Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was looking at these to try and work out who we play if we go through to the next round. I see we are either 10 or 12 in the RO16 and will play either 11 or 13. Is there any way of working out who they are. Or atleast limit it down based on dates?

My interpretation of the second image is that the winners of the first round simply get thrown into a pot again and essentially you just get drawn at random to determine your opponent. A league clubs are in Pot A and the rest are in Pot B. 

So I think it's all random, with no way of knowing who you'll play should you make it to the next round. 

Hopefully one of the top 4 HAL sides gets beaten, it will mean we have an 80% chance of playing a state side, if we win this fixture...

Also sets up an extra HAL v state league side game.

Hopefully next year it's completely random, and without the Asian cup, there could be the opportunity to add one more round (64 teams)

Is it subsidised by ffa for state league teams to travel?

Would be hard for many clubs to afford to travel interstate if there was another round one would think

Travel costs would be offset by the prize money they won from getting through the previous round, surely?

Is it subsidised by ffa for state league teams to travel?

Would be hard for many clubs to afford to travel interstate if there was another round one would think

yes, the sponsorship money is being used to fund the travel for the state clubs

Ballarat would be fantastic, looking beyond all the symbolism of the first competitive match under the City name, the Ballarat pitch is top notch and the city needs to prove it can host top level teams in top level fixtures before it hosts an Asian Cup training base in the summer. We spent millions on the complex here, and like many have said before; on a Tuesday night during the AFL season, without Villa and potential others it would never have cracked 10k anyway. It's not like there are Albury or Morwell games during the season proper this year either, if the match is in Ballarat (and who knows just yet?) come along and have a great night out.

Ballarat would be fantastic, looking beyond all the symbolism of the first competitive match under the City name, the Ballarat pitch is top notch and the city needs to prove it can host top level teams in top level fixtures before it hosts an Asian Cup training base in the summer. We spent millions on the complex here, and like many have said before; on a Tuesday night during the AFL season, without Villa and potential others it would never have cracked 10k anyway. It's not like there are Albury or Morwell games during the season proper this year either, if the match is in Ballarat (and who knows just yet?) come along and have a great night out.

I'd be all in for a Ballarat game if it was on a weekend, Tuesday night isn't a great idea imo.

• Like 1

IMO the issue is rather more than one match to be possibly played at Ballarat. It brings into question at least the following:

1. What actually is FFA trying to do with the FFA Cup? Is its purpose a genuine cup competition, or an exercise in bringing football to country towns?

2. Are we Melbourne City Football Club and is AAMI Park our home ground or not? Lord knows we've struggled with "identity" over the past four seasons.

3. Are we making our best efforts to recognise where our main supporter base is and acknowledge the loyalty of supporters over the past four seasons?

4. If FFA has any genuine pretensions about expanding the A-League how are we going to have a longer season if we cannot play at AAMI Park the moment we step outside the present 6-month season?

• Like 4

IMO the issue is rather more than one match to be possibly played at Ballarat. It brings into question at least the following:

1. What actually is FFA trying to do with the FFA Cup? Is its purpose a genuine cup competition, or an exercise in bringing football to country towns?

2. Are we Melbourne City Football Club and is AAMI Park our home ground or not? Lord knows we've struggled with "identity" over the past four seasons.

3. Are we making our best efforts to recognise where our main supporter base is and acknowledge the loyalty of supporters over the past four seasons?

4. If FFA has any genuine pretensions about expanding the A-League how are we going to have a longer season if we cannot play at AAMI Park the moment we step outside the present 6-month season?

1. The FFA had made it pretty clear from the outset the cup was seen as a way of engaging people not wholly committed to supporting the A-League and bringing top flight clubs to different grounds and regions.

2. Melbourne City have all their regular season home matches at AAMI Park, one cup match does not change the club's home ground.

3. I think 13 regular season games in the centre of Melbourne is more than enough to say they acknowledge where the main supporter base is.

4. This would be where careful planning, cross code fixturing and ground management come into play, a difficult task but I think it would be possible if handled properly.

if the game is played in ballarat i will definately be thinking twice before i go, i only have a 75minute drive but it will be a deciding factor.

In the same boat I have a 2 hour drive to Ballarat I can't drive to Ballarat and home then get up for work at 5am the next day.. Would be really disappointed if the game wasn't at least in Melbourne

• Like 1

it's our first competitive game after the re-branding. Every support should be getting along no matter where it is and make heaps of noise to send a clear message that we're still here and behind the boys.

Staying home because it's too far is a very weak attitude. That should not be a part of our supporter culture.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 3

Staying home because it's too far is a very weak attitude. That should not be a part of our supporter culture.

Jimmy, I think you just need to be careful how you state your opinion here.

At last count we have over 5000 members. I guess a good number of these are family/junior members where it is just too difficult to travel this distance late on a cold midweek night.

Who knows also how many of these live on the other side of Melbourne or other regional areas where the distance is a real deterrent.

I can definitely understand your passion and that's great, but a blanket statement like the above has the potential to cause splinters between Melburnians and general supporters alike - and that's the last thing we need.

• Like 6

Ballarat had a team in the cup and went out to green gully in round 4.

That's where the cup should end in Ballarat

If its played there might as well treat the cup wih the same contempt and send the youth team up.

If the FFA want to promote the thing play it at home.

• Like 2

it's our first competitive game after the re-branding. Every support should be getting along no matter where it is and make heaps of noise to send a clear message that we're still here and behind the boys.

I legitimately don't mean this as offensive, I just don't know how else to say it. I think it's elitist and really none of your business how people choose to support our club.

That doesn't take anything away from your great work and effort with Melburnians. But as said above me, that just comes across as a really abrasive statement.

• Like 1

We had the same arguments about Albury last year and people still came, looking at the released venues so far it seems like no A-league club will be playing at their regular home ground. 

We should just ask the shiek to pay for a few buses to cart us all down in

We had the same arguments about Albury last year and people still came, looking at the released venues so far it seems like no A-league club will be playing at their regular home ground. 

We should just ask the shiek to pay for a few buses to cart us all down in

Then there was Season 3 when this forum seemed to consist of one long argument between those who could make most Away Game fixtures and those who couldn't.

Is Ballarat's home ground Foxtel worthy?

If Foxtel is going to broadcast 10 out of the 16 matches, you'd think Melbourne Vs Sydney would be high up on the list of 10.

I'm hoping the answer is no...which would mean that they'd have to play it somewhere which has an adequate TV tower!

• Like 1

Don't know if its been said but it looks like players in the All Stars squad wont be able to play the game.  It means Williams wont play for us, but Sydney will lose Abbas, Ibini & Sasa. 

Probably better off voting opposition players next year to make the All Stars team.

• Like 2