Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

David Davutovic was on SEN earlier today and he explained that his latest information was the CFG are asking serious questions about the club and coaching staff JVS in particular they have also stressed their concern over the injuries to players and there not happy with the progress or lack there of from the playing group.

David seems to think that given our poor result in the 1st Darby, this next one will be extremely important for the Melbourne City football department. Reading between the lines JVS will get the chop if we lose on the December 20th and boxing day. It would also leave massive question marks of personal within the playing group, I have always said that all those missed chances will have consequences...

He did also mention the Chapman, Gurcio, Melling, and Brown were massive positives to come out from yesterdays win...

In all honesty I think JVS will need to do something amazing to keep his job. a loss against Victory and then Glory and his gone... and he only has himself to blame.. (recruiting, metal preparation and coaching staff are all his responsibility and he should have recruited the best available in terms of coaching staff, sports scientist, physio, defenders and strikers.) you fucked it buddy!!!!!

Metal preparation sounds fucking sick. Not sure what is has to do with helping on field performance.

• Like 2

John Ironmonger. This club lacks beards, no wonder we're so spineless out on the pitch.

With assistant manager Dr. Brian Ironwood. Mark Zanotti as Keeper Coach.

Definitely. Richard Osborne could be youth team coach/motivational speaker. He'd sort them out.

And one season with the NYL squad will be more than enough experience for us to promote him to Senior Coach the next Season when JVS leaves for more of those family reasons back in his native Mexico.

• Like 1

John Ironmonger. This club lacks beards, no wonder we're so spineless out on the pitch.

With assistant manager Dr. Brian Ironwood. Mark Zanotti as Keeper Coach.

Definitely. Richard Osborne could be youth team coach/motivational speaker. He'd sort them out.

And one season with the NYL squad will be more than enough experience for us to promote him to Senior Coach the next Season when JVS leaves for more of those family reasons back in his native Mexico.

Don't be ridiculous! He never kicked any world cup qualifying penalties!

If we can get a Tony Popvich-esq coach or someone well qualified if we were to sack him right now i'll pack JVS's bags and drive him to the airport. 

Fact is it ain't happening, and we can either be average with JVS as coach or be average with a stand-in coach for the rest of the season, the coach as per usual is being hung out to dry when their are much bigger culprits for where the club is currently (looking at you, JD, Munn) I'm not saying that he has been perfect by any means, but why isn't more pressure being put on Munn for instance to step down? JVS cops the heat whilst everyone else hides from the press.

I just don't see any immediate benefit to sacking JVS right now. The only argument i've heard is that this new coach could come in and sort out the list for next season, but would a good coach really need half a season to see that Ramsey isn't a lb? The list is FUBAR and needs to re-evaluated at the end of the season rather then making rash signings mid-way through the season (Meeuwis, Coyne, ext). We have 38 pages of this thread yet where are all the supposed coaches listed that can come in and fix the club up?

And you know what? I back JVS if he can get Koren back in the new year to have to team firing on all cylinders. Name a price/bet haters, more then happy to negotiate something.

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

If we can get a Tony Popvich-esq coach or someone well qualified if we were to sack him right now i'll pack JVS's bags and drive him to the airport.

Fact is it ain't happening, and we can either be average with JVS as coach or be average with a stand-in coach for the rest of the season, the coach as per usual is being hung out to dry when their are much bigger culprits for where the club is currently (looking at you, JD, Munn) I'm not saying that he has been perfect by any means, but why isn't more pressure being put on Munn for instance to step down? JVS cops the heat whilst everyone else hides from the press.

I just don't see any immediate benefit to sacking JVS right now. The only argument i've heard is that this new coach could come in and sort out the list for next season, but would a good coach really need half a season to see that Ramsey isn't a lb? The list is FUBAR and needs to re-evaluated at the end of the season rather then making rash signings mid-way through the season (Meeuwis, Coyne, ext). We have 38 pages of this thread yet where are all the supposed coaches listed that can come in and fix the club up?

And you know what? I back JVS if he can get Koren back in the new year to have to team firing on all cylinders. Name a price/bet haters, more then happy to negotiate something.

Great post, and I agree on almost all of it. But just going to add a name here

Mike mulvey

Not quite a JVS sacking article but a reflection on a similar issue we have - poor recruiting. The $$$ received for Suarez have been frittered away on less than high quality talent. Alternatively, is Rogers up to the task of coaching a "big" club with "big" expectations? - can he get the best out of the available talent?  Maybe a mix of both.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/liverpool-shortcomings-laid-bare-by-champions-league-exit-20141210-124j27.html

"Liverpool shortcomings laid bare by Champions League exit"

Liverpool's Champions League exit was not down to a lack of heart, but manager Brendan Rodgers' claim that his side were not technically good enough to beat Swiss side FC Basel on Tuesday was a stark admission.

The scene was set for a memorable Anfield night with a win needed in their final Group B match to clamber into the last 16.

They could only manage a 1-1 draw though -- a scoreline that flattered a side who managed five points from six matches on their return to the Champions League after a five-year absence.

A well-drilled Basel were more savvy, more incisive and better organised than Liverpool, for whom only 34-year-old Steven Gerrard stepped up to the plate.

"In the first half we weren't good enough -- it's as simple as that," Rodgers said. "Technically, we were way short. This is a competition, in particular, where technically you've got to be much better than what we were in the first half.

"Our positioning wasn't good, the options for the guy on the ball weren't anywhere near what we would want and expect from a team that is based on a technical game."

At present, Liverpool are unrecognisable to the side that should have won last season's Premier League, and that is not just because Luis Suarez is now playing for Barcelona.

While the loss of Suarez's strike partner Daniel Sturridge to injury has been a blow, Liverpool have regressed in alarming fashion in a matter of months.

Worryingly, the reported 80 million euros Liverpool received for Suarez appears to have been frittered away on a collection of squad fillers -- a similar mistake to that made by Tottenham Hotspur when they sold Gareth Bale to Real Madrid.

Tellingly, some of Rodgers' summer signings were left on the bench for arguably the biggest game of the season on Tuesday.

Winger Lazar Markovic, signed from Benfica for around 20 million pounds ($31.36 million) in July did get on at halftime in place of fellow summer signing Rickie Lambert who looked woefully off the pace.

Markovic's main contribution was getting sent off.

Spain left back Alberto Moreno was also omitted from the starting line-up, eventually replacing Jose Enrique for the second half after his compatriot endured a miserable evening.

England midfielder Adam Lallana, signed for 25 million pounds from Southampton, did not even get on.

Liverpool, ninth in the Premier League, must now regroup and aim for a top-four place in the Premier League that, on current form, looks a long-shot.

With a Champions League place available for the winners of the Europa League, which Liverpool are now in, that could be their best hope of playing with the elite next season.

Not fucking Mulvey.

He must have been a fair cunt to get sacked so soon being the reigning premiership coach

And besides I've never seen anything overly special from him as a manager, having the likes of broich and Berisha in your side would make it difficult to be horrible.

Not fucking Mulvey.

He must have been a fair cunt to get sacked so soon being the reigning premiership coach

And besides I've never seen anything overly special from him as a manager, having the likes of broich and Berisha in your side would make it difficult to be horrible.

Don't forget that in between Ange leaving the Roar, Rado Vidosic became coach. So he took a top side including the same players that Ange had on a downward spiral. Then Mulvey came in and restored confidence and play to win the double last season. So your assertion that to make the Roar horrible a difficult proposition does not stack up on the evidence (and there is no need for speculation either).

I originally wanted Mulvey to replace JVS mark I but instead they chose JA. Today, I would not be upset about it but given that CFG has resources, scouts and money I wonder whether there may be a better coach available in Europe/Asia/Americas.

ROFL 

If JVS can get the side to finish no lower than fifth (This is a 50% pass mark) in the Current Season with Koren playing over 60% of the games in 2015 I will hand you $50.

If he does not you only have to hand me $20.

NOTE: As PPL around here know I pay my bets so make yourself know when you lose this wager.

FFS, now I just want him to be sacked ASAP so when a competent manager comes in all these "it's the list" people will be proven wrong.

Well it is partially the list that's at fault. What jvs is to blame for is why our defences woes weren't addressed during preseason when he was signing players to form that list.

Edited by n i k o

FFS, now I just want him to be sacked ASAP so when a competent manager comes in all these "it's the list" people will be proven wrong.

LOL - I doubt even if this occurs the JVS Defence League will turn on their man.

They are probably are all still backing Richard Nixon to get over this little Watergate problem he has ATM... but he will come good just wait and see. :up:

• Like 2

Mike mulvey

I see what you are saying, and whilst he got the team to a semi-final that year, it wasn't until the next season when he was able to put his own changes on the squad that they were able to win the league. But you can also look at Kenny Lowe for instance last season, he came in for Alistar Edwards and the team still finished 7th. Again, it wasn't until the offseason we're the club and coach sat down and worked out what they wanted, and now their flying. 

I know a lot of people on here would take a semi-final berth in a heartbeat, but we want to win the league, not just make finals and the best way to win the league shown in these examples is to wait until the offseason to make changes. Also, remember that Mulvey took over a good list  with many premiership winners which wasn't playing well (Broich,Berisha,Henrique) if we were to sack JVS now do people really believe that this new coach could take us to a semi-final berth with this list? Outside of Mooy, Duff and a couple of promising kids, our list comes nowhere close to what Mulvey had to work with.

ROFL 

If JVS can get the side to finish no lower than fifth (This is a 50% pass mark) in the Current Season with Koren playing over 60% of the games in 2015 I will hand you $50.

If he does not you only have to hand me $50.

NOTE: As PPL around here know I pay my bets so make yourself know when you lose this wager.

Changed one part of it to make it fair but you're on mate

I've just looked at the schedule and the last game we play is at Perth at 5:00pm on a Sunday. I'll more then happy to meet you down at the imp on that day and collect my winnings if that suits you :)

No one's saying its just the list yes signing players like David Williams does not do him any justice but don't forgot  a lot of signings from the JA era really handicapped what players he could and couldn't sign. He was also lead to believe he would have Villa for 10 games with a smooth transition over to the Kennedy era, but he was deceived by the CFG in this case. (JVS also resigned hoffman btw, a player you have commented on this forum regulary about how high you are on him)

If you look at every other coach in the toper echelon of the league at the moment, Muscut, Gombau, Arnold, Lowe all these coaches have drastically changed their lists in order to suit their style of play without any previous handicaps. The only person i can think of currently who has turned duds into stars is Tony Popovic and lets be realistic, how many Tony Popovic's are their around the world, willing to come to the a-league? As I've said previously, i'll drive JVS to the airport if you can find me Popovic 2.0

JVS also hasn't had one game with his marquee player, and we're getting Kennedy soon too. I understand that injuries are a part of the game and that the coach needs to work around them but these two players are pretty important cogs to the heart machine. Is he not at least warrented a chance with both of these two players in the squad? I believe our ceiling for this season is around the 4-5th range with these two players playing regularly.

All aspects of this club need to be throughly looked at, and while you could argue that the coach is part of the problem their are much bigger culprits who need to be weeded out in order for this club to be moved forward.

JVS is definitely not the man for the job here. That much is obvious. But I don't think Mike Mulvey is either. Sure he's a pretty decent coach, but we are the richest club in a salary-capped league. One of the few areas we can really use that money on is coaching staff. Since the takeover all CFG have talked about is ambition and taking Australian football to a new level. If they are really serious about this club they should go hard for a high-quality manager with a good reputation. Going for Mike Mulvey as anything other than a caretaker is just taking the soft option imo.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 2

Mike mulvey

I see what you are saying, and whilst he got the team to a semi-final that year, it wasn't until the next season when he was able to put his own changes on the squad that they were able to win the league. But you can also look at Kenny Lowe for instance last season, he came in for Alistar Edwards and the team still finished 7th. Again, it wasn't until the offseason we're the club and coach sat down and worked out what they wanted, and now their flying. 

I know a lot of people on here would take a semi-final berth in a heartbeat, but we want to win the league, not just make finals and the best way to win the league shown in these examples is to wait until the offseason to make changes. Also, remember that Mulvey took over a good list  with many premiership winners which wasn't playing well (Broich,Berisha,Henrique) if we were to sack JVS now do people really believe that this new coach could take us to a semi-final berth with this list? Outside of Mooy, Duff and a couple of promising kids, our list comes nowhere close to what Mulvey had to work with.

ROFL 

If he does not you only have to hand me $50.

Changed one part of it to make it fair but you're on mate

I've just looked at the schedule and the last game we play is at Perth at 5:00pm on a Sunday. I'll more then happy to meet you down at the imp on that day and collect my winnings if that suits you :)

The last game is actually against Adelaide... and I get back from my Honeymoon that day which I begin the day that we play Perf.

But I should be at the Imp to collect.

Well stuff it.  Hang away boys but I haven't given up on JVS just yet.

Pretty confident he has forgotten more about football than most of his critics on here have ever learnt.  Listening to him I learnt more in an hour than I had in the previous 10 years, despite coaching and watching games.

Ok we are not real flash now, but I think he can turn it around.  

Pretty confident he has forgotten more about football than most of his critics on here have ever learnt.  Listening to him I learnt more in an hour than I had in the previous 10 years, despite coaching and watching games.

And yet in another thread you're acknowledging all the off-field stuff-ups?

As I see it JVS is only responsible for the on field stuff ups.  Fair enough if you blame him for them, but not the off field ones.

As I see it JVS is only responsible for the on field stuff ups.  Fair enough if you blame him for them, but not the off field ones.

I find it hard to draw such a line myself. Personally I find all the senior management guilty, either by commission or omission, to some degree in at least some of what has taken place.