Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

There is a big opportunity to offload Hoffman and Redmayne, since the Jets are looking at rebuilding their squad. Hopefully the club can pull a Kalmar for the both of them

Stubbins is too astute to sign up players like that, he's just getting rid of Jets' encumbrances

Stubbins was so astute he recruited the worst squad in the league.

The only thing he seems to have excelled at was convincing the owner to not sack him. I say get him on the phone. Throw in Augustine Sokan as a sweetener.

The only good thing about Stubbins is that he played for Heidelberg.

Stubbins - was a shit player and now a shit coach. Next!

Franjic would be a big signing if the club could snare him. I'm hoping the club is working hard to get his signature.

Especially if Kennedy is going to be around next season, it is absolutely crucial that the club signs up some proper width. That is, good wingers and full-backs who can get up the pitch and provide service from wide areas into the box (hence definitely not the likes of Hoffman).

If the club can sign Franjic, there'd be a sense that Melbourne City is actually trying to build a coherent team, and the club will be making progress.

Not sure if this has been posted, but this was reported on Monday:

Sebastian Hassett

April 27, 2015

3. Perth Glory's squad could get broken up very soon

The mood around the Perth camp as they trudged out of the season - albeit with a 2-1 win over Western Sydney - was terribly sombre. As of right now, every player on the Glory's list has a decision to make. The salary cap breach which saw them excluded from this season's finals series means every player can leave on a free transfer if they so desire. Expect offers to come flooding in for Danny Vukovic (both Melbourne clubs are interested and perhaps the Wanderers), Michael Thwaite, Rostyn Griffiths (wanting a European move), Josh Risdon and Jamie Maclaren, while top-scorer Andy Keogh may decide to cut his losses after his involvement in the rorts and return to England.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victory-are-the-best-team-in-the-aleague-and-thats-final-20150427-1mu32i.html

So now separate reports have linked Melbourne City with Galekovic and with Vukovic. I'd say it's official that Melbourne City are in the market for a new quality no 1 keeper.

That would also likely mean that one of Redmayne and Velaphi will depart the club at season's end. I know who I'd prefer to see go.

So now separate reports have linked Melbourne City with Galekovic and with Vukovic. I'd say it's official that Melbourne City are in the market for a new quality no 1 keeper.

That would also likely mean that one of Redmayne and Velaphi will depart the club at season's end. I know who I'd prefer to see go.

But I think we know that it will be the wrong one.

It's amazing how shit players like Hoffman and Redmayne can be retained while others are released.

Probably the best thing to come out of the game against Perth 2 weeks ago is that it made the club aware of Vukovic. Would be a good signing

If the club needed that to become aware of Vukovic then the newly aware people should be fired immediately as they are obviously incompetent.
  • Like 3

Isaka Cernak was released by the Mariners today and being just about the only club in the A-League that he hasn't played for, I'm sure we've got a spot in our ranks for him.

...I seriously hope we don't though

Isaka Cernak was released by the Mariners today and being just about the only club in the A-League that he hasn't played for, I'm sure we've got a spot in our ranks for him.

funnily enough he has actually been one of their best players in the last few weeks. Still wouldn't take him though

They've also released Zac Anderson who i would definitely take. 

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 1

funnily enough he has actually been one of their best players in the last few weeks. Still wouldn't take him though

shitcunt, probly focus on his "modelling career" 

We took James Brown - same sort of lack of talent so yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if we took him.

I get the sense CBs aren't a high priority for Melbourne City. The club already has Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby (mainly a CB, but also a pretty capable LB of course) for next season.

That's why I believe the club released Safuwan with little hesitation, and I reckon Jaliens will be released at the end of the season as well.

To strengthen the defence it looks like the club is targeting a new GK and maybe a fullback or two, which makes sense IMO. Jaliens and Safuwan were good stop-gap signings (excellent mid-season signing really), and were especially handy filling in at LB and RB, but it looks like they were likely only to be stopgap signings until the club got proper fullbacks (maybe such as Franjic).

I agree though a new striker and/or winger simply has to be the first priority for strengthening the team.

Out of A-League players, I'd be pleased if the club made an effort to sign:

- Jamie Maclaren

- Bernie Ibini (unlikely, but if his CSL club Shanghai Dongya want money for Ibini we might have a chance)

- Corey Gameiro

- Nikita Rukavytsya (replacement for Ramsay and maybe Dugandzic. I think he's much better than he's been at under-performing WSW this season)

And maybe a sneaky bid for out of contract Tomi Juric.

And some maybe A-League signings are:

- Shane Smeltz

- Zac Anderson

- Brendan Hamill

- Daniel Georgievski

If the club could snare 1 of Galekovic or Vukovic, as well as Franjic, then signing a few of the out of contract players above would make the team very well positioned for next season IMO. And there'd still be 4 or 3 Visa spots left to fill, and who knows maybe a little change with the marquee spots as well..

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Melbourne City should keep a few of this season players and get rid of a lot. As Duff is going sign Novillo on a full contract as well as buy Rukavytsya and Maclaren. Sign Franjic and ship Hoff to Newcastle with Ramsey. New Centre back needed because Wielaart will retire and new CM, CAM as back ups. New RB for cover for Franjic. Get rid of Redders and get Birighitti or Vukovic.

Tando 

Franjic Kisnorbo Chapman Risdon

Melling Paartalu Mooy 

Rukavytsya Kennedy Maclaren

Bench: New Keeper, Koren, New CB, Novillo and Germano

Reserves: Garuccio, Williams, Retre, Marino, New CM, New CAM, Clisby, New RB, New ST

Who we should get

- Mark Birighitti GK as back up but will rotate

- Danny Vukovic GK as starter and put Tando on bench 

- Jack Hingert RB as back up

- Zac Anderson CB just in case someone gets injured

- Osama Malik CM will get 1st team action if fit

- Devante Clut as back up CAM

- Chris Naumoff as back up for Kennedy

- Nikita Rukavytsya as new winger

- Jamie Maclaren as new winger

- Ivan Franjic as new RB

- Brandon Borrello as a new winger/ striker

Edited by TheTransferKing

Murphy I f JVS isn't a fan of bringing in another quality centre back then he's a bigger idiot than I thought. Kisnorbo did some great defensive work but he's slow. We cannot play a high pressing game with him in the team. You can't have your defensive line sitting on the half way line and expect him to outrun a Berisha or Burns or basically anyone over that distance. If we play Chapman and Kisnorbo next season together we will not win the league garunteed.

Murphy I f JVS isn't a fan of bringing in another quality centre back then he's a bigger idiot than I thought. Kisnorbo did some great defensive work but he's slow. We cannot play a high pressing game with him in the team. You can't have your defensive line sitting on the half way line and expect him to outrun a Berisha or Burns or basically anyone over that distance. If we play Chapman and Kisnorbo next season together we will not win the league garunteed.

The team doesn't have to play a high press, with the back 4 around the halfway line, but instead could play more of a "medium block" (also called a "half press"), where the back 4 are positioned a bit inside their own half (an example of this can be seen here, in this Australia Scout article).

JVS was IMO pretty fairly criticised going into the season because the team didn't have enough fullbacks, and IMO fullbacks should be the main defensive recruits going into next season (I'm happy enough with Velaphi, so a good new keeper would be a bonus IMO).

To get new fullbacks a few players have to go. If the team released Safuwan and Wielaert (& Jaliens) and got Franjic and another fullback (e.g. a LB), I personally would be pretty happy with that. IMO the Chapman & Kisnorbo partnership is a pretty solid one, and I'd say Clisby and young Symeoy are decent cover for CB.

Overall, to spread quality across an A-League squad, across every position in the XI, great depth is unattainable. If the team could have a back 4 of Clisby/Garuccio/New LB, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Franjic, with Velaphi or Galekovic or Vukovic behind them, that's a defence worth getting even if the team is a bit lighter in the CB position IMO. 

The team doesn't have to play a high press, with the back 4 around the halfway line, but instead could play more of a "medium block" (also called a "half press"), where the back 4 are positioned a bit inside their own half (an example of this can be seen here, in this Australia Scout article).

JVS was IMO pretty fairly criticised going into the season because the team didn't have enough fullbacks, and IMO fullbacks should be the main defensive recruits going into next season (I'm happy enough with Velaphi, so a good new keeper would be a bonus IMO).

To get new fullbacks a few players have to go. If the team released Safuwan and Wielaert (& Jaliens) and got Franjic and another fullback (e.g. a LB), I personally would be pretty happy with that. IMO the Chapman & Kisnorbo partnership is a pretty solid one, and I'd say Clisby and young Symeoy are decent cover for CB.

Overall, to spread quality across an A-League squad, across every position in the XI, great depth is unattainable. If the team could have a back 4 of Clisby/Garuccio/New LB, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Franjic, with Velaphi or Galekovic or Vukovic behind them, that's a defence worth getting even if the team is a bit lighter in the CB position IMO. 

I would hope Garuccio will play only has a left winger Murfy

• Like 1

Dutch media reporting Melbourne City and Van der Vaart have been in contact [Google Translated BTW]:

"Van der Vaart is welcome here he can make the difference"

01 May 2015

Rafael van der Vaart leaves after this season at Hamburger SV on a free transfer, but he does not complain about interest. Ajax was named America and also appeared as his next destination, but so far, little is known. 

Coming from Australia is now hoping for Van der Vaart. Coach John van 't Schip of Melbourne City FC is in fact charmed by his compatriot. "I've known Rafael since he was fourteen, when I was a youth coach who would definitely make the difference for some years, but know,.. This is a physical league where you have to travel much You have to handle it well." emphasizes Van 't Schip in conversation with Heroes Online . "You have to be really fit, that some have really underestimated in the past. When you're here just comes your technical skills play, then snow yourself. Because you do not simply in can do alone. The players are going to help you because technically not as gifted you with that. " "I called him last year, but when he still had a year contract in Hamburg. I asked him how he would find it to come this way. And I told him I loved him would like to have, that he is always welcome. But in the A-league you can only have one player outside the salary cap have under contract and spot has been forgiven, so now it's not, "Van 't Schip decision with a caveat. 

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/314513/Van_der_Vaart_is_welkom,_hij_kan_hier_het_verschil_maken

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Melbourne City should keep a few of this season players and get rid of a lot. As Duff is going sign Novillo on a full contract as well as buy Rukavytsya and Maclaren. Sign Franjic and ship Hoff to Newcastle with Ramsey. New Centre back needed because Wielaart will retire and new CM, CAM as back ups. New RB for cover for Franjic. Get rid of Redders and get Birighitti or Vukovic.

Tando 

Franjic Kisnorbo Chapman Risdon

Melling Paartalu Mooy 

Rukavytsya Kennedy Maclaren

Bench: New Keeper, Koren, New CB, Novillo and Germano

Reserves: Garuccio, Williams, Retre, Marino, New CM, New CAM, Clisby, New RB, New ST

Who we should get

- Mark Birighitti GK as back up but will rotate

- Danny Vukovic GK as starter and put Tando on bench 

- Jack Hingert RB as back up

- Zac Anderson CB just in case someone gets injured

- Osama Malik CM will get 1st team action if fit

- Devante Clut as back up CAM

- Chris Naumoff as back up for Kennedy

- Nikita Rukavytsya as new winger

- Jamie Maclaren as new winger

- Ivan Franjic as new RB

- Brandon Borrello as a new winger/ striker

Your first XI over the cap easy

Dutch media reporting Melbourne City and Van der Vaart have been in contact [Google Translated BTW]:

01 May 2015

Rafael van der Vaart leaves after this season at Hamburger SV on a free transfer, but he does not complain about interest. Ajax was named America and also appeared as his next destination, but so far, little is known. 

http://www.soccernews.nl/news/314513/Van_der_Vaart_is_welkom,_hij_kan_hier_het_verschil_maken

I guess whilst the rules in the league remain and with any player being linked to MLS, you can't rule out the possibility of a guest stint. And although Villa failed I'm sure the guest rule is something CFG will continue to try to use/exploit. Just this time have him commit to us before worrying about the next club!

Zac Anderson , you can't b serious. Spends more time at the hairdresser than on the training track. Some people on this forum!!!!!

He didn't have the best season this year but hes a solid experienced player in the A aleague. Under the cap and as a non visa it's definitely worth it, even if its as a backup to kisnorbo and Chapman. We definitely need another CB or two, one experienced (Anderson) and a rookie, like Archibald.

01 May 2015

Rafael van der Vaart leaves after this season at Hamburger SV on a free transfer, but he does not complain about interest. Ajax was named America and also appeared as his next destination, but so far, little is known.

I guess whilst the rules in the league remain and with any player being linked to MLS, you can't rule out the possibility of a guest stint. And although Villa failed I'm sure the guest rule is something CFG will continue to try to use/exploit. Just this time have him commit to us before worrying about the next club!

Would love to see Van Der Vaart play for us, cant see how though we would fit him in with Mooy. With a decent coach we could yes, but if JVS is gone next season there's no chance Van der Vaart will come

IMO what that article actually says is that the marquee place is already taken and therefore there's no room for van der Vaart at City.

Anyway, looks as though he could be going to the MLS.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/25/report-former-tottenham-cult-hero-rafael-van-der-vaart-agrees-de/

Edited by jw1739

IMO what that article actually says is that the marquee place is already taken and therefore there's no room for van der Vaart at City.

Anyway, looks as though he could be going to the MLS.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/03/25/report-former-tottenham-cult-hero-rafael-van-der-vaart-agrees-de/

I don't speak Dutch but the translation seems to say that currently there wouldn't be a spot available for Van der Vaart. Which is true, because Koren is signed up. But if the club jettisoned Koren, which it could easily do if it wanted, then the club would be able to sign up VDV for next season as the club's international marquee.

What I find interesting about the above article is that JVS called VDV 1 year ago, and (logically) would have done so before the club signed up Koren (hence VDV was the preferred target). But at the time VDV said he was keen to see out his contract with Hamburg.

But JVS also said "he is always welcome" at Melbourne City, so I'd be surprised if the club didn't contemplate the possibly of signing up the soon-to-be-free-agent Van der Vaart as the club's international marquee for next season.

Also, that article about him joining MLS side Sporting Kansas is over a month old. More recent reports had their CEO say the deal couldn't happen due to disagreements over wages:

"It wouldn't make sense for us [to sign Van der Vaart]," the MLS Cup-winning boss said. "No disrespect to him, but it doesn't make sense for the kind of numbers we're talking.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/04/04/former-tottenham-star-rafael-van-der-vaarts-wage-demands-halting/

And reports from a few days ago state " At first it seemed on his way to Sporting Kansas City, but the American club has reportedly abandoned the interest [because of] salary requirements."  (http://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuws/433923/-van-der-vaart-is-er-zo-goed-als-uit-en-heeft-keuze-uit-drie-clubs-in-n-stad-.html)

Of course, wage demands shouldn't be an issue (in theory) for Melbourne City signing an international marquee. All that needs to happen is for CFG to show some imagination and a little bit of effort and Melbourne City can sign up its own Frank Lampard or David Villa.

• jw1739 pinned this topic