Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

How would you guys feel about getting Luke Wilkshire?

Uhhh...no.

I'm certainly not the guy's biggest fan but uhh... do you have a better idea?

Hard to imagine him going from 5mil a season in Russisa to under the cap here 

$5 mil a season? For Wilkshire?

Does he have some incrininating pics of someone at the club that gets him that.. Seriously thats certainly out of the realm of common sense :)

• Like 1

^^ not sure that we have that much space for him anyway.

The squads this year all look to be strengthening dramatically, with Newcastle's side looking stronger by the day.

Overall, CCM seem the weakest so far in their pre-season signings, but we all know they somehow still seem to get results.

MV have brought in a couple of good signings, but overall have a fairly young and inexperienced squad. Will be interesting to see how that works this year with Muscat having to implement a new system on his own (ie. not just using Ange's MV template).

• Like 1

^^ MV have brought in a couple of good signings, but overall have a fairly young and inexperienced squad. Will be interesting to see how that works this year with Muscat having to implement a new system on his own (ie. not just using Ange's MV template).

Apart from studs up........Muscat has a system???

^^ MV have brought in a couple of good signings, but overall have a fairly young and inexperienced squad. Will be interesting to see how that works this year with Muscat having to implement a new system on his own (ie. not just using Ange's MV template).

Apart from studs up........Muscat has a system???

The "Flying Λ" system!

Λ or Lambda is the 11th character of the Greek Alphabet, which looks like an upside down "V"...

• Like 1

One thing that gets me thinking is what direction the club will take in regards to our academy. With the FFA national curriculum (of which I only hear good things about), will the club be hiring coaches who have done the FFA youth badges, or go more in house?

FFA stipulates that coaches from the premier league up (so I assume that includes HAL clubs) have a curtain level of coaching cirtificates, either FFA badges or equivalent.

For me I hope they run with what the FFA has put in place with their NC, it has a clear path to our national teams and as I said earlier it sounds like it's doing the job. One coach said kids who are 12-13 are doing things the seniors can't and this is the age at where the NC is starting to reap rewards.

It's a curiosity, as CFG will most likely want all teams playing the same, but I wonder if they will want to unify youth coaching, or if like in Australia they will conform with the FFA and maybe even learn from it?

Ins - Aaron Mooy (Wanderers), James Brown (Jets), Connor Chapman (Jets), Jacob Melling, David Villa (on loan from New York City)Damien Duff (Fulham)

Outs - Patrick Gerhardt, Sam Mitchinson, David Vrankovic, Jeremy Walker, Aziz Behich, 

On Heraldsun website outlining each clubs in's and out's would like to point out that maybe two of the out's were starters (Gerhardt and Behich) were as three to four in's would be starters (Mooy, Villa, Duff and James Brown or Connor Chapman) so far I think we are ahead, obviously they have missed Engelaar leaving or know something we don't....unlikely but I think the main point of difference will be our two Marquees,  I like the way things are shaping at the moment. 

Doubt the visitors could fit him in financially or starting 11 even, with Finkler, Milligan and Valeri.

West Sydney are probably the only other club that have the room for him, along with us and Jets. He wouldn't go to Wellington.

The lure of signing for one of the biggest football conglomerates in the world would surely see him sign for us. He could well imagine that if he played well and being on CFG's book books he could easily be off to England, America or Japan. Farck, if this was the opportunity that football was presenting me when I was 15 (way back in the dark ages hahahahaha) I'd seriously have thought about giving up the thought of uni and thrown myself into being a pro footballer. Geez the youngsters have it easy these dayz :ph34r:

I'm 99% certain that we are the "one [club] from Melbourne" interested in Paartalu.

victory have already signed Carl Valeri this off-season, so along with Milligan they are fine in that position.

Whereas we could strengthen in that position, and I think that's what's been considered with players like George Evans trialling in the defensive midfielder position recently. Especially if Germano ends up playing as a right-back next season, I think it would be imperative for us to sign a quality player who can start week in week out as 1 of our DMs in midfield.

Also remember that earlier this year in January (post-takeover BTW) and February that we tried to sign Paartalu, twice, as Davutovic reported: "My information is that has been inquiries from 3 A-League clubs [about Paartalu], and they're the same clubs that had a crack at him about 2 or 3 weeks ago, that's Melbourne Heart, Melbourne Victory as well as Sydney FC." 

With Postecoglou firmly telling Paartalu he can't play in Thailand and make the Socceroos, I think there's a pretty good chance that he'll leave Thailand soon, with Paartalu hoping that he can make the Socceroos Asian Cup squad in January next year. He said he still wanted to play for the Socceroos and was hopeful that he could make the World Cup squad after he signed for his Thai club, so Ange telling him he can't make the Socceroos whilst playing in Thailand could very possibly be decisive in making him decide to play in the A-League again.

Paartalu would be a pretty perfect signing for us IMO. I think Paartalu would excellently complement Mooy in midfield, and with a marquee midfielder as well we'd very likely have the best midfield in the competition. And Paartalu just turned 28, so we could enjoy and see a lot of success from a Mooy-Paartalu-Marquee midfield for many seasons to come.

There's been a lot of talk that our club would have a strong allure and pulling power for many players now that it's owned by Man City, and that the takeover would cause us to regularly sign quality players. I really hope that's illustrated here and our club is able to convince Paartalu to sign for us.

I was under the impression that Victory were looking for a potential Milligan replacement but I didn't realise he had already confirmed he was staying, my bad! I would love Paartalu though as I don't really think Mooy is best utilised as a holding midfielder. 

But I do honestly believe he is Jets-bound, they have nobody who can play the position aside from our first ever goalscorer, Kantarovski.

I thought Paartalu was Jets-bound after a media article yesterday hinted that he was going there, but after reading the above article I don't think Paartalu is a certainty to go to Newcastle anymore. Paartalu's agent's words should accurately reflect where things are at:

The 28 year-old's Sydney-based agent David O'Keefe dismissed newspaper reports that the domineering midfielder had already agreed terms with Newcastle Jets and would be announced imminently as its latest capture, insisting that any discussions were at an "embryonic stage".

"There has been a phone call from Newcastle and that's about it as this stage but the reality is his current club are happy with him and they are quite keen to extend and there's no truth that he has agreed terms with anybody," O'Keefe said.

"There are also two other teams interested in Australia, one from Sydney and one from Melbourne, as well as the interest from Japan from a club he came close to joining in January.

"But there is nothing formal on the table from anyone at this stage."

The Japanese Club appears to be J2, so I think it looks pretty likely ATM that Paartalu will come back to the A-League.

So the question is: which A-League club is most attractive to Paartalu?

And even though the Jets are looking a little better run this year, I believe that we should be able to effectively gazump any Jets offer (as long as they don't make him a marquee), given how much our club has to offer, and how we compare relative to other A-League clubs.

If the Jets beat us to signing Paartalu, after our club has had him as a target for much of this year, then 10 game stints for name marquees aside, someone's going to have to remind me of the perks that come with being owned by a club like Manchester City, because the perks will be looking pretty limited to me if we get bested by the Jets in instances such as this.

Edited by Murfy1

Sounds to me like his agent is perhaps trying to bump up his value? I dunno.

It'd be really interesting to see how much room we have left in the salary cap to be honest as it must be nearing capacity. I'm aware we've got a decent proportion of "squad players" who likely wouldn't be on too much coin but surely squeezing the likes of Mooy, Duff, Williams (who was Australian marquee) and to a lesser extent, Wielaert and Kisnorbo under the cap has surely got to have taken its toll. 

As a player who seems to enjoy some $$$ (can't imagine why else you'd go to Thailand to play professional football), I think the Jets probably have more monetary flexibility with regards to the cap although there is the possibility that we could land him as an Australian marquee if we're desperate enough.

But as you alluded to earlier Murf, if Paartalu's primary objective is to be in Socceroos contention then perhaps he might end up coming here, who knows!

• Like 1

How much salary cap space we have left is a good point. It is a real unknown. But there was multiple mentions after the A-League season finished (i.e. after the grand final was played) that we had a significant amount of space free inside the cap. And I'm pretty hopeful (and pretty sure) that all of our re-signings, bar Williams, would be on low salaries.

And simply because of the fact that we only have 17-18 senior team players signed up ATM, I reckon we could sign at least 1 more quality player inside the cap, then sign 2 marquees (both outside the cap of course), and then sign 1 or 2 promising young players if there is very little salary cap space left (I'm a bit more optimistic though, and think we could possibly sign 2 more good players inside the cap, and 1 of those players could be Paartalu).

Also, an inherent problem for 'low-profile' clubs like Newcastle is that they have to pay ordinary/not-so-good players a good amount of money to secure them, like how we ended up paying David Williams about $350,000 per season for 3 seasons to bring him to Melbourne Heart. I'd guess that their players eat up more salary cap space than one would reasonably guess.

And finally I reckon with A-League clubs, where there generally isn't a lot of difference between the sums of money offered by clubs, that other factors can be pretty important, like recent success (which has attracted a number of players to Brisbane for example, like Lustica), a club being located in a player's hometown or a desirable location (e.g. Murdocca with us), and a club being perceived to be 'the biggest' or having the most opportunities for the player seeking a move.

It's hard to know exactly what Paartalu's decision to sign for a new club will be based on, but I reckon we're in with a good chance given Postecoglou preparedness to bring A-League players into the Socceroos, the fact that we should have a decent amount of space left in the cap (even if there's not a great amount of space left in the cap) and the fact that our club post-takeover should offer a lot of opportunities for players relative to other A-League clubs.

• Like 1

Wouldn't imagine we'd have more cap than Newcastle.  Our selling point isn't money though, so if Paartalu wants to be part of it, and wants to break into Europe at some stage, he'd be better off joining us.

Be amazing if he could join under cap, and then we land 2 star marquees.  That would make a difference to our ins/outs quality which at this stage is neutral at best (minus 10 game guests).

Wouldn't imagine we'd have more cap than Newcastle.  Our selling point isn't money though, so if Paartalu wants to be part of it, and wants to break into Europe at some stage, he'd be better off joining us.

Be amazing if he could join under cap, and then we land 2 star marquees.  That would make a difference to our ins/outs quality which at this stage is neutral at best (minus 10 game guests).

See, you'd think so initially but when you think about it... Newcastle had 3 players selected in the initial Socceroos squad for the World Cup and now both Taggart and Brillante are plying their trade in Europe. 

Edited by Nate

Sounds to me like his agent is perhaps trying to bump up his value? I dunno.

It'd be really interesting to see how much room we have left in the salary cap to be honest as it must be nearing capacity. I'm aware we've got a decent proportion of "squad players" who likely wouldn't be on too much coin but surely squeezing the likes of Mooy, Duff, Williams (who was Australian marquee) and to a lesser extent, Wielaert and Kisnorbo under the cap has surely got to have taken its toll. 

As a player who seems to enjoy some $$$ (can't imagine why else you'd go to Thailand to play professional football), I think the Jets probably have more monetary flexibility with regards to the cap although there is the possibility that we could land him as an Australian marquee if we're desperate enough.

But as you alluded to earlier Murf, if Paartalu's primary objective is to be in Socceroos contention then perhaps he might end up coming here, who knows!

Well, we were apparently still trying to lure Engelaar back under the cap until a couple of weeks ago. So there must be a reasonable amount left. Further, we have to get up to a minimum squad of 21, inclusive of any marquees, and we're not there yet.