Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Inb4 Chelsea lose to Sydney.

I wonder if Parrot will mention West ham losing to the Nix and Sydney?

Lol. Of course as you have a predetermined view, these games can only be lose - lose for A League teams. If the A League team wins it's because "it's only a practise game."

If the A League team loses it's "I told you so. A League clubs are shit compared to these teams." It's nice and comfortable when no matter what the result YOU are right! rofl.

I watch plenty of EPL and Championship games. The best A League clubs would comfortably match it with most Championship teams and with their best 11 be very competitive against the lower EPL teams.

Send a team over to Perth in the heat and see what happens. I bet you for starters the pace of their game will be nothing like in England.

The major issue of course apart from our pathetic salary cap is squad depth -  another FFA mandated decision to stop clubs becoming too good by forcing them to have small squads which means injuries and plenty of games, not to mention our heat, can have a much bigger effect.  

I am sorry but you are wrong!

Most A League teams would struggle in League 2

Of course there are players who could play higher, but the teams themselves would struggle.

If you look at Tom Rogic, he has struggled at Celtic. The SPL is probably between Championship and League 1 level. Of course Rogic has had injuries, but before them he was struggling to make an impact at Celtic.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

League Two is absolute crap football.

You use the example of Rogic. When he came here on loan he also struggled badly with Melbourne Victory.

The point you miss is that they are more professional in their attitude and organisation.

The A League teams would struggle physically and at set pieces.

There are just as many speedy players in the lower leagues in England as there is in the A League

The football is far from crap. It may be more route one in most teams, but there are plenty of players with ability at that level.

I would say only the Victards and Adelaide would be able to compete at a higher level than League 2 at this moment.

having players with ability is one thing. Being well organised, playing something more sophisticated than route 1 and playing as a unit is something altogether different.

You didn't see them but Postecogou (the same guy who just drew 2-2 with Germany in  Germany) Brisbane side and Arnold's Mariners in particular would be competitive at lower Championship, let alone League 2.

I watched Arnold's Mariners against The Tards, one of Rogic's last games before he went to Celtic, and the team organisation was like watching a choreographed ballet.  Rogic murdered them that night.

I think it was Arnold who was approached by a Championship club, and he said basically their tactical sophistications was in the dark ages.  They wanted a manager who was more or less a motivator

Lol. Of course as you have a predetermined view, these games can only be lose - lose for A League teams. If the A League team wins it's because "it's only a practise game."

If the A League team loses it's "I told you so. A League clubs are shit compared to these teams." It's nice and comfortable when no matter what the result YOU are right! rofl.

I watch plenty of EPL and Championship games. The best A League clubs would comfortably match it with most Championship teams and with their best 11 be very competitive against the lower EPL teams.

Send a team over to Perth in the heat and see what happens. I bet you for starters the pace of their game will be nothing like in England.

The major issue of course apart from our pathetic salary cap is squad depth -  another FFA mandated decision to stop clubs becoming too good by forcing them to have small squads which means injuries and plenty of games, not to mention our heat, can have a much bigger effect.  

Of course there are players who could play higher, but the teams themselves would struggle.

If you look at Tom Rogic, he has struggled at Celtic. The SPL is probably between Championship and League 1 level. Of course Rogic has had injuries, but before them he was struggling to make an impact at Celtic.

I saw Rogic in his first game for Celtic.

He was a class above about 3/4's of his team mates in terms of his on ball ability, his vision and decison-making  He had an assist where he beat 3 players out wide, cut back a perfectly directed and weighted pass that found its target through a congested penalty taking 3 defenders out, setting it up on a platter for his team mate to score.  he also had some cracking shots on goal.

I also saw a lot of mindless running up and down by his team mates-very quick it was but ultimately pointless, a lot of chipping over  his head,. I was surprised it wasn't a neck injury that sidelined him for all the back and forth and up and down his head was moving.

I went on the Celtic forum, and a few of them said that Rogic had that class about him, but would better suited to to the continent rather-and I quote-the "helter-skeleter of our playing style here".

The fact is Rogic's career has been seriously curtailed by injury.

Physically the top A-League teams would match pretty much every team in the SPL.  Technically, the SPL are ahead.  Tactically, the likes of Arnold, Popovic, even Merrick would have no problems matching and even out-coaching most of their coaches.

I am a Celtic fan and watch the games on Celtic TV

Rogic had one or two good games at the start, however he was far from a class above his team mates.

Of course injuries haven't helped him, but IMO I do not believe he is good enough for Celtic.

His main asset is his running power, but he lacks the finesse to really make it at a top league.

For me Miles Jedinak is a very good player and way ahead of Rogic, and that is why he is playing in the EPL.

I have already said individual players can and will make it at a higher level. However, the teams themselves would struggle as they are still some way behind in a lot of areas. 

I am not having a go at the A League, just being realistic about the standard.

Well there you go.

If your view is that his main asset is his running power is the prevailing view at Celtic, and Jedinak is a better player, then he SHOULD pack his bags and go.  Tom has go more talent in his right toe than Jedinak has in his entire body.

If you guys cannot see what his strengths are after so many years then he is lasting his time and Celtics.it would be best for all concerned.  Its what everyone in Australia said anyway.  

Are you sure you've got that right silva? I'd say his finesse is more of an asset than his running power. He's like a baby giraffe when he runs.

I am just giving my opinion of the few times I have seen him play.

Maybe he hasn't shown what he did in the A League.

I saw Rogic in his first game for Celtic.

He was a class above about 3/4's of his team mates in terms of his on ball ability, his vision and decison-making  He had an assist where he beat 3 players out wide, cut back a perfectly directed and weighted pass that found its target through a congested penalty taking 3 defenders out, setting it up on a platter for his team mate to score.  he also had some cracking shots on goal.

I also saw a lot of mindless running up and down by his team mates-very quick it was but ultimately pointless, a lot of chipping over  his head,. I was surprised it wasn't a neck injury that sidelined him for all the back and forth and up and down his head was moving.

I went on the Celtic forum, and a few of them said that Rogic had that class about him, but would better suited to to the continent rather-and I quote-the "helter-skeleter of our playing style here".

The fact is Rogic's career has been seriously curtailed by injury.

Physically the top A-League teams would match pretty much every team in the SPL.  Technically, the SPL are ahead.  Tactically, the likes of Arnold, Popovic, even Merrick would have no problems matching and even out-coaching most of their coaches.

I am a Celtic fan and watch the games on Celtic TV

Rogic had one or two good games at the start, however he was far from a class above his team mates.

Of course injuries haven't helped him, but IMO I do not believe he is good enough for Celtic.

His main asset is his running power, but he lacks the finesse to really make it at a top league.

For me Miles Jedinak is a very good player and way ahead of Rogic, and that is why he is playing in the EPL.

I have already said individual players can and will make it at a higher level. However, the teams themselves would struggle as they are still some way behind in a lot of areas. 

I am not having a go at the A League, just being realistic about the standard.

Well there you go.

If your view is that his main asset is his running power is the prevailing view at Celtic, and Jedinak is a better player, then he SHOULD pack his bags and go.  Tom has go more talent in his right toe than Jedinak has in his entire body.

If you guys cannot see what his strengths are after so many years then he is lasting his time and Celtics.it would be best for all concerned.  Its what everyone in Australia said anyway.  

I won't argue with you as you know both players better than me.

However, from what I have seen Jedinak is the better player. Maybe he is just the more hungrier of the two.

I believe Celtic have improved since Rogic joined, and would say he will be sub at best now. Also, I don't believe there are any Celtic midfielders good enough to play in the EPL, were Jedinak plays.

Just to get back on topic re: Koren

I disagree with Murfy he is finished and believe he would be capable at playing in the Championship if he goes back to England.

Having said that he has been woeful for Melbourne. I have no idea why, but it is probably best he leaves.

Well- I'll offer some backup here. Tom rogic will flourish in a different league.. He is an unbelievably talented footballer. And in absolutely no way is running power his main asset. He has the best first touch and close skills of any Australian player currently playing

• Like 1

Well- I'll offer some backup here. Tom rogic will flourish in a different league.. He is an unbelievably talented footballer. And in absolutely no way is running power his main asset. He has the best first touch and close skills of any Australian player currently playing

Well maybe Melbourne should be trying to sign him.

I will be very surprised to see him make it at Celtic now.

I guess a situation arises where for whatever reasons players just don't produce what they are capable of.

Lennon said he wanted Tom "to unlock defences". Not sure how Lennon expected him to do that with "hard running".

Another example was Matt McKay. Best on ground against Liverpool when playing for Rangers, Then dumped out of the club for an interview in 442 where he told the truth about the lack of tactical emphasis from his manager.

@Murpph.

No marquee is going to come here if he is told he will not be playing in his position or even not a guaranteed starter.

We bought Engelaar as a midfielder, and played him as a ................................midfielder.

The Tards bought Delpierre as a Cb and play him as a .......................CB

Sydney bught Janko as striker and play him as a .....................striker.

The issue is Mooy came to us with a promise to start as an AM that Popovic wouldn't give him.

You gave the example of the two DM's and Mooy as the AM.  How did JVS expect to fit both he and Koren in to the same role

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

I don't know what "promise" you're referring to. I've seen nothing like that reported.

With a 3 man midfield no single midfielder can afford to do zero defending, as Koren does. Only making 1 tackle every 2 games. That's why Koren gets shunted out to the LW or CF or RW positions.

Perhaps it was believed that Koren would provide enough class to make up for his limited defensive work (or it was assumed that he'd do just enough defensive legwork). Either way, with his work-rate Koren has not merited a spot in midfield in place of Melling or Germano.

A Paartalu, Mooy and Koren could maybe work, so there's no issue with there not being enough positions in midfield. But as stated above Koren's simply got to do a little defending, or provide enough attacking class to make up for his lack of defending. Either way he's failed, and Koren should be pleased he can make the starting XI at all and not sit on the bench.

Maybe there's an issue with Mooy and Koren being a bit incompatible, rather like Gerrard and Lampard often were for the England NT. If true, that couldn't really be foreseen. But I don't really believe that, and reckon that if they played regularly together a Paartalu, Mooy, Koren midfield could work. But of course each player would have to produce quality performances to justify their selection, and that gets back to the original critique of Koren: he's simply not good enough.

Also, for whatever it's worth, if the context of the season is actually remembered there were reasons why Koren was played at various times as a LW a CF and a RW. For example, Koren played as a CF for much of December and January because Villa left in November, Kennedy wouldn't be able to play until February and Williams was rubbish and didn't score between Nov 2014 and March 2015. 

At the end of the day I've watched all the games this season, and seen all of Koren's performance, and have found him very unconvincing all season (even in the handful of games he played in central midfield). I don't think he's got any more of an excuse than Dugandzic or other players have for under-performing this season. And like others have said, Koren overall has just shown a distinct lack of class this season not befitting of a marquee, and I don't expect him to get any better when he's 35 next season. So the powers that be should just call a loss a loss, and cut Koren loose before next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Just to get back on topic re: Koren

I disagree with Murfy he is finished and believe he would be capable at playing in the Championship if he goes back to England.

Having said that he has been woeful for Melbourne. I have no idea why, but it is probably best he leaves.

JVS

Lennon said he wanted Tom "to unlock defences". Not sure how Lennon expected him to do that with "hard running".

Another example was Matt McKay. Best on ground against Liverpool when playing for Rangers, Then dumped out of the club for an interview in 442 where he told the truth about the lack of tactical emphasis from his manager.

Well until he joined Celtic I had no knowledge of him.

I can only give an opinion on what I have seen.

The problem is he has had so little game time because of his injuries.

Fair enough, you call it as you see it, which I admire.

Having said that though, plenty of good judges (& a whole lot of bad ones!) see tommy as the most skilful player we have produced in many years. You can't really compare him to jedinak, that would be like comparing kisnorbo to duff.

Mooywas signed by WSW as  one of their first if not THE first players they had.  It was reported that a major Mooy left WSW was because he was not playing on his preferred AM role.  No way he would becoming to us to get the same as he did at WSW.

Secondly a MF trio of Koren Mooy and Paartalu would get cut up like a knife through butter.  Paartalu is too slow, lacks the endurance and lacks the agility to be the lone DM.  Mooy  does get stuck in, but when he feels like it and I wouldn't betting on him to out run anyone. Koren is even worse in defence.

I agree that he will probably go, but that might depend on JVS's future and Mooys' future (who might leave for greener pastures) 

IMO things are being over-thought. The question is simple:

Does anyone actually want Koren to be our international marquee next season? Has he been convincing enough to deserve Melbourne City's single international marquee spot?

I think the answer is pretty clear.

Fair enough, you call it as you see it, which I admire.

Having said that though, plenty of good judges (& a whole lot of bad ones!) see tommy as the most skilful player we have produced in many years. You can't really compare him to jedinak, that would be like comparing kisnorbo to duff.

Well then Jedinak has more about him to make the best for himself.

Let's get this straight. Rogic was struggling to get into the Celtic team before his injuries.

Put it this way, having seen Mooy for the first time this season, I would happily swap him for Rogic.

Does anyone actually want Koren to be our international marquee next season? Has he been convincing enough to deserve Melbourne City's single international marquee spot?

No.

But that applies to JVS as well.

Yes I think it is.

Also, JVS and Paartalu for me have to go.

I would give Kennedy another season.

The major issue of course apart from our pathetic salary cap is squad depth - another FFA mandated decision to stop clubs becoming too good by forcing them to have small squads which means injuries and plenty of games, not to mention our heat, can have a much bigger effect.

I'm sorry but you are wrong.

League Two is absolute crap football.

You use the example of Rogic. When he came here on loan he also struggled badly with Melbourne Victory.

The point you miss is that they are more professional in their attitude and organisation.

The A League teams would struggle physically and at set pieces.

There are just as many speedy players in the lower leagues in England as there is in the A League

The football is far from crap. It may be more route one in most teams, but there are plenty of players with ability at that level.

I would say only the Victards and Adelaide would be able to compete at a higher level than League 2 at this moment.

having players with ability is one thing. Being well organised, playing something more sophisticated than route 1 and playing as a unit is something altogether different.

You didn't see them but Postecogou (the same guy who just drew 2-2 with Germany in Germany) Brisbane side and Arnold's Mariners in particular would be competitive at lower Championship, let alone League 2.

I watched Arnold's Mariners against The Tards, one of Rogic's last games before he went to Celtic, and the team organisation was like watching a choreographed ballet. Rogic murdered them that night.

I think it was Arnold who was approached by a Championship club, and he said basically their tactical sophistications was in the dark ages. They wanted a manager who was more or less a motivator This is exactly the problem and why JVS must go. We have all been excited with some of our signings and we definitely have a competitive team (injuries apart). The one issue the team has is cohesiveness and tactics.

A coach must be able to take a group of players and motivate them AND design a game plan to suit them and to counter an oppositions strengths.

These people who are naturally good at their profession are (like any good manager) rare but they are out there and are what we need to succeed in this league. JVS is on the bottom of the spectrum.

Come on CFG use your scouts here.

In a way this thread regarding Koren comes back to the threads earlier in the season that the team lacks balance. When Mooy was out on international duties Koren became the AM and he didn't make a case as to why he should be the #1 choice for that spot. Now I don't know the ins and outs of how the team list is put together but JVS must bear the bulk of the responsibility for it. His man management can be questioned because he has not been able to settle the issue between Mooy and Koren.

Perhaps Koren is a quality player but for me was not the right player for City. I would prefer Mooy to remain ahead of Koren and most definitely I would prefer for JVS to depart.

• Like 1

Van’t Schip also defended his use of Robert Koren in a range of roles, but said that he had played midfield more than had been suggested.

“Our preference has always been that (to play midfield). Of course we know he’s a midfield player and we got him for that role and if and when we can, we will play him in that role,’’ he said.

At http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-finals-melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-urges-his-players-to-embrace-pressure-of-match-against-wellington/story-e6frf4gl-1227331155294

My comment:
It seems to me that we have a difference of opinion just before an important final between Manager and player being played out in public.  
This means at least one of them has to go imo.

• Like 1

Time for marquee man Robert Koren to show Melbourne City the way

May 3, 2015 

Michael Lynch

Wellington Finals, with their increased pressure and greater intensity, are different.

Some players crumble under the weight of expectation, while others, including hitherto lesser lights, step up and play a leading role, in some cases establishing a reputation that   launches their career.

In such games it is a team's marquee player who is expected to produce the goods, to deliver a top level performance and lead his team.

Melbourne City's marquee man Robbie Koren lacks nothing in experience and should relish the big stage of finals given his background and playing achievements.

The attacking midfielder spent several years in the English Premier League with West Bromwich Albion and Hull City and also captained his country, Slovenia, at the 2010 World Cup.

City coach John van 't Schip earlier this year talked up Koren and said he had a big role to play if the Manchester City-owned team was to make an impression at the business end of the season.

Koren has helped City make the playoffs, but his impact has not been that which might be expected of a man of his experience and status.

He missed the first half of the season through injury and only really came into the picture towards the turn of the year.

While he has produced a few high-quality cameos and some good moments, he has yet to grab a game by the scruff of the neck and really impose himself upon it – not in the way that the club's last marquee player, another injury-plagued veteran, Orlando Engelaar, did last year.

Engelaar broke a leg and missed the first half of the 2013-14 season when the then Melbourne Heart could not win a game. When he returned the lanky Dutchman sparked an unlikely revival and for a few heady weeks looked as though he could fire his side to what would have been a remarkable finals berth.

That run faded, but Engelaar's impact remains in the memory. Koren has not made the same impression.

The Slovenian has complained that he has been played out of position, and it is true that he has been used as a striker on a number of occasions, rather than the attacking midfield role he favours.

But van 't Schip used him there to counter several injury problems his team faced, either playing him centrally or giving him a free role on the left allowing him to range inside if he wished.

A player of Koren's class and ability should, at a level such as the A-League, be able to adapt and shine in any of those positions.

If City is to succeed on Sunday he will need to lift his game and help inspire his teammates, who have had two 0-0 draws with Wellington in the latter part of the season following a 5-1 thumping in New Zealand earlier in the year.

City arrived in New Zealand on Saturday afternoon and went straight from the airport to a training session at the Newtown Park Stadium in a bid to shake out any stiffness and replicate the cool conditions  they will likely encounter  on Sunday when they face Wellington in a game that kicks off at 7pm local time (5pm AEST).

Captain Patrick Kisnorbo cited that earlier heavy loss in Wellington in the first half of the season as a fork in the road for his team.

"There is a different vibe about finals football. We are here to do a job," Kisnorbo said. "They are a great attacking team and they have proved that all year.

After that bad result here early in the season we sat down and had a good look at ourselves. It was that point of the season where we had to decide whether we went backwards or forwards. From there we developed a consistency and belief in the players and the team."

Results picked up from that point on, but City are still a side characterised more by their inconsistency than reliability. Having been hammered in their last two away matches they will be hoping to bounce back in the most unexpected of ways.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/time-for-marquee-man-robert-koren-to-show-melbourne-city-the-way-20150502-1myhn7.html

Apart from the "The attacking midfielder spent several years in the English Premier League" comment, it's a very agreeable piece by Michael Lynch. The most accurate piece Lynch has written about Melbourne City in a while

but how dare he call Orlando lanky!

• Like 1

If Williams had half a football brain we would be crediting Koren for a slide-rule pass assist only a few minutes into the game.

Was a great ball only to be butchered by a clumsy first touch, he nearly tripped over it.

Overall Koren deserved to play but wasn't dominant only need to look at Bonavacia for a comparison. Improvement nonetheless and maybe a turn for the better, possibly he and Mooy and JVS have worked on things?

I thought Koren was much better today.

Was involved in a lot of our attacking play and whilst he still wasn't as clean and as clinical as is perhaps expected of him, it was a good performance. Chipped in with some good tackles here and there too although his workrate really does leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by Nate