Melbourne Football

Start planning for 2016-17 now

AntiScum

Anelka can still go back to France but he´s looking for a last paycheck at his age.. Surly and self-centred he have always been, now he can add being controversial as well.
No, Heart needs a leader on the pitch, most likely a midfielder that can direct the pace of the game as well as add momentum.

A player in the mould of Scweinsteiger, Sneijder, Silva, Modric etc.

• Like 1

I believe that a top class midfielder is the number one priority for you guys next season.

Someone who can control the tempo of the game. Someone like Xavi if the rumours are true that this will be his last season at Barca. Possibly even Puyol who can most probably play that position in the A League.

Anelka can still go back to France but he´s looking for a last paycheck at his age.. Surly and self-centred he have always been, now he can add being controversial as well.

No, Heart needs a leader on the pitch, most likely a midfielder that can direct the pace of the game as well as add momentum.

A player in the mould of Scweinsteiger, Sneijder, Silva, Modric etc.

Our best two CF's ever were surly and self-centred...

Twitter rumour that 26 year old Jeremy Brockie (of Wellington) is coming to Heart next season.

Brockie is an interesting player. He's a New Zealand international with 43 caps, who was the 4th high goalscorer in the 2011-12 season with 9 goals (equal with Babalj and 2 others) and was the 2nd highest goal-scorer last season with 16 goals (1 goal behind McBreen). Also, he played on loan at MLS club Toronto FC in their 2013 season, where it seems he was fairly well regarded.

However, he seems to have fallen down the pecking order at Wellington since Merrick took over this season. Also, Brockie really seemed to suggest before this season that he would be interested in a move away from Wellington (he said he would be very interested in playing in the MLS, in particular).

As far as I can gleam, Brockie is contracted to Wellington until the end of next season. Also, it appears he is both a New Zealand citizen and an Australian citizen (he applied for Australian citizenship in 2011 and it seems like he got it), so I don't think he'd take up a VISA spot.

What do people think? Is he the kind of player who would be worthy of an Australian spot under the cap for next season?

Twitter rumour that 26 year old Jeremy Brockie (of Wellington) is coming to Heart next season.

Brockie is an interesting player. He's a New Zealand international with 43 caps, who was the 4th high goalscorer in the 2011-12 season with 9 goals (equal with Babalj and 2 others) and was the 2nd highest goal-scorer last season with 16 goals (1 goal behind McBreen). Also, he played on loan at MLS club Toronto FC in their 2013 season, where it seems he was fairly well regarded.

However, he seems to have fallen down the pecking order at Wellington since Merrick took over this season. Also, Brockie really seemed to suggest before this season that he would be interested in a move away from Wellington (he said he would be very interested in playing in the MLS, in particular).

As far as I can gleam, Brockie is contracted to Wellington until the end of next season. Also, it appears he is both a New Zealand citizen and an Australian citizen (he applied for Australian citizenship in 2011 and it seems like he got it), so I don't think he'd take up a VISA spot.

What do people think? Is he the kind of player who would be worthy of an Australian spot under the cap for next season?

more than happy to have him

Better than Mifsud. 

I'd love him at the club, but not as our no.1 striker

• Like 1

If he can get back to his old form yes, but atm he's just a kiwi David Williams.

Does signing an out-of-favour striker from one bottom-four club help another bottom-four club become a top-four club? Don't see any point in signing him unless we are releasing some or all of our current secondary strikers.

Fully agree with this. If the club is going to replace DW as a striker I would prefer that a proven international striker from Europe or Latin America be brought to the club. Recycling players from the A-League for critical positions is out of the question for me at this stage.

Does signing an out-of-favour striker from one bottom-four club help another bottom-four club become a top-four club? Don't see any point in signing him unless we are releasing some or all of our current secondary strikers.

By this logic, Brisbane shouldn't sign any current HAL players, because all the teams are bellow them, thus no-one is worthy of a place there and wouldn't make them better...

You know I'm sure this kind of thing has been mentioned... but Heart can imply when offering contracts that if the player performs they might end up playing in New York or Manchester... What player wouldn't take a little bit less money to play for the biggest team in the A-League (money wise) and one with ties to two major clubs around the world? 

I think that not only is the quality of our marquees/coach etc going to increase a LOT but across the board we will get better players for the same money. 

By this logic, Brisbane shouldn't sign any current HAL players, because all the teams are bellow them, thus no-one is worthy of a place there and wouldn't make them better...

Not really. All it means that the Roar would have to do a good job of due diligence, that is, why is the player out of favour, can the club do something with the player, etc. As opposed to a red hot player from the bottom four where the club can say he is in form and can easily be slotted into the line up. From the AFL when Lockett went to the Swans comes to mind.

• Like 1

Not really. All it means that the Roar would have to do a good job of due diligence, that is, why is the player out of favour, can the club do something with the player, etc. As opposed to a red hot player from the bottom four where the club can say he is in form and can easily be slotted into the line up. From the AFL when Lockett went to the Swans comes to mind.

:droy:  Isn't that what we'd be doing...? 

He isn't in red hot form, he isn't even a first choice at the moment.

Just 4 goals this season, while he had 16 last season and 7 of his 20 apps have been off the bench and he's been subbed off another 5 times too, he was even an unused sub in one game....

• Like 1

Always been a fan of Brockie, knows where the goals are, can finish. If we can get an international as our #1 striker Brockie would complement them well.

I also rate Brockie, but isn't he a K1W1?  If so surely he'd require a visa spot and I think we could do better.

(edit - I see someone suggests that he managed to get Aussie citzenship - needs to be considered seriously then)

Edited by Shahanga

Another little stab at possible marquees for next season.

It's been suggested that they might bring in a somewhat young marquee (which realistically means a player in their mid to late twenties), so here's a few players between 27 and 29:

- Aaron Hunt, 27, midfielder, out of contract at the end of the season

- Diego (full name Diego Ribas da Cunha), 29, midfielder, out of contract at the end of the season

- Bryan Ruiz, 28, striker, out of contract at the end of next season

- Antonio Nocerino, 28, midfielder, out of contract not next season but the end of the season after

I think there's a real good chance that a player like Nocerino, who is prima facie embedded in Europe (having a contract expiring in June 2016), will be picked for Heart's international marquee. Nocerino has been on the fringes of AC Milan, and was loaned out to West Ham in January, so Milan might be happy to part ways with him. It's taken me a while to fathom, as every previous international marquee that has come to the A-League did so on a free transfer, but I reckon there's good odds that Man City will pay a transfer fee for a target marquee whom they think will be perfect for Heart (main points being a player who's keen on making an impact on Australian football, like ADP, but also a player who has a good age). There probably isn't too many star footballers in their mid to late twenties that are really keen on the idea of starring in Australian football, but I reckon Man City will be able to find such a player (this also assumes that don't go after 'a big name', as Heart almost certainly couldn't get a big name player in their 20s).

On Samaras, I reckon he could be a top performer in the A-League, and he might be a smart signing especially if he can be signed as an Australian marquee. He's scored about 1 goal every 3 games for Celtic, across roughly 150 games, which is an impressive strike rate, so I reckon he could readily be a top player in the A-League. Also, he's a good age (just turned 29) and has a Manchester City connection. So if the club goes down the path of using the Aussie marquee spot on a striker, I reckon Samaras, along with Kennedy and McDonald, would be a fine signing.

Outside of Celtic , the rest of the SPL is shite ,about as good as the A league on a good day so to get 1 in 3 isnt that good imho, and not worthy of wasting our money on !

Correction. Celtic too are shite.

I've taken the suggestion and repeated this post in this thread.

It may take time but surely, at the very least though, we have to make a start on improving the squad? For starters, take our first-choice 11 and go through them one by one and ask the question - would this player be playing in this position in a top-four A-League first-choice team? Take the top four sides as they stand now and ask whether their coaches would like to get their hands on any of our players? Consider the ages of some of our regulars

(as of start of next season):

Murdocca: 30

Wielaert: 35

Kisnorbo: 32

Kewell: 36

Engelaar: 35

Gerhardt: 29

How much more have these guys got to give the club? There are many, many questions that have to be asked.

NewConvert asked the question about how many years you have to give a young player before making a decision on their future. That's a difficult one. The world is littered with footballers who had star-studded youth careers but for whatever reason their careers stalled. In the decision-making factors I would think you have to include letting them mature physically, they need to be tested in regular competitive football, they need a strong work ethic, and you need a coach who is capable of seeing not just outcomes, but whether the player has the capacity to continue to develop and eliminate any bad habits etc. I doubt that you could specify a particular time period.

- BTW, regarding that Twitter rumour about Brockie, Brockie himself tweeted back in response to it that that rumour is completely made up.

We do have a number of 30 year olds, but I reckon they can't all be released at once, and it will probably take at least 2 seasons to cycle through Heart's aging players.

I've started approaching the issue of strengthening the Heart squad for next season from a different perspective. Which players are the most important, and should be 'the first names on the teamsheet' for next season?

Here's a stab from me at naming the Heart players that are of 1st rank importance:

(CF)???

(LM)???     (CAM)???     (RM)???

Mooy      Germano/Murdocca         

(LB)???    Kisnorbo    (CB)???   (RB)???     

(GK) ???

Bench

Germano/Murdocca  

I'm guessing that 4-2-3-1 will be the formation of choice, as it's my understanding that that's the Man City formation, and JVS seems to be using it now.

I've been a bit picky in only making 3/4 players important players, who will probably start more games than not next season. That's because I think Heart have a lot of 'useful' players that maybe aren't 'important' or 'necessary' players. I only picked Kisnorbo, Murdocca and Germano from our current squad because those players have effectively started every game when they have been fit, and they all have at least a few more good seasons in them (given that Kisnorbo will be 33 next season, whilst Mass will be 30 and Germano will largely be 26 next season). I also think that Mooy will quickly prove that he's an important player, so he's included.

Like I said, Heart have a lot of useful or 2nd rank players, and I think a good number of them will be kept. For instance, I reckon both Ramsay and Garuccio will be kept, and whichever of those 2 players is in the best form will play as LM. Another example of a useful player that might well be kept is Dugandzic (although, like with the 2 left sided midfielder Dugandzic might well have competition next season).

Also, the more I look at Australian players out there that could fit under the salary cap, the more I think it will be very tough for Heart to make a lot of changes for next season. So for every player I think should be released, I'd like to be able to name 2 realistic replacements.

For example, assuming that Behich goes back to Turkey (and Heart make no effort to retain him), I think 2 possible LBs for next season could be Shane Lowry and Michael Zullo. Lowry comes out of contract at the end of the season, and Milwall manager Ian Holloway is saying that Lowry has to do more to earn a contact. Whilst Zullo goes back to Utrecht at the end of the season as he's contracted to Utrecht until the end of next season, but I reckon that Heart could maybe acquire Zullo for a reasonable transfer fee, as Utrecht don't seem too keen on him (hence why they loaned him to Adelaide), and Adelaide probably can't afford to buy him from Utrecht.

Because there are precious few replacements out there, I reckon we might end up keeping players like Redmayne and Velaphi, as I can't think of 2 good Australian keepers out there that Heart could sign under the salary cap.

Like I've said before, if Heart just signed 2 or 3 quality strikers (CFs), I reckon our squad would be much better, even if there were little other changes with the squad. So I reckon Heart will recruit a very good striker and a very good number 10/CAM, probably using the 2 marquee spots, and that will go a very long way towards strengthening the squad for next season.

So all up I reckon Heart have only a few important players, but have many useful players, and Heart will have to keep a good amount of those players for next season, as there aren't that many replacements that could be signed for next season. I reckon though that Heart could be massively strengthened for next season, if a handful of very useful signings are made, and I reckon Man City and JVS and co. will end up getting these calls right.

Edited by Murfy1

Good points Murfy

it goes without saying that the spine of the team is the where the "money" will be

Goalkeeper, CB CM CF

this is where the marquee and visa players will be

I like having Mooy in the mix, he will be a very good addition

( shit I had thought the same about Ramsay at the start of the season )

• Like 3

Good points Murfy

it goes without saying that the spine of the team is the where the "money" will be

Goalkeeper, CB CM CF

this is where the marquee and visa players will be

I like having Mooy in the mix, he will be a very good addition

( shit I had thought the same about Ramsay at the start of the season )

That's the "spine" that I would like to see too.

Ryan McGowan for RB or CB? Seems like Shandong's manager Cuca does not like him. Be the only Asian visa player in Shandong but Cuca didn't start him once this season. 

Would be very pleased if we signed McGowan, especially as a CB. 

But I don't see him signing for Heart unless life at Shandong becomes really unpalatable, and really bad for his career. He's earning $1.2 million a season in China (source http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/ryan-mcgowan-set-to-net-over-a-million-dollars-in-shendong-move-1-2718778), so it would be something of a coup if he signed for Heart.

If Heart were able to sign him though then the club definitely should IMO, and I think he'd be a real quality signing.

As for Right-back, as much as I question Hoffman (and I do that a lot), I can't think of 2 realistic potential replacements (the RB would have to be Australian and willing to sign under the salary cap), which is a real reminder of just how hard it is to suddenly try and replace players.

• Like 1

Does anyone believe there is a realistic chance of the salary cap being raised over the next couple of seasons?

It seems to me this would help in the recruitment of players throughout the league.

It depends on how the increased cap would be used, do we just pay more money to everyone on the list, great for them but not something that will necessarily improve the quality, do we increase the size of the lists, helpful for all clubs throughout the season and especially in the ACL but something that could lead to more variable quality if not done carefully?

The salary cap was $2.5 million (Australian dollars, of course) this season, and will be $2.55 million next season for 23 players.

Also there are 3 big exceptions to the salary cap, the international marquee deal, the Australian marquee deal and the junior or youth marquee deal (which can be used to pay up to 3 players). So there are significant ways to spend much more than the salary cap, if the playing squad is assembled smartly.

The players union (PFA) and the FFA will negotiate player remuneration, including the salary cap, for the season after next as that season nears. The salary cap could rise, fall or be abolished, who knows, it all depends on the deal they strike.

Although it should be noted that some clubs, I'm pretty sure, don't want to have to spend a lot more money on their squads. Most A-League clubs don't make a profit each year, and IIRC player wages are one of the largest costs, so some clubs are against raising the cap too quickly.

IMO the salary cap is just about right (it should probably be raised somewhat, to give clubs a bit more flexibility on how they spend on players), but IMO there are enough allowances (like the marquee deals) to allow A-League clubs to spend a lot (or spend enough) on players. Also, the salary cap provides incentive for A-League clubs to develop young Australian footballers, which is sorely needed (as IMO, and the opinion of many others, grassroots or youth football in Australia is a mess and doesn't reliably produce enough professional players, so A-League clubs should do more to develop talented young Australian footballers). And the cap is required for the short to medium term to keep the league competitive, which helps the league grow overall.

I think there's a respectable chance that the salary cap could jump significantly by the 2015-16 season, maybe to 3 million. But that's tentative on the league and all of its clubs having stable growth between now and then, and clubs and the FFA coming to believe that the cap should be significantly raised. It's very hard to predict what will happen to the salary cap with any certainty, but IMO if the league continues to have stable growth then a significant increase in the salary cap by 2015-16 is pretty likely.

Interesting comments made my Sasa Ognenovski today:

Socceroos centre-back Ognenovski has been a key addition since joining the club in February, helping tighten the side’s leaky defence.

But the veteran hinted at a possible move to Melbourne next season.

“I’m originally from Melbourne so it would be nice to go home,” the 34-year-old said.

“So I’ll have a chat with the club and we might be doing something shortly.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/frank-farina-denies-reports-alessandro-del-piero-will-leave-sydney-fc-at-seasons-end/story-e6frf4gl-1226860284895

957433-sasa-ognenovski.jpg

Maybe we'll see him soon in Red and White.

It's conceivable that Wielaert could be moved on, and Heart could sign the Ogmonster. Imagine Ognenovski and Kisnorbo, what a formidable centre-back pairing that would be. Whilst I think Wielaert brings a number of useful qualities to the team, he will be 36 by the end of December this year, whereas Ognenovski is younger, turning 35 in early April in a few weeks. They are both experienced CBs though with leadership qualities, so there isn't too much difference between them.

Would hate to see Ognenovski sign for victory as well.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Andrew Redmayne - Contracted next season, prefer to have him as second choice

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Jeremy Walker (Youth) - Move along

23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png DF Rob Wielaert - Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire, if not keep and give him the armband

23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png MF Orlando Engelaar - Would love to keep him, but only under the salary cap

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Sam Mitchinson (Youth- Move along

23px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png DF Patrick Gerhardt - Keep

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Iain Ramsay - Contracted. Unfortunately.

23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Massimo Murdocca - Contracted.

10 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Harry Kewell (Captain) - Will probably retire after World Cup or before if not selected, move along regardless.

11 23px-Flag_of_Malta.svg.png FW Michael Mifsud - Move along.

13 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png MF Jonatan Germano - Keep.

15 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW David Williams - Move along unless he gains some fucking consistency.

16 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Aziz Behich - Back to Bursapor

17 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Jason Hoffman - 1 year contract.

18 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF David Vranković (Youth) - Would love to keep him, but highly doubt he'll stay.

19 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Ben Garuccio (Youth- Keep at all costs.

20 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png GK Tando Velaphi - Move along.

21 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Stefan Mauk (Youth- Keep at all costs.

22 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Nick Kalmar - Move along

23 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png FW Mate Dugandžić - Move along (unfortunately)

24 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png DF Patrick Kisnorbo - Keep and give the armband unless Weilaert stays.

27 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Luke O'Dea (youth) - Haven't seen enough of him to know. Probably keep due to potential.

28 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png MF Paulo Retre (Youth) - Same as O'Dea

I can understand why clubs don't want the cap raised if they are losing money. I am just trying to think how the quality of the league can be raised.

My motto is speculate to accumulate.

So I was thinking that if you had more money to spend on better players, then increased revenue through crowds, sponsorship and TV deals would follow.

I can understand why clubs don't want the cap raised if they are losing money. I am just trying to think how the quality of the league can be raised.

My motto is speculate to accumulate.

So I was thinking that if you had more money to spend on better players, then increased revenue through crowds, sponsorship and TV deals would follow.

I am of the strong opinion (if that hasn't been apparent already :) ) that we need to improve coaching. Another example was Ange Postecoglou when he became Brisbane Roar's coach. The club had just sacked Farina and was now under administration by the FFA. They had to release their three most promising young talents in Oar, Sarota and Zullo who all went to the Netherlands. So he had a relatively young squad and brought some unknown foreign players in Berisha and Broich. The following season they began the longest undefeated run in Australian sporting history. Ange is on the record as saying that youth have never let him down.

Popovic took some journeymen and turned them into a formidable team. Topor-Stanley and Beauchamp as perhaps the best defensive pairing last season - no one saw that coming.

Josep Gombau at Adelaide United and Ernie Merrick at Wellington phoenix. And dare I say it, I think that Brisbane have stepped up a notch under Mulvey. And of course JVS when he took over from JA.

So I am not fussed about the reduction of visa players at this stage because I think that there is plenty to work with right now. The problem i that we don't have enough quality coaches and infrastructure to develop the talent that is already here.

Well until the big money comes to Australian football, world class coaches will look overseas. ATM the big money sponsors are going to look at the AFL before the A-League, but until that changes we have to wait another 15 or so years. The AFL has reached it's peak and can't grow anymore, as you can see even the crowds in the last couple of years have dropped week by week... I'm not for a second saying the A-League will be bigger than the AFL in 15+ years, but it's already starting to slowly take bits and pieces from it year by year. You have to remember every 3 minutes a person from overseas lands in Australia, they all follow and no one sport and it's not AFL. I don't mind waiting another 20 years but when the salary cap is no more and all clubs are owned by billionaires, then you'll see a dominion in football codes in Australia.

Even in America where domestic leagues like NFL and MLB have big pockets and huge fanbases there´s been a trend that established organisations are taking stakes in soccer clubs.. At a guess to make sure that whatever happens in popularity between sports the guys in control will remain the same.