Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

That's a fucking joke. This club only didn't go under because CFG bailed out Sidwell and co. after the club's disastrous 4th season. Also the club didn't achieve the membership target that Scott Munn set in season 1, 7500 members, until last season after CFG remade the club.

Munn is the biggest pretender in Australian football.

I don't think I've ever seen you swear before...you must really dislike Munn as our CEO!

• Like 3

That's a fucking joke. This club only didn't go under because CFG bailed out Sidwell and co. after the club's disastrous 4th season. Also the club didn't achieve the membership target that Scott Munn set in season 1, 7500 members, until last season after CFG remade the club.

Munn is the biggest pretender in Australian football.

Munn literally worked with a shoe string budget. From what I understand the previous owners were obligated to invest a certain amount each season because of an agreement with the FFA, I doubt they would have even put that money in if they weren't obligated. Honestly who knows if Heart would have even existed long enough for CFG to buy it out if someone else was in charge. Every other privately owned expansion club failed, the Wanderers with FFA and Federal Government backing are the only other success. Still Heart never found itself in the position we see Newcastle and Brisbane in currently, despite being a new club in the most saturated market (what did Victory have, like 25k members?) 

if you remember the 2nd or 3rd season where there was the target of breaking even (which I assume came from the board), achieving that alone was huge.

Do you realise how much money established clubs are losing each season? This league is run on the hope that the FFA can keep investors willing to keep sinking their money into a bottomless pit of losses until a TV deal comes along that will at least let clubs break even. Why do you think investors are walking out of every club. Make no mistake, just keeping Melbourne Heart afloat is an achievement with the stingy owners we had (well not really stingy, can't blame them for not wanting to lose their money). But to come into a market where there is a team with 25k or whatever members and make a go of it requires significant investment and the Heart owners were never willing to do it, so it was never going to work out.

I don't know what more could have been done with the resources available. As soon as more resources became available, after CFG took over, the club has made huge strides off the field. Whereas on the field nothing has changed despite the increased resources. 

I'm not saying there aren't any legitimate criticisms of Munn, like being too ambitious with the membership targets (we are not hitting 14,000 this year, we were never hitting 7,500 first season), but I don't mind a bit of ambition. And if it's his his call on getting rid of JVS (I dont think it is TBH, CFG would probably be involved in that decision), then I obviously think it's a mistake that JVS is still around. But overall Munn seems to have done the best with the resources at his disposal. Eg with no resources during the Heart days he kept the club going and even broke even one season. With the increased resources since CFG took over memberships, attendances, and the club's stature have grown immensely, despite the results on the field being crap. The same certainly can't be said for JVS, same shit no matter how much we spend on players or on training facilities etc.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

Munn literally worked with a shoe string budget. From what I understand the previous owners were obligated to invest a certain amount each season because of an agreement with the FFA, I doubt they would have even put that money in if they weren't obligated. Honestly who knows if Heart would have even existed long enough for CFG to buy it out if someone else was in charge. Every other privately owned expansion club failed, the Wanderers with FFA and Federal Government backing are the only other success. Still Heart never found itself in the position we see Newcastle and Brisbane in currently, despite being a new club in the most saturated market (what did Victory have, like 25k members?) 

if you remember the 2nd or 3rd season where there was the target of breaking even (which I assume came from the board), achieving that alone was huge.

Do you realise how much money established clubs are losing each season? This league is run on the hope that the FFA can keep investors willing to keep sinking their money into a bottomless pit of losses until a TV deal comes along that will at least let clubs break even. Why do you think investors are walking out of every club. Make no mistake, just keeping Melbourne Heart afloat is an achievement with the stingy owners we had (well not really stingy, can't blame them for not wanting to lose their money). But to come into a market where there is a team with 25k or whatever members and make a go of it requires significant investment and the Heart owners were never willing to do it, so it was never going to work out.

I don't know what more could have been done with the resources available. As soon as more resources became available, after CFG took over, the club has made huge strides off the field. Whereas on the field nothing has changed despite the increased resources. 

I'm not saying there aren't any legitimate criticisms of Munn, like being too ambitious with the membership targets (we are not hitting 14,000 this year, we were never hitting 7,500 first season), but I don't mind a bit of ambition. And if it's his his call on getting rid of JVS (I dont think it is TBH, CFG would probably be involved in that decision), then I obviously think it's a mistake that JVS is still around. But overall Munn seems to have done the best with the resources at his disposal. Eg with no resources during the Heart days he kept the club going and even broke even one season. With the increased resources since CFG took over memberships, attendances, and the club's stature have grown immensely, despite the results on the field being crap. The same certainly can't be said for JVS, same shit no matter how much we spend on players or on training facilities etc.

Are you in fact Scott Munn? 

I am too tired to read through everything but I have to agree with Murf. I was on the fence for a while with Munn but I think he needs to go too. The only thing making him look as though he should keep his job is that a) we got a boost in membership numbers because of Villa and B) he doesn't run his gob on social media anymore so people forget he exists and direct their frustration elsewhere. 

Munn seems to be doing a good job atm, lets not forget the fact that JVS took us to a semi-final last year.. before we start deciding if we want him sacked, lets see how the full squad performs together in the league.. its okay to criticize, but did you see the team we put out yesterday? And how far are we into pre-season 3-4 weeks right? Wait for the season, he's assembled our best ever squad, and once the season starts, we can make our judgements then.

Munn seems to be doing a good job atm, lets not forget the fact that JVS took us to a semi-final last year.. before we start deciding if we want him sacked, lets see how the full squad performs together in the league.. its okay to criticize, but did you see the team we put out yesterday? And how far are we into pre-season 3-4 weeks right? Wait for the season, he's assembled our best ever squad, and once the season starts, we can make our judgements then.

The other team won 6:0. We are just a joke and I'm sick of excuses of why we played so terrible. 

we got a boost in membership numbers because of Villa

Dunno, membership numbers seem to be tracking pretty similar to last season.

The jump in membership numbers between the Heart and City days is nothing to be sneezed at, and a good example of the difference that having more resources at their disposal has allowed the club to achieve off the field.

Once JVS goes and the squad actually start performing to it's potential it will only help memberships/attendances.

the fact that we have had 2 coaches in our joke of an existence, says everything for size of the plums located between the CEO's legs.

Simply too scared to move away from what he knows. Probably should have had at least 3 total football department reviews and mass sackings. Not us, we cuddle the failures.

And that breeds mediocrity in any organisation.

Once JVS goes and the squad actually start performing to it's potential it will only help memberships/attendances.

I would say its a bit of both. Having more at the clubs disposal has contributed, but I believe Villa got a lot more people over the line than we would have had otherwise. But yes, I do agree that on field is the only place that will significantly make a difference. 

Don't think we can blame Munn directly for the performance of the Football Department, but IMO he is accountable for the communication gaffes such as the mishandling of the David Villa affair and the recent visit of Manchester City, the attrition of membership benefits, the increase in membership prices and the non-recognition of Foundation Members etc. etc., and other things such as arranging the open training session/visit to CFA Melbourne when most people couldn't attend. He is, after all, the Chief Executive Officer and therefore the conduit between the Board and the rest of the staff, and he should be able to see where things are going wrong and where they can be improved and making suggestions accordingly.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

the fact that we have had 2 coaches in our joke of an existence, says everything for size of the plums located between the CEO's legs.

Simply too scared to move away from what he knows. Probably should have had at least 3 total football department reviews and mass sackings. Not us, we cuddle the failures.

And that breeds mediocrity in any organisation.

The problem I have with this statement is that we don't know the responsibilities of Munn vs the Board. Given that the senior coach is critical for the operations of the club I have grave doubts that Munn (or any CEO) would make the decision on their own. The CEO may make a recommendation to the board but the board is not obliged to follow it. Don't forget that Sidwell has been around sports all his life so when JA got the gig there were stories in the MSM that Sidwell wanted face recognition, something that Ante Milicec did not have; and when it cam time to remove JA, it was Sidwell that fronted the media and claimed part responsibility. Then when CFG became owners, they conducted the search for the new coach. So I don't quite understand why Munn is being held responsible for a decision made directly by CFG. This coming season we only have Williams, Velaphi, Kisnorbo, Retre, and Garruccio from the Heart days with the latter two being on the periphery. So in the course of two seasons the club has turned over almost all of their playing staff. The other coaching staff came in last season and this season we have a new physio team. The other decision that may have been made by CFG is the hiring of Koren as the International Marquee.

Hence this season I expect a lot more from JVS and the team. And by season's end what ever the results are they are solely the responsibility of JVS.

Yeah, here we go.. its only FFA Cup, it means nothing, its just for the minnows, and getting good players injured before the season.. if we fail in the proper season okay, but otherwise he's been a success!

Our form has always been shit in pre season. Even before the FFA cup we had only ever won one pre season game against a-league competition (WSW in penalties I believe) so we can all lie to ourselves and say 'its only the pre-season dw about it' but for the most part of our history of shit pre-season form shows us what we are going to encounter in the real season.

Yeah, here we go.. its only FFA Cup, it means nothing, its just for the minnows, and getting good players injured before the season.. if we fail in the proper season okay, but otherwise he's been a success!

I don't know where you have been for the past 5 seasons but we have failed In all of them. And they all started with some cunt telling everyone not to worry because Its only pre season.

I believe that cunt last pre season was jvs

Our form has always been shit in pre season. Even before the FFA cup we had only ever won one pre season game against a-league competition (WSW in penalties I believe) so we can all lie to ourselves and say 'its only the pre-season dw about it' but for the most part of our history of shit pre-season form shows us what we are going to encounter in the real season.

Our form has been shit not only pre season, but also regular season. 

Just preparing myself for another season of misery. 

Perth Glory at AAMI last preseason. 2-1 I believe it was. 

This one's gone a bit quiet

time to bump it up 

What else is there to say that hasnt been said? The moment of truth is finally here. All excuses are invalid and there is nowhere to hide anymore. As I said in another thread, if he cant win the league (or come very close) this season, the he is absolute and complete garbage.

Very much looking forward to this season. Its either JVS delivers the exciting winning football we have been waiting for or he can fuck off

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else get the feeling this guy doesn't have a clue?

Was watching The World Game the other day...it was revealing to hear most of the other coaches (especially Muscat) talk bullishly about high standards, constant improvement, tactical styles and systems. JvS? "We will try to play a possession game, with a high line...though it might not work against every team!"

It's almost as though he knows he's not good enough...he is constantly trying to temper expectations despite having a squad of numerous internationals and promising players. I find his attitude really worrying, and it is really denting my optimism for the season.

Why can't we be challenging with the squad we have? A few players have come out saying they believe they can win the title, but there is nothing of the sort from the manager. Clint Bolton, when asked recently if JvS was the man for the job, bluntly stated that he wasn't sure and his results hadn't been good enough.

I hope this isn't true, but my gut tells me the best thing to come out of this season is the sacking of this guy after we sit around 7th in February. I don't want to put up with another season with a handful of wins interspersed by horrendous performances in Wellington and Adelaide, and 3-0 maulings at the Etihad.

• Like 1

I'm no JVS fan but I think you're taking that comment the wrong way tbh.

That more says to me that he's aware that the high line and possession game will need to be tapered and adjusted based on certain opposition and that we can't just try to implement the same approach against every side we face, which is very practical really.

I think we can DEFINITELY challenge with the squad we have, anything less than a sustained challenge and (in my opinion anyway) a top 3 finish is a failure and should lead to the removal of JVS as manager.