Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I'm very confident that our colours will remain Red and White.

Have to agree with this, people just seem to be panicking for no reason, lets just wait and see what happens instead of just assuming the worst.

No reason?

Sidwell's disconnecting himself from the issue and the FFA's positive comments towards such a move are two reasons.

What evidence do we have that the colours will be protected?

PPL on a forum saying we should not panic, or that they have hunchs... nothing from the FFA, City or the Media to calm the masses.

The reality is this new club is going to be far more Manchester City than it is Melbourne Heart... and although I will probably support the team I wont be putting in the hours that I did for Heart.

Edited by cadete

A guy from Cyprus at my work asked if I had heard anything about Heart eventually joining forces with South Melbourne FC. When I told him no, never heard anything like that he said that it would make so much sense,

Found that a bit cryptic to say the least, why should Heart "join forces" with another club in Melbourne? There is a reason..?

South Melbourne is a club that played in the old NSL (National Soccer League), pre A League. They traditionally represent Melbourne's Greek migrant community, and were a successful club in the NSL.

They've always harboured an ambition to be in the A League. After Victory's 5 year exclusivity arrangement came to an end, there were two submissions for the second Melbourne A League licence - from Melbourne Heart and South Melbourne, re-named Southern Stars or something. 

Obviously, Melbourne Heart were awarded the licence. But prior to City's purchase of Heart, South Melbourne were also making offers to buy out the club. Thank God, the board didn't sell to them.

While the City owners and fans seem respectful and keen to invest to build the club, in my opinion, South Melbourne and their supporters were more intent to undermine Heart at every opportunity, trying to exploit poor results, crowds, and a percieved 'lack of identity'. They can always apply for a third licence whenever expansion comes on the agenda again, but they thought they could buy out an undreperforming Heart, and aquire the licence that way. In my opinion, most Heart fans would've been dead against a takeover by South Melbourne and wouldnt've stayed with the club if it occured, because they would've replaced our identity with their own. It was more like a hostile takeover attempt I suppose. And it would've done nothing to build the club as their constituency is a fairly small number of supporters mainly left over from their predominately Greek heritage.

To be fair, they're a pretty proud and successful club in the context of the old NSL. I don't have a problem with them other than the fact they've tried to undermine our club in this way. There's developed some sort of rivalry, which is now completely unimportant and irrellevant now that our future is looking a bit different after the last week. I can't imagine any need or desire to 'join forces' from our side.

Edited by Sash

After doing a bit of reading and reading in between the lines this weekend on the Buy Out I have TBH and say the Pixie Dust on the sale of the club has really started to rub off and agree with FB on a lot of points. In fact I can even see why the MVFC fans are commenting on this sale being the birth of a new club rather than a transition for Melbourne Heart.

Already:

• Sidwell when asked about the club's colours said "It was completely up to the owners”.
  • The FFA have already said it was City’s choice to change the Club’s Colours and it was normal for there to be two football sides in the same league with the same colours.
I think it’s pretty obvious that alongside the Crest and Name that our colours will be changed.

At this stage I will be supporting Melbourne City – But not as I supported Melbourne Heart because the more and more I think about it I agree with the Mongs and if our Colours, Crest and Name Changes then dont see this new team as Melbourne Heart.

Agree. It was exciting to get rid of our useless owners, and surprisingly getting new owners with the resources to grow our club, but as that excitement wear off, some issues definitely come up.

Name change isn't the end of the world, primarily because Melbourne City is a name I could see us changing to irrespective of new owners because it does represent our club to an extent, I have always felt that we are a Melbourne team, where as the Visitors are a Victorian team, and it's quite clear when you look at colours, or even the symbols we have embraced (eg Melbourne flag). The fact it is the new owners trying to impose their identity on us does bother me, and I'd much rather keep our current name, but I don't feel it's the end of the world.

But changing the colours as well, to me that crosses the line and it's not the same team any more. I can see myself still supporting the new team, but it's not Melbourne Heart.

• Like 2

A guy from Cyprus at my work asked if I had heard anything about Heart eventually joining forces with South Melbourne FC. When I told him no, never heard anything like that he said that it would make so much sense,

Found that a bit cryptic to say the least, why should Heart "join forces" with another club in Melbourne? There is a reason..?

Maybe instead of building new training facilities, we can train at and use Lakeside Stadium as our base - can't get much more central than that. It even has a skyish-blue running track  ;)

lakeside-stadium-in-albert-park.jpg

After doing a bit of reading and reading in between the lines this weekend on the Buy Out I have TBH and say the Pixie Dust on the sale of the club has really started to rub off and agree with FB on a lot of points. In fact I can even see why the MVFC fans are commenting on this sale being the birth of a new club rather than a transition for Melbourne Heart.

Already:

•  
  • Sidwell when asked about the club's colours said "It was completely up to the owners”.
  • The FFA have already said it was City’s choice to change the Club’s Colours and it was normal for there to be two football sides in the same league with the same colours.
I think it’s pretty obvious that alongside the Crest and Name that our colours will be changed.

At this stage I will be supporting Melbourne City – But not as I supported Melbourne Heart because the more and more I think about it I agree with the Mongs and if our Colours, Crest and Name Changes then dont see this new team as Melbourne Heart.

Agree. It was exciting to get rid of our useless owners, and surprisingly getting new owners with the resources to grow our club, but as that excitement wear off, some issues definitely come up.

Name change isn't the end of the world, primarily because Melbourne City is a name I could see us changing to irrespective of new owners because it does represent our club to an extent, I have always felt that we are a Melbourne team, where as the Visitors are a Victorian team, and it's quite clear when you look at colours, or even the symbols we have embraced (eg Melbourne flag). The fact it is the new owners trying to impose their identity on us does bother me, and I'd much rather keep our current name, but I don't feel it's the end of the world.

But changing the colours as well, to me that crosses the line and it's not the same team any more. I can see myself still supporting the new team, but it's not Melbourne Heart.

My Tifo Painting trousers have Red, White, and Black all over them... not blue. :hmm:

Edited by cadete

The key issue here is that supporters MUST have a say, and we MUST be listened too by the new owners on whatever decisions we make.

If we don't want our clubs colours to change, they must respect us on that. If we don't want our name or logo to change they must respect us on that too.

If any name change, colour change or logo change happens, it can't be forced on us.

It needs to done in consultation with fans because there is a real pressing desire from the fanbase to see changes, not because the new owners want us to fit in with the foreign identity of some European club.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 4

I really don't care about the other codes or cross promotion or any of that peripheral crap. 

Winning will bring the crowds. People say look at Brisbane they have played well and crowds have not increased... well that's because it's Brisbane dammit. 

I'm sorry but I don't want any "cross" promotion with other codes. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. 

That's fine, but as far as I'm concerned, the people who feel that same way aren't losing anything be the club exploring such initiatives. No-one would be holding a gun to their heads. But for people like me who pretty much love all sports, it would probably be the kick in the bum I need to get along to a few Storm games, when they don't clash with my AFL team - and support our new part-owners. I think our city, for the most part, respects a sporting club that embraces other clubs that others might see as a rival for our attention. Especially the Storm, whose season doesn't clash with ours. Better to extend the hand of friendship, I say.

The key issue here is that supporters MUST have a say, and we MUST be listened too on by the new owners on whatever decision is made.

If we don't want our clubs colours to change, they must respect us on that. If we don't want our name or logo to change they must respect us on that too.

If any name change, colour change or logo change happens, it can't be forced on us.

It needs to done in consultation with fans because there is a real pressing desire from the fanbase to see changes, not because the new owners want us to fit in with the foreign identity of some European club.

Spot on. I actually could see them getting the name change they want if they went down this route, as I think there is support for the name change amongst a lot of the fanbase, but for it to be imposed on us is a problem for me.

I can't see a colour change being supported by the fans though.

The key issue here is that supporters MUST have a say, and we MUST be listened too on by the new owners on whatever decision is made.

The thing is that normally when a change at a Professional Sporting Club like this occurs and a major issue arises amongst the fans like we have with the Colours...

If the talk and assumptions are wrong then the Club will quickly bring out a statement to allay the Supporters fears (In fact even Munn himself has done this a few times in the past.)

Yet all we hearing is complete silence - Even after Lynch wrote an article about our fears on the specfic issue.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

The key issue here is that supporters MUST have a say, and we MUST be listened too by the new owners on whatever decisions we make.

i think the majority of supporters feel that this will happen and have already embraced it.

As long as Melbourne stays red and white, ill be happy. We know our history and that is all that matters in the end.

I'm very confident that our colours will remain Red and White.

Have to agree with this, people just seem to be panicking for no reason, lets just wait and see what happens instead of just assuming the worst.

Honestly. How long is it since we changed owners? IIRC since last Thursday, 10.00 a.m. Since then a perfectly sane statement from Ferran Soriano, and a whole lot of speculation from journalists miffed at the fact they missed the scoop by miles. A straight bat answer to a question put to Gallop, a comment from Sidwell who's sold out and made a profit. Comments by others who've never cared a toss about our club from the beginning and would have happily seen it die.

Nothing's happened yet. Is all this panic a product of the nanny state mentality where no-one can look after themselves? Look, if Melbourne Heart morphs into something you don't like, then fair enough if you want to jump ship. It's your choice, goodbye, all the very best and thanks for all you've contributed and enjoy the rest of your life. If Melbourne Heart morphs into something you like or at least can accept and you continue on as before, or decide to join us, then welcome to the club, enjoy the ride, and see you on matchday at AAMI.

And if you do decide to quit, think of what would have almost certainly happened if the ADG had not come along. We would most likely been sold to Indonesia or China, or died altogether.

• Like 4

The thing is that normally when a change at a Professional Sporting Club like this occurs and a major issue arises amongst the fans like we have with the Colours...

If the talk and assumptions are wrong then the Club will quickly bring out a statement to allay the Supporters fears (In fact even Munn himself has done this a few times in the past.)

Yet all we hearing is complete silence - Even after Lynch wrote an article about our fears on the specfic issue.

Yeah, I'm struggling to work it out. The owners offered a statement saying the will listen and left it at that, which seems fair enough. But the other messages coming from FFA and the unquestioned media reports etc, and the lack of response/clarification is concerning me too.

No reason?

Sidwell's disconnecting himself from the issue and the FFA's positive comments towards such a move are two reasons.

What evidence do we have that the colours will be protected?

PPL on a forum saying we should not panic, or that they have hunchs... nothing from the FFA, City or the Media to calm the masses.

The reality is this new club is going to be far more Manchester City than it is Melbourne Heart... and although I will probably support the team I wont be putting in the hours that I did for Heart.

I'm not sure what else Sidwell could have done. Sure, it would have been nice for him to secure a guarantee from the new owners, but he's just made $5-6 million on the sale...I'm pretty sure he would have been keen to keep them as happy as possible, which may have just mean it wasn't discussed at all. And now that it's not his team, he can't guarantee anything.

As for the FFA, who knows? Gallop straight-batted the question and I'm not sure how else he could have handled it.

I agree, it's a distinct possibility (anyone who thinks it isn't is kidding themselves, in my opinion) and I would be hopeful that as a minimum, the stripes are retained as an away kit (though red and white at home and sky blue away is by far my preferred scenario), though it won't be a deal breaker for me. But the statements by Sidwell and Gallop really don't mean anything, in and of themselves. Until the Man City group starts talking about it, I think it's just speculation.

Yeah, I'm struggling to work it out. The owners offered a statement saying the will listen and left it at that, which seems fair enough. But the other messages coming from FFA and the unquestioned media reports etc, and the lack of response/clarification is concerning me too.

The Lynch articles could quite easily have been done at MH's instigation, just to fly it up the flagpole and see what response they get. Which has been overwhelmingly that the red and white stripes should be retained. We'll find out in due course, but don't expect anything beyond rumours/speculation until the end of the season, as the City group has said that no big decisions will be made until then.

The key issue here is that supporters MUST have a say, and we MUST be listened too on by the new owners on whatever decision is made.If we don't want our clubs colours to change, they must respect us on that. If we don't want our name or logo to change they must respect us on that too.If any name change, colour change or logo change happens, it can't be forced on us.It needs to done in consultation with fans because there is a real pressing desire from the fanbase to see changes, not because the new owners want us to fit in with the foreign identity of some European club.

Spot on. I actually could see them getting the name change they want if they went down this route, as I think there is support for the name change amongst a lot of the fanbase, but for it to be imposed on us is a problem for me.I can't see a colour change being supported by the fans though.

Yep. That is my exact position on this. Not overly fussed if a name change occurs, but only if the supporterbase wants it. Not because the owners want us to resemble their Man City.

Having any skyblue on our kits (baically the colours of our biggest intercity rival) home or away, is something I'm totally against.

• Like 1

I used to have a lot of respect for Michael Lynch and his articles, felt they were mostly balanced and informative.

He's now gone down the path of sensationalism and I feel like he's needlessly trolling us with rumour and innuendo that doesn't really have substance.

I'm still not totally over the moon about this sale, I'll set those feelings aside for when I know for sure what's happening. Speculation is useless at this point.

Sash, with respect...this is the how the statement from Soriano concludes:

'I understand that many of you will have questions about the future of the Club. We are committed to sharing information with you as soon as we can. However, as I stated yesterday, out of respect for the players and coaching staff in the middle of the Hyundai A-League season, we will not be making any more major announcements until the end of the current season.

In the meantime, we should all ensure that the team on the pitch enjoys all of our support for a strong and successful remainder of the season.'

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/A-Letter-from-the-CEO-of-Manchester-City-FC/84083

No more major announcements can be expected until the end of the current season.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a deal breaker, more that it won't feel the same club, but a new club. I think most people will stay and follow 'Melbourne City' it just won't be heart to them. Everyone is different though.

For me personally I guess I'm not that tribal or fanatical these days. Was when younger, but going to games is more about me having fun and catching up with mates more than live and die for MY club. Some people will say that's a shit attitude, but I'm not going to apologise for that, it's just the way I am these days. I understand and appreciate it's different for others though. Whatever happens I will still go and support and by a membership to whoever has this licence (until it becomes so shit I can't stand it) but I'll be fighting to stay red and white etc. I'm along the same lines as FB, it's about being consulted and valued as fans and members.  

• Like 1

In regards to the colours, some Man City fans have referred to Hyde FC to justify why our colours will change.

The background is that Man City bailed out Hyde, the trade off seemingly being the use of Hyde's facilities for the reserves and academy.

This is from wikipedia:

In the club's first season; 1919–20, Hyde United players wore a black shirt with white shorts. This was followed by black and white stripes and then red shirts from 1927. Red and white would continue as the club's colours to this day with the exception of 1971–1974 and 2010–11 tangerine shirts and white shirts were used respectively.[28] In 2009, the club announced that they had struck a deal with Pelada, a sporting company, who would supply their kit for the 2009–10 season.[29] In 2010, the club announced that Hyde United F.C. would change its name to Hyde FC and the team's kit would change to white shirt and navy shorts.[30] At a fans night the following month, the club launched the new kit, announcing that it would be supplied by Umbro and sponsored by Manchester City's City in the Community scheme, which had also been the shirt sponsors for the previous season.[31] Before the start of the 2011–12 season, the club announced that they would be reverting their shirt colour back to red, after just one season in white. The club also announced that the supplier of the kit for 2011–12 was Pelada and the shirt sponsor would stay the same for the third season running, City in the Community.[32]

The club's crest is an adaptation of the Hyde borough coat of arms.[33] The crest was initially red but was changed to sky blue in 2010 when the club changed its name and kit colours as part of the City in the Community sponsorship deal.[

As you can read, contrary to popular opinion, Hyde were not changed from red to sky blue.

I think it is wise to be concerned about our colours and to take what action we can to make ourselves heard, but I think the chances of getting shafted to sky blue (at home at least) are small.  Away could be a problem if we don't present ourselves well.    Bart Campbell will be aware of the significance of Sky Blue in Australia and may be a useful ally against setting us up as NSW's team based in Melbourne.

I don't think that despite us conflating the 2 visible signs of identity, name and colours, they they have to be addressed at the dame time. It's easy to change the name and continue to play in the same colours.If, at a later stage there was a consensus that a change of colour was a good idea, then that could be revisited.

In fact I can even see why the MVFC fans are commenting on this sale being the birth of a new club rather than a transition for Melbourne Heart.

Agreed. As loads of people across the net have said it, City have not bought a club they have bought a licence- and they are right.

Heart were circling the drain but obviously seeing another expansion club go under would be a disaster for Australian football, so this is being sold as a change in ownership, when in reality the only thing we have as a club that City are interested in is our licence. Regardless of how much acknowledgment they pay to our short history, it will still be a different club.  

Edited by KSK_47

In fact I can even see why the MVFC fans are commenting on this sale being the birth of a new club rather than a transition for Melbourne Heart.

Agreed. As loads of people across the net have said it, City have not bought a club they have bought a licence- and they are right.

Heart were circling the drain but obviously seeing another expansion club go under would be a disaster for Australian football, so this is being sold as a change in ownership, when in reality the only thing we have as a club that City are interested in is our licence. Regardless of how much acknowledgment they pay to our short history, it will still be a different club.  

Yes, it's like buying into Jim's Mowing.  Pay your franchise fee, put the standard logo and telephone number on your car/trailer and off you go.

Interesting to know what the conditions were to the purchase of the HeartFC license. It's been reported that Lowy kicked off discussions with MCFC and given his historical link to SFC, I don't think think we're going to see a major clash of colours. I'm confident red&white will prevail in the majority but am expecting some sky blue to indicate a link to our new owners. I'm also sure that the new owners will not want to alienate the main supporter base that has been turning up during one shit performance after another and chase another group of non-attending, yet to be identified, mythical supporters. Keep the core and move onwards from there.

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Contrary to popular belief, Heart were not in trouble before this buyout. 

Even though our performances stunk, our Fan base was growing and crowd numbers were up, and our finances were as good as many other clubs.

There are still 3 clubs with lower AVG attendance than us this year!

We were on an upward Trend from a club perspective - albeit a slow trend. 

All that is history now, but sometimes we do need a reality check.

• Like 5

Yes, it's like buying into Jim's Mowing.  Pay your franchise fee, put the standard logo and telephone number on your car/trailer and off you go.

No, its more like buying all the clients from Jim's Mowing run and calling it (and running it) something completely differnt

Contrary to popular belief, Heart were not in trouble before this buyout. 

Even though our performances stunk, our Fan base was growing and crowd numbers were up, and our finances were as good as many other clubs.

There are still 3 clubs with lower AVG attendance than us this year!

We were on an upward Trend from a club perspective - albeit a slow trend. 

All that is history now, but sometimes we do need a reality check.

If by trouble you mean were not going broke, you are correct. 

By being in trouble, I mean that memberships were basically as they were since day 1 (the notion that we were growing is being blindly optimistic). And financially the only reason we were in good shape is because the club didnt spend a cent. 

By circling the drain I meant going nowhere fast and unable to continue as operated. 

Edited by KSK_47

Really can't see us dropping the red, there'd just be way too many pissed off people from what is an already small membership base. The local branding is much more important than the global branding, and its completely normal for global corporations to adjust their product based on local demands. 

• Like 1

No, its more like buying all the clients from Jim's Mowing run and calling it (and running it) something completely differnt

Yep, I think I get where you're coming from. Calling it something completely different  - Melbourne Heart FC to Melbourne City FC - if this is the case then not totally different.

But running it completely different  - from El Cheapo wheelie bin mentality to investment in facilities, professional management, etc - yes would be fantastic and needed.

If city just wanted a licence, i have no doubt the FFA would have sold them one for a nice fee. 

They bought the club, not just the licence

What do we have that is of interest to them?

7000 members,  a community base that is spread far and wide & a premium home stadium 

• Like 3

It's been reported that Lowy kicked off discussions with MCFC

Again. Suggests that this was a way to get us out of the picture, without having to fold another club. They probably wanted Sydney because of the Sky Blue thing and when Sydney turned them down they went for second best. 

If city just wanted a licence, i have no doubt the FFA would have sold them one for a nice fee. 

7000 members,  a community base that is spread far and wide & a premium home stadium 

7000 members is not a lot. Being the global powerhouse I am sure they will have no trouble attracting 7000 people.

A community base spread far and wide- I am not really sure what you mean by this. 

Its not our stadium. 

I don't know their motivations, or if we have anything they want. But I'm absolutely sick of people talking this club down.

If nothing else, we've made a start on the things they want to do. They want a club with a strong community link? We're doing that. They want an academy and teaching linked to Barca methods? We've started that ourselves. They want a foothold in Australia's biggest sporting city? We've started that. And if they want passionate supporters who love the club and turn up no matter what, they can have that too if they take us along with them.

Ran out of likes, but this deserves a fist bump !! POW !!

• Like 1

I don't know their motivations, or if we have anything they want. But I'm absolutely sick of people talking this club down.

If nothing else, we've made a start on the things they want to do. They want a club with a strong community link? We're doing that. They want an academy and teaching linked to Barca methods? We've started that ourselves. They want a foothold in Australia's biggest sporting city? We've started that. And if they want passionate supporters who love the club and turn up no matter what, they can have that too if they take us along with them.

We have spoken a lot about these things but we have not started any of them

As for passionate supporters, 100% agree. Unbelievable how passionate our supporters are and feel that the previous owners had no idea of the gold mine they were sitting on had they just run the club as it should have been

7000 members is not a lot. Being the global powerhouse I am sure they will have no trouble attracting 7000 people.

A community base spread far and wide- I am not really sure what you mean by this. 

Its not our stadium. 

We do have Melbourne. It's debatable whether Manchester City would have been interested in buying a club that wasn't based in Melbourne or Sydney. And we have huge potential for growth, if our club ever becomes a consistent power in the league, far more than Sydney FC and Victory, who are already well-established and West Sydney, which has boxed itself in to an extent, by basing itself specifically in the western part of the city (which is why we sold for more than they did).

Its not our stadium. 

We do have Melbourne... And we have huge potential for growth

Exactly. None of that has anything to do with the club itself. Its a licence in Melbourne they wanted and ours was available.