Melbourne Football

Matchday 23: vs Wellington @ AAMI - Sunday 16th March - 4pm EDT

LR9

I disagree that Hoffman did well today. Positionally he gets caught up the field too often, which to me is because he goes to early. Sometimes that is on, but the Kiwis found a lot of space down his side of the field on breaks. Not that I though BG was much better today.

I disagree that Hoffman did well today. Positionally he gets caught up the field too often, which to me is because he goes to early. Sometimes that is on, but the Kiwis found a lot of space down his side of the field on breaks. Not that I though BG was much better today.

I didn't mean that Hoffman played well, because he was fairly average to be honest, but the other three at the back were worse than him. Like the lesser of 4 evils

• Like 1

What was wrong with Williams goal from free play? It seemed like he was penalised for a high foot. What was he supposed to control the ball with? Unless it was yet another off side decision, it seemed a bit soft.

I think it was called back for handball.

I couldn't figure it out either.  I was thinking "high foot" which would have been a terrible decision and what i referred to in my post. 

I didn't mean that Hoffman played well, because he was fairly average to be honest, but the other three at the back were worse than him. Like the lesser of 4 evils

Fair enough, I don't think anyone could say any of the back 4 had a good day. Wasn't having a go at you at all btw.

Agree with much of what's been said, but also have a few differing opinions.

I was pleased that we twice came from behind. I think it's easy to forget how completely different things were several weeks ago. So credit to the team for doing that and pushing to score a 3rd until the end.

I don't think the Garuccio LB experiment was a success. I fully agree that he looked like a left winger trying to play LB. For instance, I think he's good at intercepting the ball (something midfielders and forwards should be able to do), but I don't think he's good at tackling (something a defender and DM does). Also, Garuccio's positioning wasn't that good. He was too high up field for the first goal, and I reckon if his positioning was better him and Kisnorbo would have handled Krishna's one-man counterattack (that resulted from poor passing from Williams). The second Wellington goal also came down our left side, although some poor goalkeeping and defending also explain that goal.

I don't think Williams can play with his back to goal. The first Wellington goal was born from a real poor pass from him with his back to goal (there were actually 2 bad passes from him in quick succession, but the first went unpunished). I think he showed his quality cutting in from the left wing to shoot with his right foot, and when he was running towards goal with the ball and a lot of open space (as seen during the play where Sigmund got his 1st yellow, and the 2nd disallowed goal [which was really wrongly disallowed IMO]). So IMO he's much better out wide than as a no 9.

Engelaar was really disappointing. I'm assuming it's personal issues or something like that that's effecting his football, because he's a much better footballer than what he showed today (and last game, for that matter).

Kewell showed some moments of brilliance, such as that wonderful long pass that found Williams which resulted in Sigmund's first yellow (and a freekick on the edge of the box). He also played a real memorable pass to Hoffman, who was free on the edge of the box and should have done much better. Kewell also was good to win the penalty. But overall IMO Kewell could have been more consistent and could have given more.

Kalmar was useful in midfield and played numerous good forward passes. Mauk also looked good when he was subbed on as well.

Heart missed too many good chances. Dugandzic was guilty of missing 2 good opportunities, whilst Williams had a good chance fall to him really near goal in the second half. Going off the stats, Heart took over 2 dozen shots, and simply should have done better with them

But at the same time I think Heart should have been able to fashion more good chances against 10 men. There wasn't enough smart and quick ball moment to fashion opportunities, like we saw with the play where Kewell ended up being fouled for a penalty.

On reflection, I think it's rather remarkable that Heart have scored as many goals as they have this season without an actual, proper striker. That is, a player who can hold up the ball with their back to goal and link with teammates in the final third. But also be a clinical finisher, who can score from at least 1 half-chance every few games. Too many Heart forwards don't score good chances as often as they should, and I'd say Heart have only scored from a few half-chances this whole season. In this game Heart had 4 left wingers on at once. It's ridiculous really how Heart have ended up effectively empty of proper strikers, and I expect that to be rectified next season (Heart should get 2, if not 3, strikers for next season, including at least 1 class striker).

Disappointing that Heart didn't get maximum points from this game. But I reckon a lot will have been learnt for next season, and Man City will have an increasingly clear understanding of all the ways they can improve Heart's football. So whilst it's always annoying to lose, having some problems and shortcomings come to light now will really give Man City to fully fix Heart for next season. I reckon there's actually a lot to work with, but at the same time I reckon Man City will make Heart a much improved side, after having identified Heart's imperfections in games like this one.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

Not to confuse to many folk 

It was an eventful - uneventful game ...... Shit crowd, Shite atmosphere and Shite game with shiitty decisions

Ive just watched the game as soon as i got home and the pundits are only concentrating on Paddy's hand ball , Not willos goal ? 

But on the + side of things we are not bottom and in Willo have joint top scorer in the A League 

I thought the match today was, dull and completely flat. Credit again to majority of the boys in the yarraside giving there all but am sick of the bullshit that a certain section of supporters who sit and the front and add nothing to the atmosphere. This group only joins in when its a) a derby B) when we score a goal or c) when we are winning, im sick of them wasting space where more vocal supporters in the bay either sides of yarraside could be 

Edited by coys

Just home and frustrated but not overly despondent. Finals to me were always a long shot given where we were coming from and now pretty well beyond us. It was good to live in hope, but stark reality will always win out. Will always wonder if we'd flicked JA four weeks earlier what may be, but Santa arrived a bit late.

A bit unsure what you meant above Bela, but both goals came down our left hand side. The first a quick turnover, and the second Garruccio caught out of position and allowing them in behind. Garruccio is clearly not a natural LB yet, very young and learning. But what pissed me off about their second goal was the plan from Merrick was obvious. Sit back and absorb pressure with a 4-4-1 and leave Krishna(?) one on one with our rookie LB on their right side. JVS should have been all over this and tightened it up and also told the kid to be a bit more circumspect pushing forward. It was their only plan and we fell into it like it was a gaping hole in the ground. I thought we'd become better than that.

The whole stadium felt flat - not sure whether the game on the pitch was the chicken or the egg. It was also the worst condition I'd seen Aami Park in after the rugby and league matches on wet ground over the previous 24 hours. The ball bobbled around everywhere and certainly didn't race into space when through balls were passed. The ability for quick controlled play and using the pace of our wingers blunted somewhat and you could sense the frustration.

Not sure of about the Kisnorbo criticism - thought he was pretty solid and didn't miss one header for the game and surprisingly pushed forward for the last 6-7 minutes with a back three. But Weilardt going to ground again in the second goal was really average. CB 101 says he should keep his feet. Kalmar very good when he came on dictating play, Redders with some quality saves yet still beaten near post (like Garruccio, young players do slip up) and Ben Williams hilarious - many decisions left me perplexed and just fortunate some went our way.

It didn't fall for us and we were overall very poor in the final third (Rambo with Mifsud syndrome at the end!!) Finals a dream now - really need to make up 7 points in four games - surely time to promote some of the kids for full games. Start Mauk, give O'Dea a run, try the Gooch in his preferred position? Nothing really to lose.

• Like 1

I thought the match today was, dull and completely flat. Credit again to majority of the boys in the yarraside giving there all but am sick of the bullshit that a certain section of supporters who sit and the front and add nothing to the atmosphere. This group only joins in when its a) a derby B) when we score a goal or c) when we are winning, im sick of them wasting space where more vocal supporters in the bay either sides of yarraside could be

What makes you think if this "certain section of supporters" weren't sitting there, the so called "more vocal supporters" would occupy their seats?

My logic concludes that those seats would be empty.

While JVS may be a much better coach than JA, and there's no disputing that, he's no miracle worker. Players are responsible when they step out on to the pitch. If some of our attacking players were better at converting chances we'd be well clear of the bottom and in the top six. This is the frustration. We need a decent go to striker next season who can convert chances and half chances into goals and goal scoring assists.

• Like 4

Totally disappointed. Game that was a must win and we were dished up that. All those blokes today let us down more importantly themselves. There were some many opportunities for one of them to take control and responsibility to create something and all of them choked. Sadly when it counts and risks need to be taken we fail.

Insipid.

Completely pissed.

If some of our attacking players were better at converting chances we'd be well clear of the bottom and in the top six. This is the frustration.

Fair point.

Honestly how many people on this forum would have backed themselves to bury that chance Mate had in the first half?  Yet what does he do - knock it straight over the crossbar!  I would have been spewin' if I missed that - he's a professional in his prime of life - he should have buried it, regardless of what foot it fell to.  I am a big fan of his, but his career is at a bit of a cross roads.  A forward can't miss as many good chances as he does week in week out.

• Like 3

Some notes from today:

-For all the good Mate and Williams do, they can't finish for shit. Both of these blokes (especially Williams) need some shooting practice. Both should be no guarantees to be back next season.

- The pitch was a fucking disgrace, how can you play soccer on a pitch that looks like it was made for a pig pen? What a joke

-We showed why we are not a finals team today, just simply not up to it, we don't bring the same level of performance every week.

-Fuck the bloke in the terrance who sat down and was listening to his I-pod. Why even come dickhead? Just stay home.

-Garrucio was smashed today and played like a make shift LB

- We have got no aerial presence whatsoever. How many times did we cross the ball in today, just for it to be kicked out by a nux player or go across the box? As mentioned previously we desprately need a striker, but one specifically who is good in the air.

Really frustrating today, considering i bought a bloke who has never been before, trying to get him on board, doesn't look like he wants to come back again

Best word I could decribe today with....FLAT. From the players, to the crowd to yarraside.

The pitch is the worst I have ever seen it. Everything made the game feel like I was watching it on some local pitch as opposed to a world class stadium.

Wellington played a smart game when down to ten men, playing two strikers on the wing in a 4-3-2 formation and a 4-4-1 when defending. We didn't link up very well, particularly in our attacking third. Defensively there were some poor decisions, but one I cannot understand is why we felt we needed to have two extra defenders in our back line with 4v2 when they only had ten men. 3v2 would have sufficed and pushed an extra player of ours forward.

All I wanted to see today was creativity and lively play, for the players to express themselves and play with freedom, flair and attacking style. Unfortunately they performed in a manner that said they had everything to lose rather than everything to gain. Disappointing.

Wouldn't bother worrying about the high foot considering kisnorbos save, their red and our penalty. Wellington should've been up 2 and a man up before half time.

Probably would've been a fitting 5-0 to them if it wasn't for some more world class reffing from Australia's finest.

Duga pissed me off today. Completely useless. 

I love Willo but he was fuckin shit. 

For God's sake Ramsey stop doing step overs and just pass the fuckin ball.

Can NOT wait for a new forward line and what looks to be a new Striker Marquee (someone better than Mifsud [DROGBA]). 

We don't have a striker to begin with anyway, just wingers that can't convert chances.

Speaking of chances - Hoffman. How hard is it to tap the ball into the net?

Fuck me in the ass and call me Steve  :up:

Redmayne easily my Heart MOM, we would have been 5 or 6 down if it was not for him. We deserved a loss.

Bring on 2014/15. 

Over at the Patrick Gerhardt thread MPT claims that PG has been offered a substantially lower contract and will return to Switzerland at season's end. If so perhaps a few players have already been informed of their fate and this has had repercussions to the playing group as it has been noted that the whole team has been flat.

Some notes from today:

-For all the good Mate and Williams do, they can't finish for shit. Both of these blokes (especially Williams) need some shooting practice.

Funny this can be said about equal top scorer in the A-League...

Give us a break, most of his goals have been tap ins, and somehow he still manages to fuck them up from time to time. You are delusional if you think we are going anywhere with Williams as our striker next year

• Like 2