Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

So of our current injuries I think only Brown is a carry over from last year, all the others are this season.

Categories: training, match, impact, 2014. From memory.

Marino : match

Velaphi: impact

Novillo: match

Franjic: training 

Zullo: match ?

Koren: match ?

Clisby: match

Hughes: training 

Brown: 2014

The injury list as of Saturday:

Outs : 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 10.Robert KOREN (calf - 2 weeks), 20.Tando VELAPHI (concussion - TBC), 22.Jack CLISBY (quad - TBC)
Unavailable : 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 3-5 weeks),  9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 2-3 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-melbourne-city-fc-v/6hvqedl81ar01h4iuvdvobenm#E7Fhkf82cMuZ1AYE

So, logically Hughes and Velaphi would be tests for Friday night, with Novillo, Koren and Zullo some sort of chance for the following week against Adelaide. 

As of 24th October:

Outs : 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 10.Robert KOREN (calf - 2 weeks), 20.Tando VELAPHI (concussion - TBC), 22.Jack CLISBY (quad - TBC)
Unavailable : 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 3-5 weeks),  9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 2-3 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

As of 29th October:

3. Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5. Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 2-3 weeks), 9. Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 1-2 weeks), 10. Robert KOREN (calf – 1 week), 11. Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 14. James BROWN (foot – indefinite), 20. Tando VELAPHI (concussion – 1 week), 26. Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

Aaron Hughes seems to be on a rolling (calf - 1 week) basis...will he ever play this season or is this another grella type disaster. 

Grella wanted a "pay me if I can get back on the pitch" contract with Heart, but that was not allowed by the PFA. He bought a corporate box from the club to compensate it for the wages they were forced to pay him. He also retired (contract ended) when he realised that he was not going to make a return to football.

Vince did all the right things.

We don't know what the deal is with Hughes, but prima facie he looks like being a very poor signing. Similarly Zullo and Franjic. The saving grace with Hughes and Zullo is that they're on only one year contracts, but not so Franjic.

• Like 1

i don't expect "the injury twins" (Franjic and Zullo) to play before Christmas.

I'm confident they'll play before Christmas, but I don't think either of them will play very soon.

So? Zullo has played 45 minutes of football already. The question is not only whether they play before or after Xmas but also whether they won't re-injure themselves. This also applies to Franjic and Novillo. The club seems to be a magnet for players who suffer regular soft tissue injuries.

As of 24th October:

As of 29th October:

3. Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5. Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 2-3 weeks), 9. Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 1-2 weeks), 10. Robert KOREN (calf – 1 week), 11. Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 14. James BROWN (foot – indefinite), 20. Tando VELAPHI (concussion – 1 week), 26. Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

As of 4 November

Unavailable:  5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 1-2 weeks), 10.Robert KOREN (calf – 3-4 weeks), 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 1-2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – indefinite), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-adelaide-united-v/1lvko2eidvtcs1bc3e6ohyt6pb#qbe9LSfYYcEC75Iz.99

And yet, as far as I know, crickets from the club. That's unacceptable. Injuries and aggravations/setbacks occur and it's pointless directing the blame at Koren or our medical team without having the full story, but it's simply not good enough for the club to actively keep information from us about our international marquee suffering an obvious setback with his injury and going from probably being pencilled in for a comeback against the Wanderers to being yet another month away from returning. He could have been a very handy inclusion for us next week, with Mooy unavailable and I, for one, think the club should feel an obligation to tell us what's going on.

If any injured player's recovery time is tracking in the wrong direction, as Koren's obviously is, the club owes its supporters an explanation.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

Well it certainly seems like a failure with Koren out for another 3-4 weeks. Utter waste of space !!!

Koren was signed last season and obviously there's a greater window to make a judgement there.

I was referring to guys like Franjic, Zullo and Hughes who are getting talked about as failed signings when we're only 4 (3 at the time I made that comment) games in.

The problem is that once you miss pre-season with injury you are chasing fitness and form for the whole season and struggling to fit into your role with your teammates. That many injuries is a major major disruption both through the player absences and then also to a degree when they are reintroduced into the team although this is somewhat mitigated by more competition and more team selection options

• Like 2

The Germano treatment centre is already world renown. Any footballer can count his career as complete if he's spent at least one season there.

has anyone seen that chaser episode where they put the mullet on the bradman statue to honour Jason Gillespie's double hundred? i think we should turn up to the medical facilities and rename it after germano, or put a santa hat on everything

Koren was signed last season and obviously there's a greater window to make a judgement there.

I was referring to guys like Franjic, Zullo and Hughes who are getting talked about as failed signings when we're only 4 (3 at the time I made that comment) games in.

When your season is a mere 27 matches then missing the first 5 is missing almost 20% of it. Hughes is on a one-season contract because he wants to represent his country later this season and can't do it without a club. Zullo is with us likewise to re-ignite his career in Europe. Neither is offering us anything for the future. I'm not going to say they're "failed", but I'd rather see two signings that offer us something for the future.

• Like 1

When your season is a mere 27 matches then missing the first 5 is missing almost 20% of it. Hughes is on a one-season contract because he wants to represent his country later this season and can't do it without a club. Zullo is with us likewise to re-ignite his career in Europe. Neither is offering us anything for the future. I'm not going to say they're "failed", but I'd rather see two signings that offer us something for the future.

Fornaroliesque!

Zullo was one of the best young players in the league and got himself a move to Europe that fell apart partly because of injury, of course he's going to want to reignite his career and attempt to get back over there. Sure, he might not be here next year, but if you'd have offered me Zullo for JUST one season this year I'd have bitten your hand off, a proven A-League quality player which addresses an area of weakness in our team? Yes please.

As for Hughes, I wasn't super keen on his signing from day dot but I'm willing to give him a chance. Regardless of how long he decides to be here for, if he ends up contributing in a meaningful way that's all matters. We needed another CB (preferably an experienced one seeing as how our current stocks include Kisnorbo, Chapman and Clisby) and we've gotten one, it's irritating he's missed the first 4 (made the bench for game 5) games due to Injury/international call-ups but he's back now, so let's give him a chance to see what he can offer. Once again though, if he ends up performing, big deal on what his motivations were for coming here.

I don't honestly know what some people expect, we're playing in the the A-League, good players in the peaks of their careers aren't going to come here just to dedicate themselves to our club for the best years of their career, be realistic.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

Zullo is an interesting case. Injury curtailed his European experience, then he came back to AU on loan and returned to Europe once that was done. AFAIK he was then released by his club and Melbourne City came calling. Yes he has signed for one season but thus far injury continues to plague him - right now he has not had the chance to prove himself to anyone and if his injury woes continue he is not going to impress anyone. Indeed, the club would be obliged to not offer him another contract because of injury - and I doubt anyone in Europe would offer him another opportunity. So where does that leave him right now? Well his body needs to show that it can handle the rigours of professional football, then he has to impress Melb City staff so that he does get selected to start and retain his spot. He is already missing a chunk of the regular season and with no apparent time for his return. My thoughts are that his career is almost done.

I don't honestly know what some people expect, we're playing in the the A-League, good players in the peaks of their careers aren't going to come here just to dedicate themselves to our club for the best years of their career, be realistic.

I expect our club to stop signing players with known injury issues. And players just having one more season. Because I'm fed up at seeing us have players unavailable for large chunks of every season since we were formed.

• Like 1

I'd say 95% of Aussie's under 30 playing in the A-League are trying to use the league as a springboard to Europe, the difference with Zullo is he just said it publicly.

There's also no such thing as "signings that offer something for the future" and even if there is they're extremely rare. Player's that play well piss off to Europe/Asia and player's that don't play well drop down the state leagues. The only real long term players you get are those mediocre players that get labeled list cloggers and just get shuffled around the clubs. Look at squad turnover every season as evidence.

Good internationals that failed in Europe and don't have much ambition to return but are above average here are the absolute most you can hope for. Players like Broich, Smeltz, Berisha etc.

That's why unknown players like Tuna are much more exciting to me than big name marquees. They have a bigger upside and are traditionally the best performers. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a comparison I was thinking, most of our women have been training since the beginning of preseason on our pitch and playing on surfaces equal to or worse than the men. Yet we have how many of them injured? As far as I know I don't know of any.

How is it possible that there is such a difference between the two when there are such minimal variables? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Just as a comparison I was thinking, most of our women have been training since the beginning of preseason on our pitch and playing on surfaces equal to or worse than the men. Yet we have how many of them injured? As far as I know I don't know of any.

How is it possible that there is such a difference between the two when there are such minimal variables? 

Because our men's team is full of girls whilst our women's team is full of men.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'm starting to lean towards the theory about how the players are against JVS. They'll proberly feel a niggle but act like they won't be able to play for a period of time. 

• Like 1

Melbourne City has used 26 players after just six rounds

November 17, 2015

David Davutovic

SOCCEROOS defender Ivan Franjic is on the verge of returning for Melbourne City after four months out with a quad injury, but football staff is torn on whether to select him against his former club.

Franjic, who is yet to play an official game for City, played 57 minutes for the youth team on Saturday as he attempts to prove his fitness ahead of the clash against the A-League leaders.

The right-back suffered the quad injury in July but aggravated it in September, as he was at the tail-end of his recovery.

Experienced defender Aaron Hughes is in doubt for Friday’s clash after coming off at half-time of the diabolical loss to Western Sydney after feeling tightness in the same calf that kept him sidelined for much of pre-season and the early A-League rounds.

City has already used 23 players, two more than Roar and six more than Melbourne Victory, both of whom have been hurt by international duty far more.

Aaron Mooy missed his first game last week due to Socceroos duty and the A-League’s form player was sorely missed.

The midfielder will be rushed back for Friday’s clash, though his role will depend on his minutes in the Socceros’ clash away to Bangladesh tonight, where he’s destined to start as he has done in Ange Postecoglou’s last four games.

Robert Koren and Michael Zullo remain sidelined with calf injuries, while dangerous winger Harry Novillo has just returned from 11 weeks out with a torn hamstring.

Koren and Zullo both did their calves in the first half of the Round 2 Melbourne derby loss, with Zullo returning to training this week.

Koren — who like Franjic this year re-injured the same calf in his first pre-season with City when he was about to return — aggravated the other calf a few weeks ago and is at least a month away from returning.

This list does not include impact injuries, that have sidelined Marc Marino, James Brown, David Williams and Patrick Kisnorbo (corked calf).

It has no doubt made for some interesting debate in Manchester in recent days between City’s football department chiefs John Didulica and Michael Petrillo and chief executive Scott Munn and their in City Football Group overlords, led by Brian Marwood.

Last year’s handling of Koren, their prized new recruit at the time, caused some angst among CFG chiefs.

Is poor recruiting the issue? Signing younger players would help, but it’s not so simplistic.

Koren and Hughes came with pedigree and were fit in the season before joining City, while Franjic and Zullo are in their prime.

It’s no coincidence is that these injured players have all come from Europe, where the grounds are softer.

Players have privately complained about the hardness of City’s training surface while Etihad Stadium, where Koren and Zullo did their calves, is the hardest pitch in the A-League.

Andrew McKenzie was headhunted for the head of human performance role in October and John van’t Schip’s future could rest in the ex-Tottenham physios hands.

INJURY CURSE OR MISMANAGEMENT?

Melbourne City’s 2015-16 soft-tissue injury toll

Player Injury Games missed

Ivan Franjic Quad 6

Robert Koren Calf 4

Michael Zullo Calf 4

Harry Novillo Hamstring 4

Aaron Hughes Calf 2*

*Missed further games representing national team

#NOTE: Does not include impact injuries

A-LEAGUE PLAYERS USED 2015-16 (AFTER ROUND 6)

Team Players Used

Melbourne City 23

Brisbane 21

Central Coast 21

Newcastle 19

Wellington 19

Perth Glory 19

Western Sydney 18

Adelaide 17

Melbourne Victory 17

Sydney FC 17

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-has-used-26-players-after-just-six-rounds/news-story/162655468fef050e153528295adee665

20 minutes ago, Jestr said:

If hardness of the ground is a contributing factor to injuries and shityhad is the hardest of them all, why mv is not in the same boat with bucketload of crippled players. 

It's alleged that they've "privately" (i.e."off the record" to a journo) blamed the hardness of the surface at CFA Melbourne. It's supposed to be a direct copy of the set-up in Manchester so that's very difficult to believe.

The women train there twice a day, and don't seem to have a problem.

We've had a number of highly-credentialled people trying to address the problem we have with injuries and injury management. Seemingly to no effect whatsoever. I think haz is close to the mark and that a number of players aren't too fussed about playing. Roll up about 10. Get a bit of a massage with some nice smelling oil. Say your calf still hurts. Get a coffee on the way home for lunch and spend the rest of the day with the family. And get paid via injury insurance. Repeat for two years and then move on.

My view is it's a systemic management issue, and wider than just the Head Coach.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic