Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

It seems that after last week's draw the team just assumed the foetal position and are shaking uncontrollably. This is where a manager comes in and shakes them out of their stupor. I feel that some players already know that they are not good enough for the A-League - Ramsay, Wieleart and Kirsnorbo - and they play accordingly.

It is up to JVS now to get them started again, and to come up with a better defensive plan.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/fear-to-blame-for-citys-struggles-jvs/16hc0xplqnt41ikrpzdiimgsd

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/heart-coach-says-team-playing-with-fear-20111016-1lrk5.html

Two basically 'identical' quotes from JVS, 3 years apart. The players are "playing with fear."

Just too angry and disappointed to make a coherent comment but when JVS says this he is deflecting blame to the players. Well playing with fear gets down to organisation and tactics that you practice during the the week so that players know exactly what they need to execute - without fear. It ain't happening now and it hasn't happened well enough under previous stints with JVS or JA.

JvS quoted as follows:

"As for the time scale of City's potential improvement, Van 't Schip knows the clock is ticking as far as supporters and his employers are concerned.

"We cannot wait forever," he said.

"In the end it has to change quickly. Or it will have consequences for the club. We have to step up.

"We have to stick to what we know and believe because that's the only way. Otherwise, if we start changing and doing things I don't believe in, then I don't think I'm in the right position. I'll continue doing what I think we should do and I believe in."

He's clearly aware of the pressures on him, but stubborn to the last is not prepared to change his approach. Last night there were a number of supporters behind the City bench giving him plenty. I think it's just a matter of how long CFG is prepared to allow Melbourne City to taint its world-wide brand.

The defending is the same as it was under season 1 under him.  Mistakes, too slow to get the ball forward, endless back passing all the way to the keeper.  All the same pattern.

The only changes to our defending over 4.3 seasons have been:

replacing 2 competent full backs with Ramsay and Hoffman, and

signing 2 inadequate goalkeepers, and

Aloisi's instructions to play aimless long balls to a midget

The defending is the same as it was under season 1 under him.  Mistakes, too slow to get the ball forward, endless back passing all the way to the keeper.  All the same pattern.

You could say the same about JVS when we had Terra lead the line. Actually he did that with Babalj as well, even though Babalj couldn't head a ball to save his life even if he was tall.

I have no doubt Aloisi learned off JVS.

You could say the same about JVS when we had Terra lead the line. Actually he did that with Babalj as well, even though Babalj couldn't head a ball to save his life even if he was tall.

We've never had the players to unlock a defence

Yeah, but even with those two fullbacks and a decent keeper, those mistakes were still made. In the first few seasons, those mistakes were almost a heart trademark.

Now does that point to the players being at fault, or JvS having no idea when it comes to sorting out a defence?

Same goes for our attack, we seem to, at the best of times, manage to slowly carry the ball towards the box, but when a cross or short run is needed, there is nothing on offer. Instead we carry the ball as close to the goal line as possible, and then offer up a shit, slowly lobbed chip cross into stagnant players, which either results in easy defending, or an attempt on goal with no power.

That isn't natural attacking play, you can even look at a junior team play, and see that they will whip the ball in early to a striker who has the brains to lose his marker whilst running into the box. I honestly believe that the squad doesn't want to play the way they are, and instead have been told to hold it up in such positions.

Time for a new direction, jvs should be shown the door, we've been trying to play pretty football for too long with no end product. Recruitment has been horrible since season one, I've always said targeting mid 30s visa players and mid 30s players in general is not the answer, it's been proven in the a league that it doesn't work unless the player is head and shoulders better than everyone else eg. Zwanzvijk (or however you spell it).

Successfull clubs have targeted players in there mid to late 20s as visa players, think broich, berisha, Flores, poljak, la Rocca, Henrique, we've been recruiting 30 year olds and crying when the get injured and it's been happening since season 1, it's happened with sibon, aloisi, skoko, kewell, Fred and now koren.

• Like 1

The defending is the same as it was under season 1 under him. Mistakes, too slow to get the ball forward, endless back passing all the way to the keeper. All the same pattern.

We've never had the players to unlock a defenceThis. Some teams make it look so easy as they interchange passes, play a killer pass or have player with good feet to beat his defender to get in behind. We just never do that unless a team plays a really high line i.e Brisbane.

time to get to back to basics I say with a 4-4-2 formation rather then his standard negative 4-2-3-1 bullshit. If you had a talented squad that is a formation that will work but with the current squad I don't think so. Some of players look lost on the pitch and there is only one person you can blame for that and that's the coach!!!  

I am willing to make a $500 wager with one of the "it's not the coach" crew, the exact details can be worked out with any party that wishes to take me on, but obviously it will involve the team's results improving once JVS is gone for me to win. Let me know if you want to put your money where your mouth is, and we'll see if we can work something out.

nah, the Brisbane owners, and the vast majority of club owners all over the world who put millions of their $$$ into the team they own are all wrong in sacking coaches after a few months of below expectation performance, and the "it's not the coach" crew on this forum is correct.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I wish Zamparini bought Melbourne Heart instead of CFG. We would have sacked, rehired, and sacked JVS again and now be looking for our 5th manager of the season, while being top of the league with Mooy set for a $50m move to PSG in January.

Zamparini in.

Edited by Tesla

Wait until he gets Koren back and you can judge him properly then.

A lot of these 'sack the coach' comments are unfair

Oh yeah thats right. I forgot about the one player savior theory. 

2 players if you count Germano. Both of those players would walk into Perth glory's starting 11. We're basically missing the heart of the team

2 players if you count Germano. Both of those players would walk into Perth glory's starting 11. We're basically missing the heart of the team

Injuries are part of football, having your first 11 all available at the same time is rare.

First Hird and now JVS... :droy:

If he not allowed to be judged unless Germano is in the team then we really will be waiting until 2044 as the bloke only plays four games a season.

The following image illustrates how the position of manager should be treated if you want to be successful:

rWfYoDb.jpg

Actually the following list shows how the position of manager should be treated if you want to be successful.

Alex Ferguson 23px-Flag_of_Scotland.svg.png Scotland 6 November 1986 19 May 2013 1,500 895 338 267 2,769 1,365 59.67 13 Premier League titles

FA Cups

League Cups

10 Community Shields (inc. 1 shared)[nb 6]

UEFA Champions Leagues

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup

UEFA Super Cup

Intercontinental Cup

FIFA Club World Cup [28]