Melbourne Football

FFA Cup Draw - Melbourne City vs Sydney FC

Dearg is bán

No Epping pls.

Do you know how long it takes to get out of that ground.

I was at preseason game vs Adelaide last year. There wasn't more then 1k (I could be wrong )

It took 40min+ from jumping into the car and finally getting out on the main road.

If we get 5k I may as well take a tent

Seconded. That ground is a nightmare unless you are a local. 

Same for South Melbourne. I used to go there to watch Hellas from time to time.

Anywhere other than AAMI Park is a statement that FFA is not taking the FFA Cup seriously.

• Like 1

No Epping pls.

Do you know how long it takes to get out of that ground.

I was at preseason game vs Adelaide last year. There wasn't more then 1k (I could be wrong )

It took 40min+ from jumping into the car and finally getting out on the main road.

If we get 5k I may as well take a tent

Seconded. That ground is a nightmare unless you are a local. 

Same for South Melbourne. I used to go there to watch Hellas from time to time.

Anywhere other than AAMI Park is a statement that FFA is not taking the FFA Cup seriously.

Ballarat it is then :lol:

So the issue with playing at Aami would be that the running costs would outweigh the money made on the gate yeah? Isn't the one thing that CFG bring to the table basically infinite funds?

I expect this type of thing to be the most tangible difference the new ownership brings.

Tbh morphine that's a very naive view IMO. Sure they can afford to make losses now, but at the end of the day it's an investment and they'll still be trying to run the club to be as profitable as possible.

Where we will find the big difference will be in investing in facilities, players etc but from a day to day operations point of view I'm certain we'll be operating with profit in mind. Flushing money down the toilet for the sale of it won't be on the agenda I'm pretty sure.

That's not to say we won't put on more staff, become more professional etc, but that would be expected to reap financial reward down the track if ran properly.

Tbh morphine that's a very naive view IMO. Sure they can afford to make losses now, but at the end of the day it's an investment and they'll still be trying to run the club to be as profitable as possible.

Where we will find the big difference will be in investing in facilities, players etc but from a day to day operations point of view I'm certain we'll be operating with profit in mind. Flushing money down the toilet for the sale of it won't be on the agenda I'm pretty sure.

That's not to say we won't put on more staff, become more professional etc, but that would be expected to reap financial reward down the track if ran properly.

He has point though...

This is a staduim that been fine to hold other Heart matches, VPL Grand Finals, State Cups and a number of other events with lower attendances than what this match will prob bring.

I thought one of the advantages of having city owning our club is money is never an issue.

Just because they are rich doesn't mean they don't care about what they spend.

We're arguing over spilt milk here though. They are likely going to spend over a Billion dollars on a stadium in NYC and it costs about 60k to host a football match at aami iirc. A lot of which they will get back, and is also an investment opportunity. "Become a member and get $5 entry to this cup game"

I will be pretty annoyed if this game isn't at aami and it's free that night.

I thought one of the advantages of having city owning our club is money is never an issue.

Just because they are rich doesn't mean they don't care about what they spend.

There are intangible costs associated with not playing at the clubs home ground. I believe those costs would be greater than those associated with renting AAMI for a tuesday nifht

And our first home match of the season just 15 days later.

Goodness me, that defies belief. Trucks weighing up to 5 tons. Going up to 10m in the air. There wouldn't be a stadium in the world that could take that unless they lay a complete surface and properly protect everything underneath.

A bit off topic but,

Just had a look at the AAMI Park schedule. Apparently this is occurring just before the A League season begins!:

http://www.aamipark.com.au/events/monster-jam/

Surely they are taking the piss.

Fuck off back to America monster jam, we don't want your red neck ass "sport" and "entertainment"

Good to see old grave digger is still getting around. I remember him from the Monster Truck Madness days...

Goodness me, that defies belief. Trucks weighing up to 5 tons. Going up to 10m in the air. There wouldn't be a stadium in the world that could take that unless they lay a complete surface and properly protect everything underneath.

Pitch put up with Carlos Hernandez for long enough. In this day and age, it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 2

He has point though...

This is a staduim that been fine to hold other Heart matches, VPL Grand Finals, State Cups and a number of other events with lower attendances than what this match will prob bring.

Spose it depends what kind of attendance we are expecting. I'd be think something around our usual 7-8k assuming villa and Lampard aren't playing, purely off the hype of the rebranding, new competition and whoever else we've signed to that point. Duff on debut would have to be a decent draw card as well.

What do people actually think the crowd will be for a Tuesday night game?

He has point though...

Spose it depends what kind of attendance we are expecting. I'd be think something around our usual 7-8k assuming villa and Lampard aren't playing, purely off the hype of the rebranding, new competition and whoever else we've signed to that point. Duff on debut would have to be a decent draw card as well.

I am hoping it will be around 7-8k, but the pessimist in me thinks 5-6k.

I would say that is pretty much what they do. If Rod Laver can handle Crusty Demons with bobcats moving the surface around on the night I am sure our state of the art turf should be able to handle it.

Still concerning though.

A bit off topic but,

Just had a look at the AAMI Park schedule. Apparently this is occurring just before the A League season begins!:

http://www.aamipark.com.au/events/monster-jam/

Surely they are taking the piss.

Fuck yeah love me some fucking monster trucks it's just like professional wrestling, two of the most hardcore things on the planet. Can't wait to break out my new monster snapback :up:

Edited by kingofhearts

I would say that is pretty much what they do. If Rod Laver can handle Crusty Demons with bobcats moving the surface around on the night I am sure our state of the art turf should be able to handle it.

Still concerning though.

I was more thinking of watering systems underneath etc.

He has point though...

I am hoping it will be around 7-8k, but the pessimist in me thinks 5-6k.

Now that depends a lot on who is playing.

"Super" Dave Williams up front and Stefan Mauk as a #10?  then 5-6 might be close.

David Villa up front and Frank Lampard as #10?  15k wouldn't be out of the picture. 

I believe big (relatively) stadia have certain red tape they have to jump through (and force everyone else to jump through) which could lead them to reject the chance to host the game, or make it difficult enough for City that they pull out. Stuff like risk assessments and related insurance costs, whether they need to arrange for several hundred stewards to attend the game and if the notice is too short to sort that out, whether the stadium needs to go through any pitch reconfiguration before and after use and whether it's too short notice to sort that out. Smaller venues tend to have fewer concerns of this sort.

Just speculation, of course.

I clearly remember when Harry and big O were on the ground people spoke about 12 to 15k crowds attending games.

This never happened and we were stagnant at 7k most games.

Even with DV and FL I will be very happy if we have CONSISTENT crowd of 10k this season, especially after DV leaves us.

A-League clubs don't have a track record at attracting big crowds at ACL matches, and it could well be the same for the FFA Cup. A lot will depend on venue, ticket prices, weather and publicity. Let's face it, we are in pre-season for this "Round of 32", we don't know what the rules governing squads are, and I doubt that all clubs will have finalised their playing rosters by early August.

4-7k depending on the above.

I clearly remember when Harry and big O were on the ground people spoke about 12 to 15k crowds attending games.

This never happened and we were stagnant at 7k most games.

Even with DV and FL I will be very happy if we have CONSISTENT crowd of 10k this season, especially after DV leaves us.

The problem was there was that little winless run of 19 games, which pretty much made any chance of drawing a decent crowd around 12k to 15k impossible.

And that's always been the main issue with our crowds, as far as I can see, results. A club like ours that was a latecomer to the A-League, and then never had a really successful season to build upon (yet alone the fact that we never got, or got near, silverware) was always going to struggle with crowds, because there are over 2 dozen professional sports teams in Melbourne, and if a team can't consistently get results it won't be supported in large numbers (and star players will draw a much smaller crowd than they should, and the crowds will dissipate when the stars are gone).

I remember when Heart actually did do pretty well in our second season, and then in January, midweek on a hot Wednesday, when I'm pretty sure lots of Melburnians were away on holidays, we drew a real solid crowd of 8,272 against Adelaide at AAMI, despite our team having a complete lack of stars and pretty much being full of kids. We lost the match 1-3. And that's been the issue IMO, that we never got enough consistent results that we could capitalise on and consistently draw fairly big crowds.

BTW, I don't think people who want the team to consistently/often get results are necessarily 'theatre-goers'. I think they just want there to be 'some light at the end of the tunnel', and with there being so many sports teams in Melbourne, they want the sports team they follow to at least occasionally achieve real success, which is understandable IMO.

So having followed the team since Melbourne Heart's first season, I'm sure that if we get the results, the crowds will come. And I think stars playing for us on top of consistent results could mean some seriously big crowds at AAMI Park next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...