Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

4 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

How good is the headline "Michael Essien on radar of Sydney FC"..

Then two sentences down "It’s understood that Sydney FC have signalled that they are not interested in signing former Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien on a guest stint"

Journalism 101

5 hours ago, wfc_10 said:

How good is the headline "Michael Essien on radar of Sydney FC"..

Then two sentences down "It’s understood that Sydney FC have signalled that they are not interested in signing former Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien on a guest stint"

Click-bait journalism

IMO this is all bullshit really. OK, so we're allowed a guest player for 14 matches, but the reality is there are only 15 rounds to go and by the time our transfer window opens (14th January) there will be only 13 to go, and by the time any player were to arrive then there would be even fewer rounds to go. And that's without even thinking about match fitness and how the player can slot into the team.
IMO it's a waste of time to be thinking of guest players at this stage of the season. If we were ever contemplating a guest player it should have been signed and sealed long ago. Far better that we put our energies and focus into next season's visa marquee and other players.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this is all bullshit really. OK, so we're allowed a guest player for 14 matches, but the reality is there are only 15 rounds to go and by the time our transfer window opens (14th January) there will be only 13 to go, and by the time any player were to arrive then there would be even fewer rounds to go. And that's without even thinking about match fitness and how the player can slot into the team.
IMO it's a waste of time to be thinking of guest players at this stage of the season. If we were ever contemplating a guest player it should have been signed and sealed long ago. Far better that we put our energies and focus into next season's visa marquee and other players.

Well they could have been planning this months ago for all we know. 14th of Jan is a good time as those 14 games include finals so that has to be taken into account. IMO this is the best time we could bring in a new guest player (hopefully with a view of keeping them as marquee for next season), the team has some momentum and is working well together. So to slot in a world class player along with that momentum, it can really set us up. 

Basically this club needs a world class marquee to gather new support as its clearly plateaued. Del Piero had a big effect on Sydney and as much as people dont want it that and want crowds build through results I actually don't think thats going to happen any more, Due to the Visitors having all that success recently and also having that 5 year head start.

So why not kill two birds with one stone whilst we have some momentum. 

James Horsfield, who trained with us for about 6 weeks last season, made the Manchester City squad for the EPL match against Leicester.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-james-horsfield-who-10664396

20-y-o- mid-fielder who has been with City since he was 11, has also featured at RB. Could be someone we should seriously look at.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

The problem is that any marquee level guest that brings people to games is going to be a goal scoring forward. What the team is most in need of is meaningful reinforcement in the back 4. Defenders aren't glamorous and won't attract people to games

I agree Bela. To inject a guest forward into our line-up now, unless a right-winger, would displace someone (likely Tuna or Novillo) who doesn't deserve that (certainly not Tuna anyway). That's why I say leave the team as it is this season (unless we can can somehow add to our defensive stocks) and focus on the squad for next season - who we're going to release and the players we want to replace them. That's what Petrillo was hired for and hopefully that's what he's doing.

In the Fox sports article, it says Olić is open to a longer deal.  Sign him as a guest, pay him a ridiculous amount of money then fit him under the cap for next season. 

Regular comments about him say he plays like a 25 year old 

26 minutes ago, haz said:

In the Fox sports article, it says Olić is open to a longer deal.  Sign him as a guest, pay him a ridiculous amount of money then fit him under the cap for next season. 

Regular comments about him say he plays like a 25 year old 

Well club always said it would be a footballing season and we do have an injured RW...

• Like 1

Isn't olic 35? That's a big fat pass! A huge percentage of people complain about us always picking up older players yet someone (not even a huge name player) gets mentioned in an article and we all jumping at it? If look at our foreign players 3 of the 5 will be here next season sorrenson, novillo and fornarolli (which I have no complaints about) the way I see it if mooy and koren are on their way out then we will need a world class midfielder which should be our marquee/ foreign position. Then I would target an accomplished foreign cb and boost or defensive stocks. Another forward as a foreigner is not what we need especially if gameiro gets right.

Edited by drewmelbcity

34 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I think CFG will outlay some coin and get us a quality guest or injury replacement player, with a view to chasing a trophy this season. I would say they'll look for a player who is current, world class and good enough to start for a lessor EPL team.

Could mahrez leave leister in January?!?!? Or you talking about Man U?

On a serious note, is that just a gut feeling or an educated guess based on what was said at the FRG meeting?

Edited by Dylan

On 23/12/2015 at 9:32 PM, jw1739 said:

Well that scotches the possibility of Brattan playng for us for the rest of this season. I wasn't aware of the FIFA regulation that prevents a player being registered for more than three clubs between 1st July of one yer and 30th June of the next, and from playing an "official match" for more than two of those clubs during the same period.

We need a winger 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

On a serious note, is that just a gut feeling or an educated guess based on what was said at the FRG meeting?

Both... and with SP on the A-League committee, I think they will  want to show what they can bring to the table, now they have some genuine influence 

4 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Both... and with SP on the A-League committee, I think they will  want to show what they can bring to the table, now they have some genuine influence 

Yeah and then you thrown in what Ange said on TV. Seems like they have had something cooking for a while now. 

10 hours ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

Cfg signed Brattan so Brisbane or other Aleague clubs couldn't have him. Weakening the field. Much like what happened with Gombau 

The story that Gombau left to join the NYCFC academy got debunked just about as soon as it first appeared. He's working for himself on his own project.

1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

Probably reading way too much into this, but Brattan following our women's team and congratulating them... just saying.

Can't play for us this season as he's been registered for too many clubs.

5 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

similar to olic, dirk kuyt would be a decent option, 35 and runs non stop, probly harder to bring him down as he's moved back to feyenoord and is banging goals in

Kuyt is going to retire at Feyenoord. No chance.

14 hours ago, Dylan said:

No I was thinking a relegation bound EPL club, you know like Chelsea.

11 hours ago, Falastur said:

The story that Gombau left to join the NYCFC academy got debunked just about as soon as it first appeared. He's working for himself on his own project.

This has been pointed out many times on this forum already, so don't feel bad when it's continued to be ignored.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Nate said:

no guest players plz, our forward/midfield is fine

sign some quality defenders and we'll win the league

I dont think better individual players will have a big impact. If we keep playing with a very narrow back 4 and our wingers don't track back, our opponents will keep switching play easily and threatening from wide areas.

Interesting rumours around Kuzi and Brown. The latter is reportedly 1 to 2 weeks away from being fit (going off the last report), so perhaps he could go to a club like CCM who will be desperate to strengthen in January (it would probably be best for Brown's long term interests too, as it could give him a contract over the long term [he's off contract at season's end with us] and he'd have a chance of getting game time there, while he's next to no chance of getting game time here).

Especially after the injury to Gameiro, who the club must surely count as one of our starting players, I can see Melbourne City strengthening in January. I'm not sure which position though, I guess that depends in part on which players are available.

A guest play could be valuable IMO. The player could start playing from the 29th of Jan, when we play WSW, and play 11 matches remaining in the season, and play 3 finals matches. Ideally the player would also show up 2 to 3 weeks before the 29th of Jan to be ready to play in the game against WSW.

We saw last season how mid-season signings--Novillo, Safuwan, Jaliens--can strengthen a team. Sydney FC strengthened last season too, signing 2 Visa players that helped them make the Grand Final. Especially with other A-League teams looking to strenghen in January, Melbourne City should be at least a little busy in January, because to stand still would be to go backwards. Hopefully the Club can give a sign of their serious ambitions, as well as their shrewd recruitment, and do a little smart business in January.

Edited by Murfy1

4 hours ago, strider said:

Caceres please.

He is a very attractive young man with the perfect balance of masculine and feminine features -- a heart-throb! 

Are you talking about his girlfriend?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_C%C3%A1ceres

Personal life

He is the boyfriend of Western Sydney Wanderers FC W-League forward Helen Petinos, whom he met at Westfields Sports High School.[5][6]

helen-petinos_1unf95kud0ifz102l47oe92jes

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic