Melbourne Football

Australia @ 2015 Asian Cup

Tesla

The challenge for Ange is in club football he "just" goes out and gets the sort of players he needs. I'm sure its not easy, but he's shown its achievable.

For our team though, he has to stick with the Aussies, which makes it a lot harder for him and what really worried me about his appointment. The way i see it the coach of the socceroos has to "cut his cloak to fit his cloth" and that means you have to be pragmatic, who have i got and how can they best play? Ange isn't terribly pragmatic, which is both his strength and his weakness.

Having said that, at present his main challenges seem to be he hasn't got any defenders worth a tinker's cuss and he's only got the one goal scorer. To be honest no matter how pragmatic you are you are going to struggle with that mix. Grind out games - can't do that you'll concede soft goals and lose. Tora tora tora - can't do that either, as not enough goal scorers, so you'll probably concede more than you can score. Definitely a challenging job.

Resorting to quoting myself.

Can pass the ball around beautifully but can't defend and can't score without Timmy.

Shut the fuck up Harper. Stop protecting your love child ange, he has been out coached tonight.

Was just about to say this, nothing productive comes out of sugarcoating a shit performance. 

It's perfectly acceptable to be impressed by our first half as it was superb but at the very least, just come and admit that we've been complete and utter shit in the second half. 

I know Japan are good but the Asian Cup is rapidly approaching and there's every possibility we won't make it out of the group stage if we don't start getting results. 

...and go Mooy.

Franjic isn't the answer at RB, bombs forward 100% of the time. All good against A-League opposition, but he left his defence wide open everytime we lost the ball. Also the need for a left footed central defender is blatantly obvious, Sainsbury is quality but they forced him onto his left foot and it resulted is a turnover the majority of the time.

What in the world do people see in Robbie Kruse?

I think people got a little obsessed with the "most fouled player in Europe" stat, although he was playing some good football for Leverkusen at the time. 

He was shithouse tonight though and whilst he was probably lacking match fitness, we've still got to expect much better from our forwards if we're going to win anything.

I didn't realise it was confined to tonight, most games I watch of him are not very inspiring

Nah, fair call. I can't say I'm a huge fan either.

I think it says more about the wider pool of players we actually have available for selection though, who else have we got on the wing who can say they've played at the level he has? We're a far cry from our golden generation now where every member of the starting XI was playing for high-profile European clubs.

Why would you not start Cahill against Japan?

He is probably the most famous footballer in that country given how many times he has fucked them.

Sack Ange.

He was under an injury cloud during the week and he mentioned post-game that if he started he'd have to take a jab to get through the game.

Plus Ange probably wanted someone else to score a goal for once

Why would you not start Cahill against Japan?

He is probably the most famous footballer in that country given how many times he has fucked them.

Sack Ange.

He was under an injury cloud during the week and he mentioned post-game that if he started he'd have to take a jab to get through the game.

Plus Ange probably wanted someone else to score a goal for once

Thought there must be a reason, even Ange isn't that retarded.

But seriously if we go shit in the Asian Cup, Ange needs to go.

I still dont think Ange fully appreciates the differences between club football and international football. You don't have time to build a style of play with internationals and you constantly have an evolving squad so you need to play towards your strengths and play within the capabilities of those within your sqaud.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

I still dont think Ange fully appreciates the differences between club football and international football. You don't have time to build a style of play with internationals and you constantly have an evolving squad so you need to play towards your strengths and play within the capabilities of those within your sqaud.

This is why I think Arnold should have gotten the job over him.

• Like 1

No fucking way. Both are inept at international level. Only Australian worth giving the job to is Popovic.

• Like 2

This is why I think Arnold should have gotten the job over him.No fucking way. Both are inept at international level. Only Australian worth giving the job to is Popovic. I don't recall Popovic ever being in the picture. I don't rate Ange as NT coach, don't think GA would do much better, but atleast he get us to defend.

Having some one like AP in charge of an NT only works when their is a large talent pool of players who can actually play. (Can pass and recieve ball under pressure, can retain possession in the attacking half etc.)

Edited by malloy

No fucking way. Both are inept at international level. Only Australian worth giving the job to is Popovic.

I don't recall Popovic ever being in the picture. I don't rate Ange as NT coach, don't think GA would do much better, but atleast he get us to defend.

Having some one like AP in charge of an NT only works when their is a large talent pool of players who can actually play. (Can pass and recieve ball under pressure, can retain possession in the attacking half etc.)

Having someone like AP in charge of a NT will never really work because he has no adaptability.

And no, I don't think Popovic was a serious contender at the time, I'm just saying right now he is the only Australian worthy of the job.

Edited by Tesla

I thought Arnold was worthy of serious consideration.  Has shown a great ability to achieve a lot out of not much (a requirement of the current job).  For those who criticise his previous tenure, I think you can ignore that.  He was hamstrung by the FFA there.  The FFA never offered him the position, apart from being a caretaker and he didn't thus have enough authority to deal with his experienced players.  Given that he wasn't very experienced at the time, it was a recipe for the disaster that unfolded.