Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Based on how the squad is evolving, I think a big tick to CFG thus far

+1

We were left with a few legacy signings that I am sure JVS and CFG weren't that happy with, but they had to deal with it.

The one thing though, where does JD fit in when it comes to signings these days? His track record hasn't been great, but hopefully with the network of scouts his job will be made easier, and if hes still not up to it it may be time to move him on.

Based on how the squad is evolving, I think a big tick to CFG thus far

+1

We were left with a few legacy signings that I am sure JVS and CFG weren't that happy with, but they had to deal with it.

The one thing though, where does JD fit in when it comes to signings these days? His track record hasn't been great, but hopefully with the network of scouts his job will be made easier, and if hes still not up to it it may be time to move him on.

Good question. I also imagine that Heart were not paying the full salary cap.

there has just been a video posted on the club's Facebook page showing a bit of Harry Novillo at training.

At 32 seconds there is a goalkeeper walking out of the change rooms holding up his gloves so that we can't see his face. The hair is pretty distinctive, and it is definitely not redmayne. anyone know who it is?

EDIT: unless redmayne has had a shane smeltz haircut

post-412-0-01496000-1425354631_thumb.png

post-412-0-04602200-1425354653_thumb.png

Edited by heart_fan10
  • Like 1

there has just been a video posted on the club's Facebook page showing a bit of Harry Novillo at training.

At 32 seconds there is a goalkeeper walking out of the change rooms holding up his gloves so that we can't see his face. The hair is pretty distinctive, and it is definitely not redmayne. anyone know who it is?

obviously Redmayne, have a look at the number on the shirt & shorts... 

obviously Redmayne, have a look at the number on the shirt & shorts... 

yeah the way he was hiding his face i thought maybe it was a new player. Was probably hoping redmayne was gone more than anything

• Like 1

Redmayne initially signed for two years in January 2012 for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons, commencing with Heart after Brisbane's ACL campaign.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-heart-signs-brisbane-roar-goalkeeper-andrew-redmayne/story-e6frfg8x-1226249818563

In June 2013 he extended his contract, according to FFA, until the end of the 2015-16 season.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Hoffman-and-Redmayne-resign/68796

http://www.mfootball.com.au/redmayne-and-hoffman-sign-on-for-more-heart/

Other articles I've tracked are not quite so specific about the renegotiated contract, but it does appear that he is here for another season after this one.

Perth Glory have just released Brendon O'Neill - a 20 yo DM to follow other football opportunities.

has anyone seen him play / was he any good?

not expecting the club to chase / get every young player out of other players so to hoard young talent.

more so i'd imagine the club to always be on the look out and since the club has done so well so far with recruiting young players, i'm just a little eager to see who is next.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a 32 year old Shaun Wright Phillips something people would be happy with?

We are already committed to Koren for next season. Leaving four visa places.

Of the other foreign players:

IMO we can assume Duff is going (he's off-contract and has repeatedly said he is going back to Ireland).

Germano and Wielaert are off-contract and IMO we can assume that they will be released.

Safuwan is here on a three-month loan deal.

Novillo is here as an injury replacemen (Duff).

Jaliens is here as an injury replacement (Wielaert).

James Horsfield (ManC EDS) is apparently here with us (or was here with us if not now) on a training stint.

Opinion on here seems to favour signing Safuwan and Novillo for next season, taking the visa complement to three. Presumably Horsfield is here with at least some consideration of him being here next year, which if it happens would take the visa number to four.

The question then is what to do with the remaining place.

Personally I like Jaliens. What he possibly lacks in athleticism he reads the game beautifully and I would not be averse to him staying on for a year (no more). Others will probably differ. Against Jaliens is his age and that IMO we definitely need a proper striker (or two) because I can't see Kennedy appearing too often.

Wright-Phillips might be OK but based on our history I'd rather find someone younger.

Edited by jw1739

I'm all for Safuwan to have a proper two year contract.

Novillo too early to tell but so far so good. No need to rush.

Jaliens has been very good with the exception of two games where he was ordinary (CCM/WSW). My preference would be to keep our options open and see what the budget available is and who may be available. No need to rush any re-signing.

So for me there are only two spots taken: Koren and Safuwan.

What I would like to hear from JVS (he is the current coach) is what he sees as the weaknesses in the starting XI and the type of player that is required to fix this; and where the depth is going to come from. Given that he prefers a 4-3-3 formation the players required for this to work are not all at the club yet.

IMO we can assume Duff is going (he's off-contract and has repeatedly said he is going back to Ireland).

Germano and Wielaert are off-contract and IMO we can assume that they will be released.

James Horsfield (ManC EDS) is apparently here with us (or was here with us if not now) on a training stint.

Opinion on here seems to favour signing Safuwan and Novillo for next season, taking the visa complement to three. Presumably Horsfield is here with at least some consideration of him being here next year, which if it happens would take the visa number to four.

Personally I like Jaliens. What he possibly lacks in athleticism he reads the game beautifully and I would not be averse to him staying on for a year (no more). Others will probably differ. Against Jaliens is his age and that IMO we definitely need a proper striker (or two) because I can't see Kennedy appearing too often.

Wright-Phillips might be OK but based on our history I'd rather find someone younger.

All makes sense to me mate. I'm not for SWP but just hearing rumours we have approached him. I'm no Sharpy though with the in the know info.

I think Safuwan and Novillo should be kept. Given a pre season (hopefully under a new coach) and launch into next season.

Koren I wonder if there is anything we can do mutually to release him. He doesn't seem happy here and he's not performing for us.

It all comes down to how much salary space we have left.

The more you use on a few higher paid players, the less that is available for squad depth. Depth has been one of our biggest issues throughout the years, as injuries seem to become common for those we expect big things from.

With Duff gone and Wielart all but on his way home soon too, there should be significant cap space left just from those 2, Harry may well ask for a decent amount though, so that will be key in any decision making process.

Interesting article on Safuwan:

http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/safuwan-waits-contract

I like Jaliens too. I think he has been very good since joining and has provided experience and stability to our defence.

However if we had one remaining spot we needed to fill, I wouldn't keep him. I would go all out to find a left footed, youngish, skillful and attacking player from o/s to complement Novillo, Kennedy and Koren (who I honestly believe will rediscover his mojo once JvS has pissed off).

I'd also get rid of this 4-3-3 inverted winger bs and go with a formation that suits these guys better.... and a coach who can implement it. I quite liked the article i saw the other day on Balkan coaches and think someone with nous and flair like a Stojkovic could do well with us.

As much as he wouldn't like it, I saw enough of Mooy on Saturday to suggest he would be a much better DM than Paartalu. He has the tank and the pace to go box-to-box all day, starting in defence to cover opposing attackers coming forward, pick up the ball from the back when in possession and then get forward enough to create a real nuisance. Apart from the odd header or two, I struggle to see what we are getting from big Erik. His fitness to me is a real issue and hence so is his mobility. I quite like the idea made a little while back of trying him as a CB.

A starting formation perhaps like this to start the season: Don't think we are that far away to be honest. The remaining players we have can stay on the bench or flogged off for more developing local talent.

Velaphi

Safuwan       Chapman      Kisnorbo/Paartalu       Clisby

Mooy   Melling

Koren

Novillo                      New gun Visa

Kennedy

• Like 2

I like Jaliens too. I think he has been very good since joining and has provided experience and stability to our defence.

However if we had one remaining spot we needed to fill, I wouldn't keep him. I would go all out to find a left footed, youngish, skillful and attacking player from o/s to complement Novillo, Kennedy and Koren (who I honestly believe will rediscover his mojo once JvS has pissed off).

I'd also get rid of this 4-3-3 inverted winger bs and go with a formation that suits these guys better.... and a coach who can implement it. I quite liked the article i saw the other day on Balkan coaches and think someone with nous and flair like a Stojkovic could do well with us.

As much as he wouldn't like it, I saw enough of Mooy on Saturday to suggest he would be a much better DM than Paartalu. He has the tank and the pace to go box-to-box all day, starting in defence to cover opposing attackers coming forward, pick up the ball from the back when in possession and then get forward enough to create a real nuisance. Apart from the odd header or two, I struggle to see what we are getting from big Erik. His fitness to me is a real issue and hence so is his mobility. I quite like the idea made a little while back of trying him as a CB.

A starting formation perhaps like this to start the season: Don't think we are that far away to be honest. The remaining players we have can stay on the bench or flogged off for more developing local talent.

Velaphi

Mooy   Melling

Koren

Kennedy

Paartalu as a CB? Interesting.

I'd also love to see some youth players get a chance next year.

It was me who raised the possibility of Paartalu as a CB.

I don't necessarily see converting a player from one position to another is always the wrong thing to do - it depends on whether he's still suitable for the position he's traditionally held. If you read the careers of players you will see that plenty of players were forwards when they were young - simply because of their natural ball-playing abilities - but subsequently matured into defenders.

I like that line-up proposed by Rass above, except that IMO we can do a lot better than Kennedy of course. But it has got a bit of potential buzz and flair about it and with the right coach to get the best out of them we could recapture some interest in the club.

• Like 1

It was me who raised the possibility of Paartalu as a CB.

I don't necessarily see converting a player from one position to another is always the wrong thing to do - it depends on whether he's still suitable for the position he's traditionally held. If you read the careers of players you will see that plenty of players were forwards when they were young - simply because of their natural ball-playing abilities - but subsequently matured into defenders.

I like that line-up proposed by Rass above, except that IMO we can do a lot better than Kennedy of course. But it has got a bit of potential buzz and flair about it and with the right coach to get the best out of them we could recapture some interest in the club.

Yep totally agree.

I know it's an in joke with our club re playing players out of position.... but you could argue that in his case, Erik isn't probably doing a great job in his usual position. So especially as he has a 4 year contract, why not try and re-invent him?

It's different to the Ramsay case (and a few others), where a player was re-invented because there was a need to fulfill a particular position. In this case it's not because we are lacking in a position, it's more for the benefit of the player himself. So I'm all for what JW raised.

And agree also on Kennedy. Whilst with us, he is the choice for that striker position.... but hopefully as the season progresses, Marino or Dekker or hopefully a good, strong local recruit could fill that role.

Edited by rass

Velaphi

Mooy   Melling

Koren

Kennedy

I like it, but here's what I'd hope for:

• Kennedy off the bench with a new visa striker to replace him.
  • Franjic at RB, Safuwan on the left
  • A player (maybe from the NPL) as defensive cover
  • I want Koren out, but may be easier said than done. His release would free up that marquee spot for another number 10
  • If Koren must stay, I'd be giving the forgotten man Stef Mauk a go. He'll be 20 by this stage, with a season of football at NPL Level under his belt.

Get a good manager in and there's your title.

• Like 1

Koren I wonder if there is anything we can do mutually to release him. He doesn't seem happy here and he's not performing for us.

He's a marquee, so I'm pretty certain he could have his contact paid out at the end of the season and the club could sign another marquee for next season. As far as I know there's nothing preventing A-League clubs from doing that, except for A-League clubs general unwillingness to cough up money to get things done.

I wonder if Shaun Wright-Phillips could be signed inside the cap, as a possible replacement for Duff? Duff played on our right wing, Wright-Philips could play on our right wing...

Wright-Phillips could be a pretty handy signing IMO, especially if an Australian like Kennedy (or perhaps Babalj?) could play up front for the team.

Edited by Murfy1

• jw1739 pinned this topic