Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

A bloke on Facebook got sent the article before it was taken down and posted it on Facebook:

--

Robert Koren to leave Melbourne City with $400,000 contract payout

10 minutes ago

David Davutovic

MARQUEE player Robert Koren has played his last game for Melbourne City after accepting a payout from the club.

The A-League’s richest club has agreed to payout the bulk of his remaining $400,000 contract after week-long negotiations.

Koren, 35, is understood to have rejected City’s first offer and vowed to fight for his place but coach John van ’t Schip encouraged his superiors to conclude the settlement as their relationship became untenable.

City is almost certain to sign an overseas marquee to replace the former Slovenian captain immediately.

Koren was unsighted at training on Wednesday, while new signing and direct replacement Anthony Caceres had his first session with the team after training solo at City headquarters for the past week and looks set to debut on Monday against Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park.

City midfielder Erik Paartalu is likely to remain with City despite reports linking him with Koreans Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors. City told Paartalu they’d let him leave after he was axed for the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory.

However City are poised to be active in the final fortnight of the A-League transfer window

Caceres’ former Central Coast teammate Nick Fitzgerald, 23, is understood to have agreed terms with City, though it’s unclear why his unveiling has been delayed.

Left-back Michael Zullo said he’d become used to player turnover during his career.

“It’s part of football and the older you get and the more experience you have in the game you just become desensitised to players coming and going, it’s just part of the job,’’ Zullo said.

“Someone can be a teammate one day, and three or four days later you can be playing against them — it’s part of being a footballer. But it can be very exciting if you are a player looking to get a move somewhere else.

“Anthony is probably the one we have had most to deal with in this window and he is a top quality player who will add a lot to our team.’’

Zullo said City’s activity proved they were keen to win silverware and said players coming into the club would be impressed with the environment.

“The club has made no secret that they want to be the best club in Australia, the best club in Asia, so every quality player who comes into the door has to tick the boxes, has to be a quality player, a quality person and have the winning mentality,’’ he said.

“Anyone who comes to City this year will be very happy with the environment they are coming to and there is the added carrot that we are title contenders this year. There’s a lot to play for being at a club like ours.

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Zullo's commenting when he is no better than Koren, basically milking the club's resources and giving nothing in return.

Zullo's almost 10 years younger than Koren and has a lot to prove, unlike stale Koren who's been through the Prem League and fell disastrously.

I can't check because its behind their paywall so will just take @Deeming s word.

Finally Korens potential had been realised! I know poor scouting is largely to blame, but JVS didn't help the cause. It was obvious by March last year that this guy was not playing at A League standard, yet he was continued to be selected (in fact until the last fortnight he was selected for every game he was available).

This situation should have been brought to a head well before the end of last season. I think JVS has just been "too nice".

Well all I can say is "better late than never"

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

This situation should have been brought to a head well before the end of last season. I think JVS has just been "too nice".

Well all I can say is "better late than never"

I disagree in the sense that i think the non-decision was more a directive from higher up rather than JvS himself. 

I actually believe that if he was allowed to, JvS would have got rid of him earlier.

Now I'll put my hand up and say i was really hoping Koren would come good as i believed in his class. Still think he has this, but the reality is he just did not produce for us what was expected of him. Given that he was brought here as a marquee with marquee wages, we had every right to expect big things and equally have every right to feel agrieved with what we got in return. 

So in the end, the right decision was made. And as said above, definitely better late than never. 

Let's hope as a club we learn from this and that they deliver us a marquee that can and will perform to our expectations. 

• Like 3

Well if this is true that he's been released my final memories of him won't be his hat trick against Newcastle or his ability to have no impact when on the pitch.

I think I'll remember him the most for pulling up to the club in his casual gear yesterday sipping his takeaway latte. I'd say that sums up his time the best at City. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

10:01am and nothing. Fold this club.

Just an idea but I suspect that for all the "ins" and "outs" the club waits for the formal registration/deregistration process to take place before it makes an announcement and that this accounts for the delays between signatures and announcements. "Many a slip..." etc.

13 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Zullo's almost 10 years younger than Koren and has a lot to prove, unlike stale Koren who's been through the Prem League and fell disastrously.

Zullo's leaving at the end of the season (just after he has used the club to get fit) so his age and future prospects are irrelevant to us.   He's played 100 minutes less than Koren too.

8 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Zullo's leaving at the end of the season (just after he has used the club to get fit) so his age and future prospects are irrelevant to us.   He's played 100 minutes less than Koren too.

Reckon Zullo will probably sign a 1 year extension?

No European Club would take him after this season surely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JC22 said:

Reckon Zullo will probably sign a 1 year extension?

No European Club would take him after this season surely.

Hasn't played a full game in 18 months-I'd use a KPI of him playing 60% of remaining minutes left in the season to offer an extension.

Correction he hasn't played more than 45 minutes in 18 months, by his own admission.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

OH KOREN (Australian Crawl) Tribute

"Koren"
56937972640ff_2016-01-1120.41.29.jpg.373

European state
It just don't rate
He want to get higher
Slovenian village
The inbred smile

He's going to get by'a
His mother's hand
He could not stand
He left for the island

To fish and hunt
He take a punt
The EPL he went

Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

He had to go, the Sirocco
He's sailin the high seas
Slovenia's, Captain Blood
He's billing the CFG

Took a rebel stand
Contraband
Coast of Melbourne
He want to pounce
Like an animal
To fans he just can't say no

Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

He had them all
Screamin' for more
He play the wild scene
Ah scandalise
No compromise

Then down on his knees
JVS murdering him
He was the king
Class all class

They build him up
They took it all
And then they
Just cut him down

400k to leave
not even a goodbye
King Koren Marquee
Just cut him down

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

Don't tell me it's true
I don't wanna hear about it
Don't tell me it's true

Don't tell me it's true
Don't tell me it's true

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

OH KOREN (Australian Crawl) Tribute

"Koren"
56937972640ff_2016-01-1120.41.29.jpg.373

European state
It just don't rate
He want to get higher
Serbian village
The inbred smile

He's going to get by'a
His mother's hand
He could not stand
He left for the island

To fish and hunt
He take a punt
The EPL he went

Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

He had to go, the Sirocco
He's sailin the high seas
Serbia's, Captain Blood
He's billing the CFG

Took a rebel stand
Contraband
Coast of Melbourne
He want to pounce
Like an animal
To fans he just can't say no

Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Woh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

He had them all
Screamin' for more
He play the wild scene
Ah scandalise
No compromise

Then down on his knees
JVS murdering him
He was the king
Class all class

They build him up
They took it all
And then they
Just cut him down

400k to leave
not even a goodbye
King Koren Marquee
Just cut him down

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

Don't tell me it's true
Don't tell me it's true

Don't tell me it's true
Don't tell me it's true

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him
Oh, KOREN
I would give everything
Just to be like him

If only Koren was as dedicated as you.

Melbourne City FC can announce Robert Koren has been released after featuring as the Club's international marquee during the past two Hyundai A-League seasons.

The Club and player have agreed to part ways by mutual consent.

During his time as a Melbourne City player, Koren, 35, made 26 appearances for the Club, scoring four goals.

The Club thanks Robi for his contribution over the past two seasons and wishes him well for his future endeavours.

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-release-robert-koren/kv3ywcpykhnk12dacjfgfamq2#HwpDYkjSsz4wK8Qk.99

• Like 2