Melbourne Football

Colosimo, Thompson and Bolton

Tbitm

We've been bagging some of these players fairly regularly during the season, but now that they're going it's only right that we can publicly acknowledge their contribution to the club. Effort is not always reflected in results.

I'd like to see a video made of the classic good moments from the boys that are leaving, and that it be shown at half-time at our first home match of next season to give Heart fans a chance to show their appreciation. Have the video narrated by someone like Nicky Kalmar would be a nice gesture too.

People are always crapping on about Heart having no 'identity.' One way we can show who and what we are is to acknowledge players who leave in the way suggested above.

Except this season it was.

Like to add my thanks to the contribution Thommo, Bolton and Fred have made to our club. Hopefully Bolton will get re-signed (note not resigned, that means something else!) as the keeping coach. He was a guy who I never really valued at other clubs until he came to Heart I saw what he contributed week in, week out.

All four were great for the club, however this frees up money as they were some of our highest paid players,a big name marquee player is a must this season, not only for our on field performance but also our numbers

I beg to differ. To Simon, I seriously wish him and his family all the best but he was the shitest c*nt and the most overrated player in the A-league. Absolutely did nothing in terms of performance for 3 seasons. I would never stop renewing my membership but he would be the perfect excuse if I ever did.

• Like 1

That's harsh.

He made some poor mistakes which he was never going to learn from at his age, but he did save us on many occasions. I recall seeing some some stats that Heart had given away one of the least amount of goals.

and although we were totally dominated in some games, we only lost by 2 goals or so. 

I'm glad these guys are gone.

Talk of tribute videos for these guys is ludicrous when we have a single final appearance and have never finished in the top half of the table when they were the backbone of the squad . Makes us look exactly like the small-time, mediocrity-accepting club that we are slowly becoming known as.

These guys are not "legends", they're not long-serving "sons", they were simply footballers who managed to get contracts longer than what they deserved.

Its the Western Bulldogs culture all over: celebrate long-serving players who should have been tapped on the shoulder to make room a lot sooner, simply because there is nothing else to celebrate..

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

Talk of tribute videos for these guys is ludicrous when we have a single final appearance and have never finished in the top half of the table when they were the backbone of the squad . Makes us look exactly like the small-time, mediocrity-accepting club that we are slowly becoming known as.

These guys are not "legends", they're not long-serving "sons", they were simply footballers who managed to get contracts longer than what they deserved.

Its the Western Bulldogs culture all over: celebrate long-serving players who should have been tapped on the shoulder to make room a lot sooner, simply because there is nothing else to celebrate..

Which former Bulldog players are you referring to?

That's harsh.

He made some poor mistakes which he was never going to learn from at his age, but he did save us on many occasions. I recall seeing some some stats that Heart had given away one of the least amount of goals.

Well that is my opinion. He was always a s*it kicker to me

in recent times, Brad Johnson, Rohan Smith, Nathan Eagleton, Scot West-all club champions but all played a season too long and left the club in the state thats in now.  The Western Bulldogs have more 300 gamers than most clubs: other clubs don't allow this to happen beacsue they plan for the future

in recent times, Brad Johnson, Rohan Smith, Nathan Eagleton, Scot West-all club champions but all played a season too long and left the club in the state thats in now.  The Western Bulldogs have more 300 gamers than most clubs: other clubs don't allow this to happen beacsue they plan for the future

I disagree with Johnson. IIRC he was top 5 in the B&F and still in good form in his penultimate year, and his decline was a lot sharper than we could have anticipated. I think a fairer comparism with him would be Garcia, in the sense that Garcia at times this year has been great but his form tapered off towards the end of the season. If Garcia all of a sudden started picking up injuries like Johnson finally did in his last year you could see a similiar trajectory.

Bubba and West I can't recall the circumstances within which they got their final year, but Eagleton should have been cut. I'm not convinced however Eagleton was kept due o a culture of idolising individuals so much as the management team at the time not being ruthless enough. This was the same management team that gave Hooper and Mulligan multiple years.

I'm pleased Heart have cut those they have, the rest of our list aside from Hoffman and Macallister all have upside if they can find consistency/their potential. I just really hope we do have some signings already lined up from other clubs. Would love to poach some quality players from interstate.

I can't believe how many people from other clubs think it was a strange decision to let him go and would like Thompson for their club. Are we just super harsh cause we want the best out of our team? To me Thompson seemed terrible for 95% of the time he played.

I agree he looked bad, but I believe this is because he was played out of position in a system which doesn't suit him and that is why I believe it is fair he was let go.

Thompson looked like he didn't know what he was doing as a defensive mid, and when he came forward seemed to get vertigo, make a bad decision and get back to his def mid position as quick as he could. This I put down to JA & co.

If we were to play a system which suited his play, I would not have objected to him getting another contract. However, there is no place in the team for Matt and so I hope he goes well in the future.

I'm the biggest Thommo fan. As a player he gives 100% every game, and seems a genuinely great bloke.

But his time at MH has been pretty poor mainly due to his average passing ability. The guy is a box to box midfielder, arriving in the box and popping up to score a few goals then hassling the opposition high up the park. He was never suited to a deep lying midfield role where his passing was continually found out, particularly when opposition teams pressed high up the park. The amount of times he turned into trouble was about the same as the amount of succesful passes he made per game.

The coaching staff should've seen this and either moved him to AM or converted him to a full-back, where he's had success in the past with Newcastle Jets. Ideally he should've been kept and used as our LB next season as he's still got a great engine and will always offer an option down the flank for our midfielders to pass to.

Bought a sofa bed on ebay this week, went and picked it up yesterday..... from the apartment of none other than the great Clint Bolton!!! How freakish is that?!

Great guy, told him we will miss him heaps and appreciated his efforts. Great clubman.

Anyway, he's putting his stuff into storage (or selling it obviously!) while he weighs up what he does next. Said a club admin role at Heart has been offered to him but has not decided yet. I think he's a bit gutted and felt like there was unfinished business in his playing career. Told me he was very disappointed with our form this year.

Great to meet him and have a chat - he's tipping Mariners for the title!!

• Like 5

Bolton's expectation of a contract extension (and Thompson too) is very revealing about the culture amongst the senior players.

Let me see Clint: you've been a senior player for the past 3 years, at a club that has never finished in the top half of the table, have just finished last and were the worst professional team in the country, have been benched for about half the season, but you expected the club to do continue on the same path and give you another playing contract?

That to me suggests a culture of entitlement amongst some players, that they were too comfortable about their positions in the team.  

And they fucking played that way, as we all saw with their heartless efforts.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen comments from both Bolton and Thompson on their releases. Anyone seen anything from Fred or Colosimo? I wonder how they feel about their departures?

Haven't heard anything from Simon but Fred seemed pretty cut when he was told we weren't re-signing him. I can't believe he thought he was going to get a new contract, the guy didn't even play half the season!

I've seen comments from both Bolton and Thompson on their releases. Anyone seen anything from Fred or Colosimo? I wonder how they feel about their departures?

Haven't heard anything from Simon but Fred seemed pretty cut when he was told we weren't re-signing him. I can't believe he thought he was going to get a new contract, the guy didn't even play half the season!

sounded pretty upset on facebook.... 

Whats the situation with all 3 + Fred in terms of there whereabouts in the future? any news or updates

a friend of mine that lives in clifton hill said he saw fred training with the senior team. They're like state div 2 so i doubt he's playing there but it seems likely that he wants to live in australia

I read a tweet (and retweeted it) last night which showed that Redders told the coffee shop guy that Thommo is moving to Brisbane. Thommo said thanks for the well wishes to the coffee shop guy and Hoffman said he needed to ring Thommo about "that thing". Make of that what you will, but there must be something in Brisbane for the Thompson family.

With regards to Fred, I heard that he is likely to go back to Brazil, with the hope of possibly playing football there. I also heard that he is considering pursuing a contract to play football in India. He did want Australian citizenship, but it looks like, for the moment, that football will take him elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a video of Arthur Pappas on twg i think recently, looks like he's really flourishing over there.

If i were Matty T i'd take it  - living in Goa + playing easy football for decent wages, yes please.

Edited by Che