Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

That's not coaches fault. Classic 2-0 up and dominating game, cop nothing goal and then shit yourself and sit back waiting for the other team to equalize effort.

ffs.

Agree, the players need to wear this result. The question I'd have of JVS is that maybe I would have swapped on Archibald instead of another midfielder.

It wasn't coach's instructions to sit deeper and deeper.

Well Bela I thought JVS was wrong to have Retre on the bench rather than Garuccio

This is the sort of thing that has people questioning him

This is a consistent pattern of player behavior under Heart/City teams coached JVS. When players leave or before they get here they do not seem to have these problems.

You may be right, as I don't have knowledge of the players like you.

However, that still doesn't absolve the players from blame along with JVS

If it was his choice not to strengthen the defence then I would say that is a big mistake as it is one part of the team were you can see glaring deficiencies

That's not coaches fault. Classic 2-0 up and dominating game, cop nothing goal and then shit yourself and sit back waiting for the other team to equalize effort.

ffs.

Agree, the players need to wear this result. The question I'd have of JVS is that maybe I would have swapped on Archibald instead of another midfielder.

It wasn't coach's instructions to sit deeper and deeper.

Well Bela I thought JVS was wrong to have Retre on the bench rather than Garuccio

This is the sort of thing that has people questioning him

We wouldn't have defended any better with Garuccio, we had a defender there and didn't play him.

Ffs do some of you even follow soccer? Is this your first season? If a team wins, it's because if the manager. If a team loses, it's because of the manager. If a team draws, it's because of the manager.

The manager is more influential on results than the players are.

A good manager can take a team of shit cunts that should be playing in the state league (eg West Sydney except for 2-3 players) and win the Champions League. While a shit cunt like JVS can have Mooy, Duff, Dugandzic, Villa, etc and win one fucking game.

Tesla you are wrong!!

It is down to the team as a whole if you win, lose or draw!

A manger can do very little when the team has crossed that white line.....it is then up to the players to put his plan into operation. Of course the manager can get messages across to change things around, but it is still up to the players to implement his orders. Taht is why it is a team as a whole that is at fault if you throw a 2 goal lead away.

I am not saying JVS tactics are right, but you just can't absolve the players of all responsibility.

What we lack is a leader on the pitch, that has become very clear to me this season.

Wait until JVS is gone, ad we'll see what happens. I'm confident things will turn around pretty quickly.

Ffs do some of you even follow soccer? Is this your first season? If a team wins, it's because if the manager. If a team loses, it's because of the manager. If a team draws, it's because of the manager.

A good manager can take a team of shit cunts that should be playing in the state league (eg West Sydney except for 2-3 players) and win the Champions League. While a shit cunt like JVS can have Mooy, Duff, Dugandzic, Villa, etc and win one fucking game.

Tesla you are wrong!!

A manger can do very little when the team has crossed that white line.....it is then up to the players to put his plan into operation. Of course the manager can get messages across to change things around, but it is still up to the players to implement his orders. Taht is why it is a team as a whole that is at fault if you throw a 2 goal lead away.

I am not saying JVS tactics are right, but you just can't absolve the players of all responsibility.

What we lack is a leader on the pitch, that has become very clear to me this season.

Wait until JVS is gone, ad we'll see what happens. I'm confident things will turn around pretty quickly.

They may do Tesla, but my point still stands that everyone is responsible for whatever result is achieved.

Tesla you are wrong!!

What we lack is a leader on the pitch, that has become very clear to me this season. Wait until JVS is gone, ad we'll see what happens. I'm confident things will turn around pretty quickly.

Just exactly like what happened last year when jvs came back in. All of a sudden the same blokes were world beaters.

It would just be a temporary fix.

Tesla you are wrong!!

What we lack is a leader on the pitch, that has become very clear to me this season. Wait until JVS is gone, ad we'll see what happens. I'm confident things will turn around pretty quickly.

Just exactly like what happened last year when jvs came back in. All of a sudden the same blokes were world beaters.

Anyone connected with Heart needs to go.  Coach, players, administrators.

• Like 1

Unless we let history repeat again and sign Kennedy as our coach because people know who he is because he plays for the Socceroos

Fwiw, Kennedy could come in as player/coach and say "kick it to me" and he'd already be a better manager than Aloisi.

PPL say that sacking the coach wont fix the problem...

But the reality is that it is a undeniable fact that throughout the history of Modern Football the most proven method of changing the fortunes of poor performing football side has been the sacking of a Manager.

He has coached a solid two and half Seasons of A-League Football now and he has not even won a third of his games... yet we are meant to pretend that this guy is going turn into a Grand Final winner? or even a Final Winner? 

• Like 1

But the reality is that it is a undeniable fact that throughout the history of Modern Football the most proven method of changing the fortunes of poor performing football side has been the sacking of a Manager.

He has coached a solid two and half Seasons of A-League Football now and he has not even won a third of his games... yet we are meant to pretend that this guy is going turn into a Grand Final winner? or even a Final Winner? 

Actually the evidence is opposite. Replacing players makes a difference, replacing a coach mid season makes little difference over the course of the season.

• Like 1

It's hard to argue your point, he's had his far share of time in the job.

I don't blame jvs for the first goal but the last one the closing down was pathetic, because they haven't been coached to do so.

Oh please. It is basic fucking defending to be able to hold on to a lead with only injury time minutes remaining. It is basic defending that non-professional footballers know: keep your shape, stay compact and put enough pressure on opponents and the ball so they can't fashion any real shooting opportunities. 

Professional footballers don't (or shouldn't) have to be coached how to defend with only a few minutes remaining. And if professional footballers need to be micro-managed in such an elementary area of the game, then you have a real problem with those so-called 'professional football players'.

• Like 5

Actually the evidence is opposite. Replacing players makes a difference, replacing a coach mid season makes little difference over the course of the season.

Would like to see this evidence as the anecdotal evidence I've witnessed aligns with what cadete said.

I don't blame jvs for the first goal but the last one the closing down was pathetic, because they haven't been coached to do so.

Oh please. It is basic fucking defending to be able to hold on to a lead with only injury time minutes remaining. It is basic defending that non-professional footballers know: keep your shape, stay compact and put enough pressure on opponents and the ball so they can't fashion any real shooting opportunities. 

Professional footballers don't (or shouldn't) have to be coached how to defend with only a few minutes remaining. And if professional footballers need to be micro-managed in such an elementary area of the game, then you have a real problem with those so-called 'professional football players'.

Its true. But for some reason it always happens to us, so we must consistently sign players that fade out in the last breaths of the game. It must be a recruitment issue 

Edited by KSK_47

JvS has never welded either Heart or City into a unit - with every player playing for every other player until the last gasp of every match. Today IMO he made a fundamental mistake in bringing on Retre for Melling - my MOTM - when if Melling was to be substituted it should have been by Archibald.

City is fast becoming the laughing stock of the league under his leadership.

Tesla you are wrong!!

Anyone connected with Heart needs to go.  Coach, players, administrators.

Basically this. You could name at least 5-10 players who should be sacked and all our staff (JVS, Munn ext) wouldn't even get a job at other clubs

I think the person who escapes a lot of heat on here is John Diluca. He is the one after all who is recruiting these mentally week players, if anyone should go first it should be him.

• Like 1

Would like to see this evidence as the anecdotal evidence I've witnessed aligns with what cadete said.

There's a whole chapter on it in Soccernomics. 

So whats the best solution when you have a coach with a shit track record with various squads at different clubs and looks to be making no improvement? Get him better players? 

So far in 4 and a bit seasons that I have followed the A-League my observations on coaches that have been sacked mid-season is that the team does not improve all that much. The only two exceptions have been AU when Coolen was sacked, and Heart when Aloisi was sacked. Its a different story when the coach is sacked at season's end. So even if JVS were to be removed tomorrow morning then I would not expect the team to fare any better.

A more likely scenario is that if Koren ever made his way onto the pitch he will bring an immediate change but that will soon fade because of his lack of fitness. And the reason I say this is because theoretically our International Marquee should be our best player and that is what happened when Engelaar returned to the pitch last season.

Should the players know how to defend? Well Murfy1 has said it all.

Is JVS at fault? It certainly is looking likely. The fact that the team cannot defend a lead is piss poor. The team fadeouts, both physically and mentally,  have been an annual topic of despair. The tactics deployed in the second half are showing great promise in creating scoring opportunities but the defence is weak. He had the whole pre-season to provide a fix. I don't expect the skill levels of Kisnorbo to improve, not at this stage of his career. But certainly some of the other players can and should - I look with envy at the way Gombau has improved the skill levels of his lesser players and the way he has nurtured the younger talent. So I do expect that the team needs some real skill coaching and I do expect the players to improve. So far I have not seen any evidence that JVS is doing anything successfully to combat this.

Will CFG act? we won't know until it actually happens but I do expect that if it does they will have already a decent candidate in mind.

So whats the best solution when you have a coach with a shit track record with various squads at different clubs and looks to be making no improvement? Get him better players? 

According to Soccernomics, the data suggests that replacing a coach mid-season but asking him to do better with the same squad of players that his predecessor selected has marginal benefits at best. The best solution is to replace the coach at the end of the season and allow him to select better players for the squad. of course there are always individual examples of massive improvement after a coach change but its usually destabilising and a waste of money. Just look at our franchise history last year, we were bottom when Aloisi was sacked, and remained bottom at the end of the season. 

The Soccernomics data comes from an examination of European leagues that are not salary capped, it may or may not be the same in a capped league but there's no evidence to suggest that replacing JVS at this stage would change the player's concentration and technique.

Mate obviously they do need to be coached in it because it is not drilled in we have over the course of our history given up late leads yet the issue still exists because they won't put the time in on the training track to pressuarise the guy with the ball. Instead give them room to play someone in or like tonight get a free shot off.

So much to comment on regarding that match with ALL involved with the club. But for fuck sake some of these fucking players must be retarded. How the fuck can you not defend the lead, put every fucking fibre of your body on the line and every ounce of effort to defend that lead. Pressure, don't give them time, do something to throw off any chances they may have to shot, cross or pass. I cannot understand, I cannot beleive this cannot be done by some of these muppets.

• Like 2

Perhaps the only thing that making changes mid-season does is to show the supporters and the rest of the club staff that the owners do actually recognise that mistakes have been made, that they are determined to rectify them, and nobody is big enough to prevent that happening.

So much to comment on regarding that match with ALL involved with the club. But for fuck sake some of these fucking players must be retarded. How the fuck can you not defend the lead, put every fucking fibre of your body on the line and every ounce of effort to defend that lead. Pressure, don't give them time, do something to throw off any chances they may have to shot, cross or pass. I cannot understand, I cannot beleive this cannot be done by some of these muppets.

Unfortunately I would say that the evidence is that it's still too easy for the players at Melbourne City. And that comes back to the Head Coach and senior management at the club. Some of our players would simply not survive under coaches such as Arnold and Muscat.

• Like 1

Perhaps the only thing that making changes mid-season does is to show the supporters and the rest of the club staff that the owners do actually recognise that mistakes have been made, that they are determined to rectify them, and nobody is big enough to prevent that happening.

It does if they get the choice right, but then whoever that person is needs to be available.

Copped a open water bottle to the head today after the game in the terrace because i said JVS should be sacked, was a pisser. In all seriousness, until we fuck off 90 percent of the players and whatever the fuck that was associated with Heart i.e. JVS, the board and whatever the fuck else there was. How can you expect to get bought out by a high profile group, keep the same shit, buy 3-4 quality (debatable) players and expect different results? Thats like going to two different hookers on St.Kilda road and expecting one hooker to be better at giving a good root than the other, In the end you end up with aids, and that my friends is what we have, a club full of aids. (bonus points to anyone who can think of a better analogy)

So sick of JVS.

And wondering what it will take for some of the people on here to stop defending him? Do we need to have Man City's playing roster and facilities and still perform poorly in the A-league? The way some of you deflect responsibility from the key man in charge boggles my mind. You should apply for a job as Heart's next coach.

The team is doing more poorly than even I could have envisioned for this season. I thought we were going to simply get mediocre results but they are out doing themselves. And now that the bar is set so lowly just watch if we start getting mediocre results that will be seen as a great achievement by some on here. But my fear has always been and will continue to be is JVS the man to make this the best team in the comp and the answer to that is pretty clear. And if he's not then piss him off ASAP. Get someone good in charge so he has half a season to sort the players out before next season.

What really gets my goat is that pretty much everyone admits there's something wrong with Heart's mental toughness yet that very culture was in a big part developed by JVS. He coached the team for 2.5 of its 4 seasons before this season started. I think JA set the bar so low some of you forget the first two seasons especially. But I guess there were lots of excuses to go around back then from wheelie bin ice baths to Colosimo... Now the excuses are running thin but there are still enough for many of you to hold onto. I'm impressed by some of your efforts though. Thank God for Williams missing sitters! He's always a good scapegoat (forget the fact that he started under JVS and re-signed under him).

When Heart were shit in pre-season some of us were attacked for being pessimists and told to judge the team once the season started.

Well the season has well and truly started and the team sucks.

• Like 1

Another point I'll add in favour of removing an unsuccessful coach sooner rather than later, and replacing him with a caretaker for the remainder of the season, is that you give yourself a lot more time to find the best replacement, and you remove the unsuccessful coach out of further harm's way.

If we persist with JvS for the rest of this season if we're not careful he'll start signing and re-signing the wrong players, just as he already has for the current season.

CFG would be best served by recognising that they've made a mistake and by acting now.

When CFG took over, first thing I was excited about was strong possibility that they will source a quality coach to take us forward.

A candidate who has a successful track record and finally we will be taken seriously in this league.

ATM his tactics are predictable and weak