Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

So, aside from the CCM game, have any other friendlies been 100% confirmed yet, or is it all conjecture? Also, is the story I heard about A-Leagues having to play two friendlies against other league clubs true, or is it nonsense?

yep you can only play 2. I'm not sure if the ccm game counts since it's the 'Craig foster cup'. Iirc we played Adelaide and Perth in friendliest and Brisbane in the cfc last preseason.

So, aside from the CCM game, have any other friendlies been 100% confirmed yet, or is it all conjecture? Also, is the story I heard about A-Leagues having to play two friendlies against other league clubs true, or is it nonsense?

I've seen on twatter that in only 3 weeks (aug 23) we're meant to play AU in the red centre.

Add to that the Lismore trip and we're keeping Etihad nice n busy.

yep you can only play 2. I'm not sure if the ccm game counts since it's the 'Craig foster cup'. Iirc we played Adelaide and Perth in friendliest and Brisbane in the cfc last preseason.

Woah hang on, has fozzie put this "cup" comp together hence the name or is he being "honored" by having it named after him?

Either way... O.o

Mark Lee, former footballer in the UK and Australia (with Perth Glory), and now a coach, sent this tweet implying that Tom King will play for Melbourne City:

Great 1on1 with former @FootballWest State/NTC player and @FFA International @TomFredriKing he's looking sharp and ready for @MelbourneCity

https://twitter.com/MarkLeeFC/status/495425594939543552

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Well, I guess we'll see. King played, what, half a game for us and he gets a contract? As far as I can see he's played bugger all football in the past 12 months.

I have no idea of his ability but I'm just glad the club seems to be looking for a legitimate left back solution rather than taking the lazy option by converting wingers.

• Like 6

Well, I guess we'll see. King played, what, half a game for us and he gets a contract? As far as I can see he's played bugger all football in the past 12 months.

I have no idea of his ability but I'm just glad the club seems to be looking for a legitimate left back solution rather than taking the lazy option by converting wingers.

I agree we need a genuine left back (and have posted more than once on this topic) but don't necessarily considered that converting left wingers is a "lazy" option.

In the modern game, the left back role is similar to left wing, so the skill set you need is similar (good left cross, pace, ability to get your around your man, time your runs etc).  If you look at some of the stand out left backs in Australia, such as Behich and Zullo, you'll see they are converted wingers, so its not a bad option, but it can be a lot of work.

The reason for the extra work is that In addition to the above, the left back needs to be a good tackler, understand their positioning and be able to take the best option every time.  For the left back, a particular challenge is the need to both cover the right winger and also be positioned so you can also support the centre back and/or cover the centre.  To do that and get it right every time, you need to know the game well and be experienced at defending.  Naturally, this is the area that the converted wingers seem to struggle with initially.

My main concern is that of our 2 left wingers who seem targeted for conversion, Garuccio played half a dozen games at left back last year and looked totally lost when defending - if the goal is to make him a defender, its going to be a long term project.  Ramsay on the other hand strikes me as more your "instinct" player than your "thinker".  Need a thinker at left back, so he either needs to adapt his game style, or play somewhere else.  The signing of an experienced left back therefore makes a lot of sense.

I agree there's a significant amount of overlap between LBs and left wingers, especially with attacking teams that need an attacking LB.

I'm still not overly keen on wingers converted to LBs though, as I don't think their tackling, defensive positioning and overall defending improves much, even after, say, a year (I'm not even sure they ever become as good as natural LBs), because the aforementioned defending skills and the defending mindset required can't be readily acquired by converted wingers. This is apart of my larger view that defending and defensive skills are generally under-appreciated (unsurprisingly, I was once a defender).

I think we were fairly fortunate with Behich, who especially by Melbourne Heart's second season was a pretty accomplished left-back, at least by A-League standards. And I think for every Behich, there's another 3-4 makeshift fullbacks who effectively always look not too good in the fullback position.

Garuccio and Ramsay aren't great prospects for converted LBs, I agree. Ramsay has just never looked like a very defensively capable player to me, and the fact that it was first John Aloisi that wanted to turn Ramsay into a fullback really makes me think there's poor judgement and faulty thinking behind the idea. As for Garuccio, I don't think he'll ever be a great full back per se, and reckon he'd always look like 'a winger trapped in a fullback's body', but I wouldn't really be against playing as a LB next season, if the alternative was he'd not play much next season (hopefully Garuccio as least gets some runs as a winger next season, but we all know how many wingers we've got). I'd rather Garuccio play as a winger, but if it's the only viable option to get him ample playing time next season, so be it.

A final thing: look at the best 2 teams last season, Brisbane and WSW. Brisbane had Corey Brown play as their LB for more than half of last season, and I don't rate him. While WSW played Adam D'Apuzzo as their LB for effectively the whole of last season, and at the end of last season he quit football to take up accounting, and he's only 27! So having a not very good fullback is no impediment to success, which is another reason why overall I wouldn't be fussed if Garuccio or possibly Tom King was our LB for the next A-League season.

I think the club left the final Visa spot (Koren will be announced imminently IMO) open in case Lampard considered joining David Villa on loan at our club, so I think the club will now move to sign a player to our final Visa spot now that Lampard is confirmed to go to Man City.

The question is, in what position should our final Visa signing play? Besides the Australian marquee spot, the final Visa spot is perhaps our only chance to sign up some quality with the space left on our teamsheet. Counting Koren (and Melling), we've signed 19 of our 23 players, and given that the remaining 2 odd spots will probably go to youth players (like Archibald and Retre), The Australian marquee spot and this remaining Visa spot seem like our only remaining chances to strengthen positions.

Unless we somehow manage to re-sign Engelaar (who I think I'd personally prefer over Lampard, especially given he'd be around for the whole season), I think signing a striker in James Poole might be the way to go (Poole can also play as a no 10, it seems). He scored 7 goals in 15 starts in the 2011/12 season, so I reckon Poole would chip in with a respectable amount of goals if we signed him. So hopefully we can sign Poole or another decent Visa player striker like him IMO. And hopefully with Kennedy or another quality striker as our Australian marquee, we won't be lacking in goal-scoring prowess anytime soon. 

Still not convinced King is any better than Mitchinson.

Mitchinson was primarily a centre-back played out of position though and while I thought he was okay, I don't really think he did enough in the end to justify a senior contract.

Serious questions about this lads professionalism, definitely a good thing that we've gotten rid of him.

says Koren is the club's 19th player on the roster

with 4 spots open i would like to see:

- Left back (King?)

- Aus marquee (Kennedy?)

- Visa DM 

- Young left footed CB as cover

Milos Lujic. We have Kisnorbo, Chapman, Wielaert and Archibald on the books who are CB's and if King is signed he too can play CB. I'd rather another out and out striker should Williams or Kennedy (if signed) get injured then we have no genuine striking options available.

• Like 1

Hope we sign this guy -

James Poole was always considered one of the top talents of the MCFC academy when he was there. That said, he ended up being one of the casualties of the change of standards from "we want to raise kids who might get a handful of games for a first team challenging for Europe" to "now we're at the top of the table and we only want the best players in the world".

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

Hope we sign this guy -

James Poole was always considered one of the top talents of the MCFC academy when he was there. That said, he ended up being one of the casualties of the change of standards from "we want to raise kids who might get a handful of games for a first team challenging for Europe" to "now we're at the top of the table and we only want the best players in the world".

Sign him up. Looks to have everything we need. Mooy, Duff, Koren, Villa and Poole...hell, yes!

Are they going to sign a visa striker that may take the bench and play second fiddle to Kennedy (and Villa)?

If it increases tactical flexibility then it's not a bad option. If any of those three players are spending the season sitting on the bench then we'll be travelling well. The concern that I have with Kennedy is his fitness, particularly for away games that involve long flights (Perth and Wellington) so it would be good to have an effective alternative for away games and home games for his inevitable back injuries.

Are they going to sign a visa striker that may take the bench and play second fiddle to Kennedy (and Villa)?

If it increases tactical flexibility then it's not a bad option. If any of those three players are spending the season sitting on the bench then we'll be travelling well. The concern that I have with Kennedy is his fitness, particularly for away games that involve long flights (Perth and Wellington) so it would be good to have an effective alternative for away games and home games for his inevitable back injuries.

It will also be nice to have a striking option that is different to Kennedy. Poole seems quick and good on the ball (and he isn't Willo)

We need to build for the future. Villa will be gone by January, and Kennedy has serious injury concerns. Poole is quick and mobile and can put it in the onion bag with his head and his feet, and goes for the half-chance. He's exactly what we need, the right age and can give us plenty of service, and because he's been with Hartlepool no-one pays any attention to him.

14 goals in 77 games in league 2... hrmm

Fair argument. Because he's quite young I'd be curious to see how many minutes he played across those 77 games. I wouldn't be surprised if he came on late or was subbed early in a lot of those games. And it also depends on whether he has had players in the team who can feed the ball to him.