Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

The team might have too many left sided attackers, and could perhaps be strengthened on the right side of attack.

Our players who prefer to play on the left include Novillo, Gameiro (where he scored against us last season), and even David Williams and Garuccio. Only Kuzmanovski plays RW as his main position.

Maybe Novillo or Gameiro are able to play on the right, but I'd like to see the club bring in another attacker who's suited to the right wing. Although I'd like to see Kuzmanovski get ample game next season, and who knows, maybe he'll become our main option at RW..

I have the feeling that the impact bruno has is going to make or break the season

i agree this is very important, however I see injuries as critical. If we can play our first XI we will be very competitive (though we need a marquee striker in my book), but if it's the 2nd XI then we will struggle. 

I've done a JW as that was way too long for a forum post. But there's everything I think about where the club is headed. Will it work? It didn't in season one but we have by far the best squad in our clubs history so if it doesn't work then JVS is off. He's already had more opportunities than any coach in modern history to get it right and learn on the job here.

I'll forgive you but...???

The team might have too many left sided attackers, and could perhaps be strengthened on the right side of attack.

Our players who prefer to play on the left include Novillo, Gameiro (where he scored against us last season), and even David Williams and Garuccio. Only Kuzmanovski plays RW as his main position.

Maybe Novillo or Gameiro are able to play on the right, but I'd like to see the club bring in another attacker who's suited to the right wing. Although I'd like to see Kuzmanovski get ample game next season, and who knows, maybe he'll become our main option at RW..

i wouldnt be so worried about a lack of right forward / wing options TBH Murfy - not yet at least.

assuming that Germano isnt re-signed yet, we have 20 players on the books - 3 of which (Marino, Kuzmanovski and Melling) as the under 20 players.

that leaves 6 spots left with 2 visa spots. plenty of time left to find solid Australian players with a few spots for quality imports.

and based on the players brought in so far, i think CFG taking its time is most probably a good thing.

the only issue for me is that as much as i'd love to watch Sorensen play given i used to enjoy seeing him play in the EPL, i hope that we dont waste the visa on a player that is not a long term option for us and prevents us from finding another little gem like Novillo.  

i actually have no problems what so ever with a GK being a visa providing the player brought in is clearly above the standards here - and to be very frank Sorensen would be. guys dont go that long and well in the EPL without being pure class.  

i just dont think we are maximising the value by placing faith in a guy who will play one season here - particularly where the role is based so primarily in a small portion of the field.

EDIT: as a side note for the LW options currently on hand, IIRC JVS at times seems to play with wingers who can easily cut in and shoot - there by requiring them to play on the opposite side to their preferred foot.  in part, i think thats why Willo has lasted so long.  as such, there could be an intent from JVS to create extra options from having forward's switch sides so to speak.

Edited by mattyh001

We are going to have a very handy defence and a lineup like this.

Sorrenson

Franjic.   Chapman Huges   zullo

Paartalu 

Koren       mooy

novillo            bruno               gamiero

Velaphi Kisnorbo Melling Kuzamanovski Retre 

And some depth too because you have clisby willow probably trifiro fighting for a spot

Kisnorbo > Chapman

• Like 2

I'll forgive you but...???

I love your posts mate they're spot on usually just often too long for casual forum reading. Don't stop doing it though. I use your posts as catch up material when I'm bored shitless in the office at work and don't want to speak to customers.

• Like 2

the only issue for me is that as much as i'd love to watch Sorensen play given i used to enjoy seeing him play in the EPL, i hope that we dont waste the visa on a player that is not a long term option for us and prevents us from finding another little gem like Novillo.  

i actually have no problems what so ever with a GK being a visa providing the player brought in is clearly above the standards here - and to be very frank Sorensen would be. guys dont go that long and well in the EPL without being pure class.  

i just dont think we are maximising the value by placing faith in a guy who will play one season here - particularly where the role is based so primarily in a small portion of the field.

IMO we're all assuming that Sorensen, if he does come, will be here for only one season. Suppose it turns out to be two and he's seen as a longer-term member of the coaching staff instead of Joey D once he ceases playing? I've got no doubt that Koren will be released at the end of the coming season, so I don't think we're doing too much damage to the visa situation if Sorensen joins us. The evidence is that CFG prefer the slow-built approach rather than slash-and-burn.

EDIT: as a side note for the LW options currently on hand, IIRC JVS at times seems to play with wingers who can easily cut in and shoot - there by requiring them to play on the opposite side to their preferred foot.  in part, i think thats why Willo has lasted so long.  as such, there could be an intent from JVS to create extra options from having forward's switch sides so to speak.

Id wager you will rarely see our wingers putting in crosses this season. Zullo And Franjic will be putting crosses in mostly. We need Gameiro and Novillo to be terrorising the defensive line by running directly, the others can then reap the rewards of the space created.

The second half v adelaide last season shows an example of when it works. Probably our best half of football last season. 

The test for me will be whether we can get results when it isn't quite working for us. We need to score goals because we will get hit on the counter. 

Id wager you will rarely see our wingers putting in crosses this season. Zullo And Franjic will be putting crosses in mostly. We need Gameiro and Novillo to be terrorising the defensive line by running directly, the others can then reap the rewards of the space created.

The second half v adelaide last season shows an example of when it works. Probably our best half of football last season. 

The test for me will be whether we can get results when it isn't quite working for us. We need to score goals because we will get hit on the counter. 

agreed, the signing of both Zullo and Franjic will see our full back positions get forward a lot this season (something that hasnt always been the case recently). and as you say the space our wingers create will be very beneficial for the full backs in terms of the full backs - wingers cutting inboard to drag opposing defenders central (or even better finding space centrally for the shot since opposing defenders might try to balance the need to cover both the winger and overlapping full back) will hopefully add a fair bit to our build up play (as opposed to counters).

i thought one of the main issues last season was that there was no real intention to get into the box given how much we just passed it around the penalty area.  hopefully the addition of two more aggressive full backs helps that by giving the wingers more freedom

• Like 1

agreed, the signing of both Zullo and Franjic will see our full back positions get forward a lot this season (something that hasnt always been the case recently). and as you say the space our wingers create will be very beneficial for the full backs in terms of the full backs - wingers cutting inboard to drag opposing defenders central (or even better finding space centrally for the shot since opposing defenders might try to balance the need to cover both the winger and overlapping full back) will hopefully add a fair bit to our build up play (as opposed to counters).

i thought one of the main issues last season was that there was no real intention to get into the box given how much we just passed it around the penalty area.  hopefully the addition of two more aggressive full backs helps that by giving the wingers more freedom

I'm confident this will work well. I'm just worried about them getting injured, and they both have a history of injury, and then we're buggered again. Retre can cover the right back, but we're light on for coverage at left back. If that happens we'll continue the same struggles getting the ball in,

Montreal Impact sign Drogba, but don't worry guys we have Koren who is is twice the player Drogba is... 

...because our league has the less appeal, sooner supporters realise this, sooner we stop getting cut up over decent players picking mls over a league. No amount of money is going to persuade a player to pick Australia especially when mls can match and exceed the wages. 

this would be perfect for us. With the lack of available Australian players who are genuine marquee players. Plus the 5yr loyalty bonus, which would likely put Germano outside the cap for us, probably why they've kept him around waiting for this to go through. Guessing us and WSW will get a slight alteration to the rule and Germano being our longest serving player, he'll probably be the only one eligible.

Essentially means we have been able to pay higher for the likes of Franjic, Zullo, Hughes if we keep Germano as $150k of his wage is not counted towards the cap.

this would be perfect for us. With the lack of available Australian players who are genuine marquee players. Plus the 5yr loyalty bonus, which would likely put Germano outside the cap for us, probably why they've kept him around waiting for this to go through. Guessing us and WSW will get a slight alteration to the rule and Germano being our longest serving player, he'll probably be the only one eligible.

Essentially means we have been able to pay higher for the likes of Franjic, Zullo, Hughes if we keep Germano as $150k of his wage is not counted towards the cap.

I think the question is still is he worth a visa position with his history/ profile? At this stage I'm not entirely sure. I think he is pretty handy and versatile but he isn't the second coming of Jesus he is made out to be on here. Sure he might provide a potential increase in the salary cap and I agree with you that is probably the main reason he is still around but I feel the first question still remains to be answered.

• Like 1

theres a rumour that ffa will change the marquee rules to 2 foreign marquees allowed instead of one Aussie, one foreign 

FFA will consider any rule change as long as it benefits Sydney or Victory (or better still, both).

But that cynicism aside...progress on our further signings looks to have stalled...?

FFA will consider any rule change as long as it benefits Sydney or Victory (or better still, both).

But that cynicism aside...progress on our further signings looks to have stalled...?

probably a bit of a stretch, you're completely guessing that...

• jw1739 pinned this topic