Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

well I can tell you that there is already over 50 members of cove coming so we need to make sure we take this serious we cant be out sung

Lets get ourselves organised asap, scarves ready by then, banners made, chants being made and a well disciplined active support out singing the rival fans being there so lets hope all that gets sorted asap!

This is the noise our lot made at the friendly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qf2MmMAPFA&feature=youtu.be

I imagine if a fair chunk of the cove make the journey they can out voice it. We can't let that happen.

Interesting that Adelaide are playing in Adelaide and newcastle are playing in newcastle.

This is obviously a city decision - must not care about home ground advantage!

Not at their normal grounds though. I'm sure City could have played at Epping if they wanted to.

For those who live in Ballarat or drove up to the game last time, where can you park?

FFAcup.png

There's plenty of parking at the ground.

I understand that but Im also concerned as this game will attract a lot more people than that friendly

There are plenty of streets around the ground with free parking, don't stress, it's not like trying to get a park in Melbourne! It probably will get quite busy around the ground, but it won't take you long to find a park that is within easy walking distance. I just hope the weather is a bit better than it was at the practice match.

• Like 2

well I can tell you that there is already over 50 members of cove coming so we need to make sure we take this serious we cant be out sung

Lets get ourselves organised asap, scarves ready by then, banners made, chants being made and a well disciplined active support out singing the rival fans being there so lets hope all that gets sorted asap!

This is the noise our lot made at the friendly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qf2MmMAPFA&feature=youtu.be

I imagine if a fair chunk of the cove make the journey they can out voice it. We can't let that happen.

I'm sure we'll have plenty more people make the trip up for the FFA cup game compared to the friendly. I for one wasn't willing to make the trip up for the friendly but there's no way I'd miss this game. 

As someone who until recently lived in Ballarat I think this is a clever move by the club. Ballarat is an untapped market for supporters. It is close enough to Melbourne to easily catch the train down for matches but neither heart or the other team had until this point made any real effort to attract support, apart from a couple of token friendlies, and as such most people I know have not made any real commitment to either team. I agree that it's a shame that city's first competitive match will be outside of Melbourne, but I think that it will work out for the best if it creates a connection with a sizeable and growing town just 70 minutes down the road. 

No need to worry about parking either, Ballarat on a Tuesday night isn't exactly busy.

With no disrespect intended to the fine people of Ballarat, I think it could be argued quite convincingly that Melbourne is an untapped market for supporters. What are we looking at for the upcoming season, about 30-35,000 combined Victory/City members, in a city of 4.2 million? We haven't even scratched the surface.

• Like 4

I don't have a problem with trying to get as much support as possible from people who live in regional and rural areas. One of the reasons I joined up with Heart was the commitment via Westpac to the Community Football Festivals. And I have no problem with the occasional pre-season match being player at regional venues.

But the reality is that Melbourne is one of the world's big cities, and it's where most of the people likely to become City supporters actually live. Logic therefore demands that this is where you should focus your efforts to grow the club's supporter base.

Of course there will be some die-hard supporters making the trip to Ballarat. That would be the case more or less wherever we played. I'm not particularly fussed who has actually made the decision not to play in Melbourne, but for the reasons Murf put forward previously IMO it is a poor decision for Melbourne City to play its first competitive match other than at AAMI Park. I don't believe that the ground would be unplayable either. It was designed to accommodate both football and rugby, and any groundsman worth his salt should be able to have it ready for football on 12th August.

If City wants to court regional and rural support, which I'm all in favour of, there are ways that could be considered to do just that. Improving the membership package(s) for country members would be one. Working with V-Line to provide special trains, where appropriate, would be another.

IMO the club continues to send mixed messages, and this one has Melbourne Heart written all over it.

• Like 1

As someone who until recently lived in Ballarat I think this is a clever move by the club. Ballarat is an untapped market for supporters. It is close enough to Melbourne to easily catch the train down for matches but neither heart or the other team had until this point made any real effort to attract support, apart from a couple of token friendlies, and as such most people I know have not made any real commitment to either team. I agree that it's a shame that city's first competitive match will be outside of Melbourne, but I think that it will work out for the best if it creates a connection with a sizeable and growing town just 70 minutes down the road. 

No need to worry about parking either, Ballarat on a Tuesday night isn't exactly busy.

With no disrespect intended to the fine people of Ballarat, I think it could be argued quite convincingly that Melbourne is an untapped market for supporters. What are we looking at for the upcoming season, about 30-35,000 combined Victory/City members, in a city of 4.2 million? We haven't even scratched the surface.

But Melbourne will host at minimum 13 games this year. I doubt any casual supporter in Melbourne is going to care very much that a single game is going to be played in Ballarat. They're more likely to be excited by David Villa than the first round of the FFA cup.

• Like 1

Apparently the club is targeting around 800 000 neutral fans in the wider Melbourne Metro area & outer Melbourne regions that are still non aligned to clubs here in Melbourne, thats still a massive amount of people to target for choosing allegiances.....there is still plenty of support for those that support the Victorian Premier League that dont bother supporting either Melbourne City or Melbourne Victory....thats how our club is targeting at the moment trying to bring those people in. 

It remains to be seen though if it is working.

Edited by elieanid

I don't have a problem with trying to get as much support as possible from people who live in regional and rural areas. One of the reasons I joined up with Heart was the commitment via Westpac to the Community Football Festivals. And I have no problem with the occasional pre-season match being player at regional venues.

But the reality is that Melbourne is one of the world's big cities, and it's where most of the people likely to become City supporters actually live. Logic therefore demands that this is where you should focus your efforts to grow the club's supporter base.

Of course there will be some die-hard supporters making the trip to Ballarat. That would be the case more or less wherever we played. I'm not particularly fussed who has actually made the decision not to play in Melbourne, but for the reasons Murf put forward previously IMO it is a poor decision for Melbourne City to play its first competitive match other than at AAMI Park. I don't believe that the ground would be unplayable either. It was designed to accommodate both football and rugby, and any groundsman worth his salt should be able to have it ready for football on 12th August.

If City wants to court regional and rural support, which I'm all in favour of, there are ways that could be considered to do just that. Improving the membership package(s) for country members would be one. Working with V-Line to provide special trains, where appropriate, would be another.

IMO the club continues to send mixed messages, and this one has Melbourne Heart written all over it.

Actually, I think this one has all the signs of CFG all over it.  I don't think the strategy of targetting rural Victoria is solely designed to get more people to come watch Melbourne City play.  It's designed to get people to support the club.  Via that support, CFG is hoping to create a worldwide following of Manchester City.  By doing so they drive their sales of shirts and the like to levels rivalling teams like Man U, Barça, etc.  Melbourne City is defintely being used as a tool in this regards, though there will undoubtably be benefits for Melbourne City in the process.

Edited by Moraiwe

If there really is this target audience we would expect to see some sort of ramped-up marketing drive closer to the start of the season....

That's what Im thinking, Im also thinking about a club marketing pushing involving a International Marquee and Australian Marquee that we are yet to sign....but other than that, there is still a massive amount of footballing fans that are non aligned to any Melbourne A League side.

That needs to be sorted and targeted if we are to see membership and crowd attendances to rise.

Ballarat’s Morshead Park will play host to Melbourne City FC’s inaugural Westfield FFA Cup fixture against Sydney FC on August 12.

The competition kicks off with the Round of 32 fixtures across four consecutive Tuesdays - commencing Tuesday 29 July - at different venues around the country and between 32 clubs – including 22 from member federations and 10 Hyundai A-League clubs.

As the competition enters its first year, it will be an important match for Melbourne City FC both on and off the field – and the Club is expecting a strong turnout of Melbourne City FC fans.

To help you enjoy – and prepare – for the FFA Cup match-day experience, check out our Westfield FFA Cup FAQ below.

Why are Melbourne City FC playing Sydney FC in the first Round of 32?

Melbourne City will host Sydney after the two teams were drawn out of Pot B, which also included A-League clubs Adelaide United, Newcastle Jets, Perth Glory and Wellington Phoenix

The Round of 32 comprises the ten Hyundai A-League clubs plus 22 Member Federation clubs across seven States and Territories throughout the country, with the number of spots allocated to Member Federations in each State based on the number of registered players in each jurisdiction.

Why will the match be held on a Tuesday evening?

The 16 matches in the Round of 32 of the Westfield FFA Cup 2014 will be split over four weeks, with four games scheduled per week either on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

Will the match be broadcast on Fox Sports?

Fox Sports will broadcast at least ten matches in the competition from the Round of 32 onwards, including all four Quarter Finals, both Semi Finals and the Final. Specific broadcast details will be provided when the broadcast schedule is finalised.

Will members have first access to FFA Cup tickets through a pre-sale method?

Due to the competition’s ticketing structure, all tickets will be available at the venue on match day from the venue (Morshead Park) when gates open (approximately 90 minutes prior to kick-off). There will not be a pre-sale option.

How much are tickets and is there a member discount?

All tickets will be standard price: $10 for adult general admission and $5 for child admission (15 or under as of 1 August 2014). Under-4 enter for free.

What is the capacity of Morshead Park?

The capacity of Morshead Park is approximately 5,000.

Will there be public transport from Melbourne for the match?

There will be a service provided on match day from Melbourne to Ballarat, return. More details, including price, departure, arrival and booking details and will be provided on Friday onmelbournecityfc.com.au

Are there any accommodation options available?

Ballarat Regional Tourism provide accommodation booking services and are available atvisitballarat.com.au

For information visit www.theffacup.com.au

If you have any further questions please Tweet the Club’s Official Twitter Account or comment on our Facebook page and the Club will endeavour to answer your inquiries where possible.

Match Details

FFA Cup - Round of 32

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Melbourne City FC vs. Sydney FC

Venue: Morshead Park, Ballarat

Kick-Off: 7.30pm

How much are tickets and is there a member discount?

All tickets will be standard price: $10 for adult general admission and $5 for child admission (15 or under as of 1 August 2014). Under-4 enter for free.

What is the capacity of Morshead Park?

The capacity of Morshead Park is approximately 5,000.

Will there be public transport from Melbourne for the match?

There will be a service provided on match day from Melbourne to Ballarat, return. More details, including price, departure, arrival and booking details

IN IN INNNNNNNNNNNNNN

was able to organized a few things and will be able to make it up, will be happy to take some people there as well from western suburbs. excited as for this.

What time are you thinking of heading there

depends on if there is a pregame, if not would be like 5-5.30. once all the details to what the core has organized will be able to give a definitive answer. 

Victory play Ballarat in Ballarat on the 26th of August fwiw

But at the same time victory will have played 4 matches in Melbourne by the time we play our FFA Cup match in Ballarat on August 12th. And by that point our new look club, which has chosen to call itself 'Melbourne City', will have played 4 matches (open to the public), and all of those matches will have been outside of the City of Melbourne and outside of Melbourne (first ever match in Ballarat, than 2 matches open to the public in the UK, then our first competitive match in Ballarat).

I guess our branding & marketing is as incoherent as victory's (who with their name and big V on their chest used to suppose they represent all of Victoria), but that doesn't mean it's an impressive or respectable state of affairs.  

• Like 3

was able to organized a few things and will be able to make it up, will be happy to take some people there as well from western suburbs. excited as for this.

depends on if there is a pregame, if not would be like 5-5.30. once all the details to what the core has organized will be able to give a definitive answer.

I was thinking we would have to get there early considering the lack of seats

I was thinking we would have to get there early considering the lack of seats

seating is not of concern to me, stand and singing for the full 90minutes is the plan. Gates open 90min before the game so i suspect all the seating that have there will be full with an hour of it opening. i just hope they get the ticketing right instead of the fiasco against ballarat. 

What time are you thinking of heading there depends on if there is a pregame, if not would be like 5-5.30. once all the details to what the core has organized will be able to give a definitive answer. I was thinking we would have to get there early considering the lack of seats

seating is not of concern to me, stand and singing for the full 90minutes is the plan. Gates open 90min before the game so i suspect all the seating that have there will be full with an hour of it opening. i just hope they get the ticketing right instead of the fiasco against ballarat.

Sorry that is what meant with the venues capacity I don't want to go to get turned back