Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

Updating:

Injury list at the moment appears to be;

Michael Zullo - knock on knee - no further information. 

Ivan Franjic - quad injury. Doubtful for Round 1.

Ben Garuccio - doubtful for Round 1. 

Jacob Melling - recovered but needs to build up match fitness.

David Williams - appears to be back training, but no information. 

Corey Gameiro - will not be ready for Round 1. 

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington FFA Cup game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - torn medial cruciate ligament sustained vs. Oakleigh. Estimated minimum time out 3 months.

James Brown - unspecified injury, Hernan Espindola signed as injury replacement.

Aaron Hughes - unspecified.

Currently ten senior squad players out though injury.

who said we're not honouring Melbourne hearts injury rich past?

Updating:

Injury list at the moment appears to be;

Michael Zullo - knock on knee - no further information. 

Ivan Franjic - quad injury. Doubtful for Round 1.

Ben Garuccio - doubtful for Round 1. 

Jacob Melling - recovered but needs to build up match fitness.

David Williams - appears to be back training, but no information. 

Corey Gameiro - will not be ready for Round 1. 

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington FFA Cup game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - torn medial cruciate ligament sustained vs. Oakleigh. Estimated minimum time out 3 months.

James Brown - unspecified injury, Hernan Espindola signed as injury replacement.

Aaron Hughes - unspecified.

Currently ten senior squad players out though injury.

Add a keeper to that list and you've got a serviceable team... Probably better than the Jets anyway!

• Like 1

I get the feeling that this is not so much a crisis but more JVS being spooked about the injury record and wrapping everyone who even looks injured in cotton wool, until they are probably about 10000000% sure they are ready.

if I were JVS I'd be playing for draws the first two rounds

It certainly appears we are bringing players back into the fold late. It's an overly cautious approach, but given the Heart's injury record in the past and the chicken littles on this forum and the media, I certainly don't blame JVS and the medical staff for having that approach.

• Like 2

It certainly appears we are bringing players back into the fold late. It's an overly cautious approach, but given the Heart's injury record in the past and the chicken littles on this forum and the media, I certainly don't blame JVS and the medical staff for having that approach.

I agree - At this time of the Season at lot of players are going to be listed as injured who would be pushing through if it was in a few months time...

I agree - At this time of the Season at lot of players are going to be listed as injured who would be pushing through if it was in a few months time...

Nevertheless, given that one of the objects of pre-season is to get players used to each other and the style that the coach wants them to play - especially with the turnover on players that we have had - it's not helpful to have so many players on the sidelines and for such extended periods. Particularly players such as Zullo and Hughes who we've signed only for one season.

People have focussed on Sorensen as a waste of a visa place; if anyone should be the focus of that attention it should be Hughes.

• Like 1

I agree about wrapping players in cotton wool. I've got a feeling our new physio department is taking a cautious approach to the recovery of players.

And whilst I agree that now isn't the time to definitively judge the value of any new player to the team, I also find it disappointing that Hughes, who's only signed for this season, is sidelined. It's not like he's been playing a lot for either club or country. So I'd like to see him on the pitch and making a positive impact pretty soon.

Edited by Murfy1

I agree about wrapping players in cotton wool. I've got a feeling our new physio department is taking a cautious approach to the recovery of players.

And whilst I agree that now isn't the time to definitively judge the value of any new player to the team, I also find it disappointing that Hughes, who's only signed for this season, is sidelined. It's not like he's been playing a lot for either club or country. So I'd like to see him on the pitch and making a positive impact pretty soon.

I was under the impression he's not injured but just lacking match fitness, could be wrong though.

• Like 1

I was under the impression he's not injured but just lacking match fitness, could be wrong though.

JvS was emphatic when he said "Aaron Hewgs" is not ready to play. Maybe it's lack of match fitness, but surely a player lacking match fitness doesn't get on the bench for his country as "Hewgs" was only a week or so ago?

Here's the list of injured/recovering players

·         James Brown - long term injury. Hernan Espindola signed as an injury replacement

·         Marc Marino - MCL injury

·         Harry Novillo - doing recovery work in the gym (instagram)

·         Ivan Franjic - "I'll be 50-50 for the start of the season" (today)

·         David Williams - at least doing fitness training with the team at training (photo 16 of training last week)

·         Ben Garuccio – at least doing fitness training with the team at training (photo 17 of training last week)

·         Corey Gameiro - “I’m doing very well and back in training with the team, so I’m very close” (Twitter, 29 Sept.)

·         Jacob Melling - full training with the team (photo 1 of training last week)

·         Michael Zullo – unknown. When asked if he'd be a chance for round 1 on Twitter, he said "fingers crossed!" (Twitter, 29 Sept.)

·         Aaron Hughes - unknown

The above is what's definitely known. Also it was reported yesterday that "City has gone deep into the FFA Cup despite having a lot of players out injured during the pre-season. Paartalu said most of those players were back in full training now and would gradually be seen as the club's A-League campaign takes off. Many of those players are attackers." (http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/10/03/mooy-form-no-surprise-paartalu)

Maybe there's a reason why only 1 player, James Brown, has an injury replacement, because the other players are pretty close to being ready for selection. So it might be that player recoveries are actually progressing well

• Like 5

Unavailabilities:
Rd1: 3.Aaron HUGHES (international duty), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad - 5-7 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee - 1-2 weeks), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring - 4-5 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot - TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot - 1-2 weeks), 21.Stefan MAUK (international duty), 26.Marc MARINO (knee - 3 months)

Rd2: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1-2 weeks), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 4-6 weeks), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – 1 week), 9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 3-4 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (foot – 1 week), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

Franjic, Gameiro, Novillo and Garuccio's injuries have all gone down by a week, whilst Hughes' went from international duty to 1-2 weeks!

Retre has really come on. His first game last season was soooooo bad. But he is really starting to look like a good long term talent. Bit of kudos there for JVS

kudos to Retre for picking himself up after starting so terribly

I'm just thankful JVS gave Hoffman away 

Whatever the club says, i double it.  So another 3 weeks out would be about 12, which fits.

Why they can't estimate it right initially, i don't know.

It's like that scene from The Office, with the long-suffering City fans playing the role of staff and our club's media department and coaches playing the role of David Brent. I couldn't think of a paid employee of Melbourne City that could play the 'voice of reason' character, so Jennifer will have to be played by Jennifer.

MC offical: I gave an interview only this morning to the press, assuring them that there are no long-term injuries at this club and there certainly won't be surgeries, so...

Jennifer: Well, why on Earth would you do that?

MC official: Why? Oh, don't know. A little word I think's important in a sporting club called "morale".

Jennifer: Well, surely it's going to be worse for morale in the long run when these do become LTIs and you've told our supporters that they won't be.

[pause]

MC official: They won't remember.

(rinse and repeat)

• Like 6

team absences from injury are now to be reported in new units: a Germano, Engelaar or Koren

1 Germano = ¾ of a season

1 Engelaar = ½ season

1 Koren = ¼ season

I'm claiming credit for coming up with the concept.

"A Germano: a unit of time used for something that is originally thought to be of 3 weeks duration, that normally extends to about 20 weeks"

• Like 2

• jw1739 unpinned this topic