Melbourne Football

Round 1 - Heart v Victory

heartrate

Heart and soul count in Victory pursuit as derby clash looms on the horizon

David Davutovic Herald Sun October 04, 2013 10:07 PM

FORMER Melbourne Heart coach John vant Schip and new assistant Gerard Nus hope to plot the downfall of Melbourne Victory next weekend.

Spaniard Nus arrived in Melbourne this week to start his role as assistant alongside Hayden Foxe, while Van’t Schip began his job as technical manager last week.

Nus, who was head of academy at English Championship club Brighton last season and with Gus Poyet was part of Rafa Benitez’s staff when Liverpool coach, will also help run Heart’s soon-to-be-formed college of football.

Foxe travelled to Hobart to watch Victory’s 3-0 win against Western Sydney last Sunday and the coaching staff has spent the past few days watching DVDs of Victory’s pre-season games to determine the game plan for the Etihad Stadium derby.

Both clubs have tried to keep the tail-end of their preparations secret with Victory playing recent friendlies against Newcastle Jets and Adelaide United behind closed doors at AAMI Park.

Heart cancelled yesterday’s intraclub match and held a normal training session instead.

Coach John Aloisi said retaining possession would be one of the key factors next Saturday at Etihad Stadium.

“We’ve got a fair idea of how Victory play, we’ve been working a bit on that this week and we’ll do more next week," he said.

“We know they are a very good side, good passing and movement and, if you don’t press them right, they’ll outplay you and end up at the other end very quickly in front of goal.

“We’ll have to make sure we’re organised and, secondly, when we have the ball we can keep it and create problems for Victory. We feel we’ll be better having the ball and not allowing Victory to dictate the game. We want to be able to control the game better than them.

“They have some players missing (Kosta Barbarouses and Mark Milligan), but normally the players that come in do exactly the same role for Ange (Postecoglou), so we’re quite confident

that not much will change come Round 1 with what they’ve been doing in preseason."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/football/heart-and-soul-count-in-victory-pursuit-as-derby-clash-looms-on-horizon/story-fnii0g4g-1226733247663

SO it seems like this guy is a full time assistant to JA and part time help to JVS where as JVS is part time for us and full time at the academy? 

Off the field we have had a terrific offseason and if Engelaar recovers well and we get him in the new year then it should be a great year.

Pretty amazed by what the club has achieved in the off season. After looking like easy beats last season we've strengthened the player roster and now the coaching side. It's really an acknowledgement that we fucked up when appointing JA/Foxe without proper support. These were raw coaches and were thrown in to the HAL without life vests. Kudos to the club for trying to give JA help without instantly burning him up. Finishing in the top half of the ladder surely must be a reasonable expectation.

See I have a different view.  if you're the head coach, you're DA MAN.  Your "support' should be the assistant coach.  

If neither are ready, then they should never have been appointed.

Yes Heart are making the best of bad coaching situation by appointing Nus and JVS, but JA and Foxe were not ready, are not ready, and IMO we will end up with both being sacked by the middle of the season anyway.

• Like 1

@core, is the chance of getting a whole end at next etihad derby a possibility?

We can have the whole Norf End this derby because of their petulant boycott. Get in :up:

Anyone got an Visitors Area Active ticket spare?

woulda thought there'd be a few visitor seats free TBH  :P

Regardless of the fact that it's Victory, the way that the club's board has treated its fans over active support is pretty terrible and I'd be appalled if Heart's board ever tried to pull anything similar. 

The atmosphere is what truly sets the A-League apart from other codes in this country.

Patrick Gerhardt predicts Melbourne Heart can upset across town rivals

David Davutovic Herald Sun October 06, 2013

THE man who set the tone for Melbourne Hearts Round 1 derby win last season is confident the underdog can cause an upset at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Patrick Gerhardt’s crunching tackle on Melbourne Victory’s Gui Finkler in the opening seconds of last year’s clash set an aggressive tone for Heart which helped them secure a 2-1 win courtesy of David Williams and Dylan Macallister.

Heart, which will be without Maltese striker Michael Mifsud, is a $4 outsider with TAB despite Victory missing Mark Milligan and Kosta Barbarouses due to international duty.

The tough-tackling Gerhardt, who may be moved into midfield after the injury to marquee Orlando Engelaar, is licking his lips ahead of Saturday’s game.

"Every time I’m on the park I try to give my best. I’m a physical player and when I’m on the field I want to win all my battles and I go 100 per cent," Gerhardt said.

"We only won one of the three games last season but we played good football and were very unlucky to lose two of them, especially the home one when we conceded in the last minute.

"They were fantastic games and the atmosphere was great and I am expecting the same.

"We will go out there and play our game and I think Heart will be the winner."

Gerhardt, who was runner-up in Heart’s best and fairest count last season behind departed Richard Garcia, said a brutal pre-season has the team better prepared for 2013-14.

"Yes we’re very confident that we can win the game because we’ve had a strong pre-season and worked hard and we’re confident in ourselves," he said.

"The pre-season was much harder than last year, we’ve run a lot more and played plenty of games and we’ll be ready on the field.

"Now when we play we feel more comfortable so we should have a much better season."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/patrick-gerhardt-predicts-melbourne-heart-can-upset-across-town-rivals/story-fndm8psv-1226733577147

Edited by Murfy1

All we need now is a decent chant for him!

Pat Gerhadt Gerhadt

He looks like charizard

He's big and he's farking hard

Pat Gerhadt Gerhadt

OR 

Pat Gerhadt Gerhadt

He'll slide all the farking tards

He's big like Charizard

Pat Gerhadt Gerhadt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xiMvtJq40

Edited by RoyalHeart

Reading the sun today and they had the possible line-ups for the derby and guess who they had at rb? Captain Hoff :droy:

Who else was in the line up besides Hoffman © ?

In the sun they predictated that we were going to play a 4-2-3-1 looking like this:

Mebrahtu

Williams--- Kewell--------Mate

Gerdhart-------Migilorini

Behich-----Wielart-------Kisnorbo-------Hoffman

Pretty accurate imo, Wielart would be one i would question, hasn't played any pre-season games and has only come back from an injury in the past couple of weeks. Maybe be better having him come off the bench?