5.Erik PAARTALU

7.Iain RAMSAY

11.Damien DUFF

Of course these guys with higher numbers are starters too:

15.David WILLIAMS

17.Jason HOFFMAN

23.Mate DUGANDZIC

24.Patrick KISNORBO ©

Interestingly, Paddy is the only player with an even number...conspiracy? :ph34r: 

Very odd.

• Like 3

If JvS had any balls, he'd come out with something completely different, maybe

Erik Melling

Dugandzic

Duff Marino Williams

Let's hope he has no balls then, duganzic gets moved back into his winger position finishes with one goal and one assist and you want to move him out. And why all the excitement about Marino he scored a tap in let's talk about the young lad once he has proven a bit more.

Well the only way we are going to find out about Marino is by playing him. And also the excitement comes in because over the seasons supporters have seen many a tap being shanked.

Looks like the old #startwalker gang has found their new man... :rolleyes:

And FWIW if you really want to develop the #yoof that is Marino, easily the worst possible way at going around it would be to start this underdeveloped kid at CF in his first year of Professional Football too soon... it is akin to running an underdeveloped Colt in the graveyard that is the VRC Derby.

The difference is Walker had plenty of chances and showed he was no good. I don't see a problem with giving a guy like Marino more chances after he did all he made the most of his opportunity last week.

How about a dedicated vuvuzela ensemble? You could even tune them to different pitches and then play them like bells.

I have been told (can't be bothered confirming it) that it is illegal to enter a stadium with a vuvuzela and has been so since the 90s when the South Africans were allowed back into world cricket. I don't know what the penalties are but I think a lynching would be sufficient.

How about a dedicated vuvuzela ensemble? You could even tune them to different pitches and then play them like bells.

I have been told (can't be bothered confirming it) that it is illegal to enter a stadium with a vuvuzela and has been so since the 90s when the South Africans were allowed back into world cricket. I don't know what the penalties are but I think a lynching would be justified. Fixed

The form of Melbourne City and Central Coast is largely why I'm pretty confident of a good result this Sunday. There's also 3 other reasons that further suggest that City will win:

A). Melbourne City played the Central Coast Mariners recently in pre-season, so the team should know exactly what they are up against. Also, I'd say Melbourne City put in a strong performance in that match, and should be able to build on that previous match to get maximum points.

B.). After 5 rounds Melbourne City have actually scored the equal 2nd highest number of goals this season, with 8 goals. Only victory have scored more goals, and their goal tally is flattering because of City's 5 goal defensive capitulation (which is half of City's goals conceded this season. Otherwise City have conceded the much more respectable number of 1.25 goals a game). Also the team scored 75% of their goals without Villa. So I think there's no reason to doubt City's goal-scoring form ATM.

C). Set pieces. Melbourne City have arguably been the most threatening team from set pieces this season, with Mooy and Duff in particular providing good service. The team has scored 3 this season, and scored a well worked set piece against CCM in pre-season. Moreover, it's good to hear that the team's been working on set pieces this week in training and I can see that training paying off, especially with CCM losing in the past 3 games after conceding first (such as the Adelaide match mid-week, where sure enough a set piece got Adelaide their first goal and helped them go on to win).

I can't actually think of obvious arguments why Melbourne City shouldn't win this Sunday. Perhaps the main argument for that is the team doing 'a Melbourne Heart', where the team underwhelms when some expectations are placed upon them, and/or the team fades out during match as the match wears on (esp. in the 2nd half). However, I don't see that happening, as I believe enough water has passed under the bridge, and think things are different now..

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Wasn't really impressed with our overall game against Brisbane last week. Yes we scored three goals but if it wasn't for the first 10 minutes where we shocked a really average team we wouldn't have won the game.

They were the better team after the first 15-20 minutes of the game comfortably IMO.

I am expecting a loss on Sunday. CCM 2-0 or 2-1.

For me, CCM play way too defensive and really park the bus. This match provides City an opportunity to demonstrate whether they have the talent to unlock a team that goes out there to defend (that includes the players as well as the coaching staff). Without Mooy, who is City's most creative midfielder, the rest of the team will have their work cut out. We shall also see whether Miller has the mettle to get another gig at an A-League club. Can CCM score? I think it is most likely to come from a penalty. I don't believe CCM has the players capable of outrunning Ramsay or Hoffman and so those two should be able to put in a solid effort.

For me, CCM play way too defensive and really park the bus. This match provides City an opportunity to demonstrate whether they have the talent to unlock a team that goes out there to defend (that includes the players as well as the coaching staff). Without Mooy, who is City's most creative midfielder, the rest of the team will have their work cut out. We shall also see whether Miller has the mettle to get another gig at an A-League club. Can CCM score? I think it is most likely to come from a penalty. I don't believe CCM has the players capable of outrunning Ramsay or Hoffman and so those two should be able to put in a solid effort.

CCM was the second lowest goal scoring side last season and one of the lowest conceding sides and finished 3rd while we finished last. The odds are that this won't be a goal fest and that there may only be a goal in it at the end. We could shit our pants after having most of the possession in the first half and not scoring and then conceding a needless soft one via a brain fade or a penalty in the second half. We have that in our DNA. On the upside the win against BrisVegas was a confidence booster without Villa, with Duga and Willo coming out of his shadow to show some form again. This should be a game that suits our quick counter attack style so that we can open up CCM before they have time to organise the bus. This is a must win game.

The form of Melbourne City and Central Coast is largely why I'm pretty confident of a good result this Sunday. There's also 3 other reasons that further suggest that City will win:

A). Melbourne City played the Central Coast Mariners recently in pre-season, so the team should know exactly what they are up against. Also, I'd say Melbourne City put in a strong performance in that match, and should be able to build on that previous match to get maximum points.

B.). After 5 rounds Melbourne City have actually scored the equal 2nd highest number of goals this season, with 8 goals. Only victory have scored more goals, and their goal tally is flattering because of City's 5 goal defensive capitulation (which is half of City's goals conceded this season. Otherwise City have conceded the much more respectable number of 1.25 goals a game). Also the team scored 75% of their goals without Villa. So I think there's no reason to doubt City's goal-scoring form ATM.

C). Set pieces. Melbourne City have arguably been the most threatening team from set pieces this season, with Mooy and Duff in particular providing good service. The team has scored 3 this season, and scored a well worked set piece against CCM in pre-season. Moreover, it's good to hear that the team's been working on set pieces this week in training and I can see that training paying off, especially with CCM losing in the past 3 games after conceding first (such as the Adelaide match mid-week, where sure enough a set piece got Adelaide their first goal and helped them go on to win).

I can't actually think of obvious arguments why Melbourne City shouldn't win this Sunday. Perhaps the main argument for that is the team doing 'a Melbourne Heart', where the team underwhelms when some expectations are placed upon them, and/or the team fades out during match as the match wears on (esp. in the 2nd half). However, I don't see that happening, as I believe enough water has passed under the bridge, and think things are different now..

Not sure we'll score here.

How many of last week's goals would have occurred against a decent keeper?

How many of last week's goals would have happened without Mooy?

Okay maybe we will score, but unless Redmayne has another game like last week I think CCM will score.

So I see a win here not being an easy task.

Hard to tell TBH, who knows what we're going to do after last week.

I'll put this down as 1-1.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

[...]

Okay maybe we will score, but unless Redmayne has another game like last week I think CCM will score.

Fair comments.

Although I'd say the keeping was only suspect on the 2nd goal (Mate's), and William's goal in the corner far post and our classic counterattack that Marino finished couldn't be blamed on the keeper.

I agree that the absence of Mooy will be a good test of the creativity of the rest of the squad. However, our 1st goal last week happened without Mooy. And whilst Mooy did win the ball back for the 2nd goal, it was Paartalu and Dugandzic's attacking skill that made the goal. So this Sunday I think our wingers could be important, and either Duff could build on his 2 assists or Dugandzic could build on his 1st assist done in last week's match. Also, I reckon a midfield of Miller, Paartalu and Melling can work well attacking-wise against this CCM side. 

Also, as mentioned above, I think if City have the majority of possession (as expected), then the team will get numerous corners and free-kicks in good positions, and I believe City would be good value to at least get a goal from a set piece, like how Melbourne City got a set piece goal past CCM in pre-season.

Central Coast have only scored 2 goals over their 4 A-League matches, making them the lowest scoring team in the A-League. So I'm not overly concerned by their attack, and think out of every team in the league the CCM attack is the attack we should be least worried about. Nonetheless I agree that when it comes to our defence you never know, and we can concede a goal out of nothing or very little. But because of CCM's feeble attack, this is the game that City are most likely to keep a clean sheet in.

Make no mistake, I'm not expecting an 'easy' match. But I think too many factors favour a Melbourne City win, and think we are good value to at least score 1 more goal than the Mariners.

MELBOURNE CITY EAGER TO SECURE FIRST HOME WIN

15 NOV 2014

Melbourne City boss John van't Schip has urged his side not to forget the winning feeling as it aims for a first home win of the season against Central Coast Mariners on Sunday.

With a first success as a rebadged club coming in Brisbane last weekend, Van't Schip's side has a platform to build on.

Despite player unavailability and a torrid record against the Mariners, the coach turned doctor as he prescribed a course of action that had so far eluded City.

"The best medicine is always to win," he said.

"Getting a habit in winning is the best thing you can have."

Pre-season talk of City challenging for the A-League title has so far proved premature, staggering to one win in its opening five games.

It is clear Van't Schip's side needs to learn to walk before it can run.

But there is no better time to start moving than this weekend.

The Mariners have gone pointless since an opening-round defeat of Newcastle, which might suggest it is ideal fodder for City.

However, Van't Schip knows City's record against the Central Coast is far from strong.

In its previous guise, Heart won just one of 12 matches against Sunday's opponents.

"Central Coast are a tough opponent, in a difficult moment as well," Van't Schip said.

"They always bounce back.

"We always have tough games against them because their way of playing is dropping back ... they're very organised and that's what we have to break open."

Helping City's cause is the Mariners' demanding schedule.

On Wednesday, Phil Moss' side suffered defeat in its FFA Cup semi-final in Adelaide, while next Wednesday it faces Western Sydney Wanderers.

Central Coast has lost defender Storm Roux to international duty, but it is a long way from Melbourne City's unavailability woes.

It has an entire midfield missing with Massimo Murdocca, Jonaton Germano, Robert Koren (injured), Aaron Mooy and Stefan Mauk (international duty) all absent.

That is the reason Van't Schip signed recently released Brisbane midfielder Liam Miller on a one-week deal for the match.

Van't Schip said Miller was likely to play in an advanced midfield position, and would entertain the possibility of extending Miller's stay.

"If there's possibilities to go on further ... that's something for after Sunday."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/11/15/melbourne-city-eager-secure-first-home-win

Full video of the JVS presser here: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/john-van-t-schip-speaks-to-the-media-ahead-of-the-round-6-clash-against-the-central-coast-mariners/1045797

Edited by Murfy1

[...]

Fair comments.

Although I'd say the keeping was only suspect on the 2nd goal (Mate's), and William's goal in the corner far post and our classic counterattack that Marino finished couldn't be blamed on the keeper.

I agree that the absence of Mooy will be a good test of the creativity of the rest of the squad. However, our 1st goal last week happened without Mooy. And whilst Mooy did win the ball back for the 2nd goal, it was Paartalu and Dugandzic's attacking skill that made the goal. So this Sunday I think our wingers could be important, and either Duff could build on his 2 assists or Dugandzic could build on his 1st assist done in last week's match. Also, I reckon a midfield of Miller, Paartalu and Melling can work well attacking-wise against this CCM side. 

Also, as mentioned above, I think if City have the majority of possession (as expected), then the team will get numerous corners and free-kicks in good positions, and I believe City would be good value to at least get a goal from a set piece, like how Melbourne City got a set piece goal past CCM in pre-season.

Central Coast have only scored 2 goals over their 4 A-League matches, making them the lowest scoring team in the A-League. So I'm not overly concerned by their attack, and think out of every team in the league the CCM attack is the attack we should be least worried about. Nonetheless I agree that when it comes to our defence you never know, and we can concede a goal out of nothing or very little. But because of CCM's feeble attack, this is the game that City are most likely to keep a clean sheet in.

Make no mistake, I'm not expecting an 'easy' match. But I think too many factors favour a Melbourne City win, and think we are good value to at least score 1 more goal than the Mariners.

CCM have struggled so far this season because they've faced good teams for the 3 losses they've had. So it's hard to know how feeble their attack really is when playing a lesser team.

Even at this early stage of the season this is a crunch match for us. The top four are skipping away from the rest, and we need a win to at least keep more or less in touch.

I've given up making predictions, but IMO today's result will tell us whether we can be contenders, or whether we are just pretenders.

• Like 1

I told you all last that we were going to beat Brisbane, so you should listen to me now. We are going to dominate the game, have all the possession and shots but struggle to score. We are going to score early in the first half and then concede a goal on the counter attack very late on in the game

Subconsciously I'm thinking the same, but I am hopeful we will win this by two plus or plus goals.

Melbourne area

Cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of rain this morning. Medium (50%) chance of showers this afternoon but becoming dry later in the day. Winds south to southwesterly 25 to 35 km/h turning west to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h in the evening.

• Like 1

We are going to dominate the game, have all the possession and shots but struggle to score. We are going to score early in the first half and then concede a goal on the counter attack very late on in the game

You have basically described our last 4+ years.

Nothing new here ;)

Edited by Jestr

We will score within the first 5 minutes (headed in from a Duff corner), CCM will eventually be forced to attempt to attack, something they are ill suited to.  This will lead us to score 2 on the break, being goals to Williams and the Sheep (who will get his late, having come on as a sub).  Having read this forum, sheep will slot the goal, run to the corner, drop on all fours and Melling will pretend to shear him.

3-0

• Like 2