Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

The visitors are successful, have the Victorian colours proudly displayed, have the fans and atmosphere and have the general backing of the wider community as a club for everyone

Melbourne City represent Manchester City and the CFG. Who would you support?

If it wasn't for CFG a very small percentage would be signing up for MV memberships. Meaning we wouldn't have existed. Be greatful, suppport your club regardless who owns it and watch us be successful one day.

• Like 1

All this talk about our ownership and what it means/represent as opposed to Victory is utter rubbish.

Wealthy people/companies buy sporting clubs all over the world all the time, is now become part of the globle sporting landscape.

The fact we got a recognised wealthy owner with a proven record in rebuilding a football club, smakes of Jealousy by Victoyless.

All of this Australian owner garbage is all talk. What would the Victoyless stakeholders, supporters and members say if Liverpool came in a bought a majority share? Would they say Thank but no Thanks?

All this talk about our ownership and what it means/represent as opposed to Victory is utter rubbish.

Wealthy people/companies buy sporting clubs all over the world all the time, is now become part of the globle sporting landscape.

The fact we got a recognised wealthy owner with a proven record in rebuilding a football club, smakes of Jealousy by Victoyless.

All of this Australian owner garbage is all talk. What would the Victoyless stakeholders, supporters and members say if Liverpool came in a bought a majority share? Would they say Thank but no Thanks?

What on earth did I just read...
  • Like 1

How do we expect to be anything but "not-MV"? There is nothing else that we can even attempt to harness new support, as focusing on one region of this city is hardly a receipe for success.

Unless CFG decide to buy Sandown Racecourse, build a stadium and even larger training base, the South-East is a non-starter.  Thats about the only area of any scale we could possibly even try to differenciate yourself geographical.

In doing that though, in one go you lose nearly all of the Northern and Western supporter base due to distance and a likely disconnection from the club with such a refocus.

Lets try and get some success on the park and finally bring some confidence for people to bother supporting us.

That's what happens when a fast food chain sponsors your club. You become like that dude on the far left. God have mercy on him.

He has a banner in the front of his jacket but yes he is still a fat cunt Add 2 boxes of flares strapped to his thighs

Bunch of retards

• Like 1

That's what happens when a fast food chain sponsors your club. You become like that dude on the far left. God have mercy on him.

He has a banner in the front of his jacket but yes he is still a fat cunt

Look how thick those legs are! Unless he has stapped herion around his thighs like the Bali 9, but otherwise he is one big fatso.

He has a banner in the front of his jacket but yes he is still a fat cunt

Look how thick those legs are! Unless he has stapped herion around his thighs like the Bali 9, but otherwise he is one big fatso.

Yes, thats why he wears flares

• Like 2

With Manchester City headed to Australia in July, it has organised a friendly behind closed doors on the Gold Coast (15th July), 6 days before their first match in Melbourne. Adelaide were apparently chosen as they will be playing Liverpool around that time and will still be in training.

What do we think CFG will do to ensure Melbourne City are also given some focus? Not using such events to promote us would be a very frustrating.

I can see them training at Bundoora, but let's hope there's more in it than just that.

With Manchester City headed to Australia in July, it has organised a friendly behind closed doors on the Gold Coast (15th July), 6 days before their first match in Melbourne. Adelaide were apparently chosen as they will be playing Liverpool around that time and will still be in training.

What do we think CFG will do to ensure Melbourne City are also given some focus? Not using such events to promote us would be a very frustrating.

I can see them training at Bundoora, but let's hope there's more in it than just that.

They probably wanted to face a more tougher opponent

So far we have been completely ignored in the whole equation.

Doesn't surprise me because to date I'm not impressed with CFG's PR work at all.

^^ I tend to agree.

In other news the Herald Sun are reporting that the FFA will be investigating the Harry Kewell Jeep deal, which alledgedly forms part of the current legal issues playing out in court currently.

If the club was to be found to have breached the rules under the previous licence holders, how would this affect things now? Seems complicated, but it would almost certainly see Munn and JD get the axe.

It's hard to tell though exactly how that deal worked. I guess we will see who was involved when investigations take place.

^^ I tend to agree.

In other news the Herald Sun are reporting that the FFA will be investigating the Harry Kewell Jeep deal, which alledgedly forms part of the current legal issues playing out in court currently.

If the club was to be found to have breached the rules under the previous licence holders, how would this affect things now? Seems complicated, but it would almost certainly see Munn and JD get the axe.

It's hard to tell though exactly how that deal worked. I guess we will see who was involved when investigations take place.

Wasn't the Jeep deal done just before he signed with Victory? Seems to me if anyone was being untoward regarding that it would be Victory not us..

^^ I tend to agree.

Wasn't the Jeep deal done just before he signed with Victory? Seems to me if anyone was being untoward regarding that it would be Victory not us..

Apparently it was originally signed when he was at MV but was extended on the proviso he signed with us. Who knows. It's what I have read anyway.

Just how we were involved in any of that is the complicating factor.

• 2 weeks later...

I just followed up on IP Australia on the dispute over name and trademark between ourselves and the "other" Melbourne City.

City Football Group (15th May 2015) have lodged a formal opposition to the registration of the logo of the "other" club.

I just followed up on IP Australia on the dispute over name and trademark between ourselves and the "other" Melbourne City.

City Football Group (15th May 2015) have lodged a formal opposition to the registration of the logo of the "other" club.

Totally forgot about their existence.. :huh:

I suggested to them of holding a closed doors practise match at aami for members signed up for the following season. Hopefully there's something in it for us.

Completely agree with this. What the hell are we getting for our hard earned support + $$$$$ + CFG connection ????

The Manchester City visit provides the perfect springboard for a membership drive for the coming season. A 'special' meet+greet between Melbourne City members and Manchester City players would be huge. I saw Chelsea had a training session in Sydney recently and fans were allowed to attend.

WAKE UP MUNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Earn you salary. Can we petition the club to put on an event like this?????????

I'm not saying that it's definitely this, but the fact that there's no clear cross-team publicity eventing may be to do with the way that CFG have monitored the reactions of fans of the non-Manchester teams since their takeovers/creation (Khaldoon has publicly admitted in the past to reading supporters forums, and there are certainly signs that they've read NYCFCForums) and particularly got their fingers burned with NYCFC. I know this forum has been more welcoming of CFG, but up until recently the NYCFC fans were pretty venomously anti-CFG and complained fervently about the cross-publicisation of Manchester City that went on across CFG twitter accounts and Facebook pages, leading to practically all references to Manchester City to be pulled from them both excepting in instances where the interests of the two teams collide. On top of that, when a couple of Manchester City players were introduced to the crowd at Yankee Stadium at the end of May when City were doing their post-season tour, they were booed by as many people as cheered them, largely owing to the Frank Lampard disaster.

In that study on brand value which I know was linked here a week or so ago, in the CFG interview it talked about how they noted that, while fans of the "other" CFG teams seem quite interested in each other, the reaction from most is that they don't want to be overtly linked to Manchester City, and the guy who was interviewed (it didn't say who he was but he was clearly a senior figure) said that had now influenced how they marketed the various teams. It's a possibility that they are simply trying to avoid a public matchup between the two clubs for fear that they will face another overwhelmingly negative backlash.

Just speculation, of course. I'm wrong more often than I am right. But it's worth considering all the same.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

Well we can't judge all fans by the way the NYC mob have reacted. Personally and as a football supporter I'd make a big effort to get to a closed training session to see the Manchester City stars. And I know first hand of others, not current Melbourne City members, who would try to do likewise. I don't have any particular firm allegiance with any EPL side - not even Manchester City for that matter :)

For an organisation that is supposed to be run by PR people and with PR (for Abu Dhabi) at the centre of it, they are amazingly bad at it.

Only some "with special skills" could turn bringing one of the best strikers in the world to Melbourne into a disaster.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 2

I don't think it will be a true spectacle type friendly, b/w Manchester City & Melbourne City.  

I actually think they will use the experience as more of a hands on training / match day / shared learning experience, probably over a few days, where they will probably mix things up, both on the pitch and on the sidelines, with the scratch match, segueing with training.  I can see JVS in particular being scrutinized first hand.

I'm not saying that it's definitely this, but the fact that there's no clear cross-team publicity eventing may be to do with the way that CFG have monitored the reactions of fans of the non-Manchester teams since their takeovers/creation (Khaldoon has publicly admitted in the past to reading supporters forums, and there are certainly signs that they've read NYCFCForums) and particularly got their fingers burned with NYCFC. I know this forum has been more welcoming of CFG, but up until recently the NYCFC fans were pretty venomously anti-CFG and complained fervently about the cross-publicisation of Manchester City that went on across CFG twitter accounts and Facebook pages, leading to practically all references to Manchester City to be pulled from them both excepting in instances where the interests of the two teams collide. On top of that, when a couple of Manchester City players were introduced to the crowd at Yankee Stadium at the end of May when City were doing their post-season tour, they were booed by as many people as cheered them, largely owing to the Frank Lampard disaster.

In that study on brand value which I know was linked here a week or so ago, in the CFG interview it talked about how they noted that, while fans of the "other" CFG teams seem quite interested in each other, the reaction from most is that they don't want to be overtly linked to Manchester City, and the guy who was interviewed (it didn't say who he was but he was clearly a senior figure) said that had now influenced how they marketed the various teams. It's a possibility that they are simply trying to avoid a public matchup between the two clubs for fear that they will face another overwhelmingly negative backlash.

Just speculation, of course. I'm wrong more often than I am right. But it's worth considering all the same.

I'm not surprised that there was a negative backlash at both NYCFC and Melbourne City. Not content with the Villa disaster in Melbourne the CFG publicity machine did it again with Lampard to New York.

That said I would have thought that CFG, rather than run for cover and hide under a stone, would see the Manchester City visit to Australia as an opportunity to mend the fences with Melbourne City supporters.

As it is, playing Adelaide behind closed doors on the Gold Coast is just another kick in the teeth for us.

FFS CFG, get your act together.

• Like 2

I understand that every aleague 'club' is more of a franchise that's anything else, but the way City goes about its business makes it feel less like a club than it should. From the way they conduct their business to their questionable decisions right through to their poorly structured holiday clinics I wonder what goes on through the minds of the people that are running the show. Surely the goal should be to 1) Make your supporters feel they are united with the club 2) Have the best possible product available to your members compared to your competition.

What are these people behind the scenes doing... :droy:

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

I'm not surprised that there was a negative backlash at both NYCFC and Melbourne City. Not content with the Villa disaster in Melbourne the CFG publicity machine did it again with Lampard to New York.

That said I would have thought that CFG, rather than run for cover and hide under a stone, would see the Manchester City visit to Australia as an opportunity to mend the fences with Melbourne City supporters.

As it is, playing Adelaide behind closed doors on the Gold Coast is just another kick in the teeth for us.

FFS CFG, get your act together.

Well that's the thing about franchised ownership, the ownership is for their benefit not necessarily ours

Just to reiterate again: that was a guess, and not even an educated guess as all this (Manchester City visiting one of the other CFG clubs) is still kind of unprecedented for CFG at the moment. CFG may just be taking their time to announce things (not entirely unusual for them) but yeah, I'm guessing.

Also, I would very much expect Manchester City to do some promotional stuff of their own, such as open training session s, which are very common for them on their tours. I just think they might hesitate to do lots of "hey, we're running a Melbourne City promo event but we're going to throw a load of Manchester City players at it because we can" stuff.

Edited by Falastur