Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

So, as pointed out in the audio & video thread, it looks like the club is especially keen to recruit 3 players before the start of the season: an attacking left back, a no 9 or striker, and a no 10 or playmaker.

As Scott Munn said:

Certainly the guys [JVS, Didulica, Marwood & co., presumably] are searching for an attacking left back. We do have a player there at the moment, a young player, so we probably need some cover in that space. And they're also still looking in the positions the no 9 and no 10, the striker and the playmaker, they're still hunting in those spots. It's an area in Australia that we just always struggle to have a wealth of talent.

Munn also said yesterday:

Damien Duff will join us tomorrow, so we'll start to see our foreign players come in, we've got a couple of other players trialling with us, foreign players trialling with us

And he revealed today that JVS spent a week scouting in Spain.

I reckon the recruitment is very good, and the positions targeted, if we can secure players in all of them, will tick off the final areas that the team needed to strengthen in. 

IMO the number 10 or playmaker position is the most important final signing (with the striker just missing out and being 2nd most important IMO). I'd say Engelaar pretty much ended up filling in that role last season, and having class in that position really increased the quality of the team by a few levels.

I'm wondering though what is the ideal type of number 10 or playmaker for our team? Are there any players past or present that very well exemplify what our number 10/playmaker should be like?

Lampard would be an incredible signing, and even if we just have him for 10~ games I'd be pretty pleased, because I reckon he's a pretty ideal number 10, who can create goals for others and can occasionally score them himself (and in Lampard's case, more than occasionally).

Any suggestions?

Edited by Murfy1

So, are pointed out in the audio & video thread, it looks like the club is especially keen to recruit 3 players before the start of the season: an attacking left back, a no 9 or striker, and a no 10 or playmaker.

As Scott Munn said:

Certainly the guys [JVS, Didulica, Marwood & co., presumably] are searching for an attacking left back. We do have a player there at the moment, a young player, so we probably need some cover in that space. And they're also still looking in the positions the no 9 and no 10, the striker and the playmaker, they're still hunting in those spots. It's an area in Australia that we just always struggle to have a wealth of talent.

Munn also said yesterday:

Damien Duff will join us tomorrow, so we'll start to see our foreign players come in, we've got a couple of other players trialling with us, foreign players trialling with us

And he revealed today that JVS spent a week scouting in Spain.

I reckon recruitment is very good, and the positions targeted, if we can secure players in all of them, will tick off the final areas that the team needed to strengthen in. 

IMO the number 10 or playmaker position is the most important final signing (with the striker just missing out and being 2nd most important IMO). I'd say Engelaar pretty much ended up filling in that role last season, and having class in that position really increased the quality of the team by a few levels.

I'm wondering though what is the ideal type of number 10 or playmaker for our team? Are there any players past or present that very well exemplify what our number 10/playmaker should be like?

Lampard would be an incredible signing, and even if we just have him for 10~ games I'd be pretty pleased, because I reckon he's a pretty ideal number 10, who can create goals for others and can occasionally score them himself (and in Lampard's case, more than occasionally).

Any suggestions?

I'm not going to make an actual suggestion - simply because as a humble TV viewer the players I am most familiar with are the older ones- I'd like someone between say 25-29 who could give us a few seasons.  

What I expect of a #10, is a skillful player who has good awareness, and yeah can score and set up goals.  Needs to have a good attitude and not be a rat bag prima donna.  Good enough to get a run in the weaker teams of the top leagues around the world.  Now a player like that would be very difficult to convince to come "down under" for our brief season, but  the Man City connection does give us hope where previously we probably had none.

• Like 1

Don't see how we could get Lampard unless he is our International Marquee. There is only one guest spot and we've (presumeably) used it for Villa. As for a loan spell, we'd have to find a way to fit him under the cap, which would take some creative accounting.

In my opinion, the marquee spot must be for a no 10. I could handle a marquee striker, but I would prefer a no 10. As for the last VISA spot, it depends on whether or not we get Kennedy. If we do it might be worth looking into a foreign full back instead, since I am sort of concerned about our defensive stocks.

• Like 1

Don't see how we could get Lampard unless he is our International Marquee. There is only one guest spot and we've (presumeably) used it for Villa. As for a loan spell, we'd have to find a way to fit him under the cap, which would take some creative accounting.

In my opinion, the marquee spot must be for a no 10. I could handle a marquee striker, but I would prefer a no 10. As for the last VISA spot, it depends on whether or not we get Kennedy. If we do it might be worth looking into a foreign full back instead, since I am sort of concerned about our defensive stocks.

Be very interesting to see who trials in the UK. Very interesting.

A couple of Spanish players with some flair would be great. It's something we have lacked over time, with Adelaide showing last year the quality of players on offer from there.

With the Spanish connections now available via Man City, I am sure there's hot to be something decent in their sights.

• Like 1

Germano could play RB too.

Hoffman had a decent season last year (likely his best yet) but he still needs a lot of work. I think it's something that is a concern, but if he can continue to develop he may well have funally found his position.

It may well be JA's best achievement in identifying him for that role from his time in charge :)

• Like 1

Germano should be our starting RB.

That for me, is a massive improvement already from last season. Like a new signing.

I still think Hoffman was good last year in that position. One of our most consistent performers, he times his tackles very well. However, in Ballarat germano played rb so I think what's going to happen is a fierce competition for that starting rb role which can only be a good thing

That for me, is a massive improvement already from last season. Like a new signing.

I still think Hoffman was good last year in that position. One of our most consistent performers, he times his tackles very well. However, in Ballarat germano played rb so I think what's going to happen is a fierce competition for that starting rb role which can only be a good thing

Consistently average! Only had him there because Walker fell out of favour...there are many better right backs for the same price than Hoffman! He got turned inside-out, back-to-front, upside-down too many times too easily. Yes there were games where he 'performed' alright, but we could definitely do a lot better than the Hoff!

I would rather Germano over Hoffman at RB as I'm sure most of us would but I think we're all being a little harsh on the Hoff, he turned in some admirable performances and was one of our better players over the course of the season. 

Props to him for reinventing himself as a footballer, it can't be easy going from a striker to a midfielder to a fullback.

Wonder if this guy would be a handy midfielder and possibly in cap?. I know I want a more creative 10 type but De Zeeuw seems interesting. Released by Anderlect after an unseccuessful spell (did score a CL goal against PSG) now training with an ametuer Dutch team.

Started the 2010 World Cup semi final on sbs now.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demy_de_Zeeuw

• Like 1

Consistently average! Only had him there because Walker fell out of favour...there are many better right backs for the same price than Hoffman! He got turned inside-out, back-to-front, upside-down too many times too easily. Yes there were games where he 'performed' alright, but we could definitely do a lot better than the Hoff!

I think that people on here probably need to concede that Walker was never as great player as was made out on here.

A "Youth Obsessed" fanbase voted him Man of the Match at a couple of home matches  and I think from there people really assumed that he was a lot further along in his development than what actually was the case.  

It was clear from last  preseason that the planning at MH was around Hoffman being the better option at RB and then JVS also showed thought out his time in charge that he clearly thought the same of the situation.

In saying that I would like to see Germano over Hoffman at Right Back - Mooy should be given a role as the Number 6.

Edited by cadete

Wonder if this guy would be a handy midfielder and possibly in cap?. I know I want a more creative 10 type but De Zeeuw seems interesting. Released by Anderlect after an unseccuessful spell (did score a CL goal against PSG) now training with an ametuer Dutch team.

Started the 2010 World Cup semi final on sbs now.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demy_de_Zeeuw

Bad attitude it says? If so, no thanks.

I think that people on here probably need to concede that Walker was never as great player as was made out on here.

A "Youth Obsessed" fanbase voted him Man of the Match at a couple of home matches  and I think from there people really assumed that he was a lot further along in his development than what actually was the case.  

It was clear from last  preseason that the planning at MH was around Hoffman being the better option at RB and then JVS also showed thought out his time in charge that he clearly thought the same of the situation.

In saying that I would like to see Germano over Hoffman at Right Back - Mooy should be given a role as the Number 6. I don't think we made him out to be more than what he was. He had a great partnership with Garcia, so when Garcia left he probably felt lost.

But I agree germano for rb. Has a bit of mongrel to him and is a good tackler. He'll probably be injured and suspended some games and hoff will be an ok backup.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-ins-and-outs/kirard6346ei1cirnnzq687h5

Melbourne City

It’s been a huge off-season for Melbourne City, with the club being taken over by new owners and undergoing a rebranding to mirror brothers Manchester City and New York City. That relationship has seen Spanish superstar David Villa signed for a 10-game guest stint, with a similar arrangement for England and Chelsea veteran Frank Lampard mooted in the press today. Add to the mix the signings of former Ireland international Damien Duff and Aaron Mooy and there’s no doubt City will be pushing for higher honours this season. 

Ins - Aaron Mooy, James Brown, Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling, David Villa (on loan), Damien Duff,

Outs - Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker, Aziz Behich

Interesting that the FFA's website would mention Lampard and also still no official confirmation of Engelaar leaving

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/hyundai-a-league-ins-and-outs/kirard6346ei1cirnnzq687h5

Melbourne City

It’s been a huge off-season for Melbourne City, with the club being taken over by new owners and undergoing a rebranding to mirror brothers Manchester City and New York City. That relationship has seen Spanish superstar David Villa signed for a 10-game guest stint, with a similar arrangement for England and Chelsea veteran Frank Lampard mooted in the press today. Add to the mix the signings of former Ireland international Damien Duff and Aaron Mooy and there’s no doubt City will be pushing for higher honours this season. 

Ins - Aaron Mooy, James Brown, Connor Chapman, Jacob Melling, David Villa (on loan), Damien Duff,

Outs - Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker, Aziz Behich

Interesting that the FFA's website would mention Lampard and also still no official confirmation of Engelaar leaving

Would prefer Engelaar to Lampard tbh. Am I crazy?

Melbourne City

Yep, but fully understand were your coming from.

Melbourne City

Yep, but fully understand were your coming from.

I think it's because I was watching this video yesterday, and the back end of it is filled with awesome Engelaar goals + assists.

Engelaar was still on our website last time I checked.

Maybe there's an agreement to come back if he can't find another club, or to loan him back to us, who knows.

I wouldn't worry about the club's website if I were you. It's not noted for being up-to-date in every respect. If you visit the "About Us" section you'll still see a reference to "Head Coach John Aloisi."

Maybe there's an agreement to come back if he can't find another club, or to loan him back to us, who knows.

I wouldn't worry about the club's website if I were you. It's not noted for being up-to-date in every respect. If you visit the "About Us" section you'll still see a reference to "Head Coach John Aloisi."

And the heart branding is still there too, pretty poor by the ffa really

And the heart branding is still there too, pretty poor by the ffa really

What did you expect?

Okay, so since things are slow I've resorted to trying to pick faces out of this club picture put on Twitter today. It looks like there are some new faces there:

Original:

Great to see the @MelbourneCity squad visiting the museum this afternoon. Good luck for the new season guys!

BsRucorCQAIBQex.jpg

https://twitter.com/FootballMuseum/status/487636099259723776

My stab at identifying the faces:

25sx56s.png

I think that's Jacob Melling in the middle, with Kisnorbo with his hands on his shoulders. And my guess is Brown is behind Mooy. I think a few players are missing. And it looks like it's effectively all staff on the left side, and players in the middle and on the right. So there's maybe 4 new players there by my count.  

Okay, 19 year old Left-back Tom King has been identified as being in the photo, I believe between Duff and Germano. He's a Liverpool youth product, who was with Liverpool for about 5 years, and garnered a respectable reputation (he also trialed with Utd and Man City before picking Liverpool). He was then picked up by Stoke City, and last season he played for Bristol City, and it looks like he now might be available.

Excellent news and I hope King does well during his trial with the team.

• Like 3