Melbourne Football

Harry Kewell

Murfy1

There's much more to this than a purported "ankle injury." It's a man-management issue.

Heard today from a physio that he's actually injured his hamstring (hence the lengthy layoff) and the club's been trying to play the severity down by claiming smaller, weekly injuries in a continuing, touch-and-go assessment.

Did some digging yesterday, and from what I was told Harry did a soft tissue injury during the derby.

The 'whiplash' story was concocted so he wouldn't have to put up with same old questions about age, fitness etc that were gonna be asked so they decided a cover story was better.

^^FB first with the scoop.

• Like 2

There's much more to this than a purported "ankle injury." It's a man-management issue.

Heard today from a physio that he's actually injured his hamstring (hence the lengthy layoff) and the club's been trying to play the severity down by claiming smaller, weekly injuries in a continuing, touch-and-go assessment.

Did some digging yesterday, and from what I was told Harry did a soft tissue injury during the derby.

The 'whiplash' story was concocted so he wouldn't have to put up with same old questions about age, fitness etc that were gonna be asked so they decided a cover story was better.

^^FB first with the scoop.

FB with the fish... :fb:

The physio??

Here's a slightly longer video of the interview Kewell did yesterday (also you don't need to subscribe to view the video), with an interesting comment or two:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/videos/aleague/Kewell-determined-to-make-it-back/640063/9374/1013/1

(Kewell on Aloisi) "He's still learning his trade and he's coming up, I think, trumps at the moment"... The Heart are yet to win this season...

Say it all really

Our captain is (probably) the lowest paid player in the team and has only played less than 10% out of 720mins of game time this season.

And we want others to take our club seriously!

I never realised a captain is chosen based on his salary

No, but often your wage is a reflection of how highly regarded you are. If you worked at say a cafe and were shift manager, would you take you take your position seriously if you were paid less than everyone else?

*I wouldnt. I would call in sick and play golf instead

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Here's a slightly longer video of the interview Kewell did yesterday (also you don't need to subscribe to view the video), with an interesting comment or two:

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/videos/aleague/Kewell-determined-to-make-it-back/640063/9374/1013/1

(Kewell on Aloisi) "He's still learning his trade and he's coming up, I think, trumps at the moment"... The Heart are yet to win this season...

Say it all really

It does, I mean you expect them to give each other positive feedback cause they're part of the same team. But he can't be serious in saying that. They must think people are stupid, either that or they're delusional.

• Like 1

Our captain is (probably) the lowest paid player in the team and has only played less than 10% out of 720mins of game time this season.

No, but often your wage is a reflection of how highly regarded you are. If you worked at say a cafe and were shift manager, would you take you take your position seriously if you were paid less than everyone else?

If I agreed to those terms and conditions then I was clearly happy with it so yes I would take that position seriously. Kewell could have very easily said fuck you guys I want x amount of dollars. But he didn't because he signed the contract happy with the agreed salary.

If I agreed to those terms and conditions then I was clearly happy with it so yes I would take that position seriously. Kewell could have very easily said fuck you guys I want x amount of dollars. But he didn't because he signed the contract happy with the agreed salary.

I think he knows he has absolutely no other job prospects so negotiating a better deal is never going to happen. I get the impression it was more a case of the club asking him if he wanted the armband and he just said "yeah, why not eh?"

Harry Kewell ready for warm reception as he finally returns to western Sydney

Richard Hinds   The Daily Telegraph   December 06, 2013

HARRY Kewell is well aware his homecoming will not be as heartwarming as some.

Not when he is returning to western Sydney with the enemy.

"I know I'm going to get a lot of stick,'' says Kewell, who flew with the Melbourne Heart squad that will today play Western Sydney Wanderers, but has not yet confirmed if he will be on the park or watch from the stands.

"But after the game, I think they will be good. They can give me as much stick as they like but, in the end, I'm from there. I'm one of them.''

Raised in Smithfield, Kewell is a westy. The son of an English immigrant and product of one of Australia's great football nurseries.

"That's where I'm from, that's where I learnt my trade,'' he says. "That's where it all started.''

If the script was more romantic, Kewell would be playing with the Wanderers. He had discussions with the club while weighing up his future early this year, but the pieces did not fit together. Kewell had no regrets. He has always remembered where he is from, but since leaving for England as a teenager, resisted the urge to return.

"The reason I didn't go back is you don't want to slip into a comfort zone,'' he says. "If you're away from home, you're always up against the elements, you're always fighting to get what you want.

"It was more of a mental thing for me. If you're home it's easy. You slip back into that way of life. I always wanted to test myself.''

Once blessed by his sublime skill, football has tested Kewell severely in the past few years. One injury after another, and an illness in his English wife's family forced him to return to England after a year with the Melbourne Victory, has kept the 35 year-old off the park.

With Melbourne Heart it has been a rare case of whiplash in his first game against Victory, then a training ground ankle injury.

"I've tried to be around, be positive, give my teammates information, let them know they can come to me when they want,'' he says. "But in general, yeah, it's been frustrating.''

More so given Heart have struggled, putting his coach and former Socceroos teammate John Aloisi under pressure. Watching his team create and squander chance after chance is not easy for a man with predatory goal-scoring instincts.

"I'm screaming and shouting probably like every other punter 'Oh my God you can't do that','' says Kewell. "But when you're on the park it's a different ball game."

You wonder why Kewell continues to take the long drive from his home in the southern bayside suburb of Brighton to the Heart's northern training base at La Trobe University for yet more treatment. Why he puts his once glowing reputation on the line. The answer, Kewell insists, is not merely the pursuit of more World Cup glory.

"Everyone is harping on about it. 'He's come back to play in that,'' says Kewell. "But like I've said from day one, my first job is to play well for the Heart. I'm not even thinking about playing for the Socceroos.''

Rather, Kewell insists it is a feeling of "unfinished business'' that has him playing with the Heart. Despite a slow start due to a short preparation, he enjoyed his season withVictory. Believed he played well, and can do so again.

"The reason I'm here,'' he says firmly, "is football.''

But what more football does the man who dazzled with Leeds and Liverpool, and scored iconic World Cup goals for the Socceroos, have to play? Is he not merely jeopardising his own legacy by limping on?

"The only way it would hurt my legacy is if I didn't play good football and I still believe I can,'' he says. "OK, I've had a little bit of misfortune this year. Last year I didn't play. But my last six months at Victory were good.

"I know what I can do on the park. I'm always open for people to criticise my game. It's when they criticise me for things they don't know about, or don't see, that's when I get angry.''

Kewell believes Socceroos' captain Lucas Neil was wrong to bite back at those who booed him during the match against Costa Rica. But, at the same time, he empathises with a fellow member of the so-called "golden generation''.

"What Lucas was trying to say there was these young kids in the A-League have a wonderful opportunity to play in a World Cup,'' says Kewell. "We took it, but week-in week-out we had to fight.

"That's what we are trying to say to the youngsters. Yes, we are 35 or 36. But you know what, we still know how to play the game. If you want this position, take it off us.''

That word, "us'', makes it clear, despite the injuries, the lack of game time and the Socceroos' generational change, Kewell has not given up the dream. That he will come home hoping this is the start of a comeback that will, again, take him a long way away.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/harry-kewell-ready-for-warm-reception-as-he-finally-returns-to-western-sydney/story-fni2fopz-1226777311567

I wonder how Australia's World Cup draw has affected Harry's thought process now.

Does Ange tap Harry on the shoulder and say "the fringe players who are going to the World Cup are going to be youngsters to groom them for 2018 so you aren't required" or does Harry further feed into the delusion regarding where he's at and think to himself, "I can mix it with the very best in the world against the likes of Spain and the Netherlands, bring on Brazil 2014".

Personally I don't see the point of Harry going to Brazil, we aren't going to progress from the group so Ange would be stupid in my opinion to bring 35 year old Harry Kewell in the place of a talented young footballer who could be primed and ready to go in Russia 2018 assuming we qualify.

He was still a bit unfit but we looked so much calmer on the ball when he came on, we actually played in triangles for just about the first time this season which was nice.

yes but of we are relying on someone as brittle as Kewell to have even a semblance of a functional midfield then we are stuffed

Just goes to show how badly this team needs a competent number 10.

Harry's inclusion made us look so much better, if we can get him to stay on the park then it will definitely improve us. If not, we definitely need to be looking for someone who can play that role, and that certainly isn't David Williams