Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

CFG spoke with JVS' management in December last year, when the team had played 9 games and had only 2 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses. And I'm sure they would have asked some tough questions.

Melbourne City then won the Melbourne Derby, and there was improvement for the remainder of the season.

I'm sure CFG will likewise communicate with JVS very soon if things don't improve, and improve quickly. 

and there was improvement for the remainder of the season.

Not true. As i recall results picked up immediately when they were here. But as soon as the heat was off we went back to being terrible at the tail end of the season. Same thing happened when he took over after JA was sacked. As soon as he got his contract results went to shit.

He has had plenty of chances. Just get rid of him

*edit- or just put him on a game by game contract and we will go undefeated for the entire season 

Edited by KSK_47

He has had enough second chances in my opinion. 

Yeah, that's the thing: he periodically gets these 'on notice weeks' then he grinds out a result and it's like he's got a clean slate. For those wondering how he's still here, there you go. It should be like in our jobs, the equivalent of a written warning.

In his current tenure at the club, his first would probably have come after the Adelaide loss in week 4 last season (giving us two points and -4 GD) and his second should have come at the end of the H&A season (with an outside chance of earning a home final and a chance at ACL, we closed the season out with D/D/L/L and -5 GD). In that instance, I'd suggest that he was saved by the very Australian notion that finishing in the top six of a ten team comp with a negative W/L ratio is something to be applauded. 

At the very least, his second warning (and dismissal) should have been delivered last night. We shall see. I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, that's the thing: he periodically gets these 'on notice weeks' then he grinds out a result and it's like he's got a clean slate. For those wondering how he's still here, there you go. It should be like in our jobs, the equivalent of a written warning.

In his current tenure at the club, his first would probably have come after the Adelaide loss in week 4 last season (giving us two points and -4 GD) and his second should have come at the end of the H&A season (with an outside chance of earning a home final and a chance at ACL, we closed the season out with D/D/L/L and -5 GD). In that instance, I'd suggest that he was saved by the very Australian notion that finishing in the top six of a ten team comp with a negative W/L ratio is something to be applauded. 

At the very least, his second warning (and dismissal) should have been delivered last night. We shall see. I'm not holding my breath.

You are pretty easy going on the warnings.

Honestly can't believe he has lasted this long from when I started this thread.

The only plus is that his "dominate but look unlucky when the other team scores because we can't convert our chances" style combined with the good players in our squad leads to the bookies constantly making us favourite to win games that we won't, allowing for easy money to be made betting against us :up: 

• Like 1

JVS: Had the Best Offseason Recruiting in the League , Has the Best Training Facilities in the League and is easily the Most Generous Owners in the League behind him and yet an full blown retard now in JA is coaching a side that is an outright five points clear of City.

And its worse than that as JA was unable to do much noteworthy Offseason Recruiting prior to the Season as he is with a  Club in Financial Trouble... to the extent that he hires his own brother to be his assistant.

Seriously I have come to the conclusion that us MHFC/MCFC Supporters are in the Australian Soccer Landscape what Jobe was to the Old Testament.

• Like 2

JVS: Had the Best Offseason Recruiting in the League , Has the Best Training Facilities in the League and is easily the Most Generous Owners in the League behind him and yet an full blown retard now in JA is coaching a side that is an outright five points clear of City.

And its worse than that as JA was unable to do much noteworthy Offseason Recruiting prior to the Season as he is with a  Club in Financial Trouble... to the extent that he hires his own brother to be his assistant.

Seriously I have come to the conclusion that us MHFC/MCFC Supporters are in the Australian Soccer Landscape what Jobe was to the Old Testament.

Agree except do you really think that Bambi is the major coaching influence at Roar? Even his mates at Fox always mention Ross every time they talk about John

Honestly can't believe he has lasted this long from when I started this thread.

The only plus is that his "dominate but look unlucky when the other team scores because we can't convert our chances" style combined with the good players in our squad leads to the bookies constantly making us favourite to win games that we won't, allowing for easy money to be made betting against us :up: 

He's a cluey fuk... He recruits injury prone players knowing full well that he can always have the 'too many players out injured' excuse as a reason why we lose games.

There's always an excuse for this guy. We just need to start with someone new who won't take any excuses for shit.

• Like 1

He's a cluey fuk... He recruits injury prone players knowing full well that he can always have the 'too many players out injured' excuse as a reason why we lose games.

There's always an excuse for this guy. We just need to start with someone new who won't take any excuses for shit.

Wow, was exactly thinking this today :up:

• Like 1

I've thought that for a while but never really believed it could be true. I mean imagine actually sobotaging your own chances of keeping your job... :droy: 

Edited by n i k o

More interesting, and dare I say more relevant, would be his win ratio since CFG took over. 

Having said that, I don't want to come off as an apologist. The second half of the game on Friday is so abhorrently unacceptable that I believe he should've been sacked effective immediately.

I still think CFG will have looked prior to the take over. Perhaps they gave him a new contract and last season as a bit of a stability move and to give him a chance whilst they set up the club behind the scenes. Although its well known they approached Gombau before offering the gig back to JVS so from the start they were never 100% behind him. Murphy also said that CFG spoke to JVS' management last season when he wad that shite start and then suddenly there was a turn around, again showing they arnt 100% behind him. Then there was someone on here that said Kisnorbo and Williams refused to follow instructions during the game, if thats true, thats damning. He probably has lost the dressing room and maybe thats why he has been playing the kids recently, because you would imagine they would be more obedient and are just happy to have the chance to start

• Like 1

More interesting, and dare I say more relevant, would be his win ratio since CFG took over. 

Going off Wikipedia- last season we played 27 games and won 9, so that 33%. Overall since he took over for Aloisi its 35.7%. In Mexico it was 36.8%

Pretty dificult to make a case that Heart were holding him back

*Edit- Jesus Christ! Its only now occurred to me just how consistently terrible his numbers are. Truly awful!

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

If he was given the KPIs of making finals and reaching semis of the cup then unless we have a few more disastrous results I doubt he'll get sacked anytime soon. 

Well if thats the case I am sure CFG will have a fun time trying all sorts of gimmicks to get people to sign up. Luckily thats Munn's specialty 

I'm not endeavouring to deflect any of the adverse criticism being directed at JvS, but I agree with the comments of Bosnich and Horvat (as documented elsewhere) that in terms of specific matches - for example Newcastle last Friday - various players must also be held to account. In my post-match comments I went so far as to name two - which I try very hard not to do - and it seems my opinions are reflected by Bosnich and Horvat.

We can hold JvS accountable for many things, but the guys actually wearing the club jerseys have to show one hell of a lot more guts, determination and will to win than we've seen so far this season.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. I think you have to look at the bigger picture.

If the problem of individual players not showing guts, etc is consistently happening with every team he is in charge of, then that suggests that he is the root of the problem. He constantly says he wants to build a winning mentality and that he wants to bring in experienced, winning players to create that culture yet it always inevitably goes back to the same outcome. The winning mentality has to come from the alpha of the pack which is him. If every team he coaches has the same "non-winning" mentality, even after a high turn over in personnel then he needs to take the blame

• Like 5