Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

40 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

marriage break up. dislikes america. there was an artical about it not long ago when he was in the country.

going by some rule he cant be signed unless his toured the facilities met his team mates before he signs.

Did well in the UK with Hull you dont just become shit overnight (you dont play that many games in the UK i could be wrong and captain a club for as long as he did)!! Alot of the blame has to go to JVS the other part goes down to his injuries.

Koren didn't become shit overnight but his last season at Hull (who were 17th in the EPL) he was clearly a fringe player, so he was obviously in decline and that has just continued. 

The guy is a European whose played in cold climates for years so there is a reasonable chance he is one of these wooses who can't handle heat.

For further comment see my 20 posts on him.

On 14/01/2016 at 6:14 PM, Tony999 said:

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Rubbish.

But we should be playing in winter anyway. A lot of people are disgruntled with afl so playing in the traditional Aussie football season should see bigger a league crowds. And the NRL is just a joke.

Bahahaha I love it. I'd also like to blame global warming and Tony abbot for Koren's poor form too tbh.

• Like 2

As an aside I was talking to a good mate of mine who is connected to the Bombers and is also a cricket tragic. The topic is whether elite players decline precipitously or gradually, and we were both inclined to say that their on-field performance usually (but not always) tend to fall away quite sharply. Under this scenario it is quite possible that Koren's performance did drop away overnight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Kaka will not happen- CFG has already said they'll spend according to the league the team plays in.

Besides they could not hope to get get any return on investment of $10 mill for one player.

Im hearing guest stint ..... I've also heard its a done deal so the FFA want to raise its profile here it is

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Koren didn't become shit overnight but his last season at Hull (who were 17th in the EPL) he was clearly a fringe player, so he was obviously in decline and that has just continued. 

The guy is a European whose played in cold climates for years so there is a reasonable chance he is one of these wooses who can't handle heat.

For further comment see my 20 posts on him.

When you can spend money on players to phase out a 34yo wouldn't you? Hopefully Koren is a warning to others clubs not to sign 34+yo players. A very expensive mistake.

Robert Koren to leave Melbourne City with $400,000 contract payout

10 minutes ago

David Davutovic

MARQUEE player Robert Koren has played his last game for Melbourne City after accepting a payout from the club.

The A-League’s richest club has agreed to payout the bulk of his remaining $400,000 contract after week-long negotiations.

Koren, 35, is understood to have rejected City’s first offer and vowed to fight for his place but coach John van ’t Schip encouraged his superiors to conclude the settlement as their relationship became untenable.

City is almost certain to sign an overseas marquee to replace the former Slovenian captain immediately.

Koren was unsighted at training on Wednesday, while new signing and direct replacement Anthony Caceres had his first session with the team after training solo at City headquarters for the past week and looks set to debut on Monday against Wellington Phoenix at AAMI Park.

City midfielder Erik Paartalu is likely to remain with City despite reports linking him with Koreans Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors. City told Paartalu they’d let him leave after he was axed for the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory.

However City are poised to be active in the final fortnight of the A-League transfer window

Caceres’ former Central Coast teammate Nick Fitzgerald, 23, is understood to have agreed terms with City, though it’s unclear why his unveiling has been delayed.

Left-back Michael Zullo said he’d become used to player turnover during his career.

“It’s part of football and the older you get and the more experience you have in the game you just become desensitised to players coming and going, it’s just part of the job,’’ Zullo said.

“Someone can be a teammate one day, and three or four days later you can be playing against them — it’s part of being a footballer. But it can be very exciting if you are a player looking to get a move somewhere else.

“Anthony is probably the one we have had most to deal with in this window and he is a top quality player who will add a lot to our team.’’

Zullo said City’s activity proved they were keen to win silverware and said players coming into the club would be impressed with the environment.

“The club has made no secret that they want to be the best club in Australia, the best club in Asia, so every quality player who comes into the door has to tick the boxes, has to be a quality player, a quality person and have the winning mentality,’’ he said.

“Anyone who comes to City this year will be very happy with the environment they are coming to and there is the added carrot that we are title contenders this year. There’s a lot to play for being at a club like ours.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/robert-koren-to-leave-melbourne-city-with-400000-contract-payout/news-story/ced7de0af2cb320f479a42e5a5814c1c

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Im hearing guest stint ..... I've also heard its a done deal so the FFA want to raise its profile here it is

When you can spend money on players to phase out a 34yo wouldn't you? Hopefully Koren is a warning to others clubs not to sign 34+yo players. A very expensive mistake.

Well if it was a warning CCM didn't notice. They have just signed a 37 year old who hasn't played in 2 years.

53 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

I hope you have added that to bull shit watch @AntiScum ;)

3 hours ago, AntiScum said:

Going by what Ange said about one of the biggest names ..... aint no bigger name then Kaka!!!

10mil is back pocket change for CFG and they want us in Asia so you just never know!! If it does go ahead im guessing a Guest stint and if we qualify for Asia theyll try and make it permanent

But they also own a japanese club 

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

Robert Koren to leave Melbourne City with $400,000 contract payout

10 minutes ago

David Davutovic

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/robert-koren-to-leave-melbourne-city-with-400000-contract-payout/news-story/ced7de0af2cb320f479a42e5a5814c1c

That link no longer works. Has the story been pulled?

Good to see CFG is getting more ruthless with each season in wanting to be a successful club. Also obviously sends a message to the squad that nobody is safe if they're not up to the standard required. Pretty much every other team would have just let him play out his contract. 

5 minutes ago, knutty said:

Good to see CFG is getting more ruthless with each season in wanting to be a successful club. Also obviously sends a message to the squad that nobody is safe if they're not up to the standard required. Pretty much every other team would have just let him play out his contract. 

Arnold and Muscat would have that spud training by himself before the end of last season.

not sure I agree with that approach, but that is what they do.

Edited by Shahanga

4 minutes ago, knutty said:

Disagree slightly. A few other teams have removed under performing visa players. But l see the Marquee as important a position as head coach and several coaches have been paid out.

CFG are just fixing up an obvious error. I just hope the next decision on a replacement is more successful. 

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Disagree slightly. A few other teams have removed under performing visa players. But l see the Marquee as important a position as head coach and several coaches have been paid out.

CFG are just fixing up an obvious error. I just hope the next decision on a replacement is more successful. 

They won't release Koren until they have a marquee or guest player signed 

Just now, jw1739 said:

Looks like the story has been pulled. Murf must have been the only one to see it - it's not been picked up by any other outlet or forum either as far as I can see.

Its either wrong or its in the news paper tomorrow as a big story and they usually dont put those articles on line until midnight.