Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

2n67q6t.jpg

http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/who-are-the-hyundai-a-leagues-creative-geniuses-k8p9alsbnc591misu8ihebeu1/1--aaron-mooy--melbourne-city-fc----27-games-played-with-92-chances-created---3-4-chances-per-game-16

No 1 in the league. The next best player, Finkler, only created 2.5 chances a game.

Also Damien Duff ranked 7 in the league.

Edited by Murfy1

Named in the PFA A-League Team of the Season. I would say obviously but he wasn't even in the top 5 for player of the season.

Goalkeeper: Eugene Galekovic © (Adelaide United)

Defenders: Tarek Elrich (Adelaide United), Matthieu Delpierre (Melbourne Victory), Andrew Durante (Wellington Phoenix), Scott Jamieson (Perth Glory).

Midfielders: Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Aaron Mooy (Melbourne City), Marcelo Carrusca (Adelaide United).

Forwards: Fahid Ben Khalfallah (Melbourne Victory), Marc Janko (Sydney FC), Nathan Burns (Wellington Phoenix).

Substitutes: Danny Vukovic (Perth Glory), Nigel Boogaard (Adelaide United), Milos Dimitrijevic (Sydney FC), Besart Berisha (Melbourne Victory), Gui Finkler (Melbourne Victory).

Coach: Kevin Muscat (Melbourne Victory).

Referee: Strebre Delovski.

Melbourne City sign Fulham’s Aaron Hughes but Aaron Mooy keen for Europe move

David Davutovic and Matt Windley

July 13, 2015

MELBOURNE City has found a new defensive marshal with former Fulham and Newcastle United mainstay Aaron Hughes signed on a one-year deal.

But City star Aaron Mooy could be on the way out, however, with the midfielder set to receive at least one European offer within the next 48 hours.

Mooy, who has another year to run on his contract, is attracting interest from the English Premier League, German Bundesliga and Dutch Eredivisie.

City has offered Mooy a lucrative long-term contract extension, which would make him the club’s new Australian marquee.

However, Mooy, who turns 25 in September, is eager to cement his spot in Ange Postecoglou’s Socceroos side and views a move abroad as his best avenue to do so.

The former Bolton Wanderers and St Mirren (Scotland) player has also attracted interest from Asia, but is keen for another crack at Europe.

It’s understood there is also interest from Portugal, though Germany, England or Holland _ Mooy holds a Dutch passport _ are his most likely destinations if he chooses to go.

Mooy’s manager Paddy Dominguez refused to comment on the Euro speculation, but admitted that the midfielder had attracted interest since winning City’s best and fairest last season.

“Aaron is under contract with Melbourne City. As always with a player of Aaron’s quality there is continuous interest in him both domestically and internationally,” Dominguez said.

“We have had some discussion with Melbourne about the possibility of extending his stay there and will continue that dialogue in private and in good faith.”

City hopes Hughes, who turns 36 in November, will form a strong defensive unit alongside Patrick Kisnorbo and Olyroo Connor Chapman.

Hughes made his name with Newcastle during the Alan Shearer years before being a key pillar of Fulham’s defence alongside Mark Schwarzer in the team that reached the Europa League final in 2010.

The 96-times capped Northern Irish international joined QPR for half a season in 2014 before playing 10 games for Championship club Brighton and Hove Albion last season.

Hughes said former Fulham teammate Damien Duff, who played at City last season, gave a glowing endorsement of the A-League.

“He spoke highly of not just the club but the people as well and said the whole experience was fantastic,” Hughes said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/melbourne-city-sign-fulhams-aaron-hughes-but-aaron-mooy-keen-for-europe-move/story-e6frf423-1227440649219

Yep...it's the nature of the beast. When you're playing as well as Mooy and have as much football left as he does, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to stay in the A-League. If he goes, considering the money that it would free up, I think we need to make a major play at Samaras.

more so that he is our playmaker and there is no one else on the squad who could come close to replacing that role.

Well there is in theory, that's the reason why we signed our marquee player at great expense. I haven't seen anything to suggest that he's up for it though

Dont look at this as bad news, its good news. For one if Mooy was leaving he wouldn't care about changing numbers.

What gives it away is that City have offered him the Aussie spot and his agent who is just doing his best to get him the best possible $$$ 

If he was leaving his agent would have said no comment to all questions not answer half of them, just like Georgevskis agent talked up the City interest which was total crap to get him a nice raise, Mooys agent is doing the same. 

Mooy has been overseas and his back for a reason, he knows how hard it is to be a starting 11 player. 

I put all my green lines on the table and say Aaron Mooy will be our next Austarlian Marquee for the next four seasons. 

If worst case scenario, he will see out his contract and leave for free end of season but don't stress he won't leave.

• Like 1

July 14, 2015

Michael Lynch

City are also looking at upgrading the contract of last year's player of the season, Aaron Mooy, given that they have an Australian marquee spot available following the retirement of striker Josh Kennedy in the off-season.

Mooy had an outstanding campaign in 2014-15, which earned him a call-up to the national squad. Reports have suggested that the 24-year-old might be looking for a return to Europe, but City believe he is committed to the Melbourne club, especially as he has a year left on his deal.

One way to sweeten things for the midfielder would be to up his deal and offer him a longer-term contract, and pay him more as the Australian marquee player.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/aleague-melbourne-city-swoop-for-michael-zullo-as-former-socceroo-looks-to-reboot-career-20150714-gibwhe.html

The whole point of the Australian marquee position in the first place was to ensure that the best Australian talent stays in Australia so I'd love to think the club will finally adopt this line of thinking in giving the spot to Mooy rather than giving it to yet another washed up 30+ veteran

To be perfectly honest, providing he wants to stick around I'd be throwing everything at him and building this club around him for the next 3-4 years as he's clearly good enough. No more quick fixes pls

• Like 1

The whole point of the Australian marquee position in the first place was to ensure that the best Australian talent stays in Australia so I'd love to think the club will finally adopt this line of thinking in giving the spot to Mooy rather than giving it to yet another washed up 30+ veteran

To be perfectly honest, providing he wants to stick around I'd be throwing everything at him and building this club around him for the next 3-4 years as he's clearly good enough. No more quick fixes pls

No it wasn't, it was to get a few of the Golden Generation stars back into their local league.

the aus marquee has become redundant these days, a switch to three designated players a la MLS is the way forward IMO 

• Like 2

No it wasn't, it was to get a few of the Golden Generation stars back into their local league.

the aus marquee has become redundant these days, a switch to three designated players a la MLS is the way forward IMO 

Yeah this. Aus Marquee has done its dash, now milligans gone its hard to see any australians in the league that'd be on 500k+ as Marquees, potentially Spira and Brosque. anyone else? 

i'm sure the smaller clubs would be well against 3 designated players, but changing Aus to Asian marquee is a decent start. 

Really, there should be an OZ marquee, and Asian marquee, and international marquee and a youth marquee, all outside the cap

I agree. Need a European marquee too, South American marquee, Oceania marquee (just like Krishna) and an over 35's marquee (MCFC have this part covered)...

• Like 1

Really, there should be an OZ marquee, and Asian marquee, and international marquee and a youth marquee, all outside the cap

Nah, three designated players, max of four visa spots imo. Australian players can fit within the designated players if desired.

Nah, three designated players, max of four visa spots imo. Australian players can fit within the designated players if desired.

Agree on the three designated players, but 5 Visas is fine in my opinion, no need to restrict that any further. There's already Aussie players plodding around in this league who really shouldn't be.

TBH I am for 5 Visa players as well because a lot of these list fillers who aren't kids (See Hoffman, Kalmar etc) are also not exactly earning much more than a basic wage but have to train just as much as the Koren's and Mooys.

In fact many could be doing a third of the training and earning the same at a top NPL club in match day wages plus the cushy job that often comes with signing with one of these clubs.

An extra Visa player could force these types who are never going to be more than squaddies back into the NPL which would in turn improve the standard of the State Systems and in turn help with the development of the kids coming through the local leagues.

I know someone could argue that in a pursuit for success clubs will get these players to take the spot of kid (Which will happen in some cases) but if a kid's good enough he will eventually make a NPL side and personally I think Australia needs more of our kids playing with men like how Viduka learnt how to play rather than just banging in goals against people their own age... Zac Walker.

Edited by cadete

Mike Cockerill during last night's commentary:

The mail is that Aaron Mooy will be moved into an Australian marquee spot in the next few weeks. There has been some speculation that George Samaras might arrive at Melbourne City  […] but that speculation has been hosed down by the club.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Melbourne City midfielder Aaron Mooy still considering overseas options

MATT WINDLEY AND DAVID DAVUTOVIC

AUGUST 05, 2015

HE MAY have saved his side’s FFA Cup bacon, but Socceroos midfielder Aaron Mooy is no certainty to remain at Melbourne City this season.

The Herald Sun understands Mooy will decide in the coming days whether he will take up an offer to play overseas — with Holland and the Middle East the most likely destinations — or stay put.

Mooy has a year to run on his contract with the A-League semi-finalists, but he would likely ink a new deal and become City’s Australian marquee should he decide to stay.

Fresh from his two-goal performance against Edgeworth on Tuesday night, Mooy was tight-lipped on Wednesday when asked about his future.

“I still don’t know exactly what’s happening,” Mooy said.

“I’ve still got a year left on my contract at City, but I’ll just take it day by day and see what happens.”

At 24, Mooy, who has played in England and Scotland, still harbours ambitions to play overseas.

“If you can play at a higher level, it’s great,” he said.

“But Melbourne City, the club’s growing, it’s got everything now with the facilities and the professionalism here is first class so it’s not a bad place to be at all.”

Tuesday’s game was the first Mooy has played since he tore the meniscus in his knee after during May’s semi-final loss to Melbourne Victory.

It was an injury that cost him a potential training stint at sister club New York City FC, but Mooy philosophically said on Wednesday “to get injured at the end of the season is probably the best time, rather than during the season, so I can’t complain”.

The six-time Socceroo missed the friendly against Manchester City last month, but has been back in full training for three weeks and said the knee feels “fine” now.

“I did a tackle (against Victory) and it felt different and in the second half I tried to turn and do a one-two, change direction quickly, and I just felt it lock up,” he said.

“Over the last few weeks I’ve been training every day and it’s been feeling better and better and I’m more confident on it, so I’ve got no problems.”

City was staring down the barrel of a shock loss to lowly Edgeworth after falling behind to a 25th minute penalty, only for Mooy to produce two stunning free kicks — the first in the 34th minute and the second in the 93rd.

“We always knew it was going to be a difficult game with the conditions and they were going to be really up for it,” Mooy said.

“When we went 1-0 down it made it a lot harder, they had something to really fight for.

“So I’m just glad we got through.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-midfielder-aaron-mooy-still-considering-overseas-options/story-fnk6pqhd-1227471537568