Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

PPL say that sacking the coach wont fix the problem...

But the reality is that it is a undeniable fact that throughout the history of Modern Football the most proven method of changing the fortunes of poor performing football side has been the sacking of a Manager.

He has coached a solid two and half Seasons of A-League Football now and he has not even won a third of his games... yet we are meant to pretend that this guy is going turn into a Grand Final winner? or even a Final Winner?

Actually the evidence is opposite. Replacing players makes a difference, replacing a coach mid season makes little difference over the course of the season.
Would like to see this evidence as the anecdotal evidence I've witnessed aligns with what cadete said.

There's a whole chapter on it in Soccernomics. 

Fair enough lets do it your way then and not judge JVS until he has a completely new list which won't be until Cult Hero Hoffman has finally left the club in eight years time because it would be unfair to do otherwise... :rolleyes:

FWIW I have read "Soccernomics" and number of these other books like "Why England Lose" etc, however one thing I am sure there very little data on to looked at to be assessed for one of these books is how many coaches become Title Winning coaches after winning less than 30% of their games in 2 and half bloody seasons???

Edited by cadete

I don't blame jvs for the first goal but the last one the closing down was pathetic, because they haven't been coached to do so.

Oh please. It is basic fucking defending to be able to hold on to a lead with only injury time minutes remaining. It is basic defending that non-professional footballers know: keep your shape, stay compact and put enough pressure on opponents and the ball so they can't fashion any real shooting opportunities. 

Professional footballers don't (or shouldn't) have to be coached how to defend with only a few minutes remaining. And if professional footballers need to be micro-managed in such an elementary area of the game, then you have a real problem with those so-called 'professional football players'.

Except we've seen this scenario in JVS-coached Melbourne teams. time and time again.

You would think by now JVS has practiced this scenario with the players at training, so that there is set plan for them to follow, and he himself has in mind the right substitutions to close a game down.  Not Retre for example.

Graham Arnold has said he coaches his teams to play the first half for 50 minutes and the game itself for 95 minutes.  There are many examples where teams score just before half time and in the 85+ minutes.  Why?  Because some teams switch off mentally and let it happen.

On the other side, its rare for us to score in those times.  Alex Ferguson's teams had a habit of doing it in "Fergie time".

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

It kills me to look at Adel at the moment. Last season a lot of downs and up's but the players believed in him and his tactics, Now they look very good, and we have gone with a manager who has not exactly set the world on fire.

It says a lot that Yokohma (who CFG have a 20% stake in) are reportedly after Gombau and his assistant, and not JVS.

I don't blame jvs for the first goal but the last one the closing down was pathetic, because they haven't been coached to do so.

Oh please. It is basic fucking defending to be able to hold on to a lead with only injury time minutes remaining. It is basic defending that non-professional footballers know: keep your shape, stay compact and put enough pressure on opponents and the ball so they can't fashion any real shooting opportunities. 

Professional footballers don't (or shouldn't) have to be coached how to defend with only a few minutes remaining. And if professional footballers need to be micro-managed in such an elementary area of the game, then you have a real problem with those so-called 'professional football players'.

Except we've seen this scenario in JVS-coached Melbourne teams. time and time again.

You would think by now JVS has practiced this scenario with the players at training, so that there is set plan for them to follow, and he himself has in mind the right substitutions to close a game down.  Not Retre for example.

Graham Arnold has said he coaches his teams to play the first half for 50 minutes and the game itself for 95 minutes.  There are many examples where teams score just before half time and in the 85+ minutes.  Why?  Because some teams switch off mentally and let it happen.

On the other side, its rare for us to score in those times.  Alex Ferguson's teams had a habit of doing it in "Fergie time".

Were not winners it's plain and simple. Most clubs have a winning culture in place that gives the playing list that belief. We still have the Heart mentality of being a little club punching above our weight after we take a lead or win a rare game. And that fault lies with JVS, Munn etc who should've fucked off long ago. Club needs to clear the shit before we can finally progress on the pitch.

• Like 1

Were not winners it's plain and simple. Most clubs have a winning culture in place that gives the playing list that belief. We still have the Heart mentality of being a little club punching above our weight after we take a lead or win a rare game. And that fault lies with JVS, Munn etc who should've fucked off long ago. Club needs to clear the shit before we can finally progress on the pitch.

Not sure how that bloke pretty much escapes criticism. I've yet to see/hear him do anything since I've followed the club that has given me any reason to think he's not a complete and utter muppet.

Not sure how that bloke pretty much escapes criticism. I've yet to see/hear him do anything since I've followed the club that has given me any reason to think he's not a complete and utter muppet.

Agree 100%, how Munn and the rest of the board have not been told to sod off by CFG is completely beyond me. Given City should be seen as a long-term project for them the only thing I can figure is that they are letting this season play out  to see where the weaknesses lie, and will (hopefully) clean out any rubbish they see holding the club back.

Given the whole project seems to be about positive 'brand exposure' I cannot see them letting poor results and management that will affect this continue on - and I think this applicable across the board, from the boardroom to the coach and playing group.

I thought that when CFG bought the club the old board retired and a new board put in place. Wikipedia seems to indicate that none of the Melbourne Heart Board members remain in place. And as disappointed as I am at the current lack of success, I think its a bit early to call for the board to be replaced.

Yep I agree, you can't just change people after 5 years in the job, you have to give them a chance to get into the role. 5 year extensions for everyone.

It kills me to look at Adel at the moment. Last season a lot of downs and up's but the players believed in him and his tactics, Now they look very good, and we have gone with a manager who has not exactly set the world on fire.

It says a lot that Yokohma (who CFG have a 20% stake in) are reportedly after Gombau and his assistant, and not JVS.

City group approached Gombau for Melbourne City - but he preferred to stay at Adelaide. Then we re-signed JVs to a massive 3 years.  

Though contracts mean nothing.

The game yesterday is all on the players out there. Why those players are there though, presumably is the responsibility of jvs.

Exactly my thoughts. Can't continue to pick Ramsay, Hoffman & Redmayne. JVS has to go.

In fairness to the back 5. In the last 2 matches I'm not sure you can put any blame on them for the 3 goals we've conceded. Possibly Robbie for giving the initial free kick away yesterday.

The game yesterday is all on the players out there. Why those players are there though, presumably is the responsibility of jvs.

Exactly my thoughts. Can't continue to pick Ramsay, Hoffman & Redmayne. JVS has to go.

Currently there's not too much choice regarding the right or left back positions, we have very slim pickings. Why we are in this position is the real question. Comes back to who is mostly responsible for the current playing crop? Could most likely assume JVS but no doubt he is not the only one responsible but the person who is finding him the players to choose from.

The problem is, if you replace players like Ramsay, Hoff, etc you will need to replace them with players that are of similar quality. There is a cap, so you cant have a team of superstars which is why the role of manager is of the utmost importance. What we need is a coach who is able to utilize players of this caliber to get the most out of them.

• Like 1

Currently there's not too much choice regarding the right or left back positions, we have very slim pickings. Why we are in this position is the real question. Comes back to who is mostly responsible for the current playing crop? Could most likely assume JVS but no doubt he is not the only one responsible but the person who is finding him the players to choose from.

This. Cannot understand for the life of me who's choice it was to go midfielder crazy over the off season when the squad was so unbalanced, particularly with the LB/RB situation (amongst several positions...).

Does anyone know who has/had the final say in our recruitment? If it is JvS then surely this has to be another massive mark against his name.

I'll expand on what I said. Why is retre given a 1 year contract? Why is it we have Ramsey and Garruccio, two players that aren't left backs, playing there. Why wasn't a better keeper found as a priority instead of utilising Redmayne, a keeper that has not shown he is capable. Williams who has been the most inconsistent performer, who seems to be held responsible to lead us in the goal charge until the 3rd of January and then some, while Kennedy gets fit. Players other teams wouldn't have in their starting eleven that we seem to have signed on and persisted with. I demand answers from the club who is responsible for this.

Edited by n i k o

+ just because you have subs doesn't mean you need to use them Brown is shit, retre is also poo. Why take duganzic off when he was clearly killing it down the wing.

because he was fukd and brown wasn't bad when he came on.

players panicked when they didnt need to. should have been 5-0.

Brown was fucking terrible. Whole dynamic changed when he came on

Surely JVS doesn't instruct 4 of his players to surround Cernak and watch the cunt do whatever he likes on the ball. Squad is filled with pea-hearted cunts.

This i saw clearly. eventuating in the pass to the middle and the strike. Our sponging of the pressure was immense during the game and our counter attack was super. There is a clear lack of faith, by the first team, in the players that are coming on from the bench.

• Like 1

+ just because you have subs doesn't mean you need to use them Brown is shit, retre is also poo. Why take duganzic off when he was clearly killing it down the wing.

because he was fukd and brown wasn't bad when he came on.

players panicked when they didnt need to. should have been 5-0.

Brown was fucking terrible. Whole dynamic changed when he came on

No, their first goal changed the dynamic. Up until then they were just playing in hope to get something. 

Surely JVS doesn't instruct 4 of his players to surround Cernak and watch the cunt do whatever he likes on the ball. Squad is filled with pea-hearted cunts.

West Sydney has a far worse squad. Look at their players before they played for West Sydney. The right manager can turn a shit cunt into a superstar.

TLDR any 'arguments' for sacking the coach on this page or the last. It looks like the same old stuff that I've read anyway, Western Sydney hit the ground running, so why aren't we top of the league yet ??? etc etc.

I don't know how any of the critics can ignore the players as a main, if not the main, problem. We have the same back 5 from last season, and sure enough our defence is our Achilles' heel. The other two thirds of the team, the midfield and the forwards, have significantly changed, and sure enough those parts of the team are fine (we're creating a real good amount of chances each game, and we've scored the 2nd equal highest number of goals).

And make no mistake, Aloisi's incredibly ridiculous squad-building is the main reason why the defence is weak. He signed no fullbacks and instead made Hoffman the default RB, and signed Ramsay on a 2 year contract and tried to make him the team's LB. Also, he signed 2 central defenders in their mid-30s, including Wielaert on a 2 year contract, who were never gonna work very well together, and both are pushing their expiration dates. Also, JA stacked our goalkeeping stocks with Redmayne, who Aloisi ensured was signed up for this season, and turned Redmayne into our default no 1 and didn't sign up enough quality to compensate for the loss on Bolton (instead, Aloisi went all-in on hoping that Redmayne would develop quickly into a good keeper. Bad bet). Given we lost Bolton we needed to bring in a real decent GK, but instead Aloisi simply picked up our cross-town rivals' rubbish in Velaphi.

Aloisi even salted the earth and ensured that there was no good young defenders coming though the club's youth system, by filling the youth ranks with the likes of Mitchinson, Walker and Vrankovic. Far off players like Hamill, Behich and Good, which the club's young system was bringing through before Aloisi took over.

JVS made it clear on Membership Day on SEN that it is simply impossible to overhaul all 23 players in a salary-capped team over one transfer period, and it was always going to take a bit longer to address all the squad weaknesses from the 2013-14 squad. It is ignorant or worse to pretend that whoever was coaching the team this season could have a perfect squad that would be right up the top of the league at the start of the 2014-15 season.

So as far as I'm concerned, it is stupid to expect a coach, any coach, to get spectacularly better performances and results out of the same players that horribly finished dead last last season, as 7 out of Sunday's starting 11 did. Once more Melbourne Heart players are replaced, then I'll be all for seriously questioning the coach's job. Because otherwise it is just poorly thought out to blame a coach for not getting more out of Redmayne (he'll never command his box, it's clear), Hoffman (he's a good athletic, he can run all day, but a terrible footballer), Ramsay, Wielaert (who JA ensured we were going to be stuck with this season, despite the fact he'd be 36 this season and a weakness whenever athleticism is demanded) and Germano & Kalmar (deadweight in the squad, the both of them).

Thankfully we'll be getting new players into the team in coming weeks, namely Mooy back from international duty, Koren back from injury and Josh Kennedy, so we should have more than half of the starting XI being new players and more judgement will be able to be accurately and meaningfully passed on the coach. Because right now, it is like trying to blame Postecoglou for the Socceroos not playing beautiful football that scores lots of goals, because that blame would badly overlook the serious lack of regeneration and the poison chalice that Postecoglou was given.

It sucks that we need to wait, again, for success. But after how screwed up the previous key people at the club left this club, there's no choice. Because the new guys aren't starting at square 1, they are starting at minus 10, meaning that the new guys have to undo all the many screw ups made by the old guys. It really sucks for supporters, like myself, who have been around since the Everton game pre-season in 2010. But those are the shitty circumstances, that's the shitty hand that this club has been dealt, and pounding on the table and demanding instant gratification and success doesn't stop all that from being true. Which is why the coach can't be hung out to dry for the team being 6th after 6 rounds in the club's first season post-takeover. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

I really don't think our squad is particularly deficient apart from two positions, GK and LB. I think on paper our squad is one of the better ones in the league.

Even Hoffman and Wielart are really not bad compared to the A-League standard of defender (which is much poorer than the standard of attackers in the league, probably a result of the salary cap + marquee system).

Even Ernie Merrick would have this team right at the top of the table, let alone Popovic, Arnold, Ange, etc.

TLDR any 'arguments' for sacking the coach on this page or the last. It looks like the same old stuff that I've read anyway, Western Sydney hit the ground running, so why aren't we top of the league yet ??? etc etc.

I don't know how any of the critics can ignore the players as a main, if not the main, problem. We have the same back 5 from last season, and sure enough our defence is our Achilles' heel. The other two thirds of the team, the midfield and the forwards, have significantly changed, and sure enough those parts of the team are fine (we're creating a real good amount of chances each game, and we've scored the 2nd equal highest number of goals).

And make no mistake, Aloisi's incredibly ridiculous squad-building is the main reason why the defence is weak. He signed no fullbacks and instead made Hoffman the default RB, and signed Ramsay on a 2 year contract and tried to make him the team's LB. Also, he signed 2 central defenders in their mid-30s, including Wielaert on a 2 year contract, who were never gonna work very well together, and both are pushing their expiration dates. Also, JA stacked our goalkeeping stocks with Redmayne, who Aloisi ensured was signed up for this season, and turned Redmayne into our default no 1 and didn't sign up enough quality to compensate for the loss on Bolton (instead, Aloisi went all-in on hoping that Redmayne would develop quickly into a good keeper. Bad bet). Given we lost Bolton we needed to bring in a real decent GK, but instead Aloisi simply picked up our cross-town rivals' rubbish in Velaphi.

Aloisi even salted the earth and ensured that there was no good young defenders coming though the club's youth system, by filling the youth ranks with the likes of Mitchinson, Walker and Vrankovic. Far off players like Hamill, Behich and Good, which the club's young system was bringing through before Aloisi took over.

JVS made it clear on Membership Day on SEN that it is simply impossible to overhaul all 23 players in a salary-capped team over one transfer period, and it was always going to take a bit longer to address all the squad weaknesses from the 2013-14 squad. It is ignorant or worse to pretend that whoever was coaching the team this season could have a perfect squad that would be right up the top of the league at the start of the 2014-15 season.

So as far as I'm concerned, it is stupid to expect a coach, any coach, to get spectacularly better performances and results out of the same players that horribly finished dead last last season, as 7 out of Sunday's starting 11 did. Once more Melbourne Heart players are replaced, then I'll be all for seriously questioning the coach's job. Because otherwise it is just poorly thought out to blame a coach for not getting more out of Redmayne (he'll never command his box, it's clear), Hoffman (he's a good athletic, he can run all day, but a terrible footballer), Ramsay, Wielaert (who JA ensured we were going to be stuck with this season, despite the fact he'd be 36 this season and a weakness whenever athleticism is demanded) and Germano & Kalmar (deadweight in the squad, the both of them).

Thankfully we'll be getting new players into the team in coming weeks, namely Mooy back from international duty, Koren back from injury and Josh Kennedy, so we should have more than half of the starting XI being new players and more judgement will be able to be accurately and meaningfully passed on the coach. Because right now, it is like trying to blame Postecoglou for the Socceroos not playing beautiful football that scores lots of goals, because that blame would badly overlook the serious lack of regeneration and the poison chalice that Postecoglou was given.

It sucks that we need to wait, again, for success. But after how screwed up the previous key people at the club left this club, there's no choice. Because the new guys aren't starting at square 1, they are starting at minus 10, meaning that the new guys have to undo all the many screw ups made by the old guys. It really sucks for supporters, like myself, who have been around since the Everton game pre-season in 2010. But those are the shitty circumstances, that's the shitty hand that this club has been dealt, and pounding on the table and demanding instant gratification and success doesn't stop all that from being true. Which is why the coach can't be hung out to dry for the team being 6th after 6 rounds in the club's first season post-takeover. 

Let me respectfully disagree a little bit with you. The back 5 are a problem from last season, and yes we were stuck contractually with Wieleart and Ramsay but we were not stuck with Hoffman nor Kirsnorbo. Both were given new contracts at the end of last season - in Hoffmans case the season had not even finished but was given a two year contract extension. This call was made by the current regime.  In this forum many, including Murfy1, have made the comment that the team lacks balance with too many mid-fielders, so I ask the question why weren't two of the out contract defenders not replaced by a better visa defender?

Next is the issue of Redmayne and if memory serves me right, it was Murfy1 that pointed out that at the time of the signing Redders was considered a very bright prospect. There may be many reasons as to why he has not developed to the extent that he was expected to. One of those must surely be why is it that, if he did have talent, the club has been unable to develop him further.

Which brings me to the next point in that even in our early seasons the club was able to develop Good, Behich, Babalj and Hamill, yet since JVS (mark 1) departure, the club has developed no youth talent at all. This could be because we are not spotting quality youth talent or because we have become crap at developing youth or a mix of the two. I will always wonder if the aforementioned Walker, Mitchinson, and Vrankovic would have fared better at other clubs. In any case the club must surely look at the youth talent spotters and youth coach but right now if NextGen were approached by City about joining their youth training squad I would have mixed feelings.

As far as Germano is concerned in his first and a bit season he was fine and definitely not a dead weight. However his injury issues (well discussed elsewhere) have turned him into one. I seriously wonder whether our medical/recovery team has been poor or whether his body has hit the limit. In any case the club is stuck with him and Kalmar through contractual obligations. Hopefully Kalmar would have received the message that the club would rather have a discarded player from the roar rather than him playing; and therefore be receptive to moving on in January. 

I certainly agree with you questioning with a new manager will work wonders with the current playing list and have the team racing up the ladder. And people often forget that the WSW did not score their first goal until well into the season. They simply were not losing. And right now MelbCity has lost one game.

I don't know how any of the critics can ignore the players as a main, if not the main, problem

Had it just been this season I may possibly agree with you- but its not. Every squad he has managed has shown the same characteristics and has pretty much the same win/loss ratio- so what the common denominator here? He is. His squad this season consists of good players who are far better than anyone elses in the league and the rest are of A-League standard. Yes, we have a gaps in particular positions, but whose fault is that? His- its his squad.

Its not about instant gratification its about finding someone who can take us to eventually become the best team in Asia. He has had ample opportunity to show what he is made of and unless something drastic changes very soon I cant see it being him. I would love to be wrong here. I would love to see him become successful but nothing seems to be changing.

I dont know what it is you see in him Murf. Maybe you made a bet with some dodgy gangsters and if he doesnt win silverware they will break your thumbs or perhaps you are just ridiculously stubborn  and made your decision to stick by him quite some time ago so now you are just digging in your heels and finding any amount of excuses you can to deflect his responsibilities (and if that is the case i really respect it because i am just as stubborn on my opinions), but if you think he is anywhere near good enough to coach an A-League team to become the best team in Asia, I would love to hear your thoughts as to why.

• Like 3

I saw a glimpse of his post match press conference last night and he didn't show the hunger and anger that i would expect from our coach. Particularly a coach with only 1 win in 6.

Arnie can get Angry - and it rubs of on his players who seem to play with such intent and fire.

Muscat is the same. Lowe is one crazy coach.  Lets not forget gombau and his runs on the pitch when they score. Gombau even calls a journalists son a "sh*t GK". 

What does our couch do?  He doesn't even fire up in the press conference when the referee cost us the first goal. 

Our coach looks like he is probably better suited as a youth coach. He is far too calm (which suits kids).

I want a coach who will stand up and look at his players and tell them how cr*p they are when they bow a 2-0 lead. 

JVS looks like he is only here for a tan.

Edited by markn
  • Like 1

I don't know how any of the critics can ignore the players as a main, if not the main, problem

Had it just been this season I may possibly agree with you- but its not. Every squad he has managed has shown the same characteristics and has pretty much the same win/loss ratio- so what the common denominator here? He is. His squad this season consists of good players who are far better than anyone elses in the league and the rest are of A-League standard. Yes, we have a gaps in particular positions, but whose fault is that? His- its his squad.

Completely agree KSK. What's being forgotten here is that JvS has been back in charge since the end of December 2013. Yes some players were already on contracts that extended into the current season, but all the others are either re-signings or new signings under JvS.

In this his second tenure JvS has been in charge for 20 league matches and one FFA Cup match, for 7 wins, 6 draws and 8 defeats. A win % of 33.33%.

If you look at http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=mgr&show=msm to see the performance of A-League managers overall (A-League matches only), you'll see that this is marginally better than his overall performance (30.38%).

The comparisons with other contemporary A-League managers are startling. Only newcomer Phil Stubbins has a poorer record, and he's hardly on the scoreboard with just six matches overall.

Quite simply, unless there is a phenomenal turn-around, JvS will not take us to silverware.

Edited by jw1739

Its not about instant gratification its about finding someone who can take us to eventually become the best team in Asia. He has had ample opportunity to show what he is made of and unless something drastic changes very soon I cant see it being him. I would love to be wrong here. I would love to see him become successful but nothing seems to be changing.

I dont know what it is you see in him Murf. Maybe you made a bet with some dodgy gangsters and if he doesnt win silverware they will break your thumbs or perhaps you are just ridiculously stubborn  and made your decision to stick by him quite some time ago so now you are just digging in your heels and finding any amount of excuses you can to deflect his responsibilities (and if that is the case i really respect it because i am just as stubborn on my opinions), but if you think he is anywhere near good enough to coach an A-League team to become the best team in Asia, I would love to hear your thoughts as to why.

I can't agree with your comment that "his squad has players that are  far better than anyone elses". The only player from this squad that could walk into any of the top four sides squad is Duff. Mooy would also get a run at one or two of the other clubs.The rest would at best be bench players in any of the top four sides. The gaps are partially his fault but some are inherited. None  the less I agree that with the pre-season he had time to help plug in the defensive gaps.

The one thing that has me perplexed is the statement "its about finding someone who can take us to eventually become the best team in Asia". The word 'eventually' can be an awful long time, maybe even JVS time. Perhaps you can better quantify how long a coach has before you give him the flick.