Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I think the owners will have to do some serious local research about rebranding.  They need to understand fully the local landscape: football is dwarfed by the AFL in Melbourne, getting fans is not as simple as winning a title (although it will help alot!)

We have 7000 members who are die-hard emotionally connected to this club.  We have to be to put up with what we've been served for most of our existence. But changing the team colors will be gross miscalculation that will burn many of these fans.

In Australia, fans don't just come back when your are winning-look at Brisbane Roar, who are still below their best attendances after the club burned them with rip-off ticket prices despite later winning just about everything there is and playing the closest thing to tika-taka thats been seen in this part of the world.

We must be allowed to play in red and white at home, but we would accept sky bkue away-except against Sydney and Victory.

i understand the owners want  global continuity of their brand, but they could be in for a rude shock playing in sky blue- we hate Sydney, we hate Victory, and we love our colors.  We are Melbourne!

I don't think that things are as dire as you suggest. In my experience, the public want to see quality and with so many options available people will not turn up to see below par offerings - never forget that Port Power vs Melbourne in 2012 drew less than 6,000 people to the MCG. Last season Collingwood had their worst crowd attendance when they played the Dees.  So given that MHT has not been playing champagne football then attracting crowds and members is difficult. I am under no illusion that it won't be a hard slog but I know people who watch EPL/Euro Leagues but don't attend or watch A-League: they should be targetted. On a broader scope the general public need to be educated about strategies and techniques - many which have been adopted by the AFL.

Thats a double-edged sword though.  I see plenty of Barca, Real, Man U, Arsenal even Bayern shirts in Melbourne.  Man City is rare. Why would these fans come to watch Mini Man City play in Melbourne?

In fact we already have some EPL fans as Heart members who have pulled the plug on Heart since this announcement.

IMO there needs to be some visible separation from Man City.

its a gamble they're taking.

Finally some sense 

Just over from Blue moon forum chaps and sheilas.

Welcome to Man City family.

BTW as one of your fans just posted on blue moon:

" To conclude, our club was run by idiots who didn't believe that their supporters truly cared about the club and wanted the best for them over all other clubs. They believed in mediocrity and now we are in this position now."

This was Man City a few years ago too!

• Like 1

Hi, another City fan here. I can't add anything that others haven't already said. Just wanted to wish you good luck against Adelaide. I'm looking forward to watching you ( even if I have to get up at an ungodly hour!) :)

Mate you have no idea of the times that we have to wake up/stay up to watch EPL games or any European league games. 6.30am is nothing!
  • Like 1

This is clearly the best thing that could have ever happened to our club. Also loving our MCFC friends from around the world now joining us here. I'm now firmly a MCFC fan, for good. 

The more the merrier Jake, the more the merrier! I think you'll find your international fanbase has suddenly increased somewhat as well  :)

Anyhow, just logged on to post a good luck message for the game vs Adelaide. I'm sure that I won't be the only Blue getting up at an ungodly hour to cheer the boys on  :D

Once again, congratulations on scooping the jackpot, From reading the posts of Heart supporters on here I'd say you deserve it.

COME ON THE MIGHTY HEART

I'm out of Likes, cheers mate :-)

I'm really starting to feel like we've won the jackpot as a club! You don't understand the disappointment and heartache we've endured in our short history! The highest position we've finished in a League of 10 is 6th, the one play-off game we've played in we had Perth's striker score hat-trick against us, our replacement coach 18 months ago (although an Australian legend) was a dud and absolutely the wrong decision by the board, our marquee player in Engelaar broke his leg in pre-season, we haven't won outside of Melbourne in over 2 years...it goes on and on! haha

I'm really looking forward to Melbourne Heart/City mimicking MCFC's recent successes and become one of the most dominant clubs in Australasia. Great to have you all on board - you all seem like a nice bunch, unlike those arrogant Rags! Lol

Pass to Redders, Redders to Weiaert, Weilaert to Gerhardt, Gerhardt.....No, back to Redders. Redders to Weilaert repeat

Weilaert holds it, holds it, HOLLDDSSS ITTT!!!!

...whilst the rest of the team do traffic cone impersonations and stand as still as statues, all with their back to the attacking goal...

To be fair though, it'll be a lot better under JVS than it was under Aloisi. Aloisi's game plan was 'ignore the traffic cones, kick the ball long to the garden gnome up front.

• Like 1

Pass to Redders, Redders to Weiaert, Weilaert to Gerhardt, Gerhardt.....No, back to Redders. Redders to Weilaert repeat

...whilst the rest of the team do traffic cone impersonations and stand as still as statues, all with their back to the attacking goal...

To be fair though, it'll be a lot better under JVS than it was under Aloisi. Aloisi's game plan was 'ignore the traffic cones, kick the ball long to the garden gnome up front.

Watch how well everyone plays now that they actually have some incentive

"To me, to me, RIGHT HERE", that's improved in the last couple of games thankfully.

Agreed, to call what JA wanted the Heart to do a 'gameplan' is extremely generous though haha. Hopefully with the eyes of the new owners (and indeed some new fans around the world) on them the boys step up and put in another good performance today.

Weilaert holds it, holds it, HOLLDDSSS ITTT!!!! ...whilst the rest of the team do traffic cone impersonations and stand as still as statues, all with their back to the attacking goal...

Watch how well everyone plays now that they actually have some incentive

The other half of the tragedy, that the players could see no need to play well under the previous coach and ownership. 'If we win we win, if we lose we lose' quote comes to mind.

• Like 1

The one thing that I hope comes with the new ownership, will be the reinstatement of our youth policy. I am a skeptic at heart (bing), though MCFC seem to be saying all the right things in that regards, but it's hard not to be doubtfull.

It's pretty cool to have the City supporters say hello and to allay concerns though, onwards and upwards.

For those in the sunny UK getting up early and streaming the game V Adelaide, top right hand corner of your screen will be the Away Bay, so you can get a glimpse of your new Melbourne mates. 

Mon Heart

Make sure you give us a wave!  I will have just about woken up properly by kickoff time (what's with that wierd half hour thing in Adelaide?  It nearly did my head in when working out the time difference)

The one thing that I hope comes with the new ownership, will be the reinstatement of our youth policy. I am a skeptic at heart (bing), though MCFC seem to be saying all the right things in that regards, but it's hard not to be doubtfull.

It's pretty cool to have the City supporters say hello and to allay concerns though, onwards and upwards.

they said youth system and training facilities is a biggie. So im looking forward to having a proper youth system in place!

they said youth system and training facilities is a biggie. So im looking forward to having a proper youth system in place!

You really don't have to worry about things like that anymore, you have just been bought by the best owners in the world (seriously).

Haven't had the time to post in here the last few days but have been following this thread pretty closely.

Tbh, I'm pretty torn over this news. Sure I see all the benefits (i.e. money) but there is a few things I feel quite worried about.

I fully understand clubs change names occasionally blah blah blah and I wouldn't have been that upset if we had changed to Melbourne City a year or so ago when people were questioning the name (although I've always prefered Heart) That said I'm against a name change to City just to be part of their brand. If they're so worried about their brand then the other cunts can change their names to Heart.

Colours are non-negotiable for me. Must stay red and white.

Pretty disappointed (tbc - pissed)

• Like 2

Haven't had the time to post in here the last few days but have been following this thread pretty closely.

Tbh, I'm pretty torn over this news. Sure I see all the benefits (i.e. money) but there is a few things I feel quite worried about.

I fully understand clubs change names occasionally blah blah blah and I wouldn't have been that upset if we had changed to Melbourne City a year or so ago when people were questioning the name (although I've always prefered Heart) That said I'm against a name change to City just to be part of their brand. If they're so worried about their brand then the other cunts can change their names to Heart.

Colours are non-negotiable for me. Must stay red and white.

Pretty disappointed (tbc - pissed)

Many people in the same boat mate, but i think at the end of the day regardless of who was going to buy us there was always going to be some changes to the club unfortunately. Basically we had two options:

1) Continue with the same owners and plod around at the bottom of the table with the name heart

2) Get new owners who will give us success, at the cost of possible changes to name, colors and uniforms.

Remember this team will still be our hearts, the colors might change but they will always be Melbourne heart to me :)

Don't Panic everyone. What do we really know?

1. The name Melbourne City FC has been registered, trademarked, whatever

2. Man City senior management have said they will listen

3. Man City senior management have said that it is not their plan to make Heart a mini-Man City

4. All Man City fans say that they do what they say they'll do

It would seem a name change would seem likely, provided the fans were on side. The momentum for playing in (evil) Sky Blue is only coming from some Man City fans (who know less than us about what's happening)and our own over enthusiastic fans who probably don't care about anything as long as the era from hell ends.

• Like 3

I almost feel like Heart not being in the name will make me like it more. Being officially called Heart is like giving yourself a nickname. It's just not cool. 

If we become City then I will be nostalgic for Heart and feel proud I was part of Heart. When yarraside sng "you are in my heart, I will follow you" etc it will have even greater depth.

• Like 1

Don't Panic everyone. What do we really know?

1. The name Melbourne City FC has been registered, trademarked, whatever

2. Man City senior management have said they will listen

3. Man City senior management have said that it is not their plan to make Heart a mini-Man City

4. All Man City fans say that they do what they say they'll do

It would seem a name change would seem likely, provided the fans were on side. The momentum for playing in (evil) Sky Blue is only coming from some Man City fans (who know less than us about what's happening)and our own over enthusiastic fans who probably don't care about anything as long as the era from hell ends.

Seems we are mostly happy with everything apart from the colours changing (some also not happy with the name changing). If we want then to understand what is important to us then we need to let them know, both before they ask and when they do ask.

The colours and name changes are getting the big debate purely because they are the only contentious issues. 

If we resist their will to change our name and colours then they may say fuck it and get out of here quick smart...

just let them do what they want to do, they have saved our club from being a complete embarrassment and slowing dying standing for nothing 
we couldnt compete in the long run without these owners, they can do whatever the fuck they want, we will create history with these owners. 

I want a team that excepts nothing less than top 2 or 3 in the league the pussy arse family shit and crap thats nice but i want to win games of football.... the other teams dont look at us at the bottom and say they havent won a game all season yet they are great in the community and for familys.. 

Stop banging on about colour change you morons. 

It isn't going to happen. No one has suggested it is going to happen. If the fans don't want it, they won't do it. Soriano has already said we aren't and won't be a "small Manchester City".

Take a step back, take a deep breath, and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1