Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Since day 1 we haven't had a decent left winger who would regularly have the opposition defenders on their toes. Someone who can score 5+ goals a season and chip in with the equal amount of assists. If you had to make and XI of the best players we've had at Heart the left wing would be the biggest disappointment.

The list of guys who've been regulars include Worm, Williams, Alex Terra & Ramsay

After signing a marquee striker this should be our next priority if we plan to be more dangerous in the final third.

I think Ben Garruccio could become that player.

Unfortunately it looks as if Garruccio is being groomed as a left back, which is the wrong move in my opinion.

• Like 2

Since day 1 we haven't had a decent left winger who would regularly have the opposition defenders on their toes. Someone who can score 5+ goals a season and chip in with the equal amount of assists. If you had to make and XI of the best players we've had at Heart the left wing would be the biggest disappointment.

The list of guys who've been regulars include Worm, Williams, Alex Terra & Ramsay

After signing a marquee striker this should be our next priority if we plan to be more dangerous in the final third.

Unfortunately it looks as if Garruccio is being groomed as a left back, which is the wrong move in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more (out of likes). Outside of the derby he has clearly shown he is a winger, not an LB. To keep on playing him there next season would be a mistake. Still should be starting every game next season with Mauk though.

Couldn't agree more (out of likes). Outside of the derby he has clearly shown he is a winger, not an LB. To keep on playing him there next season would be a mistake. Still should be starting every game next season with Mauk though.

Let's hope that Garruccio at left back has just been an 'experiment' by JvS.

With the rumour of Melling coming over from Adelaide it seems as if we are returning to somewhat of a 'youth policy', which the club has strayed from drastically in the past few years. With the possibility of a world class academy we may be able to attract the best young players from around the country.

We need to sign 3 strikers over the off-season, minimum.

Next biggest problems include depth for the full-back positions, lack of a playmaker (although Mauk is looking more and more promising in this role) and lack of a defensive-minded enforcing midfielder (think Srhoj, but bigger and not as shit).

Agree that Garuccio should be our starting left winger, we would be incredibly daft to try and groom him as a left-back when we now have the available scouting resources to find a ready-made left-back who is ready to go day 1.

• Like 2

Here's the known players that Heart have for next season broken down into positions:

2014/15 Heart Players

Goalkeepers

- Andrew Redmayne 
- Tando Velaphi

Defenders

Central Defenders

- Rob Wielaert  
- Patrick Kisnorbo

Fullbacks

- Jason Hoffman 

Midfielders

- Jonatan Germano 
- Massimo Murdocca 
- Stefan Mauk  
- Nick Kalmar 
- Aaron Mooy

Forwards 

- Mate Dugandzic  
- Ben Garuccio 
- Iain Ramsay
- David Williams 

Murfy1, I don't see enough quality on ours lines for us to win silverware.

Need a quality goalkeeper for sure.

Defensively we can look shaky. Both Wielaert and Paddy need support as you say. I didn't think I'd be saying this but NTP for WSW has become a pretty solid player not that we need to chase him but a couple of solid and experienced heads would be welcome on that line. For all the rubbish we've put onto him, Captain Hoff has pleasantly surprised me. He just needs to continues to improve. A replacement for Behich?

Midfield, I have my doubts about our list. Germano could easily go injured again and I'm not a fan of Kalmar - too slow and with an eye to passing backwards. Mass is a grafter and can play a role but he basically runs around scavenging not so much a creative player. I'm a fan of Mauk and he could be great for us but needs time to develop. And Mooy, well he's been benched by Popo in recent times and his best work I think is alongside a quality player like Ono. We need to get a quality replacement for Engelaar. Loved it when we had Sibon. What you get from these guys is what you can't teach easily. Instinctive understanding of what to do when with plenty of skill to boot. Like Harry.

The forwards are basically providers for a central striker and shouldn't be relied upon to be key goals scorers. Yes, a couple of strikers please with pedigree if possible.

Edited by HEARTinator

That squad is paper-thin, we will struggle next season even if we bring in 3 A-Grade foreigners. Pretty upset that Wielart is there next season while Engelaar isn't.

Please for the love of god can Germano get a crack at RB? We have nothing to lose.

Wielaert is there because he is a typical JVS player.

Can read the game, can pass a ball, organises those around him, but makes far too many mistakes because of a lack of concentration.

Also, he is on nowhere near as much cash as Engelaar.

Agree with Malimate and Heartinator. You might trot that side out in an FFA Cup match against SL opposition (if we get past our A-League opponents in our first match in that competition) but it would struggle to win in the league.

We needed a quality GK but won't have room for one now. We will continue to leak unnecessary goals from that weakness alone.

Hoffman looks OK but he is frequently out of position. So need a both RB and LB, plus another central defender (with Archibald coming though the ranks).

Reckon we need at least two quality midfielders to complement Mauk and Mooy.

Marquee striker plus two quality wingers up front.

That's eight. Probably just got room to do that.

Goalie is a huge problem.  Looks like we will have one of the poorest in the league again.

A few other comments:

• Can't believe we* are stuck with Kalmar for another year.  Just taking up a spot that should go to a player with potential.
  • Germano is passable but no world beater.  Really want him at right back when he gives the ball away 10 metres from goal? (twice in 3 seconds in fact)  
  • If we* bring in 3 top players, those guys Murfy have listed will fit in well around them.
Edited by Shahanga

James Brown looks like another Ramsey to me. Having said that though he looked every bit as good as Halloran when they were both at Gold Coast. Always difficult to tell with a standout player in a shit side alla Williams at Fury. I'd much prefer us to cultivate one of our younger midfield/attacker types (Benny Boy or Mauk) than clog our list with this guy.

Ross Archibald won youth player of the year last night, hopefully he's given the chance to step up and play more senior football next year.

Can see this happening. Had a good feeling that our youth players are going to develop very nicely given the expertise of our new owners

Ross Archibald won youth player of the year last night, hopefully he's given the chance to step up and play more senior football next year.

Can see this happening. Had a good feeling that our youth players are going to develop very nicely given the expertise of our new owners

Nice, I like his name as well lol. :D

Here's the known players that Heart have for next season broken down into positions:

2014/15 Heart Players

Goalkeepers

- Andrew Redmayne

- Tando Velaphi

Defenders

Central Defenders

- Rob Wielaert

- Patrick Kisnorbo

Fullbacks

- Jason Hoffman

Midfielders

- Jonatan Germano

- Massimo Murdocca

- Stefan Mauk

- Nick Kalmar

- Aaron Mooy

Forwards

- Mate Dugandzic

- Ben Garuccio

- Iain Ramsay

- David Williams

The above list assumes that Behich, Gerhardt, Walker, Vrankovic and Mitchinson go, which seems likely.

So including Mooy, Heart have 14 players, leaving 9 spots free. Heart has also been linked with the recently released 19 year old Jacob Melling, although it's unclear if he'd be signed on a senior contract or a NYL contract. Also, of course, Heart also has another team of players to call upon in the NYL side, and I can imagine a few youth team players like Schroen and Archibald knocking on the door by next season, and 3 NYL players might even be signed to the senior team (although they wouldn't count towards the 23).

The question is how should Heart fill the remaining 9 spots? Which positions (e.g. striker, LB) do Heart definitely need to sign players in?

ATM, I personally would most like to see:

- 2 strikers (1 marquee, 1 in the cap)

- 1 No 10 (marquee)

- 1 LB

- 1 RB

- 2 CBs

Then I'm pretty undecided. Maybe:

- 1 LW or another striker

- And 1 space free

With Mooy coming to Heart, and the likes of Mauk and Germano secured for next season, I'm pretty pleased with our midfielders. Maybe that final free spot could be used on a versatile central midfielder.

For the 2 CBs, I'd like to see 1 at a good age (mid or early 20s), maybe Brendan Hamill or Luke DeVere, and the other could be a young defender, possibly Ross Archibald. Archibald though could possibly be signed outside the 23 (as 1 of the 3 NYL players), but if that's the case Jacob Melling might require a senior contract, as Heart need 3 players under 20 in the 23-man squad (Mauk and Garuccio being the other 2).

I think Heart need at least 2, if not 3, goal scoring forwards that can play centrally. I'd rather the team have too many strikers than too few, so I think using 3 spots on strikers is justified.

Not sure exactly where I'd most prefer the 3 VISA spots to be used. Maybe 1 on the no. 10 (who's also a marquee), 1 on a fullback (probably RB, as there are some good Aussie LBs about), and one on another forward, who's either LW or a striker (our own Jeronimo Neumann, so to speak).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. There's massive scope and opportunity for improving the team, so let the fun and optimism of the rebuild begin!

Good stuff Murf.

I would like us to promote youth, first and formost.

Garuccio is a tallent, but could be groomed to be the new Behich. That said he did well in the derby and against wsw. But like everyone else I would rather him played more forward.

Our weakest points imho is striker, dm (if engelaar leaves and Murdocca stays), both fullbacks, a CD and keeper.

I think the Hoff would make an allright DM, but I would like to have better.

Does anyone have an opinion on our youth's, who could make the step up?

There were a few who impressed in the youth league.

Ross Archibald did nicely for me, he's a big, ball playing defender who'se got quite deceptively quick closing speed, more integration into the first team would do him a world of good (even if his first touch of senior football nearly lead to a Victory goal :D )

Our GK stocks look pretty good, but its unlikely any of them are going to step up next year due to the resigning of both Tando and Redders.

Marcus Schroen looks good as an attacking option from midfield, scored a few good goals this year. (Not actually sure of his age, so he might not be eligible for youth team selection next year.

Andrew Mullett played left back for Dandy Thunder and was excellent in the 2012 season, he's been shifted around a little, but after Garrucio's rocket start at left back, he's cooled off a little, so I'd like to see Mullett given the chance to have a go at that spot (he's 20 this year).

Something our team needs for next season

Brendan Rodgers resists widening brief of psychiatrist at Liverpool
Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-009.jpg
The Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has stressed the importance of the club's psychiatrist Steve Peters. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Brendan Rodgers will not be extending the remit of Steve PetersLiverpool's psychiatrist, as the manager strives to maximise any potential advantage in the title race.

"Steve just works with individuals," said Rodgers, who has resisted suggestions that Peters's brief might be widened to embrace the entire first-team squad. "There's no change and no need to change. It's just about reinforcing things now, we don't need to do anything different. It's just a case of retaining the focus. The players are enjoying their work. I've seen the intensity and tempo keep going up a notch and that's because of excitement. There's certainly no fear."

Not that Rodgers in any way underestimates Peters's impact. "We have a great professional team behind the team here," he said. "As a manager you only know 90%, you can't know everything, and it's very important you have the team around you to fill those gaps.

"Every club I've been at I've always worked with a neurologist or sports psychologist. Coming to Liverpool it was important we got in the best. When I first met Steve he was not sure about football because he'd always been kept at arm's length and the experiences he'd had in football very briefly were not very good. We asked him to come and it's worked extremely well. He and I have a very close relationship in terms of the importance of the role."

Having secured permission from Rodgers, Peters is also helping Roy Hodgson and will be working with England at the World Cup in Brazil. He is very much in the limelight but Liverpool are not worried about their psychiatrist possibly defecting, let alone taking advice from snooker's Ronnie O'Sullivan and decamping to Manchester United.

"Steve's had chances to go to other clubs but he's very happy here," Rodgers said. "Often in football mental skills get forgotten about but, for me, they are the key to winning. Steve's a genius in that field and such an understanding guy. He's also great for me to bounce ideas off because command can be lonely."

What hurts me more than anything at this time of the season is that our closest rivals are still playing plenty of football, both in the ACL and in the A-League finals series, while we are in mothballs, desperately scanning media outlets for some snippet of news that might give us some slight hope for a better season next time.

Really, really hurts.

• Like 1

What hurts me more than anything at this time of the season is that our closest rivals are still playing plenty of football, both in the ACL and in the A-League finals series, while we are in mothballs, desperately scanning media outlets for some snippet of news that might give us some slight hope for a better season next time.

Really, really hurts.

It is rather painful, but as a Heart supporter I'm somewhat used to it (tragically).

Scanning the media desperately looking for some hope, as well as a distraction from talk about the colour change, I saw a follow up article also stating that Jacob Melling is on his way to Heart: http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/football/nigel-boogaard-signs-oneyear-contract-extension-with-adelaide-united/story-fnhq6mvc-1226889117429

One key thing I like about the signing of Melling is that Adelaide were persuaded to release him from his contract early (he had 1 year left). Now since A-League clubs can't actually buy players from one another, it would help Heart's recruitment going forward if Heart could regularly convince players and clubs to release contracted players to join Heart. Hopefully that's one of the leg-ups this club develops over other A-League clubs, a strong pulling power to attract the best players to this club, which manages to even overcome contracts players have to other A-League clubs (that's the traditional big club advantage in Europe of course, to snap up the best league talents even if they are contracted. It would be good to see Heart have a similar advantage here).

Also, the above article mentions that 2 rather talented young players are likely to be released from Adelaide.

The first is Daniel Bowles, 22, a right-back (apparently also a winger) who first played senior football for Gold Coast United in 2011/12, getting 12 appearances (8 starts, playing a total of 774 minutes) and also getting 2 goals. Then after GCU went under, he signed for 2 seasons with Adelaide, where he had 16 apps last season (14 starts, 1238 mins) and got 1 goal, but he suffered a broken ankle bone and didn't feature much this season. He played for the Australian U18 and U19 teams, and played 14 games for the U20 team (where he also got 2 goals). Could be a very shrewd signing.

The second is Jake Barker-Daish, 20, an attacking midfielder who was born and raised in Melbourne. He also played for GCU in 2011/12 before joining Adelaide for last season and this season. At Adelaide this season and last season, he's made 19 appearances (only 5 starts, though, playing a total of 660 minutes) and getting 2 goals. In 2010 Barker-Daish was the AIS player of the year, and he's made 17 appearances for the Australian U20 team, getting 4 goals, and 3 appearances for the U23 team. Also similar to Bowles, Barker-Daish suffered a foot injury and afterwards couldn't regularly get near the starting XI. He's young enough to be able to be signed on a youth/NYL contract I'm pretty sure, so I definitely think Heart should snap him up.

There are 2 other interesting young Australian players likely to be released at the end of the season that I think Heart should contemplate signing. The first is Mitchell Mallia, 22, and a striker at Sydney FC who was the NYL golden boot winner in 2011/12 (with 11 goals), whereafter he was apart of the Sydney FC senior team in 2012/12 (although he didn't feature much in that unsuccessful campaign for Sydney), and this season he largely played in the NYL team (understandable, as Sydney have signed so many strikers) and he was the 2nd highest scorer in the NYL, with 13 goals.

The other player is Adrian Zahra. We all know this 23 year old, and he's off contract with Perth at the end of the season and likely to be released. I think Zahra could get back to being a promising and exciting player under JVS at Heart next season, and could be good cover or competition for Dugandzic for the right winger position.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the best young Australian players that should be available at the end of the season. I certainly don't expect that they all will be signed, but IMO they all could be handy Australian signings for next season.

we have 10 spots left don't we? And two visas plus a marquee so we have to sign 7 Aus players we will sign and I am curious to know what starting 11 players we could sign either from Asia or another a league club (provided they are released)

yes our biggest rivals our still playing plenty of football but it could all change within a week. A loss tonight and a loss in the ACL next round will knock them out of all competitions and then things are back to square 1. They won't be in the ACL next season, they have a few of their big players leaving in the off season and already the team that Ange put together is falling apart and muscat has the job to rebuild...

In the 4 seasons we have been in the league they have won nothing. Now that we've got the CFG as investors, it looks like they won't be winning anything for a very long time. By the time they get even close to us, we would've overtaken them on the football field and hopefully in the stands

Would gladly take Zahra back. Bowles and/or Mallia would be strong additions too

I would take Jake Barker-Daish but those others I would pass on.

Mallia in particular just doesn't cut it at HAL level. His ball control is very, very average.

Remember that our Maltese "Messi" was doing much better in the NYL also, but we all saw how great he was when he made the senior side.

we have 10 spots left don't we? And two visas plus a marquee so we have to sign 7 Aus players we will sign and I am curious to know what starting 11 players we could sign either from Asia or another a league club (provided they are released)

I've been wondering what Australian players are out there. Here's an updated list I've compiled:

Name - Age - Date Contract finishes - Club [League]

AUSTRALIAN PLAYERS

GOALKEEPERS

- Adam Rederici - 29 - June 2015 - Reading FC

DEFENDERS

CBs

- Adrian Madaschi - 31 - Uncontracted
- Matthew Spiranovic - 25 - June 2014 - Western Sydney Wanderers FC
- Zach Anderson - 22 - June 2014 - Central Coast Mariners FC
- Ryan McGowan - 24 - Dec 2014 - Shandong Luneng [China Div 1]  
- Luke Devere - 24 - Dec 2014 - Gyeongnam FC [Korea Div 1] 
- Alex Wilkinson - 29 - Dec 2014 - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors [Korea Div 1] 
- Bailey Wright - 21 - June 2015 - Preston North End FC
- Tomislav Mrcela - 23 - June 2015 - NK Hrvatski Dragovoljac [Croatia Div 1]
- Harry Ascroft - 18- June 2015 - VVV-Venlo [Netherlands Div 2]
- Aleksandar Jovanovic - 24 - contract details unknown - Jeju United [Korea Div 1] 
- Brendan Hamill - 21 - contract details unknown - Seongnam FC [Korea Div 1] 

LBs

- Shane Lowry - 24 - June 2014 - Millwall FC 
- Jason Davidson - 22 - June 2014 - Heracles 
- James Meredith - 26 - June 2014- Bradford City  
- Michael Zullo - 25 - June 2015 - Utrecht FC

RBS

- Daniel Bowles - 22 - Uncontracted
- Luke Wilkshire - 32 - June 2014 - Dynamo Moscow

MIDFIELDERS

- Carl Valeri - 29 - June 2014 - Owned by Sassuolo [serie A]
- James Wesolowski - 26 - June 2014 - Oldham Athletic FC
- Andrew Marveggio - 21 - June 2014 - Telstar [Netherlands Div 2]
- Neil Kilkenny - 28 - June 2014 - Preston North End FC
- Erik Paartalu - 27 - Dec 2014 - Muangthong United [Thailand Div 1]
- Nathan Burns - 25 - Dec 2014 - apparently his club Incheon United is open to releasing him
- Jackson Irvine - 21 - June 2015 - Owned by Celtic FC
- Travis Cooper - 20 - June 2015 - VVV-Venlo [Netherlands Div 2]
- Chris Herd - 25 - June 2015 - Aston Villa FC
- Brett Holman - 30 - June 2015 - Al-Nasr [uAE Div 1]
- James Holland - 24 -June 2015 - Austria Vienna [Austria Div 1]
- Tommy Oar - 22 - June 2015 - FC Utrecht
- Oliver Bozanic - 25 - June 2015 - FC Luzern [switzerland Div 1] 
- Mustafa Amini - 20 - June 2015 - Borussia Dortmund
- Mark Bresciano - 34 - June 2015 - Al-Gharafa [Qatar Div 1]
- Paul Katsetis - 18 - Dec 2015 - Catania
- Massimo Luongo - 21 - June 2016 - Swindon Town 
- Bradden Inman - 22 - June 2016 - Crewe Alexandra
- Steven Ugarkovic - 19 - June 2016 - Osijek [Croatia Div 1]

STRIKERS

- Richard Porta - 30 - June 2014 - Nacional [uruguay Div 1]
- Georgios Samaras - 29 - June 2014 - Celtic FC - Has an Australian passport, so he wouldn't need a VISA spot
- Joshua Kennedy - 31 - Dec 2014 - Nagoya Grampus
- Scott McDonald - 30 - June 2015 - Millwall FC - His club might be open to releasing him
- Apostolos (or Paul) Giannou - 24 - June 2015 - Panionios [Greece Div 1] - Reported to be keen to join the A-League

So if the club is prepared to be pro-active in recruitment, then several good Australian players could easily be recruited, especially if the club was prepared to pay transfer fees. So as far as I can see, there's nothing stopping JVS, JD and Man City from building a team that can challenge for top honours next season.
  • Like 1

I've been wondering what Australian players are out there. Here's an updated list I've compiled:

Name - Age - Date Contract finishes - Club [League]

AUSTRALIAN PLAYERS

GOALKEEPERS

- Adam Rederici - 29 - June 2015 - Reading FC

DEFENDERS

CBs

- Adrian Madaschi - 31 - Uncontracted
- Matthew Spiranovic - 25 - June 2014 - Western Sydney Wanderers FC
- Zach Anderson - 22 - June 2014 - Central Coast Mariners FC
- Ryan McGowan - 24 - Dec 2014 - Shandong Luneng [China Div 1]  
- Luke Devere - 24 - Dec 2014 - Gyeongnam FC [Korea Div 1] 
- Alex Wilkinson - 29 - Dec 2014 - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors [Korea Div 1] 
- Bailey Wright - 21 - June 2015 - Preston North End FC
- Tomislav Mrcela - 23 - June 2015 - NK Hrvatski Dragovoljac [Croatia Div 1]
- Harry Ascroft - 18- June 2015 - VVV-Venlo [Netherlands Div 2]
- Aleksandar Jovanovic - 24 - contract details unknown - Jeju United [Korea Div 1] 
- Brendan Hamill - 21 - contract details unknown - Seongnam FC [Korea Div 1] 

LBs

- Shane Lowry - 24 - June 2014 - Millwall FC 
- Jason Davidson - 22 - June 2014 - Heracles 
- James Meredith - 26 - June 2014- Bradford City  
- Michael Zullo - 25 - June 2015 - Utrecht FC

RBS

- Daniel Bowles - 22 - Uncontracted
- Luke Wilkshire - 32 - June 2014 - Dynamo Moscow

MIDFIELDERS

- Carl Valeri - 29 - June 2014 - Owned by Sassuolo [serie A]
- James Wesolowski - 26 - June 2014 - Oldham Athletic FC
- Andrew Marveggio - 21 - June 2014 - Telstar [Netherlands Div 2]
- Neil Kilkenny - 28 - June 2014 - Preston North End FC
- Erik Paartalu - 27 - Dec 2014 - Muangthong United [Thailand Div 1]
- Nathan Burns - 25 - Dec 2014 - apparently his club Incheon United is open to releasing him
- Jackson Irvine - 21 - June 2015 - Owned by Celtic FC
- Travis Cooper - 20 - June 2015 - VVV-Venlo [Netherlands Div 2]
- Chris Herd - 25 - June 2015 - Aston Villa FC
- Brett Holman - 30 - June 2015 - Al-Nasr [uAE Div 1]
- James Holland - 24 -June 2015 - Austria Vienna [Austria Div 1]
- Tommy Oar - 22 - June 2015 - FC Utrecht
- Oliver Bozanic - 25 - June 2015 - FC Luzern [switzerland Div 1] 
- Mustafa Amini - 20 - June 2015 - Borussia Dortmund
- Mark Bresciano - 34 - June 2015 - Al-Gharafa [Qatar Div 1]
- Paul Katsetis - 18 - Dec 2015 - Catania
- Massimo Luongo - 21 - June 2016 - Swindon Town 
- Bradden Inman - 22 - June 2016 - Crewe Alexandra
- Steven Ugarkovic - 19 - June 2016 - Osijek [Croatia Div 1]

STRIKERS

- Richard Porta - 30 - June 2014 - Nacional [uruguay Div 1]
- Georgios Samaras - 29 - June 2014 - Celtic FC - Has an Australian passport, so he wouldn't need a VISA spot
- Joshua Kennedy - 31 - Dec 2014 - Nagoya Grampus
- Scott McDonald - 30 - June 2015 - Millwall FC - His club might be open to releasing him
- Apostolos (or Paul) Giannou - 24 - June 2015 - Panionios [Greece Div 1] - Reported to be keen to join the A-League

So if the club is prepared to be pro-active in recruitment, then several good Australian players could easily be recruited, especially if the club was prepared to pay transfer fees. So as far as I can see, there's nothing stopping JVS, JD and Man City from building a team that can challenge for top honours next season.

Luke Devere - 24 - Dec 2014 - Gyeongnam FC [Korea Div 1] - Yes on that one. Still young but is a solid player based on previous form back at BR.

Bailey Wright - 21 - June 2015 - Preston North End FC - He was recently charged with being involved in match fixing from memory, so no

Apostolos (or Paul) Giannou - 24 - June 2015 - Panionios [Greece Div 1 - Certainly a decent pick up if we can get him.

Edited by Heart_fan

We have to sign Paartalu now dont we? Have made an attempt before the take over now surely as a club we must be probably the most desirable in the league for players to sign up for.

Dont really want Bresc anymore, too old and apparently the Qatar league issnt very physically demanding.

I also think we could get Jesus, would be his last world cup and might want to come home

Edited by Dylan

It was reported that Heart inquired about Paartalu around February 5th this year, not to secure him mid-season, but to get him "beyond this season for rebuilding" (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-midfielder-aaron-mooy-to-join-melbourne-heart-next-season/story-fnk6pqhd-1226819016711). Victory and Sydney also tried to secure Paartalu around then, but immediately and on loan.

Then later in February, around Feb 16, Davutovic reported on Fox Sports:

My information is that has been inquiries from 3 A-League clubs, and they're the same clubs that had a crack at him about 2 or 3 weeks ago, that's Melbourne Heart, Melbourne Victory as well as Sydney FC. So they're all obviously for next season.

So Heart tried to sign Paartalu twice, suggesting the club is pretty keen on him.

Surprisingly though Paartalu joined probably the biggest Thailand in Muangthong United for 1 season, specifically the season that started around the beginning of March and will end around the start of November (approx on the Nov the 3rd). It's not exactly clear why he went to Thailand, although he might have done so because technicalities prevented him from returning to the A-League, with Paartalu telling SBS "the timing was not right for me to return home" and "we terminated with Tianjin after the cut-off point so for now I will be playing in Thailand". Also, Paartalu thinks playing in Thailand might help his chances for World Cup selection.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Heart tried to sign Paartalu after the World Cup. But if signing Paartalu is only a possibility after he finishes his contract with his Thai club, then things could get messy and difficult, as the season with the Thai club won't finish until the start of November, which will be at least a few weeks into the A-League season.

I haven't seen any reports that the Mariners have agreed to a contract extension with Zach Anderson, and multiple reports have said that Anderson is off contract by the end of the season. Perhaps CCM have been slow to try and re-sign him due to their limited financial means (or maybe Anderson is interested in moving), who knows. Either way, he'll be a free agent at the end of the season.

Georgios Samaras said when he came to Australia and Melbourne for the Celtic tour "I have got family in Melbourne, my father was born here and I'm an Australian Citizen. I have an Aussie passport" (http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Celtics-Samaras-hints-Melbourne-return%20). I think Samaras and Joshua Kennedy and Scott McDonald are all very fine proven strikers that could all do very well in the A-League, and I think they are all very possible targets to be Heart's Australian marquee next season. So Heart should be able to get a proper and reliable goal-scoring striker for next season.

Lots of very good potential Australian signings out there. The club just has to step up.