is targeting silverware in Australia.

"I've got used to winning, I want to win now," he told Goal Australia from his home in England.

"I want to come back. I'd like to play a couple of seasons. I think I'm fit enough to play another two or three seasons, especially back home where they play a lot less games compared to here."

The former Leeds United youth player played a key role in Shrewsbury Town's rise to League One in 2011-12, as well as Burton's League Two title win of 2014-15 and subsequent promotion this season.

But despite having played no fewer than 30 games each season for the past five years, Cansdell-Sherriff has yet to secure an A-League contract.

"I've spoken with a couple of clubs," he said.

"I had something all agreed, terms from both parties only for it to break down last minute for some unknown reason - so I was a little bit disappointed there.

"But there's a couple of other options that I'm exploring at the moment, and it's early doors yet, so we'll see what comes in the future."

Some Australian football fans might turn their noses up at a defender, who has spent the majority of his career in England's third and fourth divisions.

But Cansdell-Sherriff insists he is no 'kick-and-rush' footballer.

"We had a certain style of play at Burton, you know, we were told to get the ball down and play," he said.

"I'm used to that, I'm comfortable with that and I think it's a good way to go forward and it's good for Australian football to adopt that."

Having been born and raised in Sydney, Cansdell-Sherriff concedes it is a long-term goal to call the Harbour City home, but that doesn't mean he's only interested in playing for Sydney FC or Western Sydney Wanderers.

"Anywhere in Australia will feel like home after being so far away," he said.

Feel like kicking myself for the pessimism but if he's used to winning I'm not sure a team led by JVS is the best move. 

None the less he sounds like he would be a solid acquisition although I don't know much about him. 

If he is made to have "Sherriff' on the back of his shirt. Good enough for me

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Still a lot to be played out we are only in May .......

I still stand by what ive been told!!

So how long after the Grand Final should we expect?

And haven't heard much about the Gombau announcement.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2016 at 3:18 PM, HeartLand said:

I heard Shane Cansdell-Sherriff who plays for Burton Albion who are top of the league in English league 1 is looking to leave and return to Australia. As a Brewers (Burton Albion) fan I can remember in an interview he talked about returning to Australia to finish his career in Melbourne where his wife is from and family now lives. Shane and the manager don't get along great, he's only getting a game at the moment because of injuries. But with us on on top of the league and players returning this week he'll be relegated back to the reserves. They reckon on the club's fan site he's been linked with Melbourne City, they reckon the deal could be done as soon as next Monday. He's a really reliable centre back who also plays a little left back when he's needed. 

Close enough

Cansdell-Sherriff. Aged 33, will turn 34 in November. I'm wary of these 30+ players, but he seems to be injury-free and might be OK.

Adama Toure. Spanish 3rd Division. I would have thought we should be looking in European 2nd leagues rather than 3rd.

Adama Traore. Thought he is contracted to FC Basel until 2018?

Skrtel. Looks like his December 2015 hamstring/tendon injury was pretty serious.

Edited by jw1739

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Cansdell-Sherriff. Aged 33, will turn 34 in November. I'm wary of these 30+ players, but he seems to be injury-free and might be OK.

Adama Toure. Spanish 3rd Division. I would have thought we should be looking in European 2nd leagues rather than 3rd.

Skrtel. Looks like his December 2015 hamstring/tendon injury was pretty serious.

Good run down. So Skrtel huh...

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There are a lot of Adama Traores around. I suspect jeffplz was talking about the 20 year old Spaniard who just got relegated with Villa.

Edit: Just saw how much they bought him for. No wonder they're in trouble. They'll want to make back some of his original fee, even though he barely played and his value will have plummeted. Maybe not that one then.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

oh god. SST says that Van Egmond has been approached by a club and has agreed to become an assistant. CLub not named.

Who cares. Massive difference between being an assistant and the manager. If he's any good well all the best to him, if he's not he'll be out the door quicker than a Mumbai Vindaloo. Won the title back in 08 didnt he?

14 hours ago, Jovan said:

Nobody actually stated which premier League our alleged assistant had experience in.

I know you're joking, but on a more serious note, we don't really know what kind of experience the guy is supposed to have, either. Could be someone who has played in the league, or worked as a coach there.

Edited by Falastur

10 minutes ago, Falastur said:

I know you're joking, but on a more serious note, we don't really know what kind of experience the guy is supposed to have, either. Could be someone who has played in the league, or worked as a coach there.

True. Was joking. It makes me chuckle every time someone is mentioned with some sort of experience. 

I remember playing juniors (a long time ago) and some kids would brag that their dads played in Europe. Although not entirely wrong but definitely not as pros.

Back on topic I'm not really expecting much in this assistant if he is not good enough or not ready for a the head job then he can't be must chop. Anyway we'll see who they pluck.

Victory and Wellington reportedly interested in Donachie. But perhaps Melbourne City could make a strong pitch with our centre-back opportunities (right now a new CB walks into a starting position alongside Chapman), the club's resources (new training base, etc etc) and maybe by signing up another former Brisbane teammate like Brattan...

Donanchie would be a solid pickup IMO. Him, Chapman and a Visa CB would set up the centre of our defence for next season (with Malik, Muscat and Clisby depth). A good ball-playing defender like him, who's a good age (23), would be a quality addition (especially when compared with the other limited Aussie CB options out there, such as Zac Anderson..).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, agoalie said:

So we signed anyone or just been speculated to sign every players that's been released? 

Everyone. Just assume that all the speculations are false and you will be pretty close to the final team list.

Edited by playmaker

On 28/05/2016 at 9:02 PM, Jovan said:

So how long after the Grand Final should we expect?

And haven't heard much about the Gombau announcement.

You cant hire someone before you sack someone. Sometimes things take longer than expected in terms of negotiating an exit. The dirty prick wants his whole contract paid out in full ....

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

You cant hire someone before you sack someone. Sometimes things take longer than expected in terms of negotiating an exit. The dirty prick wants his whole contract paid out in full ....

So you still stand by your statement JVS will be replaced by Gombau? 

On 29/05/2016 at 0:24 PM, jw1739 said:

Would be a great pickup since he is an Australian citizen, but he seems to be playing regularly at Basel and so I don't see why they would let him go unless the yreceived a transfer fee (and given we are too cheap to sack JVS, I'm not sure we're in the business of paying sizeable transfer fees)

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic