Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2411876/ballarat-frontrunner-for-ffa-cup-fixture/?cs=63

Ballarat is what in hearing. The courier have just broken the story 5 min ago

Lol wtf is with every Tom dick and Harry reporting lampard on our rosterAnd the chairman thinks that he, Villa AND Duff could play the match haha.

It is starting to annoy me cause I'm lampard falls through us as the supporters cop it from outsiders when it is the media running with it

I'll be making the trip from Melbourne to Ballarat if it's there but would obviously much prefer it to be at AAMI. 

Also I agree with what you said drewmelbcity. The visitors are gonna have a field day with it on Facebook if we are told that Lampard is officially not coming. And we didn't even do anything. We're simply the victims of media speculation

I would have expected Lakeside, but as I said in the past, I didn't expect this to be at AAMI Park.

Ballarat isn't the worst idea. Its early days in the FFA Cup, and the support that Ballarat would likely be a further boost to the sport in regional areas. I just can't see a huge turn out at AAMI Park on a Tues night at this time of year.

A home game against Sydney FC not played at home. It ain't called the FFA cup for nothin'!

If this is going to become a regular thing where the home team is going to end up playing somewhere other than their usual home ground (especially miles outside the city), then interest in the FFA cup will be lost as quickly as it is gained!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

Under the previous ownership of the club, I really never understood why the club was so eager to acquire members outside of Melbourne, when the club was yet to build a big base of members inside of Melbourne.

And it seems that that shortcoming of the club could be dragging into this new era. Arguably the club's first ever match was held in Ballarat. Now don't get me wrong, just like with previous seasons, I've always thought of it as a nice little thing that the club goes to many places across Victoria (indeed, some relatives of mine are members mainly because the club went to Ballarat a few years ago). But the club is trying to be successful and build a big supporter base, and as David Gallop said of A-League expansion "you have to fish where the fish are", and so too this club should concentrate its efforts in Melbourne to attract its members from where by far most of Victoria's residents reside (and about 80% of Victoria's population live in Melbourne). Especially now that the club is called "Melbourne City", it just makes sense to play matches & focus its efforts when it can in Melbourne and in the City of Melbourne, and AAMI Park is located officially in the City of Melbourne.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if this club's first official competitive match isn't in Melbourne. Especially since our first A-League match is in Sydney, this FFA Cup match is a golden opportunity to play a proper match in Melbourne. If this opportunity is squandered, it disappointingly looks like once again that the loyal supporters of this club will have lost out when they shouldn't have, because of the decision-making of this club.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Under the previous ownership of the club, I really never understood why the club was so eager to acquire members outside of Melbourne, when the club was yet to build a big base of members inside of Melbourne.

And it seems that that shortcoming of the club could be dragging into this new era. Arguably the club's first ever match was held in Ballarat. Now don't get me wrong, just like with previous seasons, I've always thought of it as a nice little thing that the club goes to many places across Victoria (indeed, some relatives of mine are members mainly because the club went to Ballarat a few years ago). But the club is trying to be successful and build a big supporter base, and as David Gallop said of A-League expansion "you have to fish where the fish are", and so too this club should concentrate its efforts to attract its members from Melbourne. Especially now that the club is called "Melbourne City", it just makes sense to play matches & focus its efforts when it can in Melbourne and in the City of Melbourne, and AAMI Park is located officially in the City of Melbourne.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if this club's first official competitive match isn't in Melbourne. Especially since our first A-League match is in Sydney, this FFA Cup match is a golden opportunity to play a proper make in Melbourne. If this opportunity is squandered, it disappointingly looks like once again that the loyal supporters of this club will have lost out when they shouldn't have, because of the decision-making of this club.

I agree, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to hold it in Ballarat for those reasons.

The only way I could tolerate it being held in Ballarat is if Aami Park is unavailable for some reason.

• Like 1

I'll be making the trip from Melbourne to Ballarat if it's there but would obviously much prefer it to be at AAMI.

Also I agree with what you said drewmelbcity. The visitors are gonna have a field day with it on Facebook if we are told that Lampard is officially not coming. And we didn't even do anything. We're simply the victims of media speculation

Who gives a fuck what they say on Facebook

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more! People need to get a grip. There are always going to be flogs trolling on facebook regardless of what goes on. One minute it's "Just because you're rich. doesn't mean you'll win in a salary-capped league", the next it's "Melbourne City buying trophies", to "Good luck after Round 10 when Villa, Lampard etc leave!". Seriously, even the trolls can't get their story straight!

And how could I forget the "Money can't buy class" from jealous victory wankers. That one was priceless!

Edited by Pete Heartspur

I couldn't agree more! People need to get a grip. There are always going to be flogs trolling on facebook regardless of what goes on. One minute it's "Just because you're rich. doesn't mean you'll win in a salary-capped league", the next it's "Melbourne City buying trophies", to "Good luck after Round 10 when Villa, Lampard etc leave!". Seriously, even the trolls can't get their story straight!

And how could I forget the "Money can't buy class" from jealous victory wankers. That one was priceless!I agree while there is a cap money is not going to buy you success and that is what these wanks can't understand, I love the fact we are owned by the city group because 1) it gives us financial stability while we establish ourselves and 2) it is a chance to bring quality players to the a league but those fucktards get their panties in knot and call us a plastic club not understanding this will grow the game immensely but hey as long as they are winning trophies then who cares for the sake of growth (but the fucked up thing is they haven't won shit since the inception of our club but they still huff and puff like the victards are the greatest club in the league) anyways end of rant hope all makes sense

Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 1

So our first competitive match is in exactly 1 month from today.

I really think this match should be taken seriously, and think there's only upside, and a lot of upside, if the club takes this match seriously. And there's real downside if our club don't take this match seriously.

Think about it. If we win this match, and just 4 more matches after it, we win silverware. And as the first FFA Cup, it is a historic piece of silverware. And our club, after the 4 seasons Melbourne Heart endured, should do everything it can to get whatever silverware it can.

And if we lose this match, it will be a real embarrassment. This new look club, with backing from the mighty EPL champs Man City, that promised immediately after the takeover to be "one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region", falling at the first hurdle in the FFA Cup, by losing at home in Victoria (and possibly Melbourne) to Sydney FC. 

So who should play, and in what formation?

How should the team approach and play this game?

And will we win?

• Like 2

So our first competitive match is in exactly 1 month from today.

I really think this match should be taken seriously, and think there's only upside, and a lot of upside, if the club takes this match seriously. And there's real downside if our club don't take this match seriously.

Think about it. If we win this match, and just 4 more matches after it, we win silverware. And as the first FFA Cup, it is a historic piece of silverware. And our club, after the 4 seasons Melbourne Heart endured, should do everything it can to get whatever silverware it can.

And if we lose this match, it will be a real embarrassment. This new look club, with backing from the mighty EPL champs Man City, that promised immediately after the takeover to be "one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region", falling at the first hurdle in the FFA Cup, by losing at home in Victoria (and possibly Melbourne) to Sydney FC. 

So who should play, and in what formation?

How should the team approach and play this game?

And will we win?

Too early to call Murf.

Question marks over how many players we have - we'll probably know after the Manchester matches whether Duff and Kisnorbo are match fit and ready for a competitive match. I can't see Villa being with us, nor any further signings that we might make before 12th August such as visa and marquee players. If Duff and Kisnorbo are not ready then I think we're down to 16 players aren't we?

We'll know the club's overall attitude towards the match when the venue is announced. If it's not at AAMI then it really is not being taken seriously, and we'll get the usual crap from JvS about "gelling", "a good hit out", and "plenty of positives to take to the next match."

It's too early to answer those questions with certainty, and that's pretty much the point I wanted to make.

The remaining month til the August 12 FFA Cup game vs Sydney will pass by very quickly, and unless the club has a lot of things ready to roll out over the next 2-3 weeks, we'll be playing against Sydney with the current 18 players on the teamsheet. 

And we know the current squad we've got. David Williams will be our striker up front, and will play the whole game, as we have literally no replacement for him. And below the midfield everything looks shaky: unproven fullbacks, with Germano or Hoffman at RB, and Garuccio or Ramsay at LB, and our central defensive pairing is uncertain at this point, with Kisnorbo recovering from surgery and Chapman not even playing a minute in the Ballarat game, and finally there's a mediocre goalkeeper between the sticks (either Redmayne or Velaphi of course).   

The concern is any signings made before this match will only be made 1 or 2 weeks before matchday, and these signings won't have time to settle into the squad and make an impact (which would lead to real disappointing comments like "not enough time to gel" [as we heard in our first season], as noted). It would be bad if the coaching staff didn't know the team 3 or so days outside of this match, and such a late coming together of the squad would suggest there's significant odds that we could lose on August 12 against Graham Arnold's Sydney.

Here's hoping we have a much better starting XI by August 12 than what we have now, because I think we're going to need it.    

• Like 2

post-641-0-23135100-1405145281_thumb.jpgpost-641-0-13497800-1405145271_thumb.jpg

I was looking at these to try and work out who we play if we go through to the next round. I see we are either 10 or 12 in the RO16 and will play either 11 or 13. Is there any way of working out who they are. Or atleast limit it down based on dates?