Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

When Melb City v Man City played the commentators were saying how Koren had a disappointing season. With a full preseason injury free, if this guy does not perform in the first 5 games of the season he should be benched. Final straw!

Who were the commentators ? 

The big problem with Koren is that irrespective of his injuries he just does not look interested - and I am sure he isn't. This is where Mooy, Duff and others are so different and better. I don't expect him to do much this year. As a marquee we could do a hell of a lot better but I looks like we will have to wait until next year.

At least the guy is on the pitch and playing. More than can be said for certain others. Getting a little tired of everyone bagging him all the time TBH, especially when I've just seen one of the worst-ever missed sitters by a professional footballer ever.

Is the criticism not warranted though JW? I complete agree that people on here are very negative and critical most of the time but i believe this is an instance where the criticism of him is more then justified. Here we have a marquee player on the best wages on the team and he is clearly performing below what is expected for someone in his position.

But for me that's where the problem is. A marquee should be able to provide more than one moment of brilliance. It just isn't good enough. During the game on Saturday Koren seemed like he went missing for a lot of it besides his one moment of brilliance. Unfortunately I'm expecting no different come the start of the season but hoping like hell he will deliver so much more than he has so far. 

Most players go missing when they're up against  Yaya Toure...

At least the guy is on the pitch and playing. More than can be said for certain others. Getting a little tired of everyone bagging him all the time TBH, especially when I've just seen one of the worst-ever missed sitters by a professional footballer ever.

Different situation. That was from a fringe player, this is a guy who is supposed to be by far our best player and is supposed to turn matches and he plays like he is disinterested. He is on the pitch sure, but if he wassnt it wouldnt make much a difference at all and for a marquee player that is appauling

Is the criticism not warranted though JW? I complete agree that people on here are very negative and critical most of the time but i believe this is an instance where the criticism of him is more then justified. Here we have a marquee player on the best wages on the team and he is clearly performing below what is expected for someone in his position.

You're probably right. I think I was more venting my spleen a bit than anything else. Just not very enamoured by the club at the moment with what seems to be a continuous flow of bilge about Manchester City, nothing to get excited about on signings for Melbourne City in key positions that have been obvious gaps for months...down in the dumps a bit. Sorry.

• Like 1

was that game your first time ever watching Koren? Ain't an isolated incident

lol there's a difference between playing man city and other HAL teams.

You're just clouded from what happened last year. As i said before, he was ok on Saturday. He definitely showed more urgency which is hopefully the first step to a much better year.

Edited by rass

The thing people are forgetting is that he himself has publicly complained about not being played to the best of his abilities. For an experienced professional like Koren to have an outburst like that must mean he is pretty frustrated with the way he is being played. We see 'moments of brilliance', as people keep putting it, because he does have a lot of individual ability, but then he goes missing for large periods of time because he isn't fitting into the structure of the team. I know I'm like a broken record, but I really think he'd be 10 times the player if it wasn't for JVS.

Seriously how many players in this league can reproduce the things Koren does when he has one of these 'moments of brilliance'? The ability is 100% there, he didn't forget how to play football as soon as he touched down in Australia, the problem lies elsewhere.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 5

Well I've changed my analysis of Koren, as for better or worse we seem to be stuck with him.

We all know he's a marquee in name only, now I just want him to show enough to justify actually being on the field this coming season.  I thought he at least did that against Man City, which frankly, was a welcome change.  

And if I can add to that, it's the apparent lack of effort to perform at an expected level that is the most annoying part. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Were you replaying Ramsay's or Williams' highlights?

He's shaping up as the most critical player to our chances this season, as far as I'm concerned, and it's not even close.

I can't imagine any of the previous league winners having an international marquee put in as pedestrian a season as Koren did last year. So whatever needs to happen for him to step up his game, simply has to happen. Otherwise, I think we'll be making up the numbers again.

I agree- his form, and JVS' use of Koren could have a huge influence on our season. With the team we're putting together, imagine if Koren actually had a really good season!? We'd be a huge chance for silverware. In contrast, ( and if it's as I suspect) Koren has another average/below par season with the odd good moment, will JVS drop him to the bench?

Edited by tommac

I agree- his form, and JVS' use of Koren could have a huge influence on our season. With the team we're putting together, imagine if Koren actually had a really good season!? We'd be a huge chance for silverware. In contrast, ( and if it's as I suspect) Koren has another average/below par season with the odd good moment, will JVS drop him to the bench?

I can't imagine the powers at CFG would allow that to happen. They don't like admitting they made a mistake and allowing 'their' marque to be benched would be an admission of error. 

I can't imagine the powers at CFG would allow that to happen. They don't like admitting they made a mistake and allowing 'their' marque to be benched would be an admission of error. 

Wouldn't you rather admit the error and try and salvage the season by replacing him with someone who'll add to the team? Keeping him in the starting XI just because he's the marquee would be like throwing the entire season away, which is just stupid IMO. 

Of course this is all assuming he plays as badly as last season, which I'm hoping he won't, 

Wouldn't you rather admit the error and try and salvage the season by replacing him with someone who'll add to the team? Keeping him in the starting XI just because he's the marquee would be like throwing the entire season away, which is just stupid IMO. 

Of course this is all assuming he plays as badly as last season, which I'm hoping he won't, 

Yes, that sort of bloody mindedness and refusal to admit an error is the sort of thinking that kept Aloisi lingering around like a stale fart for 6-10 more games than he should have been. Assuming Koren doesn't improve, of course.

• Like 1

I would admit error but football, money and big egos are often a bad match. Maybe if I had that sort of money I'd be blinded by ego too.

every effort should've been made to move Koren on during the off season. He would've been highly sought after by many English Championship clubs for his past performances. Not sure why it didn't happen.

Perhaps we did make the effort but no-one was interested. In our five seasons of existence, how many players have we actually paid to leave? I can't think of one. We have successfully found other homes for several - Maycon, Kalmar, Redmayne, Hoffman (have there been others - I can't remember) - but actually paying someone to leave - I don't think so. It's easy to tell other people to do with their money, but if Koren is on his reputed $600,000 then although that is pocket money for S. Mansour it's a big item on the bottom line for Melbourne City.

Koren will stay, let's hope with better players around him we will see him in a better light, and at the end of the day CFG will have learned further about the A-League and our coaching staff and what it takes to build a really good side.

Yes, Koren played shocking last season, but IMO, since he was being played out of position it affected his morale, if he is played in the right position this season and doesnt get injured, with Mooy (considering he stays) to take a bit of pressure off him, and novillo and Gameiro up front, think he'll shine.

Mooy supporting him, with help from Novillo and Gamerio, So you're suggesting false 9? Pretty sure that's not good for his morale. 

The group of midfielders is the same as last season. So how's he going to get his preferred position back to boost his morale (weak excuse, for a lacklustre season, makes him sound like a real precious cunt) when Mooy, Melling and even Germano are preferred over him. Absolute let down as marquee and at 35, a marquee standard season is probably not ahead of him. Hopefully he can be a decent role player though and provide some touches of class now and then like last season. 

Mooy supporting him, with help from Novillo and Gamerio, So you're suggesting false 9? Pretty sure that's not good for his morale. 

The group of midfielders is the same as last season. So how's he going to get his preferred position back to boost his morale (weak excuse, for a lacklustre season, makes him sound like a real precious cunt) when Mooy, Melling and even Germano are preferred over him. Absolute let down as marquee and at 35, a marquee standard season is probably not ahead of him. Hopefully he can be a decent role player though and provide some touches of class now and then like last season. 

No, I'm not suggesting a false 9.. mooy supporting him meaning to help with the playmaker role that he is meant to be, and with the chances Novillo and Gameiro will create unlike Kennedy is what I meant.

Perhaps we did make the effort but no-one was interested. In our five seasons of existence, how many players have we actually paid to leave? I can't think of one. We have successfully found other homes for several - Maycon, Kalmar, Redmayne, Hoffman (have there been others - I can't remember) - but actually paying someone to leave - I don't think so. It's easy to tell other people to do with their money, but if Koren is on his reputed $600,000 then although that is pocket money for S. Mansour it's a big item on the bottom line for Melbourne City.

Koren will stay, let's hope with better players around him we will see him in a better light, and at the end of the day CFG will have learned further about the A-League and our coaching staff and what it takes to build a really good side.

gol gol

• 4 weeks later...