Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

Is the game going to be televised, or streamed online?

The FFA Cup page on Facebook explicitly mentioned details regarding broadcasting and online streaming will be announced soon, good to hear that there will be online streaming at the very least.

• Like 1

There will be a minimum of 10 matches broadcast on Fox Sports. One of which will be a Round of 32 match, two will be from the Round of 16 matches, and all matches from the Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and the FFA Cup Final. Fox Sports may also choose to broadcast additional FFA Cup matches from the Round of 32. All broadcast matches will kick off at 19:30 (AEST).[14] FFA Cup draws from the Round of 32 onwards will also be televised live on Fox

These are minimum. They have already nominated the round of 32 match which I can't remember which one.

Since we are playing Sydney and they are away...there is a fair chance they will televise it. Considering this will be the first official match as 'Melbourne City'

Edited by Dylan

Duff is expected to play.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2421607/ffa-cup-duff-to-line-up-for-melbourne-city-against-sydney-fc-in-ballarat/?cs=63

From the article

"Manchester City's national youth league coach Joe Palatsides said the club would be throwing everything into the cup tie."

Good to see we're taking this comp seriously. Hopefully that means we can get our marquee settled before this game.

• Like 1

Duff is expected to play.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2421607/ffa-cup-duff-to-line-up-for-melbourne-city-against-sydney-fc-in-ballarat/?cs=63

From the article

"Manchester City's national youth league coach Joe Palatsides said the club would be throwing everything into the cup tie."

Good to see we're taking this comp seriously. Hopefully that means we can get our marquee settled before this game.

...and so it begins

First of all, it should be clarified that this venue choice is a club decision, not an FFA decision, which can be discerned with Scott Munn making the announcement today and saying "We’re delighted to return to Ballarat for this match; the Council has been extremely accommodating - and what better way to reaffirm our commitment to the broader Victorian community than to play our inaugural FFA Cup match here,” Munn said." (Also this was reported, further proving it was a club decision: "Melbourne City chief executive officer Scott Munn said the club's coaching staff had provided the impetus to play its FFA Cup opener in Ballarat").

Reasons why picking Ballarat is a terrible decision:

- The club has just rebranded, and has called itself 'Melbourne City'. Melbourne City. The club already played its first non-competitive match outside of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne, in Ballarat against the Red Devils of course, and now it's going to play its first competitive match outside of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne (and we'll be playing in Ballrat again). From the angle of establishing a club identity, a club location and building a supporter base, nothing about this decision makes an iota of sense.

- We've already played a match in Ballarat, so why play there again? Out of every area in Victoria (including Melbourne), why is Ballarat being so prioritised?

- Ballarat already had a chance to play in the FFA Cup with the Red Devils. So if there's Round of 32 FFA Cup in Ballarat it should be because the Ballarat team progressed to the Round of 32

- Even though due to circumstances a match in Melbourne (including at AAMI) wouldn't have drawn a massive crowd, that crowd would still have been many times bigger than the crowd that will be drawn in Ballarat on August 12

- If the match was in Melbourne actual prospective supporters and members would be attracted to our club. Whereas in Ballarat this will likely be a once-off occasion of football for the majority of people who attend, just like when we played in Morwell (and arguably Albury-Wodonga) and our membership didn't increase significantly 

- For those people crazy enough to have supported this club prior to the club's name change (and who live in Melbourne), the club really isn't rewarding their loyalty by playing this Tuesday match outside of Melbourne. For practical reasons alone, many loyal supporters won't be able to go along and enjoy this match. Supporters who have stuck by this club have got incredibly little reward for their loyalty, and this decision to not reward loyal Melburnian supporters makes these supporters (myself included) seem all the crazier      

However, after thinking the decision over, I might get why the club picked Ballarat. I think these are the reasons:

- The club want the first match at AAMI Park to have a really bumper crowd, and the club only believe they can draw such a big crowd with David Villa and the rest of our squad being fully assembled, which will be the case in Round 2 when we play Newcastle on the 19th of October

- The crowd isn't important. This is a pre-season match and match conditions like the quality of the actual pitch take precedence over any concerns supporters might have. This is why JVS saying the pitch is what he wants (and we did smash the Red Devils 6-0 playing on this surface) is so important. The hope will be that the team can continue to progress in pre-season playing on this surface, and can beat Sydney FC along the way. It's all about the pre-season

- This venue won't suit Sydney. They'll have to fly in to Melbourne, then travel out to Ballarat and set up camp, and then play at a venue new to them. Whereas given we've already played there there will be a small advantage for us, being familiar to it all, and as said the pitch could help our football and who knows could help us prevail in this match 

I still think it's a bad decision, because this really doesn't help the identity & promotion of our club, of 'Melbourne City FC', and because overall it won't help the club gain as much supporters & members as the club would have if we played in Melbourne, and finally because it's another disservice to supporters that have stuck by this club though thick and thin (and as we know, it's mostly been thin), and the idea of travelling a few hours to watch David Williams play as our striker on a chilly Tuesday night in Ballarat can fairly prompt a supporter to ask 'why do I bother?'.

Nonetheless, hopefully the club is serious about winning the match, as Palatsides suggests above (even though the club hasn't been serious about hosting the match at a big venue, and strengthening our membership numbers overall). And hopefully the team keeps ticking along in pre-season, and uses this match to further progress in pre-season, so the club is ready to fire on all cylinders come A-League Round 1 on October 11 when we play Sydney.  

• Like 5

While i am all for a Football roadshow around the state of Victoria - it should be limited to Friendlies ... IMO

FFACUP = that means it has to be decided on the day right? - so extra time a possibility 

I travel from Moorabbin to Ballarat regularly for work - it is 2 hr drive give or take a few mins - so home about midnight then !!

This game should have been played on the outer suburbs, Epping for example - surely there is a better option of a ground with Floodlights than Ballarat 

Ballarat !! - even the locals tell me they are only there for work = Jees :(

First of all, it should be clarified that this venue choice is a club decision, not an FFA decision, which can be discerned with Scott Munn making the announcement today and saying "We’re delighted to return to Ballarat for this match; the Council has been extremely accommodating - and what better way to reaffirm our commitment to the broader Victorian community than to play our inaugural FFA Cup match here,” Munn said." (Also this was reported, further proving it was a club decision: "Melbourne City chief executive officer Scott Munn said the club's coaching staff had provided the impetus to play its FFA Cup opener in Ballarat").

Strongly disagree with what you've said here. The club has at no stage said they weren't forced to go regional/suburban, and if you look across the board you will notice that the other all A-League clashes are in suburban venues as well. Why wouldn't Munn come out and say 'Well FFA told us we had to play here" you ask? Because that's hardly going to create any goodwill with the residents of Ballarat. They will want to believe that City are going out of their way to bring the game to them.

JVS probably already knew they had to go regional for the FFA Cup and was so impressed by what they saw a month ago that he requested that City play in Ballarat as it was the next best alternative to AAMI Park. 

Reasons why picking Ballarat is a terrible decision:

- The club has just rebranded, and has called itself 'Melbourne City'. Melbourne City. The club already played its first non-competitive match outside of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne, in Ballarat against the Red Devils of course, and now it's going to play its first competitive match outside of Melbourne and the City of Melbourne (and we'll be playing in Ballrat again). From the angle of establishing a club identity, a club location and building a supporter base, nothing about this decision makes an iota of sense.

Again, I beleive this is an FFA directive to play all early round FFA Cup games at grassroots venues. Im guessing the club was able to choose where, but it had to be approved.

- We've already played a match in Ballarat, so why play there again? Out of every area in Victoria (including Melbourne), why is Ballarat being so prioritised?

IMO, because FFV went out on a limb to include Ballarat in the NPL. The Red Devils were a struggling State League 2 team so definatly didnt make the NPL on ability, rather the FFV wanted to have the state's 3rd biggest city involved in the comp on the basis of growing the game in a key area. A game like this is a big free kick for the popularity of football in an area which very AFL dominated. It would make sense to reinforce your investment in this area.

- Ballarat already had a chance to play in the FFA Cup with the Red Devils. So if there's Round of 32 FFA Cup in Ballarat it should be because the Ballarat team progressed to the Round of 32

- Even though due to circumstances a match in Melbourne (including at AAMI) wouldn't have drawn a massive crowd, that crowd would still have been many times bigger than the crowd that will be drawn in Ballarat on August 12

I think that City would be hopeful of a crowd of at least 3,000 in Ballarat. Approx 1,100 turned out for the friendly, and I think the fact that is is a serious fixture against A League opposition in Sydney they will be hoping for a pretty good turn out. Compare that to what would have been between 5-9000 at AAMI. 

- If the match was in Melbourne actual prospective supporters and members would be attracted to our club. Whereas in Ballarat this will likely be a once-off occasion of football for the majority of people who attend, just like when we played in Morwell (and arguably Albury-Wodonga) and our membership didn't increase significantly 

These people will turn up to our first home game regardless.

- For those people crazy enough to have supported this club prior to the club's name change (and who live in Melbourne), the club really isn't rewarding their loyalty by playing this Tuesday match outside of Melbourne. For practical reasons alone, many loyal supporters won't be able to go along and enjoy this match. Supporters who have stuck by this club have got incredibly little reward for their loyalty, and this decision to not reward loyal Melburnian supporters makes these supporters (myself included) seem all the crazier      

However, after thinking the decision over, I might get why the club picked Ballarat. I think these are the reasons:

- The club want the first match at AAMI Park to have a really bumper crowd, and the club only believe they can draw such a big crowd with David Villa and the rest of our squad being fully assembled, which will be the case in Round 2 when we play Newcastle on the 19th of October

Agree with this

- The crowd isn't important. This is a pre-season match and match conditions like the quality of the actual pitch take precedence over any concerns supporters might have. This is why JVS saying the pitch is what he wants (and we did smash the Red Devils 6-0 playing on this surface) is so important. The hope will be that the team can continue to progress in pre-season playing on this surface, and can beat Sydney FC along the way. It's all about the pre-season

Disagree, as above. I think we'll be taking this quite seriously. It's possible we could have our marquee here by then too.

- This venue won't suit Sydney. They'll have to fly in to Melbourne, then travel out to Ballarat and set up camp, and then play at a venue new to them. Whereas given we've already played there there will be a small advantage for us, being familiar to it all, and as said the pitch could help our football and who knows could help us prevail in this match 

True, but I doubt whether that would have had any impact on the decision.

I still think it's a bad decision, because this really doesn't help the identity & promotion of our club, of 'Melbourne City FC', and because overall it won't help the club gain as much supporters & members as the club would have if we played in Melbourne, and finally because it's another disservice to supporters that have stuck by this club though thick and thin (and as we know, it's mostly been thin), and the idea of travelling a few hours to watch David Williams play as our striker on a chilly Tuesday night in Ballarat can fairly prompt a supporter to ask 'why do I bother?'.

People travel from all around the state to come to Melbourne and watch us week in, week out. People travel from Albury, Mornington, Geelong, Warrnambool to get to Melbourne, I just dont think a little bit of travel is a big deal. I get that it will be tricky being a Tuesday night for some people and they won't attend, but thats up to them. I won't think any less of them.

Nonetheless, hopefully the club is serious about winning the match, as Palatsides suggests above (even though the club hasn't been serious about hosting the match at a big venue, and strengthening our membership numbers overall). And hopefully the team keeps ticking along in pre-season, and uses this match to further progress in pre-season, so the club is ready to fire on all cylinders come A-League Round 1 on October 11 when we play Sydney.  

To be clear, I still think it should have been at AAMI for obvious reasons. But i also understand what FFA are trying to do with this competition and that drumming up interest from grassroots level needs to be achieved first, rather than letting A League teams flog the lesser teams on their own patch. The community will be drawn by seeing the big guns on their home patch, especially if there is an upset, interest will be sparked and then once that is in everyone's mind the 'magic of the cup' will come. I just don't think you can manufacture the Cup as a great thing without investing a bit of time and effort into it.

I think in a few years time once the Cup has become a regular part of our sporting landscape, the pot system will be scrapped and it will be a proper draw. We just have a period of nurturing to get through before then.

• Like 1

Strongly disagree with what you've said here. The club has at no stage said they weren't forced to go regional/suburban, and if you look across the board you will notice that the other all A-League clashes are in suburban venues as well. Why wouldn't Munn come out and say 'Well FFA told us we had to play here" you ask? Because that's hardly going to create any goodwill with the residents of Ballarat. They will want to believe that City are going out of their way to bring the game to them.

JVS probably already knew they had to go regional for the FFA Cup and was so impressed by what they saw a month ago that he requested that City play in Ballarat as it was the next best alternative to AAMI Park.

There's actually zero evidence that clubs were forced by the FFA to play outside of their regular stadiums. Adelaide aren't playing at Hindmarsh Stadium because that stadium is under construction and they literally can't play there. The only other A-League team hosting a round of 32 match is the Newcastle Jets, and the fact that they are playing probably the least glamorous of teams, Perth Glory, on a Tuesday in pre-season might well simply explain why they aren't playing at home. Also, Newcastle is a club that probably can't afford to spend much (and certainly they wouldn't want to spend much when they don't have to), whereas we don't have those concerns.

Part of the magic of a cup tournament like this is actually the smaller NPL teams travelling to play against their bigger A-League opponents at A-League stadia (the same is true with the FA Cup). And I vaguely remember officials who spoke about the FFA Cup referring to this, that there will be David versus Goliath matches at A-League stadia.

So as far as I can see, there is no evidence to prove that the club's hand was forced by the FFA, and I believe the club decided to play this match at Ballarat for the reasons I outlined above. If you believe the FFA is working behind the scenes to orchestrate this Cup to be a largely regional tournament then that's your prerogative, and I get that perspective, but I won't believe it unless more facts are bought to bear, so we might have to agree to disagree.  

There's actually zero evidence that clubs were forced by the FFA to play outside of their regular stadiums. Adelaide aren't playing at Hindmarsh Stadium because that stadium is under construction and they literally can't play there. The only other A-League team hosting a round of 32 match is the Newcastle Jets, and the fact that they are playing probably the least glamorous of teams, Perth Glory, on a Tuesday in pre-season might well simply explain why they aren't playing at home. Also, Newcastle is a club that probably can't afford to spend much (and certainly they wouldn't want to spend much when they don't have to), whereas we don't have those concerns.

Part of the magic of a cup tournament like this is actually the smaller NPL teams travelling to play against their bigger A-League opponents at A-League stadia (the same is true with the FA Cup). And I vaguely remember officials who spoke about the FFA Cup referring to this, that there will be David versus Goliath matches at A-League stadia.

So as far as I can see, there is no evidence to prove that the club's hand was forced by the FFA, and I believe the club decided to play this match at Ballarat for the reasons I outlined above. If you believe the FFA is working behind the scenes to orchestrate this Cup to be a largely regional tournament then that's your prerogative, and I get that perspective, but I won't believe it unless more facts are bought to bear, so we might have to agree to disagree.  

I agree with you by and large, I definatly don't think the FFA are trying to create a regional tournament. However I do belive they are walking before they run in terms of ensuring that this is a hit with the regional/suburban clubs. This isnt England when even the small clubs will have large followings. If  Ballarat were to play at AAMI for instance Im sure the players and coaches would be absolutely pumped about it, but I can tell you for an absolute fact that you would draw bugger all casual supporters from Ballarat down to Melbourne. 

They need to plant the seed first before it can grow, and in two years time when we'vce got a thriving competition that is well and truly on the national sporting landscape, not just within the clubs, you might get people that are aware of the tournament travelling with their local side.

It wasn't a club decision from what I could gather from my dealings with the club Murf.

They were probably told to 'sell it' by the FFA. 

Its quite clear the major reason behind the FFA cup (perhaps in these early years) is to energize the leagues below the a-league, so they become stronger and start to produce better talent etc etc. TBH I could not care less about these arguments said above about how it should be in Melbourne, we are Melbourne City we should be focusing on the city of Melbourne first etc etc. If the reason behind the FFA is trying to push the comp towards the lower clubs, is what I said above, then I say fine, we have the whole season to focus on Melbourne. FWIW I bet Ballarat spent a lot of time lobbying the FFA to get this decision...

We had the same arguments (along with the weather) last year about Albury and more people turned up than what we got at our home games in Melbourne last season. 

Edited by Dylan

I'll be going to this match regardless of where it's played, so it's not like I'm overly fussed about the location for my own sake. I just really think it would have been ideal for Melbourne City FC to play its first competitive match in Melbourne, and the City of Melbourne. And I reckon it would have been better to grow the club's supporter base to have this game in Melbourne, and whilst I like the idea of the club playing some regional matches, I doubt that they significantly improve the club's membership numbers, and think they are more of a once-off for the regional cities/towns where the games are hosted.

I can only go off all the available facts and evidence with regards to who made this decision, and I have no pretensions to being ITK. And my reasoning and judgement was made in the lengthy above post, and I won't repeat it here.

Anyway what's done is done. Hopefully the team keep progressing in pre-season, and hopefully the match circumstances help us prevail over Sydney FC on August 12th, and I personally will be looking forward to checking out this new Ballarat stadium for the first time.  

• Like 2

I agree with you by and large, I definatly don't think the FFA are trying to create a regional tournament. However I do belive they are walking before they run in terms of ensuring that this is a hit with the regional/suburban clubs. This isnt England when even the small clubs will have large followings. If Ballarat were to play at AAMI for instance Im sure the players and coaches would be absolutely pumped about it, but I can tell you for an absolute fact that you would draw bugger all casual supporters from Ballarat down to Melbourne.

They need to plant the seed first before it can grow, and in two years time when we'vce got a thriving competition that is well and truly on the national sporting landscape, not just within the clubs, you might get people that are aware of the tournament travelling with their local side.

I would agree with you 100% if we were playing ballarat. But we are playing sydney. Whilst I don't agree with it, I do understand state league clubs getting the home games, but that is different to making two A-league clubs play somewhere they both have no real connection to.

• Like 3

I don't care if it "Wasn't a club decision" or if AAMI Park was going to be too expensive or too much of a hassle or too empty for the game to be there.
the thing that gets me annoyed is that at the moment there is no pre-season game (correct me if im wrong) being played actually in the city of melbourne.  as much as playing this game in Ballarat can "grow our club" or whatever people are saying, my question is how many ballarat locals will actually jump on board city and come to many games if any?? what's the harm in having the game in MELBOURNE? it doesn't have to be AAMI but there are so many other places better then Ballarat???

as much as the new city ownership and David Villa, Damien Duff etc... will help grow our crowd and membership numbers, personally id love to go to an FFA Cup match but if its held in ballarat I just cant. 

giving city fans a taste of what's to come in the upcoming season is the best thing to get them to attend games during the season, but having no games actually in Melbourne or in areas were most city fans live may anger many fans and may put them off buying a membership, whereas having the game against sydney actually in Melbourne would see more people attend the match and could help grow membership numbers.

So IMO, poor planning, and this new FFA Cup doesn't seem to be as hyped up as I thought it would be.....

and finally if this game isnt televised or stream-able online im going to flip :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I would agree with you 100% if we were playing ballarat. But we are playing sydney. Whilst I don't agree with it, I do understand state league clubs getting the home games, but that is different to making two A-league clubs play somewhere they both have no real connection to.

As above, I still think given the situation that AAMI would be better to host this game.

I'm jut saying I understand why they have made the decision they have. Ballarat and the FFA Cup will be better off football wise in terms of generating widespread interest in the cup by having City play Sydney than if it was Red Devils v Marconi for example.

well I can tell you that there is already over 50 members of cove coming so we need to make sure we take this serious we cant be out sung

Lets get ourselves organised asap, scarves ready by then, banners made, chants being made and a well disciplined active support out singing the rival fans being there so lets hope all that gets sorted asap!

dont understand why people are getting soooooooooooooooo pissed off that the game is out of Melbourne.

by all means, playing games in Melbourne to go with the need to get the rebranding component out and about in Melbourne is something that important. totally understand that as a factor that should play a feature of any decision.

personally, the game probably should be in Melbourne / at AAMI as it gives the club a great opportunity to open the FFA Cup with a bumper crowd.

but to make the regional element the main point of frustration (or at least that it comes across as) seems against what other factors the club should consider.

come October when the season starts proper, very few will give two shits where and when the team has played since the vast will see all the lead up as a preseason (of which for most this would include FFA Cup games).

the amount of air time that has been given to the team immediately prior to each season in the past and the extra marketing drive that will be added by the club ( given to the rebranding) will help build the club in Melbourne.

for me more than anything, this game only has significance in terms of where we play since we actually drew a fellow A League side.

if this had been a state side, i doubt that most on here would be as pissed off as they are since we drew Sydney.

in any case, perhaps many on here dont get what its like to follow an A League team while living in a regional area - yet it is something that many of you should.

the time, the travel, the associated costs, etc., makes it all a long day out each and every time you go to a home game. for those of you residing in Melbourne that think this game is just that bit too far away given family commitments, etc. - just remember us regional members go through that every time the team plays in Melbourne. sure, we choose to follow, but the fact we go through this every second week should indicate the odd "home" game you have to travel isnt that bad in comparison. For something so early in preseason I wouldnt think this is the worst thing in the world

the fact that it is something that can target areas around Ballarat (along with only being an hour or so from both Geelong and Bendigo) should help bolster both good will and supp in Western Victoria.

as far as i'm concerned, bt50 hit the proverbial nail on the head - if the club wants grow support in regional areas (particularly regional areas in Victoria), it must be willing to show that it actually cares about those regional areas.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 5

For those who live in Ballarat or drove up to the game last time, where can you park?

FFAcup.png

There's plenty of parking at the ground.

I understand that but Im also concerned as this game will attract a lot more people than that friendly

FWIW the ground is in a pretty suburban area.  there will be plenty of off street parking within a five minute walk (no different really to parking at AAMI) if need be.

Edited by mattyh001

As someone who until recently lived in Ballarat I think this is a clever move by the club. Ballarat is an untapped market for supporters. It is close enough to Melbourne to easily catch the train down for matches but neither heart or the other team had until this point made any real effort to attract support, apart from a couple of token friendlies, and as such most people I know have not made any real commitment to either team. I agree that it's a shame that city's first competitive match will be outside of Melbourne, but I think that it will work out for the best if it creates a connection with a sizeable and growing town just 70 minutes down the road. 

No need to worry about parking either, Ballarat on a Tuesday night isn't exactly busy.

Totally forgot I did this until earlier tonight but here is a time-lapse of my drive from McKinnon to Ballarat for the friendly a few weeks back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzT0zyX88Mk&feature=youtu.be

Also, for what it's worth I don't mind that the game is out that way. I think it would be advantageous for us as we've played there before and the away support should be minimal because of its location. If we can get a solid group out there to support I think it would really benefit us in the match.

Edited by recyclosaurusrex
  • Like 1