Melbourne Football

Player injuries

Cinnamon

Sherlock don't be a smart ass, I never said I had an inside source. I know friends of people at the club yes, but not me. This is what I posted first week of June and you laughed at me.

Ok I got some good info yesterday from a senior assistant under JVS.

Pre season staying in Australia.

Germano, Hoff, Williams and Redders told to look for clubs otherwise they will be nothing but bench players. (Unless we have big injuries and the are needed.)

We have signed a few players which he was very happy with, all that was told was a new keeper and striker. He didn't want to say to much with them, he just said wait for announcements.

We are not and never were going for Georgevski.

Josh Kennedy sent away on holiday and told to asses his body and make a decision on his own. (Good chance won't play his last year)

Koren is staying (rumored his leaving was all bullshit.)

Dekker from the youth team is going to get a fair chance in pre season. (Striker golden boot)

We are playing Manchester City on the Gold Coast behind closed doors. (That was the CFG's decision.)

Germano staying as injury replacement for Melling, told to find another club.

Just what is the issue with Franjic? Hasn't put a foot on the park for us yet, and from what I've seen Retre is doing a good job, and if we sign Callum Richardson then we have two sound players for the RB position.

I have heard that Franjic has a few niggles to sort out so they are taking time with him to get it sorted properly. He got injured at the Asian cup and his Russian club treated him poorly in terms of getting proper rehabilitation, oh and of course stopped paying him.

So the injury list at the moment appears to be;

Michael Zullo - knock on the knee vs. Wellington and did not play against North Geelong.

Ivan Franjic - apparently a "quad injury" picked up at training (we must leave them lying around); not a single minute so far and doubtful for the start of the season.

Ben Garuccio - ankles. Started at nine weeks which has long since expired and no progress report since then. Germano-esque.

Jacob Melling - knee injury worse than first suspected but apparently three weeks away.

David Williams - no information.

Corey Gameiro - recovering from ACL injury. Close to being back to full training?

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - right foot injury vs. North Geelong. Apparently on crutches after the match. No information.

James Brown - unspecified injury, no information. Germano-esque.

So by my count we have nine senior squad players out though injury, leaving only 14 fit players to call on for a match-day squad.

So the injury list at the moment appears to be;

Michael Zullo - knock on the knee vs. Wellington and did not play against North Geelong.

Ivan Franjic - apparently a "quad injury" picked up at training (we must leave them lying around); not a single minute so far and doubtful for the start of the season.

Ben Garuccio - ankles. Started at nine weeks which has long since expired and no progress report since then. Germano-esque.

Jacob Melling - knee injury worse than first suspected but apparently three weeks away.

Corey Gameiro - recovering from ACL injury. Close to being back to full training?

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - right foot injury vs. North Geelong. Apparently on crutches after the match. No information.

So by my count we have nine senior squad players out though injury, leaving only 14 fit players to call on for a match-day squad.

I am no sport scientist, but you cant have 5 plus years of continuous injury problems like this and put it down to bad luck. People used to say it was because of our shit facilities but it would seem they have not made a difference. What the fuck are we doing to our players?

• Like 2

Match day injuries

Zullo

Garuccio

Melling

Williams

Gamiero

Novillo

Marino

Brown

Training injuries:

Franjic

I think that we can't blame facilities as unlike a few years ago we have few training injuries. We've had a lot of foot injuries, but so do other clubs and this is related to the low level of foot protection afforded by modern boots. 

• Like 1

From a recent interview with Mooy:
"You do a lot of rehab work at Melbourne City which is great, it keeps you on the park. But I'll do extra stretching or rolling, if it gives me an extra 5 per cent chance of staying fit it's better than nothing."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-aaron-mooy-looks-to-take-his-chance-in-socceroos-midfield-battle-20150905-gjg1f4.html

So apparently they are trying? God knows.

Match day injuries

Zullo

Garuccio

Melling

Williams

Gamiero

Novillo

Marino

Brown

Training injuries:

Franjic

I think that we can't blame facilities as unlike a few years ago we have few training injuries. We've had a lot of foot injuries, but so do other clubs and this is related to the low level of foot protection afforded by modern boots. 

Nevertheless, I would like to see comparative lists from the other 9 A-League clubs - although I'm pretty sure that would be impossible.

I think we will have Melling and Gamerio for round 1. I think Zullo not playing against Geelong was just to do with his program. Kuzi is back from getting a hernia cleaned up.

Franjic seems to have things from the asian cup which wernt fixed when he went back to Russia and I think Novillo might be a case of them being ultra cautious. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if the whole club becomes ultra cautious with injuries given the history. 

I remember mooy saying that they have changed the training regime with a focus on 'power' which immediately made me remember Essendon when they brought that dude in from geelong and they had all those soft tissue injuries. Lets hope we can get it right...

• Like 1

Match day injuries

Zullo

Garuccio

Melling

Williams

Gamiero

Novillo

Marino

Brown

Training injuries:

Franjic

To me, Its not so much about "match day" or "training", but rather "impact" or "non-impact".  Impact is a lot harder to avoid.

This season we've had Zullo impact, Franjic & Novillo - non-impact and Merino - not sure.

Gameiro we signed recovering and Garuccio, Brown, Williams & Melling are all in the "still injured" category.

Marino was impact in a tackle as far as I could see - the lights at Port are not too good. And I thought Novillo got a knee in the back of his thigh in the Wellington match.

Whatever, I still think there's also a management issue. For example, Franjic declared himself ready to play against Edgeworth, but JvS insisted he wait a week, and look what happened.

Time will tell whether Leng can do what the previous incumbents could not. IMO injury and injury management will be a significant factor in our competitiveness over the season.

Torn MCL recovery length is about 3 months from surgery, depending on how much rehab you do.

Source: My left and right knees  (Mind that i was in year 12 of high school so I was pretty slack with the rehab)

Edited by haz

Updating:

Injury list at the moment appears to be;

Michael Zullo - knock on the knee vs. Wellington and did not play against North Geelong or Oakleigh.

Ivan Franjic - a "quad injury" picked up at training (we must leave them lying around); not a single minute so far and doubtful for the start of the season.

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington FFA Cup game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - torn medial cruciate ligament sustained vs. Oakleigh. Estimated minimum time out 3 months.

Currently nine senior squad players out though injury.

Nine seems our magic number. Had that many last year too.

hard to dress this up well, the way I read it of those 9, only zullo looks ok for round 1, with Gameiro hopeful. Getting  any of the others up will be a bonus.

Having so many injuries before the season has even started is just terrible.

analysis of the forwards is interesting. We have 10 on the books but 6 are injured! Of the remaining 4 one is just coming back from an ACL injury. no wonder young Zinni is getting a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating:

Michael Zullo - knock on knee - no further information. 

Ivan Franjic - quad injury. Doubtful for Round 1.

Ben Garuccio - doubtful for Round 1. 

Jacob Melling - recovered but needs to build up match fitness.

David Williams - appears to be back training, but no information. 

Corey Gameiro - will not be ready for Round 1. 

Harry Novillo - hamstring in the Wellington FFA Cup game, originally six weeks, doubtful for Round 1.

Marc Marino - torn medial cruciate ligament sustained vs. Oakleigh. Estimated minimum time out 3 months.

James Brown - unspecified injury, Hernan Espindola signed as injury replacement.

Aaron Hughes - unspecified.

Currently ten senior squad players out though injury.

Updating:

Michael Zullo - knock on knee - no further information. 

Ivan Franjic - quad injury. Doubtful for Round 1.

Ben Garuccio - doubtful for Round 1. 

Jacob Melling - recovered but needs to build up match fitness.

David Williams - appears to be back training, but no information. 

Corey Gameiro - will not be ready for Round 1. 

James Brown - unspecified injury, Hernan Espindola signed as injury replacement.

Aaron Hughes - unspecified.

Currently ten senior squad players out though injury.

Watched the club train before family day yesterday, Franjic looked alright, would suspect him to start round 1 or be on bench for sure... Novillo definitely not for round 1 and believe Williams will be on bench.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic