Forwards

Nathan Burns

Tim Cahill

Robbie Kruse

Matthew Leckie

James Troisi

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus didn't make it

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-23/socceroos-unveil-23-man-asian-cup-squad/5984902

Socceroos' 23-man Asian Cup squad
  • Terry Antonis, Aziz Behich, Mark Bresciano, Nathan Burns, Tim Cahill, Jason Davidson, Ivan Franjic, Eugene Galekovic, Chris Herd, Mile Jedinak, Tomi Juric, Robbie Kruse, Mitchell Langerak, Mathew Leckie, Luongo, Matt McKay, Mark Milligan, Tommy Oar, Mat Ryan, Trent Sainsbury, Matthew Spiranovic, James Troisi, Alex Wilkinson.

I like Antonis but Mooy is extremely stiff, could have gone either way. 

Herd would wanna pull off something special.

Agreed, this is the inclusion that really stands out as the odd one out. What has this guy done aside from play a few games for Aston Villa and regularly been unavailable for national team selection? 

TBH I'm just fucking around, OG doesn't fit Ange's 'system'.

Which is fine, the manager can call up who he thinks will perform best for him.

But they have to get the results, and I can't see there being many excuses if Australia doesn't get the results. Tournament on home soil, we should win.

Mooys game has come alive at City because he has had the freedom to run up and down the pitch from penalty box to penalty box. I highly doubt he would get anywhere near this freedom in the NT, so my opinion is this is why Ange didn't choose him, because he doesn't fit as well within his philosophy. This is also why I dislike Ange at the helm because of his inability to change the playing style to best suit the players playing for him.

This is also why I dislike Ange at the helm because of his inability to change the playing style to best suit the players playing for him.

Exactly why he failed previous at international level and why he will fail with the Socceroos. It's all well and good when you can just sign the players you need at club level, but at international level you have to make do with what you have.

Exactly why Popovic needs to be given the job, he turned a bunch of state league level players into Asian champions, I'm sure he can do something with the Socceroos.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

So Liverpool's first choice keeper isn't even in the top 3 Australian keepers :hmm:

Surprising omission indeed.

Jones probably isn't complaining though.  It seems Ryan is #1 and Langerak is #2.  He hasn't played regularly for several years and as of 2 weeks ago is now the #1 (and at a big club too).  A few weeks in Australia sitting in the stands would just hand his jersey back to Mignolet.  Not worth unless you are going to start.

I would have taken Covic instead of Eugene.  

Here's why:  

This is the third spot.  It's likely Ryan and Langerak will fight it out to start and Ryan will win.  The No.3 could go to a younger keeper, but both Ryan and Langerak are quite young themselves and there seems little point selecting someone who's even younger just for the sake of it.  With that in mind, there's little future for the No. 3 slot, so just pick the best candidate, who is in the best form.  That for me is Covic, fine keeper though Eugene is.

I would have thought once in camp Covic might even make a case to play and hey, why not.  Don't repeat the Brazil stuff up of playing a guy who was overawed simply because he was a young up and comer.  If we'd had Covic in Brazil there might be quite a few pretty pissed off Dutchmen out there right now.

Finally I would have thought Covic's experience would have been good to have around camp.  Been to a world cup, played in Europe, Won the Asian Cup etc etc.

My feeling is from this squad the best starting line up is:

Oar......................Cahill...................Kruse

............................Luongo

...............Bresc...............Jedinak

Behich............Spira      Wilko          Franjic

...........................Ryan

Look to the likes Of Burns, Juric and Leckie to come off the bench and give us some punch.

Our form has been so bad i don't have a lot of hope, but I do think that's a handy side, though another quality central defender would be handy and if we don't get far it will be due to our defence.

Australia won't win

I'm not even fully convinced we will get out of the group stage. South Korea are better than us and on their day both Kuwait and Oman can beat us. Really can't see us winning this if I'm honest.

This, Kuwait and Oman can quite capably beat us. 

Our biggest advantage is that we're at home which is nothing to scoff at, so I still give us a chance to at least make the semis.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhys Williams stretchered off again, what a spectacularly rotten run of luck he's suffered.

Yes unfortunate for him, the championship is and always has been very tough, there are no beg pardons in that division, it is i think, some what harder than the premier league. A lot of the players are less technically gifted but do not lack in enthusiasm which produces a lot of very hard tackles and tough matches.