Melbourne Football

City v WU @ AAMI, Saturday 16th January, 7.10pm

Harrison

Very even half. Western United are well organised, occasionally dangerous, always spirited and a worthy opponent whilst we by contrast have miscommunication issues at the back, don’t always play to the right line, Connor Pain is running amok on the left, but we look a lot more adventurous in attack. If truth be told both sides are playing like they’re trying to find their rhythm, there’s lots of consecutive passes by the visitors compared to us but quality into the box is a common let down. Enjoyable night for football. 

• Like 1

Marco Tilio wow, I've heard all about him. But he was amazing once he came off bench. 

Special mention to Colacovski as well, easily the best he has looked as well. 

Not a brilliant performance but it's 3 points again against Tarneit United, wish we could play them every week

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Best game from Noone for a long time. Stokes looked decent coming in as a rookie. And we like the Japanese Wookie. 

Stefan Colakovski? 

Him and Tilio were game changes off the bench. Credit to them got us over the line and Berengeur shored up the midfield . Noone and Jmac on the sheet as well. 

Game chanced after the subs champagne football after that. Bit below par before that weren’t in the game 

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck me. That ball from Luna!

Have to hand it to Paddy. Spot on with the subs. And Luna to #6- match changing. Tulio looks one to watch.

That's why I don't agree with recording assists. Other than actually putting it in the net that goal was Luna's. Beautiful, graceful ball - the very poetry of football - it would have graced any match in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From what I could tell the City coaches were unhappy with the WU players of deliberately going down, faking injuries, halting the momentum. Rudan got in the face of the bald headed City assistant coach and they exchanged pleasantries. Whilst this was going on another City coach or official was pleading with the third referee. I didn’t see Rudan and Kisnorbo going at it face to face but there was a lot of gobbling off between him and the City bench in general. It got pretty lively. 

2 hours ago, Deluka said:

Our staff were complaining that play was stopped for an arm injury, Rudan was essentially suggesting that we could be more compassionate. 

Diamanté is a protected species, Rudan knows it, everyone knows it.

my main reason i got stuck into diamante went hey diamante he looked at me thinking i was gonna give him praise and just went hows the elbow mate he went what i went bit sore is it ya flog seems alright now and he just kept walking haha

• Like 1

Pro's

• Noone's goal was an absolute peach (off his right foot too) and total class
  • Quality through balls along the ground (like Luna's) require quality runs (like Colakovski's).  Our link up play was fantastic.
  • And on that, Jmac's was a great team goal.  As much banging goals (like Noone's) look great for the ordinary fan and help build headlines, it's goals like the second one that provide the success (or lack thereof) of any team.  As we have seen from Noone's inconsistency, you just can't rely on worldies every time to win you games
  • Good was class as normal, and Stokes did a great job on debut.
  • each of the younger players really stood up
  • personally, i think we can thank Delbridge for changing his game up.  The fact of the matter was his normal lunges and last-ditch-go-to-ground play were so non existent last night it meant we could finally keep 11 players on field (both this season AND against WU).  The guy doesn't get enough credit 😉

Con's

• the first team to score tends to win games over 60% of the time.  We can't afford to go behind too often.
  • we were short of CBs to start with.  Griffiths doing a hammy is a massive worry (particularly with his age
  • the pace of Paine down the right side of our defense.  we were just lucky he's shite
  • Glover's made a few alarming decisions recently.  Unfortunately he plays a position where we will be punished when he gets caught out.  I know that he plays his role as a keeper sweeper (which means there are benefits to him being off his line), but FMD he was a bit worrying last night

More so than any pros and cons of the actual game last night, how good was it to actually be back at the football?

Walked away buzzing and will likely have a pep in the step for the next few days. 

But imo solid if not spectacular performance for 70 odd minutes before an absolutely electric finish. Lots of positives to take out of it for sure, especially the performance of the kids.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

So what’s next? I’m a little confused with all the fixture reshuffling. It seems like we might have a gap until our next match which is annoying because it’s hard to maintain momentum, but i suppose it helps with all of our injuries. 

At the moment it looks like the next match is at home to Central Coast on Wednesday 3rd February, and then following that at home to Western Sydney on Monday 8th February, both K.O. 7.00 p.m. (Club website).

There'll be a big backlog at this rate, and a very congested fixture later on. The country seems to be becoming more unified and focussed on quarantine now, and with vaccinations likely to start in February perhaps there are brighter times ahead.

Attendance 7,068. That is very close to being the maximum allowed under COVID-19 rules (25% capacity).

14 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck me. That ball from Luna!

Have to hand it to Paddy. Spot on with the subs. And Luna to #6- match changing. Tulio looks one to watch.

I've replayed that goal about 20 times already!

• Like 1